Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Everything but a game with these loving people.

"Legacy offerings" for a game that isn't designed yet. I can't believe how much of a piece of poo poo Chris Roberts is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Inside Star Citizen

Watching a 12 minute show so you don't have to!

This week's synopsis:
* You might not have heard about this but there's a MINELAYER NOW ONLY 800 DOLLARS NOW GO BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT
* Devs are placed in front of the camera to straight up lie about the state of the combat in the game and how this will add a "Defensive element" to it, instead of "Another broken element"
* The cheapest way to make a video every week is to take the concept art you already revealed, and then do slow panning shots over it while people endlessly dream about how cool it will all be. The fact that you're doing dreams-over-concept-art at the 7 year mark shouldn't be at all concerning to anyone. Nope.
* This ship has the biggest gun in the game mounted on it even thought it's a minelayer because somebody finally realized that the only thing that really sells is direct P2W upgrades. Nobody loving cares about the mines, unless they can be used to P2W. They want the invincible giant ship with the biggest gun.
* Okay enough sales pitches. Time to review.... some more art asset work! They really don't have anyone in the company who makes games anymore, do they. Oh good they streamlined the diffuse textures and normal maps! Nobody will ever care.
* More skins for spaceships in a game where there is no skin system
* HOLY poo poo HE SAID THE WORD GAMEPLAY- oh nevermind they added new text colors to the chat display. loving :lol:
* Oh good they're adding suppressor attachments. Now I can... sneak up on the enemies that don't react to gunfire in any way already? Eliminate the sound of my weapons firing in space? Really glad they're getting to the good stuff.
* More audio updates- systemic foley systems. Sounds very complicated! It can detect your falling speed to make crashes sound more crunchy! This sounds like the kind of thing that happens when you have nothing productive to add.
* NEW MERCH ALL OUR CHINA poo poo GOT TARRIFFED HOLY poo poo BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT
* "The challenge of working with Aegis ships... is that they're very grey and militaristic." LOL you don't say.
* Now some actual content, UI team interviews. Zane Bien, the UI person, still exists despite being an abject failure at basically every aspect of the UI he has designed.
* They are still switching away from Flash- this was a problem like 5 years ago.
* They have basically reinvented HTML and css flexbox for their UI screens.
* He keeps talking about foundations for buildiing the UI. Reminder: it is the 7th year of development. Almost started!
* That's it. Still nothing about 3.7 which is now due in 4 weeks.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Scruffpuff posted:

Everything but a game with these loving people.

"Legacy offerings" for a game that isn't designed yet. I can't believe how much of a piece of poo poo Chris Roberts is.

Just wait until CR has "expanded universe" offerings.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dementropy posted:

Just wait until CR has "expanded universe" offerings.

“Until”? Erin seems to be providing this quite well, and they could always bring Ben back.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Sarsapariller posted:

* They are still switching away from Flash- this was a problem like 5 years ago.
* He keeps talking about foundations for buildiing the UI. Reminder: it is the 7th year of development. Almost started!

Yay, it's called 'Building Blocks'

Good thing they're getting rid of Scaleform just before discovery too. One less thing to worry about.

quote:

...the past several months we've been
working on some new tech that we're
calling building blocks internally but
really what it is it's a replacement for
our current UI tools. Before what we had
was a very difficult to use system that
uses flash and scaleform...

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Kosumo posted:

I thought CIG was smashing Crytek into oblivion but I hearing that washed up, bank rump Crytek is releasing a new game, Hunt:Showdown?

They are indeed...

And for some reason have decided to throw out everything that made the game enjoyable and unique (clunky, satisfying, hard to handle weapons and purposeful combat) - for favour of what I at my most generous have to call 'console appeal', or at least some misguided attempt to snag CoD fanboys. Weapon sway that made aiming meticulous and rewarding? Gone. Atrocious new 'console optimized' UI? You bet! Microtransactions? Got 'em! It feels like a dumbed down milquetoast backpedal on what had been a unique and enjoyable wild-west horror shooter.

But yes, they're releasing it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ah, so you play in the past but are part of the present living breathing universe. Makes sense!

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

So long and thanks for all the fish

THAT Kazan doesn't hesitate to mention 'as a software engineer' on almost every post as if it's some form of authority or credence.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Artificial scarcity to scare dumb nerds into buying bullshit? Say it ain't so!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Artificial scarcity to scare dumb nerds into buying bullshit? Say it ain't so!

Please FUDster, that is actual scarcity, those items are not JPEGs, they exist and there is a limit to them.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

trucutru posted:

Please FUDster, that is actual scarcity, those items are not JPEGs, they exist and there is a limit to them.

I guess a lot of their friends are getting SC Christmas gifts this year.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Nice they built HTML5 / Javascript into Cryengine?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Dogeh posted:

I guess a lot of their friends are getting SC Christmas gifts this year.

Imagine what that must feel like - getting some kind of SC bullshit as a Christmas gift from a friend or family member, as a constant reminder that they're still in a cult long past its expiration date. It's almost too depressing to think about.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

no_recall posted:

Nice they built HTML5 / Javascript into Cryengine?

No not really, it just looks very similar to modern flexbox web UI's. They probably spent 2 years rediscovering it behind the scenes in c++ or something.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Space Court dates when?

:munch:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

trucutru posted:

Yeah there's no way to create key rings, that tech is being lost on the human race in 5 minutes from now.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

no_recall posted:

Space Court dates when?

:munch:

90 days tops

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Software devs.
Love: Writing tasks.
Hate: Hitting 'done' on tasks.

This is reality.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
A shitpost with artistic potential

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

his nibs posted:

yes gently caress the game Jared, what I really need is a mousepad

Swag

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Thoatse posted:

A shitpost with artistic potential

Well, there’s a product I am never ever ever ever buying now.

Much like Star Citizen :crobear:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

Inside Star Citizen

Watching a 12 minute show so you don't have to!

This week's synopsis:
* You might not have heard about this but there's a MINELAYER NOW ONLY 800 DOLLARS NOW GO BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT
* Devs are placed in front of the camera to straight up lie about the state of the combat in the game and how this will add a "Defensive element" to it, instead of "Another broken element"
* The cheapest way to make a video every week is to take the concept art you already revealed, and then do slow panning shots over it while people endlessly dream about how cool it will all be. The fact that you're doing dreams-over-concept-art at the 7 year mark shouldn't be at all concerning to anyone. Nope.
* This ship has the biggest gun in the game mounted on it even thought it's a minelayer because somebody finally realized that the only thing that really sells is direct P2W upgrades. Nobody loving cares about the mines, unless they can be used to P2W. They want the invincible giant ship with the biggest gun.
* Okay enough sales pitches. Time to review.... some more art asset work! They really don't have anyone in the company who makes games anymore, do they. Oh good they streamlined the diffuse textures and normal maps! Nobody will ever care.
* More skins for spaceships in a game where there is no skin system
* HOLY poo poo HE SAID THE WORD GAMEPLAY- oh nevermind they added new text colors to the chat display. loving :lol:
* Oh good they're adding suppressor attachments. Now I can... sneak up on the enemies that don't react to gunfire in any way already? Eliminate the sound of my weapons firing in space? Really glad they're getting to the good stuff.
* More audio updates- systemic foley systems. Sounds very complicated! It can detect your falling speed to make crashes sound more crunchy! This sounds like the kind of thing that happens when you have nothing productive to add.
* NEW MERCH ALL OUR CHINA poo poo GOT TARRIFFED HOLY poo poo BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT
* "The challenge of working with Aegis ships... is that they're very grey and militaristic." LOL you don't say.
* Now some actual content, UI team interviews. Zane Bien, the UI person, still exists despite being an abject failure at basically every aspect of the UI he has designed.
* They have basically reinvented HTML and css flexbox for their UI screens.
* That's it. Still nothing about 3.7 which is now due in 4 weeks.

You´re doing god´s work. Keep doing what you´re doing.

On the last comment, and the recent private dinner comments, I presume today´s Pillage Talk with Chris himself should be doing some fine damage control. He maybe even attempts to play his own game again! Can´t wait!

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen: Flyre Festival

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Sarsapariller posted:

Inside Star Citizen

Oh good they streamlined the diffuse textures and normal maps! Nobody will ever care.

What the gently caress does this even mean? How do you streamline a diffuse map? Yell at your artists to work faster? Also, normal maps are automatically generated. You just take a low poly mesh and a high poly mesh and bake the normal. :psyboom:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

They streamlined the diffuse map into a condensed map :v:

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Star Citizen: Flyre Festival

Star Citizen: Buyer Festival

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dogeh posted:

Star Citizer: gently caress you, got potatoe

Is that the Aegis motto?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kosumo posted:

I thought CIG was smashing Crytek into oblivion but I hearing that washed up, bank rump Crytek is releasing a new game, Hunt:Showdown?

Crytek just had to make an Oblivion NPC named Crytek and flag it as Essential, then get it installed on Chris's computer, so it keeps getting up whenever Chris knocks it down. Two years later, he still hasn't noticed, even though it could all fit into one crater in Star Citizen.

rePool posted:

THAT Kazan doesn't hesitate to mention 'as a software engineer' on almost every post as if it's some form of authority or credence.

I would hate to be the person trying to keep track of a project that Kazan is working on. Wouldn't surprise me if he commits code without ever commenting on what it does, all because he's too busy writing his little bit and doesn't care about cooperation. Application crashes all of a sudden? Better read through all of Kazan's recent code commits to see if anything might be relevant.

Bofast fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 30, 2019

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Looks like CIG has made some new little minigame on their website for the minelayer JPEG?
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1167180835516084224

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

That poster hit a little too close to home :ohdear:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
:lol:
That Kazan has to be one of the most insecure Reddit posters I have ever seen.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bofast posted:

Looks like CIG has made some new little minigame on their website for the minelayer JPEG?
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1167180835516084224

Woo hoo! A second system*

* system might not be in game yet

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Agony Aunt posted:

tier 0

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Agony Aunt posted:

I would not be the least bit surprised if one of the regular Reddit morons start using this as a sign that a second system is mostly done (it's in the minigame already, right?!?) and that CIG just needs to enable it in the PU :D

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Enchanted Hat posted:

Are the Star Citizen human empire really supposed to be the good guys? All I remember about Star Citizen lore is that they're a militaristic autocracy that at some point genocided an entire race of sapient bird men. I just kind of naturally assumed that I was supposed to think that the empire was evil :psyduck:

think that's bad?

let me tell you about the sickening truth

of the 4th stimpire :getin:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Anyone say "potate-hoe" yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006