Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Zore posted:

Hilda becomes available to poach but otherwise you have the same units as on BE-E

Wait, is it possible to recruit students post-timeskip? I've just been murdering them, which admittedly does have its charms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

RoyalScion posted:

I think one of the weirder things about the 2nd half Gronder battle is I don’t recall Claude saying anything if you murder all his fellow students as BL, but you’re GD when you start killing the BL students Dimitri speaks out for every one you kill, maybe because they were his childhood friends.

I remember he does in BL? Or at least he responds to their death quotes, like telling Raphael he'll take care of his little sister.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Mega64 posted:

If they replaced Corrin with Byleth then Fates would actually be good.

For as much as a fashion disaster Byleth is, at least their outfit, in both versions, has a lot of dorky charm. Corrin just looks weird and out of place compared to everyone else. And was a major downgrade coming off Robin who's outfit is excellent.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

lunar detritus posted:

I remember he does in BL? Or at least he responds to their death quotes, like telling Raphael he'll take care of his little sister.

I could be misremembering then, BL route was so long ago :eng99:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Skippy McPants posted:

Edelgard, Dimitri, and Rhea all have bits on their various routes where they explicitly say they'd have gone off the deep end without Byleth.

And Claude is more like "I guess I'd smoke a lot more weed and not get as much done if you weren't around, Teach."

The Big Leclaudeski

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

RoyalScion posted:

I could be misremembering then, BL route was so long ago :eng99:

I just did BL gronder recently, Claude absolutely pipes up on every death/retreat.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I only remember Dimitri ellipsing when Sylvain bit it

in hindsight Sylvain probably literally just joined the chorus of dead loved ones haunting him at that point :smith:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I just did Grondor with GD and he also managed a "Hmph..." when I stabbed Mercedes in the neck.

I let Dedue live though since I was so impressed with how he tanked three empire units and a monster at once. I even helped take some units out before I shanked Edelgard, I was so proud of him.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The most I got out of Dimitri was an "Ingrid..." after they were mercilessly iced.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Just picked this up, and I am picking Deer because I would rather side with a oligarchal confedracy than imperialist monarchs

*spits in proles*

Any suggestions as I set out?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I wonder what's the relation between first house played vs people that immediately played another route.

For example, my first route was BEagles/Edelgard and I felt like I had to play another route because there were so many open questions (and I was loving the game). But apparently GD answers a lot of questions, and BL feels like a "complete" story even if it doesn't cover everything.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
MINOR SPOILERS FOR POST-TIMESKIP

https://youtu.be/j2msirwbvVQ

Joe Zeija is such a memelord. I love it :allears:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

lunar detritus posted:

I wonder what's the relation between first house played vs people that immediately played another route.

For example, my first route was BEagles/Edelgard and I felt like I had to play another route because there were so many open questions (and I was loving the game). But apparently GD answers a lot of questions, and BL feels like a "complete" story even if it doesn't cover everything.

Played Edelgard's route first, got the spoilers from this thread, proceeded to replay Edelgard because I have a problem. :v:

Eimi fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 29, 2019

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
To be fair on the lack of a lord on the church route, do you really need one with Hilda and Catherine? They were overkill on other routes.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

MINOR SPOILERS FOR POST-TIMESKIP

https://youtu.be/j2msirwbvVQ

Joe Zeija is such a memelord. I love it :allears:

Is it really a spoiler when it’s of the line that stole the show for E3 2019 though

Also I played Deer first but then decided on Lions second to see how the route explores Dimitri’s struggles with his mental illnesses; that leaves Eagles last for me. Probably gonna do Deer for lunatic when it comes out and I’m holding onto my butt

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
https://twitter.com/ScruffyTurtles/status/1166933560881766400

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

we don’t deserve scruffy deer

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Is it really a spoiler when it’s of the line that stole the show for E3 2019 though

Also I played Deer first but then decided on Lions second to see how the route explores Dimitri’s struggles with his mental illnesses; that leaves Eagles last for me. Probably gonna do Deer for lunatic when it comes out and I’m holding onto my butt

I was just being safe just in case there are people who haven’t seen it yet

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Andrast posted:

Ferdinand is so good he can support with himself

Meant to say Bernadette dammit whatever he could probably pull it off

Princeps32 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 29, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lunar detritus posted:

I played Golden Deer first and immediately played Blue Lions next, though mostly because I just wanted to keep playing Fire Emblem. Also the two routes contrast really well in what they focus on and in their themes so it was nice and didn't bore me.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Do you think it is worth doing a route with minimum/no recruitment? My next run is BE most likely and I’m wondering if I should just stick with the class or something.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It made the post time skip super boring, imo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sydin posted:

The most I got out of Dimitri was an "Ingrid..." after they were mercilessly iced.

Interesting. Ingrid was the only Lions character I had to kill when I did that map on my GD run, so I didn't realize he only scoffed at everyone else's death. Ingrid must've really meant a lot to him to break through even then.

jimmydalad posted:

Do you think it is worth doing a route with minimum/no recruitment? My next run is BE most likely and I’m wondering if I should just stick with the class or something.

Tae posted:

It made the post time skip super boring, imo.

I think there are good arguments either way.

On the one hand, a lot of post-time skip maps are less memorable when there aren't former students among the enemies and they just have generics in their place. On the other hand, having only a third of the people to talk to in the monastery every month does make exploring a lot more boring.

Honestly I feel like after you play through at least one of the GD or BL post-timeskip parts with normal and/or minimal student recruitment, there's probably more story to be had by recruiting everyone you can, just to see their reactions to everything in the monastery. That is, unless you recruited a ton on your previous runs, in which case a minimal/no recruitment run could be a change of pace.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
HOw about this:

immediately kill off everyone in your own house, then recruit everyone from the other houses.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Harrow posted:

I played Golden Deer first and immediately played Blue Lions next, though mostly because I just wanted to keep playing Fire Emblem. Also the two routes contrast really well in what they focus on and in their themes so it was nice and didn't bore me.

Blue Lions in general just serves as a nice contrast to all the other routes, it feels

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For my part, I'm wondering if an iron man run would be any fun in Three Houses. This is not one of the Fire Emblem games that's really conducive to that style of play, I don't think, but I'm curious about how it'd play out. No resets, no divine pulse.

I suspect that losing more than a couple good units would make the rest of the game a slog, though, so it might not end up being a fun way to play Three Houses specifically. I guess you could use weekend battles as often as possible to make sure you grind up your reserves so you always have extras?

Though if I did an iron man run, I'd want to limit recruitment, too.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I'd say for a low or no recruit run do Blue Lions as they have a huge character pool with the church/other figures to not need students.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

To be fair on the lack of a lord on the church route, do you really need one with Hilda and Catherine? They were overkill on other routes.

It's not so much a mechanical need as a narrative one, at least in most discussions I've seen. Nobody anchors that route, which puts more weight on Byleth as a character. Weight Byleth isn't the best at carrying.

The other three routes are about their lords. The church route is supposed to be about Rhea, but she's not even in the monastery for the back half.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

It's not so much a mechanical need as a narrative one, at least in most discussions I've seen. Nobody anchors that route, which puts more weight on Byleth as a character. Weight Byleth isn't the best at carrying.

Byleth absolutely works best with another main character to play off of, which is probably why I like the Blue Lions route so much. The story places a ton of weight on the relationship between Byleth and Dimitri in that route and it works surprisingly well, or at least it did for me.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Harrow posted:

Byleth absolutely works best with another main character to play off of, which is probably why I like the Blue Lions route so much. The story places a ton of weight on the relationship between Byleth and Dimitri in that route and it works surprisingly well, or at least it did for me.

Shame you can't S Rank Dimitri with M-Byleth. They really come together nicely.
The part where you finally break through Dimitri's funk and he accepts your hand in the rain and goes "Has your hand always been this warm?" was really sweet.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
My esteem of Seteth rose during the Church route because I felt he worked OK being Byleth's Dedue/Hubert equivalent.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Yeah, the church route felt weak with no leading lord; there’s just not enough agency when Seteth is driving things.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

rannum posted:

Shame you can't S Rank Dimitri with M-Byleth. They really come together nicely.
The part where you finally break through Dimitri's funk and he accepts your hand in the rain and goes "Has your hand always been this warm?" was really sweet.

Yeah that's entirely bullshit. Like Claude is obviously bi as hell, but like Dimitri's route is just as emotional as El's route and it's why her route is amazing if you're a gay woman, Dimitri should have been that for gay dudes.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Dimitri even gets one of the most romantic gay endings in the game with Dedue so I dunno what gives with no same sex S support

Harrow posted:

For my part, I'm wondering if an iron man run would be any fun in Three Houses. This is not one of the Fire Emblem games that's really conducive to that style of play, I don't think, but I'm curious about how it'd play out. No resets, no divine pulse.

I suspect that losing more than a couple good units would make the rest of the game a slog, though, so it might not end up being a fun way to play Three Houses specifically. I guess you could use weekend battles as often as possible to make sure you grind up your reserves so you always have extras?

Though if I did an iron man run, I'd want to limit recruitment, too.

I know Kaiji Tang is doing an iron man run on hard, or rather did before having to give up on BE and BL and very soon, probably, GD as well

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 29, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
You miss so much by not recruiting everyone though.
Since ending slides are different depending on which faction you're winning with.

And yea it definitely makes the post timeskip stuff really draggy if you've only got a few people.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Airspace posted:

My esteem of Seteth rose during the Church route because I felt he worked OK being Byleth's Dedue/Hubert equivalent.

Seteth surprised me by how likeable he is, I expected him to be a zealot or stuck up but he's a pretty stand up dude overall.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

Seteth surprised me by how likeable he is, I expected him to be a zealot or stuck up but he's a pretty stand up dude overall.

Yeah. I really like how in most of his supports he ends up playing school counselor and/or therapist.

EDIT: Because Goddess knows how much the kids need one.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 30, 2019

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Seteth getting trapped in the McDonalds Playplace is a top 3 Fire Emblem moment.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Dimitri even gets one of the most romantic gay endings in the game with Dedue so I dunno what gives with no same sex S support

There are kind of a lot of weird omissions. Catherine and Shamir can marry each other or male Byleth but not female Byleth, for instance. Wish I could have been a fly on the wall during the prioritization of all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I will gladly pay dollars for more gay support options. Or just more support options generally!