Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

does anyone know if the DNA Designs Bludgeon figure is good quality? I grew up in the UK reading the comics, and bludgeon was my favourite guy, but there's never been a good figure of him afaik. I'd like to buy the fancy looking 3rd party one, but I don't want to spend that much money on something that falls apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

He's good but he's based on a first party figure you can probably find for somewhat less.

Any excuse to link a top 10 thew review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS_4Sr_zMcc

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

juggalo baby coffin posted:

does anyone know if the DNA Designs Bludgeon figure is good quality? I grew up in the UK reading the comics, and bludgeon was my favourite guy, but there's never been a good figure of him afaik. I'd like to buy the fancy looking 3rd party one, but I don't want to spend that much money on something that falls apart
The RotF one is pretty good TBH, and you can find it cheaply enough these days.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Long delivery times from China and pre-orders coming in mean that I’m gonna get FT Quietus, FT Koot, XTB Andras, and Takara Legends God Ginrai all around today/this weekend, just in time for my birthday!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Unicron crowdfund has been extended to Oct 6th, only 2600 needed to hit the mark. Seems far more likely now.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I have it and it owns. Very sturdy and stable, good heft to him.

I haven't handled the ROTF one but as I understand it it's smaller and all plastic so obviously not as good by the rules of transformers toys.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have the ROTF sitting on my desk. It's okay but very dated.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's more a marvel that it got made at all for ROTF

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There were a few G1 homage bots in the first few movie toylines weren't there?

CHUG Decepticons and a few UT bots as well.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

ROTF HFTD was like entirely G1 homages; it’s great. Voyager Sea Spray is still the poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Captain Magic posted:

ROTF HFTD was like entirely G1 homages; it’s great. Voyager Sea Spray is still the poo poo.

He's in my pile of "get on display asap" bots but I've run out of room on the Autobot shelf.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Captain Magic posted:

I loved that you could load up Breacher in Seaspray’s vehicle deck.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Rhyno posted:

The Unicron crowdfund has been extended to Oct 6th, only 2600 needed to hit the mark. Seems far more likely now.

It was going to be pretty close even without the extension. Probably a lock now. Certainly nice to not have Unicron and MP-44 on the same month's credit card statement.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
2600 in 2 days seemed unlikely. Glad it's getting the time extended.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah but the fact that they went ALL in on the bright orange skeleton samurai murder tank in the movie line

That goes a lot further than just a really good Seaspray

Though I think Lugnut needs to be remembered too. Dude had some BITCHING stuff he could do with his arms

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

because of the time period I was born in (missed gen 1 completely, but was target age for gen 2) all i really had for transformers media was some old VHS tapes of a few episodes of the cartoon, and the UK comics. it was weird when i got older and got the internet and got a couple of confused reactions when I talked about the main decepticon being an orange skeleton samurai who kept murdering everyone all the time.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 29, 2019

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Went ahead and ordered the metallic repaint of Quietus because that is a gorgeous purple and a phenomenal mold. I hope Fanstoys gets a Scourge made at some point because they really seem to be at their best with the movie Decepticons.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

does anyone make a scourge with the sassy pink fingernails from the cartoon? i want that scourge.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It's a crime ROTF Bludgeon wasn't remade for a G1 toyline yet. Not even a retool of CW Megatron or TR Blitzwing. The exclusive CW Onslaught repaint doesn't count.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FanToys' Hunk looks pretty rad.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

does anyone make a scourge with the sassy pink fingernails from the cartoon? i want that scourge.

The X-Transbots one has them.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

FanToys' Hunk looks pretty rad.

Yeah I’m getting him for sure. I may pick up Sheridan too, but something about him doesn’t look like he’d say KABLAM!

He looks like a nice young man who’d ask to mow my yard for $20.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Keldroc posted:

drat now that is tempting. scourge was one of my first transformers i got as a kid, found him at a car boot sale. there's just something super cool about the sweeps and cyclonus. i wish they had done toys of the quintessons at some point, i loved the tentacle guy with the snail-looking head.

edit: or some of the non-wreckgar junkions, like the lady from big broadcast or the background guy with viking horns.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Keldroc posted:

The CHUG Scourge where he turns into a big flying wing has straight up red claws

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Phy posted:

The CHUG Scourge where he turns into a big flying wing has straight up red claws
Yeah I'm trying to remember who ate the first probation I ever saw in one of our TF threads making transphobic comments about that.

That CHUG one is real good though.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah I'm trying to remember who ate the first probation I ever saw in one of our TF threads making transphobic comments about that.

That CHUG one is real good though.

did they not watch the cartoon? the pink nails have always been scourge's thing, and the use of colour is one of the main things that makes transformers stand out so much from other robot toys.

speaking of use of colour, my sixshot got here today (first transformer i've bought in like 10 years), and he's the perfect size to ride on the weird skeleton horse i've had for what seems like my entire life. I have no idea where it's from, but it somehow survived every time I got rid of childhood toys.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 30, 2019

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

did they not watch the cartoon? the pink nails have always been scourge's thing, and the use of colour is one of the main things that makes transformers stand out so much from other robot toys.

speaking of use of colour, my sixshot got here today (first transformer i've bought in like 10 years), and he's the perfect size to ride on the weird skeleton horse i've had for what seems like my entire life. I have no idea where it's from, but it somehow survived every time I got rid of childhood toys.

Pretty sure that's from Skeleton Warriors

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Pretty sure that's from Skeleton Warriors

hell yeah, that's it!

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Apparently Siege Ratchet is out in Canada, found at an EB Games in Quebec. Still no preorder or any other news whatsoever on the US Walgreens exclusive front.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

and the use of colour is one of the main things that makes transformers stand out so much from other robot toys.

I'm not sure what you mean here, can you clarify?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rhyno posted:

He's in my pile of "get on display asap" bots but I've run out of room on the Autobot shelf.
HFTD Seaspray clearly lifts, so have him lifting up one of the other bots and take their place

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've decided to move as many large autobots into the spaces in front of my books on the lower shelves as I can fit. I just have so many drat autobots.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

i wish they had done toys of the quintessons at some point, i loved the tentacle guy with the snail-looking head.

They totes did.

A snaky-dude back in Energon, and then a bunch of 3rd-party show-accurate ones. Not that I would recommend going on some mad quest to find them, but if you want, they're out there somewhere.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

drat now that is tempting. scourge was one of my first transformers i got as a kid, found him at a car boot sale. there's just something super cool about the sweeps and cyclonus. i wish they had done toys of the quintessons at some point, i loved the tentacle guy with the snail-looking head.

edit: or some of the non-wreckgar junkions, like the lady from big broadcast or the background guy with viking horns.

Honestly it is kinda surprising that we haven't gotten proper Quintesson figures yet, probably wouldn't even be too hard to give them Alt-Modes if necessary

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Droyer posted:

I'm not sure what you mean here, can you clarify?

it's mostly applicable to the G1 cartoon designs, i'm probably going to articulate it poorly, but it's kind of like how the simpsons originally used its own weird palette of colours compared to other cartoons. Outside of the very earliest designs the transformers use some very unorthodox colours, either muted shades or pastels, and use those colours in larger 'blocks' than other stuff. you could argue, i guess, that its cheap animation, but to me it was what always grabbed me.

Look at someone like Devastator compared to an equivalent like the power rangers megazord:

or scourge compared to a fairly classic gundam:

a majority of other robot toys, either american or japanese, had a big focus on lots of details (buttons and dials and designs) and lots of different little splashes of colour around, usually in bright primary colours. A fair number of the transformers use primary colours, especially the very earliest diaclone ones, but they use them in big blocks, rather than in bits all over. The animation ones have guys who are fairly muted in their colours, like scourge with his couple of blues and grey face, but then they have one contrast colour that makes them pop where they would otherwise be boring.

Even the insignias are all one colour, rather than being a more complex design.

To me the way they used colour brought the transformers more in line with classic cartoon designs like the scooby gang:

I know a big part of designing for animation (or just cost in general) is to keep the amount of colours and complexity down, but a lot of great looking stuff has come from those sort of restrictions. The simpsons lost a big part of its look when they changed from the original restricted palette of weird colours to a more complete range.

When I was looking through flea markets and car boot sales as a kid to find second hand transformers, I got good at picking them out from pretty far away because of the way they were coloured. They always stood out from the voltrons and power rangers toys and whatever knockoffs cause none of those ever did a giant puce-coloured robot.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I sorta see your point but I'm not sure I agree. Both of the counter-examples you've chosen are protagonists, which are almost always more colorful since they're also the main product to market to children. Here's a Gouf from the first Gundam anime, and I don't think his colorscheme is particularly different from Scourge's:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Droyer posted:

I sorta see your point but I'm not sure I agree. Both of the counter-examples you've chosen are protagonists, which are almost always more colorful since they're also the main product to market to children. Here's a Gouf from the first Gundam anime, and I don't think his colorscheme is particularly different from Scourge's:

oh yeah there's definitely examples of that type of colouring in other robot franchises, but I don't know any that use it so universally across the board. Even optimus is blockily coloured compared to the gundams, and when you get to the post-movie series, the primary hero autobot is mostly a weird orange and maroon colour with yellow details. But then you look at kup, cyclonus, springer, galvatron, wreck-gar etc and they're all very strange colours compared to the majority of other robot toys.

it reminds me almost of moebius or something

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Okay

Okay

How the gently caress does the new Masterpiece Optimus cost nearly as much as the new goddamn Unicron

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Burkion posted:

Okay

Okay

How the gently caress does the new Masterpiece Optimus cost nearly as much as the new goddamn Unicron

the prices on the new masterpieces seem very wild. i'd like the g1 toy deco megatron but its so much fuckin money.

SlothfulCobra posted:

They totes did.

A snaky-dude back in Energon, and then a bunch of 3rd-party show-accurate ones. Not that I would recommend going on some mad quest to find them, but if you want, they're out there somewhere.

holy cow, the only one of the tentacle guy i managed to find was going for $200 on ebay, that's wild. I guess everyone wants the quintessons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Burkion posted:

Okay

Okay

have you seen the engineering? also because they can charge that much and people will buy it. i just found out the voice box has Peter Cullen in it, not just the Japanese dub, and now I'm in.