Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

This one's pretty sublime

This is some crazy niche crossover meme and I am 100% here for it.

e 239 is the number of chapters in the Book of Mormon. It is both longer and makes more sense than the government's brexit plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Guavanaut posted:

This one's pretty sublime

lmao at bottom right, that's perfect

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Dead Goon posted:

I remember there being something about having to be over 35 years old to be President, shouldn't there be an upper limit so people suffering obvious signs of dementia aren't allowed anywhere near this sort of power?

[edit] and that, of course, applies to all politicians/ leaders everywhere across the World.

Have you forgotten about this?:

quote:

“Over the past twelve months, he has lost at least fifteen pounds,” Bornstein wrote. “Mr. Trump takes 81 mg of aspirin daily and a low dose of a statin. His PSA test score is 0.15 (very low). His physical strength and stamina are extraordinary.”

He added that Trump’s blood pressure was 110/65, which is “astonishingly excellent” and that his “cardiovascular status is excellent”. According to Bornstein, the business magnate has never had cancer, nor has he ever had a “hip, knee, or shoulder replacement, or any other orthopedic surgery”. Bornstein did admit that Trump had had an appendectomy at the age of 10, which must not have been excellent.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/14/donald-trump-health-doctor-letter-americas-healthiest-president

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Oh yes, superhuman Trump.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

You can't post that and not accompany it with Billy West giving his performance of a lifetime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHIjmGoSSow

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Vlex posted:

You can't post that and not accompany it with Billy West giving his performance of a lifetime

You can't post that without posting this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uu0d_UHNa4

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Vlex posted:

WhatEvil posted:

You can't post that without posting this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uu0d_UHNa4

https://twitter.com/bronzehammer/status/782408312730095616

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Tony Blair was happy that his decision had led to the deaths of millions. After being told that the Iraqi dictator had a large group of U.S. soldiers in one of his castles, Blair went to his room to see if he could turn the power supply back on. "I had a brief flash in my mind," the former PM was reported to have said, "I realised that I had a problem." The power was gone and Blair, by this time fully resigned for many things and also for having lost the trust of his prime minister, was able to turn the generator back on and the troops back into the living world. The incident is probably best known to you to those who witnessed the final moments of the terrorist attack on September 11th, 2001 when the president was standing on the South Portico of the White House and watched the building collapse. Bush had to ask him (or someone) what the hell was going on, and if it was an accident or a terror attack. The latter hypothesis has also been suggested before, but the facts are not in dispute. Blair was not yet prime minister yet when the 9-11 attacks occurred,

You really can't dispute those facts!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

WhatEvil posted:

“Over the past twelve months, he has lost at least fifteen pounds,”

Holy poo poo thats over a pound a month !! :eyepop:

/Trump running up stairs like Rocky

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Holy poo poo thats over a pound a month !! :eyepop:

/Trump running up stairs like Rocky

Dont be daft - Trump is scared of stairs.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Communist Bear posted:

Dont be daft - Trump is scared of stairs.

Wouldn't surprise me if he had them in his house though.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Trump is a fyad ai

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

BYOP(M)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Hey, you remember how we were all pointing and laughing at UnHerd? Turns out they have actually provided a useful piece of info about the political situation of the UK (even if they themselves don't quite understand it) - Dominic Cummings is a LessWronger.

Jesus Christ we're all doomed.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Darth Walrus posted:

Hey, you remember how we were all pointing and laughing at UnHerd? Turns out they have actually provided a useful piece of info about the political situation of the UK (even if they themselves don't quite understand it) - Dominic Cummings is a LessWronger.

keep calm and tim chivers on

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Darth Walrus posted:

Looking forward to the 15% AI Tithe that keeps us all from electronic damnation.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

"M'colleague" :gonk:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Darth Walrus posted:

So his plan once he has complete control over the UK is to devote all our resources towards artificial intelligence, so as to avoid the wrath of Roko's Basilisk?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Darth Walrus posted:

quote:

Dominic Cummings and I share some interests, to my slight chagrin. Both he and I are big fans of the nerdy, abstruse bit of the internet filled with people who are sometimes called “Rationalists”.

*5000 words about trying to make playing chicken sound intellectual*

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Party Boat posted:

So his plan once he has complete control over the UK is to devote all our resources towards artificial intelligence, so as to avoid the wrath of Roko's Basilisk?

And that's still a more coherent plan for the country than they've had since the referendum.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

What is UnHerd and why should we be pointing and laughing at it?

e: Google provides. "Most Read: Meghan and Harry are playing a dangerous game"

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 29, 2019

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Reminder that the "Saaj" is a bona-fide libertarian as well and he's the chancellor of the exchequer.

I wrote his nickname out in arabic first but then I didn't think anyone would get the joke and people would think it's racist. It's kinda funny though, means "a sheet".

e: Wait, again, this isn't CSPAM. Dammit.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 29, 2019

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/NickGarnettBBC/status/1167071636031512576?s=19

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Only tengentially UK-related but still needs to be seen:

https://twitter.com/utdxtra/status/1167109816088743936?s=21

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Noxville posted:

*sniff* and so on and so on

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Noxville posted:

I got a kick out of it.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Did not see that coming.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Noxville posted:

Not sure about the direction they're taking Luke in the new Star Wars tbh.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How can the parliament be suspended and why does it need the Queen's approval? What kind of democratic system is that?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

punk rebel ecks posted:

How can the parliament be suspended and why does it need the Queen's approval? What kind of democratic system is that?

A bad one it turns out, op

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Welcome to the UK. Everything needs the queen's approval and Parliament works on the same calendar as school holidays.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Technically the Queen summons parliament to give her advice. She isn't obliged to summon it and she doesn't have to take said advice.

I wonder if Ship Money is still on the books...

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I thought the Queen was like the First Ladybin America. Absolutely zero hard power, just soft power at best. Simply a figurehead.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yes nobody who knows anything thought there was ever any chance of the queen intervening.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Well in theory she actually has overriding power of the government but in practice if she ever used it except in the direst circumstances she'd probably get guillotined right-quick.

Her position is a bit more like a President in a country which has both a President and a Prime Minister (like Ireland).

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

I thought the Queen was like the First Ladybin America. Absolutely zero hard power, just soft power at best. Simply a figurehead.

basically she is, all she's done is rubber-stamp Boris's request, because not doing so would represent her getting involved in Government and Parliamentary processes

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

yeah the hot hatch is really where it's at

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I guess it's like the electoral college right - you have a small number of representatives who actually have a vote, and technically they don't all have to vote the way their state's electorate told them to... but they still do because there'd be big trouble and a constitutional crisis if they actually exercised their power

Novara did a thing with Aaron Bastani discussing what all this means, and Aaron was hammering on the point that this isn't a coup, it's the system working as designed (as much as a collection of weird precedents and political mechanisms built up over centuries can be designed). Bojo isn't stepping outside of the system here, he's just doing what was always available, and we just relied on this idea that "you don't do that" to prevent it from happening. So really we need to look at reforming the whole mess, because what we have now is arcane and unknown and there's a lot of people crossing their fingers and going "her maj will doubtless move to block this" like they're watching another yass slay period drama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Also the idea alone of the Queen going against a sitting prime minister on a political matter of this size is completely insane. It's just fubpee wish-fulfillment that there's a genie in a lamp that can just *poof* fix poo poo.

He's the, poorly chosen by five people, Prime Minister still, and if she'd gone against him she'd have precipitated an insane monarchy-constitutional crisis on top of the already idiotic and insane Brexit-constitutional crisis. Brenda's kept her nose out of this poo poo since she ascended the throne, she's for poo poo sure not gonna change that over this issue.

That's not to say that the whole system doesn't need to be torn out and revised, but within what you have, any other outcome would be (even more) ludicrous.