Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I’d be wary if I was a company to undo all this stuff until after Election Day.

Shits gonna get nasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

The LibDem defender has logged on

I'm actually from the US. Aside from Charles Kennedy having been quite funny and a good sport about it, the Libdems are useless too.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1167078826180009984

womp womp

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

oh hey glad the republicans changed their platform re: Ukraine during the 2016 convention

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/29/politics/trump-ukraine-military-assistance/index.html

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

trump might order CAS on the hurricane if it was the A-10

wouldn't it be air to air tho

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

It's really the dumbest loving OIG investigation I've ever heard of. There's an ongoing, massive legal/ethical clusterfuck in the DOJ and they decided to investigate whether Comey's memos had classified information in them when he gave them to the NYT in the push for a Special Counsel.

Failing that, the OIG yelled about Comey setting a "bad example" and "declining prosecution" on said memos.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Current Event: :tinfoil:

https://twitter.com/DARPA/status/1166736432901308416

quote:

Attention, city dwellers! We're interested in identifying university-owned or commercially managed underground urban tunnels & facilities able to host research & experimentation. https://go.usa.gov/xVWCn

It's short notice... We're asking for responses by Aug. 30 at 5:00 PM ET.

The ideal space would be a human-made underground environment spanning several city blocks w/ complex layout & multiple stories, including atriums, tunnels & stairwells. Spaces that are currently closed off from pedestrians or can be temporarily used for testing are of interest.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://gizmodo.com/why-does-darpa-need-a-huge-underground-facility-by-frid-1837668478

they're doing a subterranean challenge this year and wanted to find locations supposedly

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Columbia University has a ton of these. They used them in the late 19th century to move students and teachers around when it was snowing out, and later moved plutonium through them during the Manhattan project.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/DARPA/status/1166785747350892546

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

I’d be wary if I was a company to undo all this stuff until after Election Day.

Shits gonna get nasty.

It'll all be held up in court until well after he leaves office.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wonder Free posted:

I am a NOAA Corps Officer (like the Coast Guard but more obscure) and we fly P-3’s through the center at 10k feet. We have two P-3’s that do this, and a G-IV that flies around the storm and is boring. The Air Force has the 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron that has 10 C-130’s that do similar missions to the P-3, but don’t do anywhere near the kind of research we do.

We do fly typhoons sometimes but usually we are stateside for hurricane season here so we don’t hit the WestPac stuff very often. There aren’t enough crews or planes to have planes stationed out there for a long time. We have flown s through stuff in the Southern Hemisphere out of Australia but we usually don’t go all the way out there for research.

We all use turboprops for two reasons: we basically are flying through a wall of water, and the water ingestion will kill a jet engine.

The other is immediate power changes that a prop gives you. A jet engine takes longer to spool up or down to give you a power correction, which is where the term “behind the power curve” comes from. A prop is immediate and is accomplished through changing the blade angle. We use this and altitude to adjust our speed to avoid stalling out or overspeeding in the storm. Both would be bad.

We had a short mission delay so I’m chilling on the plane for a bit. Using the down time to figure out where to stash my family if the storm rolls over Tampa.

This is awesome, you are awesome, and stay safe Wonder Free fam.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1166783987999633410?s=20

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
glad to see SA forums user ropekid get the big RTs

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

yeah like the department secretary himself

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1167094162992140288?s=09

Man things have been great for me. I should look at getting one of them bankruptcies!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wasabi the J posted:

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1167094162992140288?s=09

Man things have been great for me. I should look at getting one of them bankruptcies!

How very presidential of you.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

crack ping because this twitter thread made me have to stop and think for a minute, then stop and think again about how stupid it was

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If there's one thing Trump is right about (but for the wrong reason), it's that the free press is completely and utterly failing at its job to keep the American people informed.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

this is the Washington Post's coverage of Sanders for 4 years in a nutshell

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Liberal media! Fake news!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
The really fun thing is that the fact check, aside from drawing an insane conclusion, was also itself wrong:

https://twitter.com/GunnelsWarren/status/1167105760750383110?s=20

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 29, 2019

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

So whats their point? I skimmed it but it looked like bernie made a reasonable geusstimate based on what people report caused the bankruptcy or were factors?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Stravag posted:

So whats their point? I skimmed it but it looked like bernie made a reasonable geusstimate based on what people report caused the bankruptcy or were factors?

Bernie said 500k

The real number is closer to 700k, so AKSHUALLY he lied and is unreliable

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Stravag posted:

Glenn Kessler has gone loving insane and has dedicated himself to tearing down even truthful statements because he cannot, as it turns out, handle the truth.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Their point is to fact check all statements to a literal degree and if you're not 100% accurate they call you a liar and rate you the same as Trump, which damages your positions among those that care.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Glenn Kessler has gone loving insane and has dedicated himself to tearing down even truthful statements because he cannot, as it turns out, handle the truth.

He mainly does this to Bernie. Just like all the other Washington Post articles that are strongly critical of Bernie while contradicting themselves.

It isn't a conspiracy though, that was fact checked as false.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

HEY THANKS YOU ANTIVAXXER FUCKHEADS

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
It's a good thing everyone cares so much about fact checks these days. Reminds me when politifact (?) Chose "if you like your doctor you can keep your doctor" as the 'lie of the year' in a blatant attempt to court Republicans.

We're in a post fact world now baby

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Eej posted:

Bernie said 500k

The real number is closer to 700k, so AKSHUALLY he lied and is unreliable

Ok thats what i thought was going on. Was hoping i was wrong and just am disappointed i wasnt

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

facialimpediment posted:

Failing that, the OIG yelled about Comey setting a "bad example" and "declining prosecution" on said memos.

This was a waste of time and money, and two wrongs don't make a right. But ain't karma a bitch?

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
Thanks for the words of encouragement. It was a strong CAT 1 with a concentric (double) eye wall. You can see the two circles on the radar.

The inside one was like 5 miles in diameter so it looked like crap and we couldn’t maneuver in there. The outer one was okay though.

Eventually the inner one will go away as it strengthens. I guess it might be a CAT 4 before it hits land now?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Welp. Hope it stays the gently caress away from me. Awesome pictures tho

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Holy gently caress those pics rule

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
you could totally drop a nuke in the eyes

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
SO COOL. Also that window seems huge compared to the letterbox you get on a jetliner.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Windows are heavy heavy means worse gas mileage. just give it time I'm sure before too long only first-class will get Windows.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
It’s because it’s based on a passenger airliner from the 50’s. Also the P-3 was originally for ASW, hence the big windows for looking for subs. The P-3 started testing in the late 50’s and most Navy ones were built in the 60’s and 70’s. Ours were custom built in the late 70’s.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

They couldn't custom build a P8 for y'all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I can't get over how cool of a job that must be. What's it like being a NOAA officer? I imagine it has to be better than the rest of the military.