Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

*whispers*

I do not consider Josh a core cast member, no matter what the keys think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Trevor Hale posted:

*whispers*

Well there is an opening....

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Alternate universe Martin will join the main cast to really up the singing game

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Just noticed the actor who plays Josh was in an episode of The Office. He was the kid who was maybe gonna be an intern in the episode where they go to the school career fair.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Trevor Hale posted:

*whispers*

HOW

DARE

YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The drug dealer is always a core guy.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I was going to react with angry disagreement as well, but my brother pointed out that Josh was not at the bonfire scene. I had to concede the point, for now. But I shall be correct in the long run.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Eltoasto posted:

I was going to react with angry disagreement as well, but my brother pointed out that Josh was not at the bonfire scene. I had to concede the point, for now. But I shall be correct in the long run.

They left Josh out because it was just the main cast who were in the pilot/first episode of the show.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

mastajake posted:

Just noticed the actor who plays Josh was in an episode of The Office. He was the kid who was maybe gonna be an intern in the episode where they go to the school career fair.

He's Frasier's kid as well!

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

eke out posted:

my recollection is that over the course of the first season it went from "okay" to "actually this is pretty good?" and then after that it's legit good

all the characterization definitely gets a lot better

Had it on the background all day today doing some data entry, looked up to watch Julie steal some filing cabinets of spells but then her mate just oozed blood everywhere and that was surprisingly cool and brutal so gonna watch it all again properly.

From half-watching up to whatever episode that is though, Quentin is likeable enough but I don't know if he's meant to be hapless or a prodigy it seems to vacillate wildly between scenes. I don't buy Alice at all she seems to be both a diligent student learning all the time but then the show tells me she already knows it all and there's apparently no point her being there besides brother drama, seems dumb. Penny is an unlikeable knobhead without a cause, feels like a plot/scene drama device more than a character. I like the bitchy hedge witch but she's not really a compelling villain when they've already shown the moth dude exists. Elliot is good, obviously kind of a 'this is how brakebills works' device but I still like him.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

The show is better than all of your “obviously”s

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
SDCC preview. Quests!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3UDaamxQ8E

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
What a pig!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shuffle posted:

What a pig!

A sexist pig no less

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Just wrapped this up, and gosh.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Vitamin P posted:

Had it on the background all day today doing some data entry, looked up to watch Julie steal some filing cabinets of spells but then her mate just oozed blood everywhere and that was surprisingly cool and brutal so gonna watch it all again properly.

From half-watching up to whatever episode that is though, Quentin is likeable enough but I don't know if he's meant to be hapless or a prodigy it seems to vacillate wildly between scenes. I don't buy Alice at all she seems to be both a diligent student learning all the time but then the show tells me she already knows it all and there's apparently no point her being there besides brother drama, seems dumb. Penny is an unlikeable knobhead without a cause, feels like a plot/scene drama device more than a character. I like the bitchy hedge witch but she's not really a compelling villain when they've already shown the moth dude exists. Elliot is good, obviously kind of a 'this is how brakebills works' device but I still like him.

If you're still going around 100% would appreciate hearing your take as a you keep going. I'm desperately looking for a friend to sit down and watch the series through again with me before S5 drops in a few months.

I think a lot of your takes are pretty on-point for season 1, and are super intentional (maybe not at the time, but they certainly used that extremely effectively) given how the show's thesis is functionally entirely about them all growing up.

Penny especially. Like--all of them, but Penny especially.

cool kids inc. posted:

Just wrapped this up, and gosh.

Peaches and plums, motherfucker.

Sab Sabbington fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 25, 2019

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

ThePagey posted:

If you're still going around 100% would appreciate hearing your take as a you keep going. I'm desperately looking for a friend to sit down and watch the series through again with me before S5 drops in a few months.

I think a lot of your takes are pretty on-point for season 1, and are super intentional (maybe not at the time, but they certainly used that extremely effectively) given how the show's thesis is functionally entirely about them all growing up.

Penny especially. Like--all of them, but Penny especially.

I just finished the episode where Penny has a tree growing inside his stab wound and Quentin and Alice properly get together.

The ice castle could have carried another episode and it felt wasted, Quentin and Alice having this fake drama fox-pheromone-so-is-it-real? stuff was just dumb, they're both beyond normal TV hot and the plot had built a believable connection between them so why soap opera it out, especially when it took time away from the faux-nihilist vodka guy that was the only compelling teacher so far.

Penny seemed to briefly be getting fun when he splashed into that classroom but then he went right back to boring arsehole, all the growth he got at the ice castle is just being ignored, I want to like him but the show is pushing this Virgin Quentin vs Chad Penny so hard when the best scenes for both characters are the ones that show that dynamic isn't real.

Julia going to the mundane rehab place for implicit magic addiction and the chaplain guy that knows magic is real but is putting his own spin on the understanding of it is good it's the first time I've really found her plot interesting.

Elliot is very much carrying the show for me though. His relationship with the blonde dude that he ended up just murking felt very real, like the Elliot character story was always building to him dropping the performatism and finding someone he genuinely cares about, and then having to just kill the guy, it was genuinely good drama and a proper character moment, I'm curious to see how he handles it going forward.

Posh english lady murked surprised me.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Elliott and Margo carried season 1 for me. It's about to get real interesting though.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Eltoasto posted:

Elliott and Margo carried season 1 for me. It's about to get real interesting though.

Margo still feels like a handbag that speaks but yeah the Elliott scenes have been boom. Especially once he got with the blonde guy, the scenes of them being comfortable in bed together really sold the relationship with only a few scant seconds of screentime, there was an easy intimacy there that I think lots of shows would shy away from, and then it led to Elliott being brutal stark. It was good character stuff, and I like Elliott even more now.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

If you’re unhappy because it seems like Penny isn’t getting any character growth, I strongly encourage you to keep watching because he has the best arc out of the entire cast.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

Bussamove posted:

If you’re unhappy because it seems like Penny isn’t getting any character growth, I strongly encourage you to keep watching because he has the best arc out of the entire cast.

I'd argue Q comes close, but then we're getting close to spoiling our buddy here.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Rhyno posted:

The cast has reported for work on the new season!

For some reason I thought last season’s ending was the series ending. Was this ever the case or am I just remembering wrong?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

For some reason I thought last season’s ending was the series ending. Was this ever the case or am I just remembering wrong?

That ending was pretty much all about setting up the next season.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Boris Galerkin posted:

The renewal was announced before s5 finished airing, I dont think it was ever intended to end there. They shot stuff for season 6 during the s5 finale shoot.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm probably thinking of the wrong show then. Thanks.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I didn't know the show was being renewed when I watched the last episode and it super felt like a series finale so no, you're probably not remembering wrong. The episode, despite leaving a few hints behind as to what the new season could be about, did very much carry the vibe of closing the book on the series.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Unless the entire season was shot and wrapped before S4 started airing it wasn’t the case. They announced the renewal before the first episode even aired.

Judging from the scene they aired for S5 they planned that all along and meant for S5 to be a full repudiation of the whole chosen one thing that the books were originally about before the author fell in love with Quentin.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 29, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Also everyone except Q and Penny 2 get a set up for their next arc. It didn't feel final at all.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I imagine it felt final to those who need a white dude to identify with.

Not an attack on anyone here necessarily. Those ones will out themselves eventually.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Loucks posted:

Not an attack on anyone here necessarily. Those ones will out themselves eventually.

Peaches and plums

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Josh and Elliot are still around.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Loucks posted:

This is a turn in terms of "opinions I've heard about Magicians." Why so dark?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Unless the entire season was shot and wrapped before S4 started airing it wasn’t the case. They announced the renewal before the first episode even aired.
The separation in our line of discussion comes from what is fact vs what the vibe of the episode was. I understand the fact that they were always going to have another season. However, in the heat of the moments of the final episode, if you didn't know that fact then it's easy to construe it as an ending with a few "new beginnings" for everyone involved that could end up leading to a new season but didn't have to. Like, say... if SyFy decided to drop the show despite how popular it was. Y'know... like that other super popular original they had... The Expanse?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

DaveKap posted:

Like, say... if SyFy decided to drop the show despite how popular it was. Y'know... like that other super popular original they had... The Expanse?

Thankfully, the issues with The Expanse don't exist with The Magicians. With the Expanse, SyFy only had first run rights in the US. They didn't have syndication or global distribution rights. They would only make money on advertising the first time around. As it's a very expensive show, it (sadly) made sense for them to cancel it.

Thankfully, none of that is true for The Magicians. Plus, The Magicians is cheaper, so they make a lot more money on that show.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

gently caress there’s a panel with Eliot and Alice at Dragoncon going on right now but I’m not at the right hotel ughhhhhh

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

Thankfully, the issues with The Expanse don't exist with The Magicians. With the Expanse, SyFy only had first run rights in the US. They didn't have syndication or global distribution rights. They would only make money on advertising the first time around. As it's a very expensive show, it (sadly) made sense for them to cancel it.

Thankfully, none of that is true for The Magicians. Plus, The Magicians is cheaper, so they make a lot more money on that show.
Yeah, I knew about The Expanse's cancellation details but didn't bother to look up (if it's even public) what deal SyFy has with The Magicians, so I have no way of knowing what deal SyFy does have with it. Really, the deal with The Expanse was so weird (sorta like Sony's deal with Marvel about Spiderman) I kinda just don't trust anything to stick around if it's good. Something Firefly fans dealt with a long time ago but as a non-fan of that show, I didn't.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Bussamove posted:

"You can't possibly want to be a dick more than you want to live," the show is self-aware about Penny at least.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Loucks posted:

:allears:

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Alice wasn't pregnant at the end of last season, was she? I'm not asking this in a usual "Goons are bad at watching TV" way, just a thought that occurred to me and I'd be real disappointed if they pulled that old cliche.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Alice wasn't pregnant at the end of last season, was she? I'm not asking this in a usual "Goons are bad at watching TV" way, just a thought that occurred to me and I'd be real disappointed if they pulled that old cliche.

No and I don't recall her and Quentin having time to have banged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Not unless they revealed they banged when Quentin was time swapped.