Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

marktheando posted:

Yes nobody who knows anything thought there was ever any chance of the queen intervening.

The only scenarios in which I can see her intervening are if there's a motion of no confidence and Johnson refuses to resign, or if Parliament passes a bill and Johnson advises her to withhold royal assent. Both of those things are listed in that Buzzfeed article from yesterday, but I still think those two in particular are less likely than Parliament just not getting its poo poo together in time to prevent a no-deal Brexit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

baka kaba posted:

I guess it's like the electoral college right - you have a small number of representatives who actually have a vote, and technically they don't all have to vote the way their state's electorate told them to... but they still do because there'd be big trouble and a constitutional crisis if they actually exercised their power

It's a decent comparison, though electors have been "unfaithful" not all that uncommonly. Just never so much that it mattered I think.
And if they did? Oh I wish they would, because maybe we'd finally dumpster the loving EC which manages to hurt us and be anti-democratic all the same.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Can you guys think of anything which would make the queen refuse the request of the PM?

E: Oh heh

tagesschau posted:

The only scenarios in which I can see her intervening are if there's a motion of no confidence and Johnson refuses to resign, or if Parliament passes a bill and Johnson advises her to withhold royal assent. Both of those things are listed in that Buzzfeed article from yesterday, but I still think those two in particular are less likely than Parliament just not getting its poo poo together in time to prevent a no-deal Brexit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

How can the parliament be suspended and why does it need the Queen's approval? What kind of democratic system is that?

Because that literally happens every year and you're like the fourth person asking this question. The queen is the the legal fiction from which the government derives its right to govern. Every country has one, ours is just generally self propelled and heils hitler more than most.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 29, 2019

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

WhatEvil posted:

Can you guys think of anything which would make the queen refuse the request of the PM?

Also Corbs telling her to GTFO.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Grape posted:

And if they did? Oh I wish they would, because maybe we'd finally dumpster the loving EC which manages to hurt us and be anti-democratic all the same.

It's called the EU these days, Mr Farage :shobon:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Does the queen actually give any amount of fucks on a personal level? Obviously a rhetorical question because nobody knows, but it's very possible she'd just go "whatevs m8" and rubber stamp the thing and go back to whatever hobbies she has

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Apropos of nothing much except me having an 8 hour bus journey today and listening to a lot of podcasts, the latest Reel Politik episode is an extended interview with Mark Seddon and if anyone is in the mood for a bunch of amusingly told Labour insider war stories from the late 90s/early 00s I can recommend it.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

baka kaba posted:

Does the queen actually give any amount of fucks on a personal level? Obviously a rhetorical question because nobody knows, but it's very possible she'd just go "whatevs m8" and rubber stamp the thing and go back to whatever hobbies she has

I think she probably does. From every account you ever read about her, she does take the whole being-Queen business quite seriously, in terms of being briefed and doing her best. I wouldn't be surprised at all if she's got at least some strong views on it. Which way they lean though, gently caress knows.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

punk rebel ecks posted:

How can the parliament be suspended and why does it need the Queen's approval? What kind of democratic system is that?

The Queen's approval is essentially a rubber stamp and no more. Asking Liz for permission is a constitutional formality, her saying no would have been a far greater break from norms than her saying yes.

Bastani is entirely right that this is the country functioning as intended, because this country is inherently dysfunctional and like the States a lot of it is held together by norms and people respecting the norms and Brexit has thrown those out the window so the system is kind of hosed.

Which is probably why a system held together by shared norms and values is so utterly poorly equipped to deal with Boris and Farage. A lot of this damage was done in the Blair years because he changed the norms around the PM and tried to be all Presidential within a parliamentary system. Bercow as speaker has tried to reverse this but inertia often wins out.

And all that is why we need a new constitution, one that places worker democracy at the forefront in the manner of the Kronstadt Declaration

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I imagine the Queen most probably has quite strong personal opinions about everything that's going on, but there's no way she's going to let on what they are.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
She probably holds a grudge against some former german aristoprat and is full on brexit becauae of it. Her brain probably rotted away 20 years ago.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bardeh posted:

I imagine the Queen most probably has quite strong personal opinions about everything that's going on, but there's no way she's going to let on what they are.

Apparently, she offers PMs and ministers a lot of advice and training in their new jobs. It's not a formal role, it's just a result of her being at the heart of British politics for decades and being very experienced in how it all works. Presumably, her opinions bleed through a bit when she does that.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Saith posted:

She probably holds a grudge against some former german aristoprat and is full on brexit becauae of it. Her brain probably rotted away 20 years ago.

Pretty sure she's just a meat puppet controlled by corgis and dorgis now.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Darth Walrus posted:

Apparently, she offers PMs and ministers a lot of advice and training in their new jobs. It's not a formal role, it's just a result of her being at the heart of British politics for decades and being very experienced in how it all works. Presumably, her opinions bleed through a bit when she does that.

Can I get an honest show of hands on how often y'all read "PM" and accidentally read it as "private message", because I had a brief mental image of the Queen of England sliding into Boris Johnson's DMs on Twitter and it was something.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

This is basically just a break between sessions, something most bodies of government have. The whole queen’s speech thing is just window dressing. The only unusual thing here is that Boris is (purposely) timing it at the worst possible moment.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
https://twitter.com/Queen_UK/status/1166642126161174530

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Bardeh posted:

She is supposedly happy enough to tell PMs what she thinks when they visit her (and this is entirely within convention), but accepts that she's absolutely not supposed to give any hint of what they are beyond the walls of that room. As G-man says she's also reported to take her role very very seriously, she spends hours every day reading the briefings she gets and so on. There's probably nobody else alive with a better understanding of how the government functions (lol) and the state of the country.

The problems arise when people start trying to divine her Real Actual Opinions because "Ooooh she wore a brooch with a sapphire in it, and sapphire was the gemstone Lord Peepus of Barmbrack killed Montague de Montfort y Pfeffeffeffel el Balensiyya over, clearly showing her dislike of Whomstsoever she was meeting that day".

I mean there are also the problems stemming from a fantastically wealthy family enjoying the privilege and status coming from the position of a hereditary nobility but that's by the by.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Ms Adequate posted:

She is supposedly happy enough to tell PMs what she thinks when they visit her (and this is entirely within convention), but accepts that she's absolutely not supposed to give any hint of what they are beyond the walls of that room. As G-man says she's also reported to take her role very very seriously, she spends hours every day reading the briefings she gets and so on. There's probably nobody else alive with a better understanding of how the government functions (lol) and the state of the country.

If you're gonna go through the ludicrous process of keeping a royal family and a constitutional monarch around, you could do a hell of a lot worse than Brenda.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mm, the queen afaik isn't bad at her job, it's just the nature of her job at all that I object to.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011
I mean, if you want a self-enforcing constitution, an old lady with a sword has a very slightly larger chance of getting you that than, say, a book.

It’s just like 0.5% rather than a flat zero.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Could you kill her, and be the new ruler?
Why hasn't Boris just shank her and take over.
Surprised he hasn't tried already.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Elizabeth just going ape with the Sword of State and beheading MPs like some kind of elderly John Wick would be amazing.

happyhippy posted:

Could you kill her, and be the new ruler?

Hereditary monarchies do not, unfortunately, play by Highlander rules.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It's just the Queen writing "CAR CRASH" in her Death Note.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Darth Walrus posted:

Hey, you remember how we were all pointing and laughing at UnHerd? Turns out they have actually provided a useful piece of info about the political situation of the UK (even if they themselves don't quite understand it) - Dominic Cummings is a LessWronger.

Jesus Christ we're all doomed.

So in the situation where Johnson has thrown the steering wheel out the window, who is he trying to force to swerve? The EU, or the domestic opposition?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

forkboy84 posted:

The Queen's approval is essentially a rubber stamp and no more. Asking Liz for permission is a constitutional formality, her saying no would have been a far greater break from norms than her saying yes.

Bastani is entirely right that this is the country functioning as intended, because this country is inherently dysfunctional and like the States a lot of it is held together by norms and people respecting the norms and Brexit has thrown those out the window so the system is kind of hosed.

Which is probably why a system held together by shared norms and values is so utterly poorly equipped to deal with Boris and Farage. A lot of this damage was done in the Blair years because he changed the norms around the PM and tried to be all Presidential within a parliamentary system. Bercow as speaker has tried to reverse this but inertia often wins out.

And all that is why we need a new constitution, one that places worker democracy at the forefront in the manner of the Kronstadt Declaration

Having some of the earliest modern democracies.

Pros: Bragging rights, experience.

Cons: Everything else.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Mm, the queen afaik isn't bad at her job, it's just the nature of her job at all that I object to.

Yeah pretty much. She's good at the job, apart from the way she always looks completely miserable.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

So in the situation where Johnson has thrown the steering wheel out the window, who is he trying to force to swerve? The EU, or the domestic opposition?

Again, Dominic Cummings is a LessWronger. If you think he understands how to properly apply game theory (or whatever bastardised reinvention of it they use) then you do not understand what that means.

One of the most powerful people in the country thinks Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality is high literature. A feeling of intense and crushing religious terror at this concept indicates only that you are still sane.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Why does Boris, the largest Tory, not simply eat the others?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Pochoclo posted:

Because you forgot about Eric Pickles, devourer of worlds.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is that Daniel Kawczynski's music?

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/29/senior-tory-rebels-ready-to-back-move-against-no-deal-brexit

“A growing number of senior Tory rebels have signalled they are now prepared to back urgent legislation to thwart a no-deal Brexit after Boris Johnson’s decision to suspend parliament.”

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me, like, eight or nine times, I might start thinking you’re not really a rebel at all!

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

PittTheElder posted:

In this case, probably the EU? Johnson & co would be banking on forcing the EU to concede a better deal (whatever that might be). I mean, what could they be trying to force the domestic opposition to do, try and provoke a confidence vote, or maybe revoke article 50? Former's going to happen anyway, probably, and the latter wouldn't pass.

Darth Walrus posted:

Again, Dominic Cummings is a LessWronger. If you think he understands how to properly apply game theory (or whatever bastardised reinvention of it they use) then you do not understand what that means.

One of the most powerful people in the country thinks Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality is high literature. A feeling of intense and crushing religious terror at this concept indicates only that you are still sane.

god we're fuuuucked. beaten by a man who reads blog posts like The Shart Risk: A Probabilistic Analysis of Follow-Through

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

marktheando posted:

Yeah pretty much. She's good at the job, apart from the way she always looks completely miserable.

I feel like looking completely miserable is a pretty important part of being a head of state, I mean, what's there to be cheerful about?

Juche Couture posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/29/senior-tory-rebels-ready-to-back-move-against-no-deal-brexit

“A growing number of senior Tory rebels have signalled they are now prepared to back urgent legislation to thwart a no-deal Brexit after Boris Johnson’s decision to suspend parliament.”

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me, like, eight or nine times, I might start thinking you’re not really a rebel at all!

I am inclined to characterise boris's moves at the moment as being attributable to desperation and/or stupidity rather than cleverness. The tories might well still back him but I'm not sure he's doing some deep political calculus and it's entirely possible he'll alienate enough people to hoist himself.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 29, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Junior G-man posted:

If you're gonna go through the ludicrous process of keeping a royal family and a constitutional monarch around, you could do a hell of a lot worse than Brenda.

Agreed entirely, the existence of the position and role I object to, but if we're going to have one, she's basically the platonic ideal of a figurehead monarch.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Consider, you could have the queen looking like she's just smelled a particulalry eggy fart. Or you could have tony blair and his flehmen response.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Wow, scratch a Marxist, find a Monarchist

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I am inclined to characterise boris's moves at the moment as being attributable to desperation and/or stupidity rather than cleverness. The tories might well still back him but I'm not sure he's doing some deep political calculus and it's entirely possible he'll alienate enough people to hoist himself.

I'm easily persuaded that BoJo and Cummings have hyped each other up past the point of no return in a fit of "look at us be clever clogs, harf harf". I'm less easily sold the idea that any Tory will have the spine to go through with their sham 'we must defend ourselves from hard Brexit act'.

How many times have we seen this charade, only for them to pull out at the last minute? I really lost count at Soubry alone.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pochoclo posted:

Because there's only one winner in that contest:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Junior G-man posted:

I think she probably does. From every account you ever read about her, she does take the whole being-Queen business quite seriously, in terms of being briefed and doing her best. I wouldn't be surprised at all if she's got at least some strong views on it. Which way they lean though, gently caress knows.

I don't really mean caring in terms of personal interest, more that if there's some "constitutional crisis" and Bojo refuses to resign or whatever, does she care enough to finally step up and interfere?

I dunno, there's people saying that kind of thing and it just sounds like the same hope that "the queen will save us!" only now it's in situation B where she would have more grounds to do it