Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Convenience was the main reason I hacked my Wii. I just wanted everything in one place in a way that was easy for my wife to use. I'd be much more willing to use the eShop if the prices weren't highway robbery - 7.99 for an SNES game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

cirus posted:

Convenience was the main reason I hacked my Wii. I just wanted everything in one place in a way that was easy for my wife to use. I'd be much more willing to use the eShop if the prices weren't highway robbery - 7.99 for an SNES game?

"Nintendo hates money" but also people aren't willing to spend $8 for Mega Man X, which is why I don't understand why people complain that the Virtual Console isn't a thing anymore.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Takoluka posted:

"Nintendo hates money" but also people aren't willing to spend $8 for Mega Man X, which is why I don't understand why people complain that the Virtual Console isn't a thing anymore.

Because there are multiple good old games I want to on a portable console

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Again, never underestimate people’s appetite for hacking Nintendo systems. As mentioned, the 360 scene is dead but the 3ds scene is alive and well. Just differing mindsets for those platforms.
The 3DS really got blown open by two major vulnerabilities (arm9loaderhax, sighax) that were very specific and almost didn't happen. In particular, the ASN.1 parsing code that is responsible for sighax is found, nearly identically, in the main firmware code as well and the vulnerability was patched there since the very first 3DS firmware revision. Sure, it was a colossal Nintendo mistake that the patch never made it to the bootroms even across multiple hardware revisions, but again, it almost didn't happen.

If you want to compare to another example, the PSP hacking community was massive in the day, and a similar exploit was found for the PSP-1000 that really blew that wide open. Sony stepped up their game and patched the IPL in subsequent device revisions and later model 2000s, 3000s, the Go, and the E1000 still haven't been hacked to quite the same level (bootrom exploit). It was really only after Sony transitioned to the Vita and left other PSP runtime vulnerabilities out in the open that hacking became reliable again on all firmware revisions. And the Vita itself is currently engaged in a cat & mouse game with Sony that Sony could easily win right now (disabling PSN downloads for firmware 3.70) if they cared to.

In short, if the very people who blew open the 3DS are saying "outlook not so good" regarding the Switch, they're probably right.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 19, 2019

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

cirus posted:

Lmao.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've seen a lot of posts saying "...and this reason is why this device will never be hacked" only for it to be hacked some months to years later. Which is why I was ok with trading in my launch Switch for the revised model.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I've seen a lot of posts saying "...and this reason is why this device will never be hacked" only for it to be hacked some months to years later. Which is why I was ok with trading in my launch Switch for the revised model.

I hacked my old Switch before selling it and made enough money to break even for the new one.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

I mean they're not wrong. I was fine paying 5/8/10 bucks the first time the game was re-released, but now a lot of my vc library went kaput when the Wii shop closed. Having to buy them a second time on the Wii U or on the 3ds feels real lovely, especially when Nintendo is just doing what people do already and taking the rom from emulator sites and selling it themselves. If they were doing the work themselves, dumping their own rom or updating it in some way, like an enhanced edition or something to justify the price, it'd be more justified in my book.

And no, I don't mean the cheat save files that they do now on the Switch Online service. That's like the lowest effort thing that people will look at once then never use again. The switch online Netflix style system would be the ideal middle ground but they're so slow in releasing titles and there's some titles that won't ever appear on the service, it's just kind of a drag.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ExcessBLarg! posted:

In short, if the very people who blew open the 3DS are saying "outlook not so good" regarding the Switch, they're probably right.

They are right about the outlook not looking good. That doesn't mean someone won't find something eventually.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

That doesn't mean someone won't find something eventually.
That's true. The thing is people are making statements in both extremes: "the new Switch will definitely be hacked some day, so many people are working on it!" and "no way it will ever be hacked, Nintnedo really stepped up their game!"

The likely reality is probably somewhere in the middle where people will find exploitable vulnerabilies here and there, but they'll be much more difficult to make consistent use of over time. Who knows though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hacked my old Switch before selling it and made enough money to break even for the new one.

I had a small hairline crack on the bezel close to the screen and a weird loose screw on the bottom. Both problems that were unnoticeable unless you were looking for them. I'd feel too guilty about selling that to an actual person. But I was happy to screw over Gamestop.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

CascadeBeta posted:

I mean they're not wrong. I was fine paying 5/8/10 bucks the first time the game was re-released, but now a lot of my vc library went kaput when the Wii shop closed. Having to buy them a second time on the Wii U or on the 3ds feels real lovely, especially when Nintendo is just doing what people do already and taking the rom from emulator sites and selling it themselves. If they were doing the work themselves, dumping their own rom or updating it in some way, like an enhanced edition or something to justify the price, it'd be more justified in my book.

And no, I don't mean the cheat save files that they do now on the Switch Online service. That's like the lowest effort thing that people will look at once then never use again. The switch online Netflix style system would be the ideal middle ground but they're so slow in releasing titles and there's some titles that won't ever appear on the service, it's just kind of a drag.

You're frustrated, and lots of people are, but this is catastrophizing a little bit.

When the Wii eShop stopped taking new orders, it didn't delete your games or brick your console. If your console is dying, transfer to your WiiU.

Actually, WiiU basically gave away lots of vc games for like a quarter apiece. And if your Wii is bricking, any WiiU re-purchases/upgrades were $1 for NES up to $2 I think for N64. Not free, but close.

Nesflix hasn't been the awesome smorgasbord I was hoping but they both own the rights to the games they supposedly just downloaded off ROM sites, and also, well, didn't do that. Being lossless duplicates, it'd still be indistinguishable even if they ripped their own (or you did, or I did). Although old ROM sites used to hex-edit the ROM headers to say the site name, now that I think of it.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

CascadeBeta posted:

This, exactly. Nintendo expects me to pony up for my library again and again and again. It's terrible, especially when I can look at my account and see the titles I've purchased.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Whoever was looking for a WiiU keep an eye on Facebook marketplace, they go for $100 all day long there.(depends on your area I assume)

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

RodShaft posted:

Whoever was looking for a WiiU keep an eye on Facebook marketplace, they go for $100 all day long there.(depends on your area I assume)

I ended up buying one on eBay for 120 but it came with everything including a clean controller screen along with 3 wiimotes and a mic. Gonna get it at the end of the week but it looks promising anyway.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Speaking of WiiU is there a decent guide for WiiU injection for DS games? I wanted to throw a few of my favorites on, but after an afternoon of frustration I could only get like a really old beta DS injector to work with no custom icons or anything.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I'm having problems with injecting N64 games on WiiU. I've tried injecting Mario 64 as a test case, using Injectiine v1.23 and following this YouTube video, but so far it hasn't been working - once I got the game to launch into a black screen with no sound, other times the console has frozen on the VC loading screen. I guess what I'm confused on is the correct combination of game rom, base rom and config file.
  • Do I need to match the region of the game rom with my WiiU's region? My console is European but all instructions and compatibility lists I can find are mostly for USA/JAP roms. If this doesn't matter, I'm fine with using whichever version works.
  • Do I need to match the regions of the game rom and the base rom? Injectiine gives me Excitebike 64 for USA and Donkey Kong 64 for EUR as base roms (or "base supplied from files" as a third option, but I'm not sure what that means). The GBATemp compatibility list gives Donkey Kong 64 USA / Mario Golf 64 USA as recommended base roms. Is Mario 64 EUR + DK 64 EUR the way to go?
  • Which config file do I need to use? Injectiine has a lot of options for this, including SM64 EUR, DK64 EUR, DK64 USA, and "base config .ini". Do I need to match this with my injected game rom or the base rom? GBATemp has "By Nintendo" as the recommended config file for SM64, which I assume means the game's own config file. So if I'm injecting SM64 EUR with DK64 EUR as base rom, I assume I should use the SM64 EUR config .ini?
Does any of this sound correct? I'm pretty sure I've already tried the combo of SM64 EUR rom + DK64 EUR base + SM64 EUR config, but if you think it should work, I'll try it again. Or is there maybe another injector I should be using instead of Injectiine?

RodShaft posted:

Speaking of WiiU is there a decent guide for WiiU injection for DS games? I wanted to throw a few of my favorites on, but after an afternoon of frustration I could only get like a really old beta DS injector to work with no custom icons or anything.

The YouTube instructions for Injectiine I linked should also work for DS games, but I haven't tried it (and obviously I haven't even got N64 injection to work with the instructions, so I can't say for sure whether they'll be of any help).

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Why is my 3ds telling me I need to do a system update when I'm already on 11.10 and there aren't any new updates out?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

LODGE NORTH posted:

*looks at the utter chaos that is the desolate 360 scene*

A good reason for that is the fact that there just aren't a lot of surviving 360s. I still have a working RGH'ed fat model in a crate waiting for the day I finally decide to finish Lost Odyssey. It will almost certainly RROD on the last chapter. I've accepted this.

Chronojam posted:

You're frustrated, and lots of people are, but this is catastrophizing a little bit.

When the Wii eShop stopped taking new orders, it didn't delete your games or brick your console. If your console is dying, transfer to your WiiU.

Actually, WiiU basically gave away lots of vc games for like a quarter apiece. And if your Wii is bricking, any WiiU re-purchases/upgrades were $1 for NES up to $2 I think for N64. Not free, but close.

All of this is beside the point. the value of a NES or SNES rom is free. Anyone can just download any of these ROMS for absolutely nothing from a simple google search. They can then run those ROMS on practically any piece of hardware with a screen and enough buttons. This makes pirating ROMS a straight up better experience than what Nintendo's doing. You can keep the roms wherever you want and run them on whatever you want.

Netflix solved this problem for movies by making it way more convenient to just pay a fee so you can stream a vast library directly to whatever device you want, wherever you are. That's straight up better than what piracy can offer. Spotify did the same for music.

Nintendo doesn't even understand what they're competing with. Until they make something that's actually better than piracy, it's going to be worth zero dollars.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Nintendo doesn't even understand what they're competing with. Until they make something that's actually better than piracy, it's going to be worth zero dollars.
I think Digital Eclipse's approach is right on the money. You can't really complete with free ROMs, and the masses don't even care about that. Instead, sell a premium product that caters to the enthusiast market that includes everything you don't get with a straight-up ROM, including manual and box scans, plus any ephemera you can get hands on (design documents, media materials, ads, etc.). You're probably not going to do a ton of sales on it, but hopefully enough to recoup the investment. If nothing else, you now have a product that's pretty well preserved that you can reissue for future generations at minimal cost.

That's what Nintendo should be doing, and it seems that at this point everyone else is getting it but Nintendo. And Sony.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Which is exactly why New Media ate Old Media. If you're already struggling, you don't really have the opportunity to throw away all your existing revenue to chase a transforming market, so some new upstart with nothing to lose is going to eat your lunch. Nintendo has cash in the bank right now to do this right, but the people at the top don't understand the internet.

Sony is at least starting to clue in a little with PS Now and free Plus games, but much like the Vita they're not making a solid enough commitment to the idea.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 29, 2019

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Netflix removes movies constantly, and if Nintendo was ever like "Oh yeah, Super Castlevania 4 is leaving SNESflix this fall!" people would whine so much that their stock would drop. The solution that people seem to want is "Full access to everything, without question," and outside of piracy, you can't get that. It's not possible. And on top of that, I've seen the argument that $5.99 for Mega Man Legacy Collection 1 is too much, anything above free is too much for LC2, and Disney Afternoon Collection at $5 is "a rip-off." Those are so full of content outside of the games, but no one ever seems excited for it outside of super niche enthusiasts. There's no winning this game, and Nintendo just decided to barely play it at all.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Takoluka posted:

Netflix removes movies constantly, and if Nintendo was ever like "Oh yeah, Super Castlevania 4 is leaving SNESflix this fall!" people would whine so much that their stock would drop. The solution that people seem to want is "Full access to everything, without question," and outside of piracy, you can't get that. It's not possible. And on top of that, I've seen the argument that $5.99 for Mega Man Legacy Collection 1 is too much, anything above free is too much for LC2, and Disney Afternoon Collection at $5 is "a rip-off." Those are so full of content outside of the games, but no one ever seems excited for it outside of super niche enthusiasts. There's no winning this game, and Nintendo just decided to barely play it at all.

If what you're saying is true, why is Netflix a successful company? Why doesn't the stock drop when they remove content? Why do people sign up for it even though they can pirate everything?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

netflix doesnt make any money

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Super No Vacancy posted:

oh drat i'm netflix

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Super No Vacancy posted:

nutflix on the other hand

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like what Nintendo is doing with old games on Switch, in theory. They just need to add way more games and more platforms. I prefer getting them as a subscription thing over paying 5-8 dollars for each one.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

RandomFerret posted:

Man, I tried so hard to get this thing working, the dev even spent an hour trying to help me online. I don't think I'm ever going to get to play Miles Edgeworth 2.

I got it running using this video today. The guy explains it in a way that even an idiot (like myself) can follow along (on my Mac).

For Investigations, you might have to get rid of the anti piracy measures. There is a patch at the bottom of this post, which worked for me.

By the way, what do you actually do with linux once you get it to run on the switch? Idgi.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SeANMcBAY posted:

I like what Nintendo is doing with old games on Switch, in theory. They just need to add way more games and more platforms. I prefer getting them as a subscription thing over paying 5-8 dollars for each one.

Both options would be cool, I don't mind purchasing a film if it's not included with my Prime or Netflix subscriptions, but I hate when I'm looking for a specific film or series and there's literally no way I can watch it without bootlegging it. And I'm not dredging up old rear end physical media that I don't collect.

Same poo poo goes for games, I'd love to have an official way to go back to some old school games without bootlegging or pulling out a 20 year old console and sourcing a lovely CRT TV in order to enjoy them.

Thank god for emulation.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

All of this is beside the point. the value of a NES or SNES rom is free. Anyone can just download any of these ROMS for absolutely nothing from a simple google search. They can then run those ROMS on practically any piece of hardware with a screen and enough buttons. This makes pirating ROMS a straight up better experience than what Nintendo's doing. You can keep the roms wherever you want and run them on whatever you want.

Joe Consumer doesn't want to fiddle around with ROMs and BIOS and controller configurations and emulation cores and sound buffering and video wrappers or filtering etc etc.

Honestly, even in 2019, Joe User often still has problems deciding what "root of your sd card" even means and simply isn't interested in developing the hobbyist skills to have his own emulation setup (be it a pi, full-effort arcade cabinet setup, or even the relatively straightforward modded SNES mini).

I have no doubt that Dr. Fishopolis can homebrew his 3DS to run GBA flawlessly as a perfect and easy avenue to enjoying those classic games, but Joe User is going to be thinking about throwing in the towel somewhere around determining his firmware version. Nesflix could be better, but that (or paying a couple dollars a la carte in the past) is still way less daunting than piracy for your average person.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You're overthinking this. Literally anything will run a 2D emulator and they're even easy to get than the roms, you don't need an emulation station or a modded console, just a laptop or a phone.

Which isn't to say I agree with the previous poster's position, just that your rebuttal isn't a very good one.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Chronojam is right that dealing with ROMs is too strong a barrier for the average person, but Fishopolis is right that ROMs are vastly better than Nintendo's current offerings. Which leaves us with the current situation: only dedicated enthusiasts are playing the great many classic games that aren't available on NESflix or a mini console or as a rerelease, they have no ability to legally purchase 99% of those ROMs even if they had the incentive, and normies without a Wii U only have access to a few dozen classic games. If Netflix only had 60 movies that most people aren't excited about watching, it wouldn't be deterring piracy at all. If I were able to easily buy an old game for a buck or two and know that I won't lose it when my hardware becomes obsolete, I'd have no reason to mess with ROMs.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Netflix mostly gets by on new, mostly bad original content now.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
It really does not take very much effort to download a snes emulator on an android phone and get it working, and even less on any computer made in the last 10 years. Honestly, the barrier to entry for most people is knowing it's a thing you can do. If someone is interested in running old games, especially young people who are likely to own a Switch, they're also savvy enough to type "play snes games on computer" into google and follow the instructions.

edit: What makes me especially crazy about this is that Nintendo is making no money at all from the vast library of IP they own. Meanwhile they're shutting down sites like snesbox which play snes games in a god drat browser window, no downloading required. Holy christ guys, just do that and charge five bucks a month.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 30, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I don't think I know a single person who would want to play a videogame that isn't aware of emulators, in any age group.

E: not game group, age group.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 30, 2019

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

We're not the only people who play video games and need to remember that it's very likely that posters in the Nintendo homebrew thread on Something Awful (and buddies) do not represent the majority of the audience or potential audience for these games. Joe Consumer isn't buying a wireless controller to use with cell phone emulation and definitely isn't going to enjoy the experience of touchscreen controls if he figures out how to properly stick ROMs on his phone; these are nontrivial hurdles to enjoyment unless he really likes old games or knows what he's doing.

Nesflix is obviously leaving much to be desired and old games are money left on the table, there's no disagreement there.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Chronojam posted:

Joe Consumer doesn't want to fiddle around with ROMs and BIOS and controller configurations and emulation cores and sound buffering and video wrappers or filtering etc etc.

Joe Consumer is just going to by a Raspberry Pi with six billion ROMs loaded onto it or have someone do it for them.

acksplode posted:

If I were able to easily buy an old game for a buck or two and know that I won't lose it when my hardware becomes obsolete, I'd have no reason to mess with ROMs.

Fuckin' exactly, I have so many purchases across the Wii/Wii U/3DS that are all lost to time unless I bother using those consoles just for those games. The thing I love about Steam is my collection doesn't become obsolete with hardware save for specific instances, and even then you can mod easily enough on PC that fans will fix poo poo that devs won't.

I'm usually against new software launchers since I love everything unified, but god drat if I wouldn't go apeshit for a Nintendo branded PC storefront that sells PC titles and first party ports. But nope, gotta keep illegally downloading things because there's no way I can play Yoshi's Island outside of the SNES (and I think Wii or Wii U?).

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yoshi's Island is just about the worst example you could have picked. I personally own that game on four different platforms (snes cart, gba, wii vc and snes mini)

The real pisser is stuff that's so lost in red tape nobody could rerelease it even if they wanted to. You want to buy eternal darkness, you're going to need to spend some serious cash on eBay and hope the disc isn't too scratched up

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The original SNES version of Yoshi’s Island was only rereleased on the SNES Mini so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyrim Job
Sep 1, 2019

by Smythe
Got Android for switch set up, but the load time is horrible so I'm going to swap sd card brands... Supposedly SanDisk is bad for it

Pretty happy that goldeneye is near perfect, lakka wasn't cutting it

Skyrim Job fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 1, 2019