Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Archyduchess posted:

I'm curious what about this screams "slutty" to you?

Listen, if she's got any skin showing at all, she's gonna burn in hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Ankles! Knees!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Look you gotta see the way Norman wears it is all.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Rhyno posted:

I'm really pleased they've walked back the I AM GROOT poo poo being all he could say.

I liked the idea that it was just a really thick accent, in which everything - to our weak human ears - sounded like 'I AM GROOT'.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Archyduchess posted:

Do you not see the possible implication of cleavage being able to be shown? Disgusting how all the slatterns in my office dress like this...burlesque dancer!...whilst we men gird ourselves in proper suits and ties.

A scandal, a scandal I tell you! This is the very circle of hell down to which the 19th Amendment dragged us!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rhyno posted:

I'm really pleased they've walked back the I AM GROOT poo poo being all he could say.

yea it works when he's the least used character on a movie team but when it's a comic where he's a major figure you kinda need him to at least have a weird but functional talking method.

Parahexavoctal posted:

I liked the idea that it was just a really thick accent, in which everything - to our weak human ears - sounded like 'I AM GROOT'.

I do like this though

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

That's actually canon!

Guardians of the Galaxy #017 (2009)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
page is actually real funny, but really just reminds me how those guardians costumes sucked major rear end

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

That's actually canon!

Guardians of the Galaxy #017 (2009)

Except, of course, that Groot was pretty loquacious going back to his first pre-FF#1 appearance. He only got stuck in "I am Groot" after getting blown up during one of the Annihilation events.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah but Groot has actually been retconned out of being the King of his people and the same Groot that was in the early Marvel Monster comics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

site posted:

page is actually real funny, but really just reminds me how those guardians costumes sucked major rear end

I dunno, I liked em. I was real sad when they redesigned Starlord's look to be closer to the movies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Star Lords Bendis reboot suit was great but yeah, the movie synergy suit sucks.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jimmy Olsen #2 (trimmed a couple of pages to not post too much of the comic)

*cut some random Jimmy Olsen hijinks flashbacks*

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Gavok posted:

From Absolute Carnage #1.

Carnage is going after everyone who has ever worn a symbiote, feasting on them in a weird sci-fi way and becoming stronger with each victim. Eddie Brock finds Spider-Man and they assess the situation. During the conversation, Spider-Man asks about Dylan, a boy accompanying Eddie. Dylan thinks that he's Eddie's brother, but Eddie's hiding the truth that he's Dylan's father. Suddenly, Eddie's distracted by the news.

:smith:

Love the colouring on this,might get it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Damnit. Now I have to get another cat just so I can name him Pawquaman.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Art is fantastic as well :allears:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Infinitum posted:

Art is fantastic as well :allears:
gently caress, this got me misty-eyed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's loving magical. It has to be mis credited.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It took me a moment to realise those are all different babies+couples as well.

Just a real good :3: moment knowing Spidey has done that more than once :kimchi:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Meltzer excels at character moments. It’s plot that he has the problem with.

EDIT: I was distracted by the ladies face in the third panel on the bottom, so, I didn’t notice that the couple with the baby is actually two men.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 31, 2019

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Isn't Peters middle name Benjamin, anyway? So technically speaking he didn't lie to any of them :v:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I didn't know he was such good friends with The Thing, that's sweet.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

https://twitter.com/amandalim_art/status/1168395301624799232

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I just read the last issue of Spider-man Life Story and I got to say the last page was fantastic

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Archyduchess posted:

Have you tried image searching "woman in green business suit" lately? Ain't many choices to use, much less actually slutty ones.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Here's the hosed up origin story of Rocket Raccoon from GOTG #8:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Hanayome Wa Motodanshi (closest translation is "the bride used to be a guy" or "the bride was a boy", which is the title for the official translation) is an autobiographical manga written by a trans woman.

In this sequence she's recounting how she met her husband: they met by chance at a mutual friend's party, and he immediately fell for her and asked her out. She refused because she felt too self-conscious to date anyone so soon after socially transitioning, and in turn he asked her to just hang out, to go around doing stuff but not as a date, and she accepted. Then, after several Not A Dates, she realised she had fallen for him too, but also that officially being in a relationship with him would necessitate telling him she's trans.

And this is where these pages pick off. (Read right to left.)

Hanayome Wa Motodanshi is published in English by Seven Seas Entertainment.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I was initially kinda worried about it because of the title but that ended up being a very good autobio manga, would definitely recommend

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I learned a lot I didn't know about LGBTQ+ social and legal stuff in Japan from reading it. All the stuff about marriage law in particular was super eye-opening-- it's a really great little comic and a very quick read.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I've never been to Japan myself, but I've had more than one friend who has lived there, and their experience was that, for the most part, people were pretty blasé about queer identities. You don't really get that "grr, hate you, wanna beat you up" attitude you see in the west. The flip-side being that people are equally blasé about any discussion pertaining to queer representation and rights (i.e. marriage). A backhandedly polite "they're not oppressed" and/or "there's nothing to talk about" kind of dismissiveness.

I do believe things have improved over the years, as these were anecdotes from 5-6 years ago. And by the title being "The Bride..." I'm gonna guess that things are a lot more accommodating towards trans/queer identities getting married and the like now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Injustice 2 Annual - set before all the bad poo poo in Injustice went down. Batman gets his arm broken and Superman takes him to the Kent farm to recover in secret.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Superman Up In The Sky #4: So Superman's been on a mission to find a little girl that for some reason got kidnapped and taken to the rear end end of the universe. On the way he ran into some cosmic storm that separated Clark Kent and Superman into separate beings. "Superman" sets Clark up on an ice planet with a fire and enough food to last until he gets saved, then says he's going to leave this mission and fucks off. Turns out Superman's kind of an rear end in a top hat!

He then fucks off and leaves the planet, but keeps coming back.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Kryptonians of the old school are very often kind of assholes. We went through this with the Eradicator(Kryptonian tech eventually getting it's own body, also possessed Superman at one point) way back when. Superman said it very early on: The Earth made him who he is.

It's still worth repeating, as a message.

Logic isn't bad, except when it's heartless.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Superman is such a great and cool character.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SonicRulez posted:

Superman is such a great and cool character.

It helps that Tom King is an amazing writer.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
As much as I like Superman, I don't feel like this particular style of story fits him as a character. I've just never really felt like there was a distinct divide between the Clark Kent and Superman personas the way there is between, for example, Bruce Wayne and Batman, or Bruce Banner and the Hulk. So it just feels weird splitting him up into an ordinary person with no powers but who still has human morality, and a super-powered alien who eschews morality in favor of cold logic.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

W.T. Fits posted:

As much as I like Superman, I don't feel like this particular style of story fits him as a character. I've just never really felt like there was a distinct divide between the Clark Kent and Superman personas the way there is between, for example, Bruce Wayne and Batman, or Bruce Banner and the Hulk. So it just feels weird splitting him up into an ordinary person with no powers but who still has human morality, and a super-powered alien who eschews morality in favor of cold logic.

Same. Like, I get what they're doing. And for what it's worth, it works.

But, in my mind, it clashes with everything about Supes as a person. There's no cold logical duality to him. In his heart of hearts, he's just a farm boy from Kansas. There's no repressed Kryptonian inside just itching to bust out.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

W.T. Fits posted:

Some people watched Superman III uncritically or in their formative years without realising it was a comedy.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The really cool part is that even the cold logical heartless Kryptonian side of Clark is so good that it can't abandon the one girl who needs help imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

AnonSpore posted:

The really cool part is that even the cold logical heartless Kryptonian side of Clark is so good that it can't abandon the one girl who needs help imo

Yes. To me, The Kryptonian is Clark's viewpoint of the self he doesn't want to be. And, in the end, it turns out that even that cynical, jaded version of himself is too human to abandon him, or the girl. Clark is his own harshest critic, and even in the cruelest light possible, he's still a hero.