Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

This seems less like an unpopular opinion and more just you bitching about other people playing overwatch, tbh

overwatch was a bad waste of sixty clams for me. even back in november of 2016 you couldn't be a new player without people screaming at you about basically not having played the game every day since launch.

blizzard: "i know you haven't played the game for more than two hours and i know steam offers refunds if the game isn't working out for you but we aren't steam tough toasties"

i don't know if the community has chilled out but considering that long tail player populations tend to be more highly skilled and hardcore, if anything it's probably gotten even more aggro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I remember my friends all jumping on competitive mode when it released and became absolute dicks instantly. This fun goofy game was suddenly super serious and and someone actually genuinely got angry and yelled at me for being silly in it. gently caress overwatch

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
TF2 is a much better game than Overwatch and Valve just not bothering to put it on current gen consoles is the most Valve poo poo ever

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

abigserve posted:

the time it takes to kill someone in overwatch should be a crime against humanity. watch people run away, the game

if i shoot someone in the head with a shotgun they should just die. i guess i'm old fashioned like that

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The White Dragon posted:

overwatch was a bad waste of sixty clams for me. even back in november of 2016 you couldn't be a new player without people screaming at you about basically not having played the game every day since launch.

blizzard: "i know you haven't played the game for more than two hours and i know steam offers refunds if the game isn't working out for you but we aren't steam tough toasties"

i don't know if the community has chilled out but considering that long tail player populations tend to be more highly skilled and hardcore, if anything it's probably gotten even more aggro

i got it on release day because all my friends were super hype for it and oh my god it was just the worst shooter i'd played in ages when i first loaded it up, nothing has any heft to it so it's like playing a weird game of lasertag

i think i played once since the first new character (ana?) came out for a halloween thing

unpopular opinion that i've mentioned before: idk why but i find paladins infinitely more fun than overwatch

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the Quake 1 mod Future vs Fantasy is much better than overwatch

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The White Dragon posted:

Fun fact: Top 500 players (you can see the list ingame) used to be silenced/suspended regularly just for playing good in the first year or two.
By salty players reporting them.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

Overwatch is a pretty popular game

(but is also bad and unfun)

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah I'm not disagreeing with you guys just saying that post was less an "Overwatch is bad" and more "gently caress the people I play with are so bad!"

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

My problem with Overwatch, and MOBAs, is they just keep on releasing more loving characters. TF2 had 9 characters with specific roles. Overwatch has something like 30 characters now and a few just feel like rehashes of other characters. You don't need 5 variations on "big guy in armor that deploys a shield."

It also doesn't help they make every new character OP at first so people buy them. You'll have ample time to figure out they are OP because for a few weeks after they are released EVERY game has that character on both teams.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Rocket launcher was too weak in Doom 2016 and Mancubus were a bit too tanky.

Also didn't like the low cap on ammo for the minigun etc.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

limp_cheese posted:

My problem with Overwatch, and MOBAs, is they just keep on releasing more loving characters. TF2 had 9 characters with specific roles. Overwatch has something like 30 characters now and a few just feel like rehashes of other characters. You don't need 5 variations on "big guy in armor that deploys a shield."

It also doesn't help they make every new character OP at first so people buy them. You'll have ample time to figure out they are OP because for a few weeks after they are released EVERY game has that character on both teams.

Sounds like a doll-collecting game with an initial membership fee. lol blizzard

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Rutibex posted:

Quake had some insane mods for the time. FvF was my favorite too, but there was also crazy poo poo like one that let you fly a jet in the game, or that huge X-Men mod.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

doctorfrog posted:

Sounds like a doll-collecting game with an initial membership fee. lol blizzard

No, that's World of Warcraft. The guy on here who gave away his dogs because they were cutting into his WoW time/got booted from the goon guild for trying to raid while his wife was giving birth? He was like top-5 in the world for collecting mounts. He didn't spend that time having fun or getting better at the game. He spent it collecting virtual horsies.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

abigserve posted:

the time it takes to kill someone in overwatch should be a crime against humanity. watch people run away, the game

Time to kill is okay (well it was when I played) if you don't add in the many many barriers/escapes people have. Like when you can't do actual damage to people 80% of the time it sucks. Oh sorry Reinhardt/D.va /Zarya etc. shield. Ohh Genji reflect/Reaper ghosty form.

Overwatch is designed to minimize feeling bad. Less deaths, less individual blame. It isn't you who lost the game for your team, it was your team. However it was you who did that sweet ult and won the game for your team. Suck at aiming? It's okay you can still hit Reinhardt shield play a healer/Symmetra (not Torbjorn gently caress you Torbjorn has a good gun). Overwatch is aggressively ok.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

thread is seriously making me wanna update paladins and play a bit

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Duck and Cover posted:

Time to kill is okay (well it was when I played) if you don't add in the many many barriers/escapes people have. Like when you can't do actual damage to people 80% of the time it sucks. Oh sorry Reinhardt/D.va /Zarya etc. shield. Ohh Genji reflect/Reaper ghosty form.

Overwatch is designed to minimize feeling bad. Less deaths, less individual blame. It isn't you who lost the game for your team, it was your team. However it was you who did that sweet ult and won the game for your team. Suck at aiming? It's okay you can still hit Reinhardt shield play a healer/Symmetra (not Torbjorn gently caress you Torbjorn has a good gun). Overwatch is aggressively ok.

Thing is I don't think it matters, you die all the time in TF2 especially when learning but your deaths are generally hilarious ragdolls, ludicrous gibs with the game helpfully pointing out which bits of you went where or Looney Tunes esque death animations and screams, either way entertaining. They specifically picked the aesthetic because it worked perfectly with the inherent absurdity of the team FPS formula.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

happyhippy posted:

Fun fact: Top 500 players (you can see the list ingame) used to be silenced/suspended regularly just for playing good in the first year or two.
By salty players reporting them.
iirc one of the best snipers in the game complained to Blizzard about long wait times and when they looked into it they found most players had clicked 'avoid this player' on his profile because he was so good at sniping that other top players didn't want to face him.

Duck and Cover posted:

I've been on and off watching Overwatch league (I know...) the last few weeks and the game is apparently 80% barriers now. Killing someone requires a bit of luck with hoping they walk into a hook or extend a little too far while the rest of the team shoots at barriers for most of the match.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thing is I don't think it matters, you die all the time in TF2 especially when learning but your deaths are generally hilarious ragdolls, ludicrous gibs with the game helpfully pointing out which bits of you went where or Looney Tunes esque death animations and screams, either way entertaining. They specifically picked the aesthetic because it worked perfectly with the inherent absurdity of the team FPS formula.

It's about making games for people who previously might not have played games. Healers exist in these games not because they make for a better game but because they allow someone to contribute without having much skill.

Away all Goats posted:

iirc one of the best snipers in the game complained to Blizzard about long wait times and when they looked into it they found most players had clicked 'avoid this player' on his profile because he was so good at sniping that other top players didn't want to face him.

I've been on and off watching Overwatch league (I know...) the last few weeks and the game is apparently 80% barriers now. Killing someone requires a bit of luck with hoping they walk into a hook or extend a little too far while the rest of the team shoots at barriers for most of the match.

I felt at launch it was almost too many barriers/heals/escapes. They then continued to add barriers/heals/escapes. It sucks since Overwatch pretty hogged all the players so other better games failed to really become a thing.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 29, 2019

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Rutibex posted:

Here's a game I can get behind

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The guy on here who gave away his dogs because they were cutting into his WoW time/got booted from the goon guild for trying to raid while his wife was giving birth

It's sad when the best you can do for a guy who needs an intervention is to just cut him off and let him know his behavior is not OK.

quote:

the game is apparently 80% barriers now. Killing someone requires a bit of luck with hoping they walk into a hook or extend a little too far while the rest of the team shoots at barriers for most of the match.

So, professional dota with anime.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Whenever I played overwatch I just couldn't give a gently caress about who won or who lost

I still think UT2k4 onslaught was a really cool mode, simple but well executed

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

There was something about Overwatch that was bugging me and I didn't know what it was until a friend mentioned how no one is Overwatch is really that powerful. In TF2 you can kill half the team without an uber if you're good and lucky. In Overwatch you're lucky to kill 2 people with an ult. It really slows down the game and makes all the charcters feel like they are weak as hell.

I also miss games that had larger player counts. gently caress 6v6. Give me 12v12 at a minimum. TF2 16v16 is so chaotic and fun.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

"Ultimate attacks" in an FPS is a loving idiotic idea.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That's just a goofy-powerful gun, but ok I'll clarify:

"Ultimate attacks" in a multiplayer FPS is a loving idiotic idea

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

That's just a goofy-powerful gun, but ok I'll clarify:

"Ultimate attacks" in a multiplayer FPS is a loving idiotic idea

But but but I earned that redeemer!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

But but but I earned that mapwide airstrike!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Duck and Cover posted:

But but but I earned that redeemer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GflAdGmMjtQ

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Snow Cone Capone posted:

i guess theres some strategy behind waiting to activate the "gently caress you" button but ill admit i hate them.

limp_cheese posted:

I also miss games that had larger player counts. gently caress 6v6. Give me 12v12 at a minimum. TF2 16v16 is so chaotic and fun.

hell yeah

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

limp_cheese posted:

I played Planetside 2 for an embarrassingly long amount of time because of this. It's just so fun managing to sneak up on like 30-40+ people huddled around an APC and blowing them all up.

Overwatch could definitely benefit from game modes with larger team sizes, mostly because you don't have to rely on 1/3rd of the team to be healers.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'd like to hire 39 other people just to play infantry online with me :(

Man I miss that game, best multiplayer experience I've had even if the community was a garbage dump.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
FPS opinion: KISS_OFF.mid is the high point of Rise of the Triad, and indeed of human culture

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I'd like to hire 39 other people just to play infantry online with me :(

The feels. That one and Silent Death Online are my old dead favorites. RIP little online games.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I recall playing Infantry Online during 9/11, that was a fun chat. Lots of people who may signed up for Infantry Offline.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
All team based competitive multiplayer games are bad and not fun. Except for Splatoon. Splatoon owns.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Away all Goats posted:

Matchmaking services are trash. Good games that aren't for cowards make people run their own servers and hit the ban button themselves.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

internet celebrity posted:

All team based competitive multiplayer games are bad and not fun. Except for Splatoon. Splatoon owns.

Left 4 Dead is p fun

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

I played Planetside 2 for an embarrassingly long amount of time because of this. It's just so fun managing to sneak up on like 30-40+ people huddled around an APC and blowing them all up.

Overwatch could definitely benefit from game modes with larger team sizes, mostly because you don't have to rely on 1/3rd of the team to be healers.

Command and Conquer Renegade was one of my favorite games. Getting 6 people together and rushing a base with flame tanks or an APC was incredibly rewarding when it worked. Its too bad most maps had horrible choke points that devolved into half the team in tanks just firing at the base entrance so one team couldn't get out. It was possible to break it but it was near impossible.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Duck and Cover posted:

yeah this is it, most characters have some form of escape or shield. Even the classic archetype of "risky sniper class", widowmaker, can hookline all over the loving place. Then you have some ultimates that offer further damage reducton, healers, healer ults, and it's just horrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Id take Overwatch has too many characters over TF2's each class has too many weapons from a pure game design standpoint.

I hate variable equipment in any game I play, but in online competitive games its the loving worst.