Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

I'm cool with Amita and they seem like a decent candidate based on tweets I've seen. I like Svend better, though.

Yeah, I think I might even volunteer a bit for him. I'd like to ask if he just saw an opportunity to grab some bourgeois bullshit and panic-ed when he say the camera, but he said it was just based on stress and bipolarity. I'll probably support him either way, but I'd prefer the former.

Edit: Although there is a communist party candidate in this riding as well....Hmmm...

Ardent Communist fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Being nonbinary and pansexual is cool because you can call yourself an enby pan.

Also when the gently caress am I gonna get to get my actual gender on my birth certificate, quebec??

64fanatic
Oct 21, 2008

So crazy? DON'T MIND IF I DO!
I'll be sure to write my pretend vote for anything besides Conservative in crayon, and then set it on fire revving an ATV in a dust-dry forest somewhere in Alberta. It'd be worth just as much as actually voting here with FPTP. Thanks, Justin!

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/Justin_Ling/status/1166894509835390981?s=20

Drama in Oshawa

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

The Dark One posted:

Also when the gently caress am I gonna get to get my actual gender on my birth certificate, quebec??

Had to renew a fishing license a couple weeks back and was curious if there would be an other/none category due to the passport thing, but doesn't seem to have filtered down that far yet.

Eye colour and height to the cm, we better get that though.

Even dumber I'm not sure how this is supposed to be any sort of enforcement mechanism, for $30 it just spits out a PDF which is trivial to edit, then you've just got the empty spaces to fill to claim your limited catch. This has to be almost pure honesty system because I haven't been pulled over by DFO in like 10 years, even in some of the hottest salmon spots in the country.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

drat this might cost jagmeet the majority

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

How the hell is a leader of the provincial wing of CUPE, and former leader of the Ontario Federation of Labour, not a lock for the NDP nomination? :wtc:

fake edit: in Oshawa of all places

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

tagesschau posted:

How the hell is a leader of the provincial wing of CUPE, and former leader of the Ontario Federation of Labour, not a lock for the NDP nomination? :wtc:

Well he's run and lost in Oshawa four times.

And he's personally unpopular within the party, both for personality-related reasons and because he's seen as having been too close to the Wynne government (including media hits supporting her) during his tenure as head of OFL.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

painted into a coroner posted:

Sure, they said they will apply it to everything,

Everyone applies their inherent biases to the things they say and do. There's nothing wrong with a candidate drawing a circle around that fact when they talk, and anyone who suggests it does probably has a bigger axe to grind with the candidates [prohibited grounds]-ness than with the topic being debated.

tagesschau posted:

The only way this makes sense is if they were acclaiming him when he felt he ought not to have been, but who in his right mind pulls the pin for that?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

tagesschau posted:

At least we aren't hearing the NDP lament the plight of the "job creators" this election cycle.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

The only way this makes sense is if they were acclaiming him when he felt he ought not to have been, but who in his right mind pulls the pin for that?
Nah, his reason for withdrawing checks out. The party was screwing him to make it hard for him to get the nomination, and if he read between the lines he understood he'd also have very little support in the general if he did win.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Lassitude posted:

At least we aren't hearing the NDP lament the plight of the "job creators" this election cycle.

Uh

quote:

New Democrats are calling on the government to extend a helping hand to small businesses – the biggest job creators in Canada – and place a hard cap on credit card transaction fees that have been gouging our local businesses for years.

Implementing a maximum 1% merchant fee cap will help small businesses thrive – and that means stronger family businesses and stable, good jobs in communities across Canada.

https://www.ndp.ca/end-unfair-fees

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

fuuuuuu

Oh well, change the party from within etc.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Wow, really going hard for those CFIB votes, huh?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Lassitude posted:

fuuuuuu

Oh well, change the party from within etc.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Nah, his reason for withdrawing checks out. The party was screwing him to make it hard for him to get the nomination, and if he read between the lines he understood he'd also have very little support in the general if he did win.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Dippers... gonna... dip?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Stop making me depressed guys.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Lassitude posted:

Stop making me depressed guys.

quote:

Elizabeth May, Leader of the Green Party of Canada (Saanich – Gulf Islands), emphasized the Green Party’s commitment to Canadian small businesses owners at the Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce.

“Today, small businesses owners are the real job creators in Canada and employ over 60 percent of Canadians,” stated Ms. May.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
small business middle class small business middle class small business middle class SMALL BUSINESS MIDDLE CLASS SMALL BUSINESS MIDDLE CLASS SMALL BUSINESS MIDDLE CLASS

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I'm not in love with the small business framing but capping merchant fees is legitimately a good thing, Visa/MC are using their monopoly power to amass huge profits by skimming off the top of a huge portion of all transactions.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

It's the use of the American conservative terminology in an ostensibly left-wing party that's got me in a tizzy. The actual content of that plank is okay otherwise.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

I'm not in love with the small business framing but capping merchant fees is legitimately a good thing, Visa/MC are using their monopoly power to amass huge profits by skimming off the top of a huge portion of all transactions.

I was about to point out that Interac exists, but then I stopped and thought about how many retail transactions are made with the customer's own money.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Green MPs would look at all new legislation through the lens of Small Business

quote:

Bruce Hyer, Green Party Deputy Leader and candidate (Thunder Bay—Superior North), continued

“Green MPs will reduce two things for small businesses: both Red Tape and the small business tax rate. Enacting the ‘Think Small First’ legislation will ensure that new federal laws and regulations enhance, rather than hinder, an economic environment where small business can thrive.

“As the owner of three successful small businesses myself, I understand the challenges that small businesses face. When I am re-elected this fall I will work to make Canadian small businesses, the people that own them, and the people they employ, a high government priority.”

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Small business and those working for them.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

I was about to point out that Interac exists, but then I stopped and thought about how many retail transactions are made with the customer's own money.

There are still merchant services fees on Interac, just lesser ones, I guess

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Green MPs would look at all new legislation through the lens of Small Business

As a small business owner I often wonder if the major parties could be any more on my dick, the answer is no, no they could not.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao at the greens reducing "red tape"

they couldn't be more transparently neoliberal if they tried

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just a reminder that Andrew Weaver is an advocate for school choice. gently caress all the Greens.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

flakeloaf posted:

My BMO Interac card literally uses Mastercard, though.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Hey The Butcher you should probably watch this to have a better idea of what "Gendered Lens" means and how it's actually super important for good legislation, and the effects it had in Sweden when it was applied

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udSjBbGwJEg

Then read the comments and see who you sound like

Stop thinking yourself as the default "normal" and that everyone else is abnormal and should instead be more normal like you.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

My BMO Interac card literally uses Mastercard, though.

TD and Scotia are Visa, too.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

NZAmoeba posted:

Hey The Butcher you should probably watch this to have a better idea of what "Gendered Lens" means and how it's actually super important for good legislation, and the effects it had in Sweden when it was applied

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udSjBbGwJEg

Then read the comments and see who you sound like

Stop thinking yourself as the default "normal" and that everyone else is abnormal and should instead be more normal like you.

Also here is a cool article about how city planning through a gendered lens in Vienna led to a better city for everyone:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/may/14/city-with-a-female-face-how-modern-vienna-was-shaped-by-women

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

infernal machines posted:

There are still merchant services fees on Interac, just lesser ones, I guess

Cheapest:

Interac Debit: Merchant endpoint fees are fixed (not a percentage) and generally are like 25c - $1.00

Medium Cost:

Visa/MC Debit transactions - roughly 1% of payment

Higher Cost:

Visa/MC Credit transactions - roughly 2%-3% of payment [depends on type of card]

Highest Cost:

Amex/speciality cards - 3.5-5% of payment

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

unknown posted:

Cheapest:

Interac Debit: Merchant endpoint fees are fixed (not a percentage) and generally are like 25c - $1.00

Medium Cost:

Visa/MC Debit transactions - roughly 1% of payment

Higher Cost:

Visa/MC Credit transactions - roughly 2%-3% of payment [depends on type of card]

Highest Cost:

Amex/speciality cards - 3.5-5% of payment

Guess businesses either have a good reason to accept Amex or don't have a choice in the matter

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

vyelkin posted:

Also here is a cool article about how city planning through a gendered lens in Vienna led to a better city for everyone:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/may/14/city-with-a-female-face-how-modern-vienna-was-shaped-by-women

Only thing I thought was stupid/wrong about the article was the expectation that only women or people with feminist views knew what was best. But they did call it out and say they are looking at making it a unisex type of view.

From my point of view as a civil engineer all the design ideas they introduce are just common sense ideas that make the neighborhood better. It probably is just a failing of the article that they can't condense all the little bits that change the city from male dominated to unisex.

I want walkable cities, I like parks, I like to bike around on protected pathways, Benches I never thought about but its nice to have areas to hang out and sit, extra Lighting I believe helps fight crime in general.

In fact if you ignored the gendered lens it seems like its just making a city more sustainable, by enhancing non-car use.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
been rewatching Nardwuar's election videos... my question is: who will do the Hip Flip this time around?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Chillyrabbit posted:

Only thing I thought was stupid/wrong about the article was the expectation that only women or people with feminist views knew what was best. But they did call it out and say they are looking at making it a unisex type of view.

From my point of view as a civil engineer all the design ideas they introduce are just common sense ideas that make the neighborhood better. It probably is just a failing of the article that they can't condense all the little bits that change the city from male dominated to unisex.

I want walkable cities, I like parks, I like to bike around on protected pathways, Benches I never thought about but its nice to have areas to hang out and sit, extra Lighting I believe helps fight crime in general.

In fact if you ignored the gendered lens it seems like its just making a city more sustainable, by enhancing non-car use.

It's CPTED by another name, and no worse an idea than it was the first time.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Guess businesses either have a good reason to accept Amex or don't have a choice in the matter

Many don't. If a given business is likely to not accept any of the big credit cards, its probably Amex they wont take.

But their fee differences aren't as big as they used to be because Amex kept losing market share. Nowadays its like 1.0-2.0% for visa/MC/disc and 1.5-2.5% for amex. Not a huge difference.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Chillyrabbit posted:

You might think it's commonsense from the point of view of someone who likes to walk and bike and so on. But I think a crucial part of the article is here:

quote:

Like most European cities then and now, Vienna was being designed by male planners for men like them: going between home and work, by car or public transport, at mostly set times. There was no accounting for unpaid labour such as childcare or shopping, carried out mostly by women, in many short journeys on foot during the day.

Sabina Riss, an architect and lecturer at Vienna University of Technology’s Department of Housing, says this male-dominated thinking was evident in most large European cities after the second world war: “They designed cities like there would be no other people than men going to work in the morning and coming back in the evening – everything else in between, they kind of had no idea. And because they are the people who design cities, they are in charge.”

Before gender mainstreaming, the city was designed around a lifestyle that is gendered extremely heavily towards men, the male breadwinner model of the man who drive to work in the morning and drives home at night, without even accounting for the needs of the other half of the breadwinner couple, the woman who stays at home but needs to go for walks with her children, or do the shopping, or whatever, while the man is out with the family car parked at work. Because the city was being designed by men who did that, and they were so blinded to others' perspectives that they never stopped to consider that people existed who lived lives other than the ones they personally experienced.

The sections later on about, for example, inviting only female architects to submit designs for a housing project despite women only being 6% of all architects at the time, are conscious efforts to undo that existing bias in how the city was structured by men for men.

And the bit about it being women versus being unisex is also an interesting point, because there it seems like they're mostly just following the data:

quote:

Later, a follow-up postal survey by the women’s organisation of the governing Social Democratic party led to a breakthrough revelation: roughly two-thirds of car journeys were made by men, while two-thirds of those on foot were by women. “That was really an ‘a-ha’ moment,” says Kail. For the first time, she was able to prove that men and women’s experiences of city living were different – and women’s were being overlooked entirely.

You can read that data as saying "both men and women are making car journeys and foot journeys, and therefore helping foot journeys helps both genders" but there's a huge skew in the data that shows helping foot journeys disproportionately helps women and helping car journeys disproportionately helps men. There is absolutely an issue with how the particular way they've implemented gender mainstreaming may perpetuate essentialized gender norms. For example, there's no rule in male versus female brains that says men like cars and women like walking, or that men like basketball and women like volleyball, or that men like playing sports while women like watching sports from a nearby bench. In a perfectly gender-fluid utopia, all that infrastructure may be being used by men and women equally. But right now, in our heavily-gendered society, accounting for the things women are actually doing in their daily lives, and not what we wish women would be doing, seems to have made a big difference in including women in the city. And that's acknowledged in the article as well:

quote:

“It is very political, what is regulated and what is neglected,” she says. Gender mainstreaming has been criticised as cementing traditional gender roles – for example, by equating childcare with women’s work – but she takes a pragmatic view. “You can’t influence the share of unpaid work by architecture, but you can support it. We would hope it would support 50% of men as well – but statistics show it is still more women doing that work.”

Hopefully gender mainstreaming will in the future help facilitate 50% of men taking walks and pushing prams and so on, but right now it specifically helps women because women are still pushed into those roles. And of course the conclusion, as you mention, is that the result doesn't feel like a feminist utopia, it just feels like good civil engineering:

quote:

Aspern doesn’t feel like a “feminist utopia”, as Kail once described the women’s office. Rather, it comes across – in its cohesion, sense of established community and lively public spaces – as simply a very well-designed neighbourhood. Therein lies the importance of gender mainstreaming, says Kail, as well as the difficulty in arguing its case: “If it didn’t happen, we would feel it. But as long as it happens, we don’t see it.

“If they’ve really accepted it, it becomes invisible.”

Because it turns out that including the whole population when you plan a city, and not the handful of men who are drawing up the plans, benefits everyone.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 29, 2019

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So someone on reddit, using papers he must have gotten from Google Scholar, is saying increasing minimum wage jobs is a net loss for society.

https://www.aeaweb.org/articles?id=10.1257/aer.20171445

https://www.nber.org/papers/w23532

quote:

Alright, well enjoy your even higher prices and lower hours worked by minimum wage employees, and overall lower earnings on aggregate for all those who are in the minimum wage bracket.

Nothing says bad policy more than doing things that hurt the people that the policy aims to help! But of course, understanding economics is hard so if an idea sounds good, it's gotta be good, right?

Is it just that theres papers on both sides?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

So someone on reddit, using papers he must have gotten from Google Scholar, is saying increasing minimum wage jobs is a net loss for society.

https://www.aeaweb.org/articles?id=10.1257/aer.20171445

https://www.nber.org/papers/w23532

Is it just that theres papers on both sides?

It’s one of the most contentious topics in economic research as referenced in the first sentence of that first paper. There have been rivalries of economists going back and forth with rebuttals of each other’s work on minimum wage. That being said I don’t see how that first paper is saying minimum wage increases are a net loss? It’s also actually published unlike the other one