Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
vaping unambiguously causes lung damage

it also has some fun side effects not caused by smoking -- like heavy metals poisoning from the coil

if you are concerned about your health quit smoking. changing to a vape is not a clear health win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I founded this miniature fog machine in a curled up old monkey's paw, stuffed it with tobacco and my wish to not get lung cancer was granted

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
bringing vaping back to the old tech buble theme, phillip morris international and phillip morris america (altria) are looking at hooking up again

they split in two back in the 00s because shareholders wanted separate exposure to the domestic and international markets, so their stocks were worth more separately than together

now they are looking at merging, because phillip morris international is selling "heat not burn" cigarettes (vapes, but with tobacco) and phillip morris america is the parent company of "juul," the vape beloved by children. they want to have a single company with fully-hedged bets.

you know it's good and healthy when big tobacco is selling it hard

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Vaping smells better than smoking, so all smokers should switch to vaping so I don't have to smell it

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sapozhnik posted:

My main problem is that you have to zoom in to oh I don't know approximately 1:1 scale for it to tell me the name of the current loving street

Also why is the client application still under constant frantic development after ten goddamn years and increasing in battery draw with each release. How is "Draw a map, then a list of upcoming turns and a highlighted line showing the path to take, use speech synthesis to read those turns out at an appropriate time" a problem that takes longer to solve than building a spaceflight program to the point where you can land a guy on the moon and then bring him back again.

I mean I know the answer is "A bunch of assholes at Google really want a loving promotion" but christ.

I have to say that Apple maps handles this really well when in navigation mode. Streets of note are highlighted with large flags bearing the street name:

which is much easier to quickly glance at than the google maps clownshow:

mystes
May 31, 2006

BMan posted:

Vaping smells better than smoking, so all smokers should switch to vaping so I don't have to smell it
Not vaping smells even better.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shifty Pony posted:

I have to say that Apple maps handles this really well when in navigation mode. Streets of note are highlighted with large flags bearing the street name:

which is much easier to quickly glance at than the google maps clownshow:

that's cool. but i remember apple maps jsut being utterly loving horrendous, like telling you to turn on 1-way street (the wrong way), making left turns at places you can't make left-turns, and just a whole bunch of terribly-directed bullshit

granted this was awhile ago so it's probably good now

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mystes posted:

Not vaping smells even better.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

uber and lyft getting downright desperate to prevent the independent contractor scam from ending

quote:

SAN FRANCISCO (KPIX 5) — Uber and Lyft, the two biggest rideshare companies, are telling their drivers they are willing to compromise with a proposal that includes a minimum wage of $21 per hour.

The new proposal comes after days of protests that brought a caravan of rideshare drivers through San Francisco and ended in Sacramento Wednesday.

The demonstrating drivers said they are demanding a living wage and pushing for Assembly Bill 5, which would classify rideshare drivers as employees instead of independent contractors.

Lyft sent a message to its drivers, asking them to talk their legislators out of the bill, saying it could cause the company to “offload” or layoff hundreds of thousands of drivers. The message from Lyft also told drivers that AB5 could cost customers more money and make them wait longer for a car.

In lieu of the legislation, Lyft said it is willing to compromise with drivers, promising they would get paid at least $21 dollars per hour, receive some benefits and also get their voices heard within the company.

“Lyft is advocating for an approach in line with the interests of our drivers, by modernizing century-old labor laws that make it difficult to provide both flexibility and benefits,” Lyft said in a statement. “That’s why we’ve been working on a different solution, so drivers can continue to control where, when, and how long they drive, while also having some basic protections like a minimum earnings floor, a system of worker-directed portable benefits, and representation.”

Lyft driver Edan Alva was in Sacramento Wednesday with a group called Gig Workers Rising that is advocating for the passage of AB5. He says he usually makes between $20 and $25 per hour depending on tips, which, in the Bay Area, is not enough.

“$21 dollars an hour is an insult to drivers,” Alva said. “There is no way to make ends meet, I can’t afford healthcare insurance for me and my son.”

Tech Crunch is reporting that Uber is also pushing the $21 dollar an hour minimum wage through a petition urging Uber drivers to move away from AB5.

Uber driver Rob Lyon said the company needs to figure out a way to pay its drivers more.

“They have to reward the individual drivers that provide a five star service with a five star paycheck,” Lyon said.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Xaris posted:

that's cool. but i remember apple maps jsut being utterly loving horrendous, like telling you to turn on 1-way street (the wrong way), making left turns at places you can't make left-turns, and just a whole bunch of terribly-directed bullshit

granted this was awhile ago so it's probably good now

shockingly good. I was recently on a trip to St Louis with a car equipped with CarPlay I was impressed, it gave plenty of warning about which lanes you needed to avoid or be in and didn't try to trick me into going into Illinois once!

it did pronounce some street names absurdly but to be fair the locals do too.

it is also much less aggressive than google maps about rerouting to avoid traffic.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The_Franz posted:

i wonder if there is an inverse bell curve of nicotine use among adolescents that hit a low sometime in the 00s and is on the rise again due to vaping

when i was in high school the kids who smoked in the bathroom were basically the best anti-smoking ad possible: flunkies who were perpetually considered 1st years because they failed everything sucking on a soggy cigarette that was stashed behind the toilet

this is true according to the stats

self-reported cigarette use at least once per month by 12th grade students cratered from around 28% to barely 10% by 2010 and less than 5% between 1996 and 2018. we did it, nobody smoked anymore.

self-reported vape use at least once per month between 2011 and 2017 by 12th graders rose from 4% to 27% and by 8th graders is over 10%. everyone vapes now!

no wonder Big Tobacco loves the things

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

one thing i'd like to see in the gps mapping apps is a least effort mode, where you can evaluate choices for transit based not just on time, but how the overall experience is. i'd far rather take a few more minutes and take two turns instead of twenty, or (depending on mood) take a bit more time for a scenic route. or it'd be nice to see an option for what the greenest choice is. time isn't the only consideration

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'd like to see Google maps do a "leave by/arrive at" for multistop trips.

I mean, you can tell me when to leave X at time t1 to arrive at Y at time t2, but you can't handle "X to Y, arrive Y, spend specified amount of time at Y, Y to Z".

It seems like a conceptually simple thing to add?

:shrug:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, you can tell me when to leave X at time t1 to arrive at Y at time t2, but you can't handle "X to Y, arrive Y, spend specified amount of time at Y, Y to Z".

that sounds like an incredibly niche use case and adding features for every incredibly niche use case leads to a bloated hard to use monstrosity

mystes
May 31, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

That would be a great feature for the trip planning app they just killed.

mystes
May 31, 2006

That reminds me, can desktop Google maps search along a route?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

BMan posted:

candy clouds from a fancy robot's penis

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Broken Machine posted:

one thing i'd like to see in the gps mapping apps is a least effort mode, where you can evaluate choices for transit based not just on time, but how the overall experience is. i'd far rather take a few more minutes and take two turns instead of twenty, or (depending on mood) take a bit more time for a scenic route. or it'd be nice to see an option for what the greenest choice is. time isn't the only consideration
google maps shows you driving vs biking vs walking vs multiple transit options and, connections, etc.

however, "experience" is extremely subjective. for example, one of the routes i use to get to outer-east bay from berkeley is up over grizzley peak which is kinda in-the-know for local commuters, its extremely scenic and gorgeous but it's lots of tight-narrow turns on a windy mountain road very high up with steep drop-offs. you can take the turns pretty fast unless you have a semi and blow a 50 in a 35 most of the way. but there are also lots of bikers and stuf. so for some people, windy roads with no shoulders and bikers is a hair-raising experience. other time experience may be making a lot of unprotected left-turns onto v. busy streets which people hate.

waze does have a slew of options, which includes "avoid difficult intersections" which will make it easier in that case,

most people just want to get from point A to B as fast as possible, experience is just too niche and subjective that it's not worth even considering.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

it's great fun when google maps thinks you're on a bicycle, try changing htat option while driving

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Xaris posted:

google maps shows you driving vs biking vs walking vs multiple transit options and, connections, etc.

waze does have a slew of options, which includes "avoid difficult intersections" which will make it easier in that case,

most people just want to get from point A to B as fast as possible, experience is just too niche and subjective that it's not worth even considering.

true; however, i think they could do something like it with either machine learning or analysis of a large number of trips. but yes, driver satisfaction would be difficult to measure without specifically gathering that data from users. they could analyse routes with a view to minimize risk, like how they avoid left turns when possible

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

it's great fun when google maps thinks you're on a bicycle, try changing htat option while driving

i accidentally left map on pedestrian mode once while trying to drive out of a neighborhood of Lyon that is just a bunch of old, super narrow, sinuous one way streets on the side of a hill with extremely lovely visibility

maps kept trying (and sometimes succeeding) to make me take streets the wrong way at every intersection

would not recommend

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Broken Machine posted:

google maps will give you several options and then let you pick one that isn't the "fastest", but that's such a subjective analysis there's not really any good way to do it besides that

the danger when you start including every single thing is you wind up with a bloated monstrosity like microsoft word that includes ten billion things so it's hard to find the correct one you need if you don't already know where it is (iirc all of the most requested features for word for a long time, perhaps still, were things already in word)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

some super gross stuff here from google's top lawyer

https://medium.com/@jennifer.blakely/my-time-at-google-and-after-b0af688ec3ab
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ryanmac/alphabet-chief-legal-officer-calls-himself-far-from-perfect
https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/29/20837232/google-david-drummond-chief-legal-officer-cheating-wife-affair-policies

quote:

Once in the summer of 2014, David came over to visit our son and we got into an argument about his one-way terms for seeing him at my house at his convenience, especially when he had his own house(s) blocks away. He sat down at our kitchen table and, using my laptop, he pulled up a year-old article from the Daily Mail about Eric Schmidt’s philandering lifestyle. He then passed the computer over to me to read. I was so perplexed! I was well aware of Eric’s lifestyle, David was even more aware, but none of it was news, we’d talked about it for years. David explained to me how Eric’s “personal life” was, in essence, his privilege. The article was apparently a reminder to me of how things worked: David was (and is) a powerful executive. His “personal life” (which apparently didn’t include his son) was off limits and since I was no longer his “personal life” it was time for me to shut up, fall in line and stop bothering him with the nuisances or demands of raising a child.
reminder this is a company that has spent well into nine figures* trying to make a better place for women in their org

*not including all the severance money they keep paying to gross creeps to gently caress off forever

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/rlavitt/status/1167166111940407296

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

gently caress everything

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:nutshot:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
:sadpeanut:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:d2a:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

Saying employers violate the law when they misclassify employees as independent contractors would burden businesses by imposing liability when they get this difficult question wrong, the groups said

im sowwy im just a dumb babby business pwease dont punish me mr. big government man if i dont understand what an empwoyee is

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

Telling workers that they are contractors does not imply they’ll be fired for exercising their NLRA rights or that it would be futile for them to do so, it said.

you can't have rights if you're not an employee, so making people not employees means they don't have the right to not be made not an employee, so it doesn't imply they'll be fired for exercising their rights because they don't have any rights so if you're fired for it it's not because you exercised your rights

:thunk:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

you can't have rights if you're not an employee, so making people not employees means they don't have the right to not be made not an employee, so it doesn't imply they'll be fired for exercising their rights because they don't have any rights so if you're fired for it it's not because you exercised your rights

:thunk:

its a jurisdictional thing, nlrb explicitly only covers employees

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

and if suddenly nobody is an employee, then there's no reason for nlrb to exist!

I'll take my payment in bitcoin

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jesus christ

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I TRIED TO GLITCH THE SIMULATION AND ALL I GOT WAS A BOTTLE OF PEE

https://theoutline.com/post/7881/i-became-a-randonaut-to-try-to-glitch-the-simulation-and-all-i-got-was-a-bottle-of-pee

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

do you think that's air you're breathing?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Look forward to evilweasel carrying water for this by denying that no, this does not redefine employment in no way shape or form. Nope, it does not!

(it does)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

but if it's a simulation, why should the numbers be presumed truly random? aren't they just going where the simulator wants them to go?

this is 101 poo poo, cmon

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Krankenstyle posted:

but if it's a simulation, why should the numbers be presumed truly random? aren't they just going where the simulator wants them to go?

this is 101 poo poo, cmon

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

According to the The Fatum Project, there’s hard science behind all this. Building on research conducted by Princeton University’s Engineering Anomalies Research Lab into whether human thought could influence real-world events, they hope that Randonauts will be able to leave their “reality tunnels” and discover new contexts, appreciate daily life in fresh ways, or even venture into parallel iterations of their own realities.

lmao HARD SCIENCE like

quote:

PEAR's primary purpose was to engage in parapsychological exercises on topics such as psychokinesis (PK) and remote viewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ok this subreddit sounds like a goldmine actually:

quote:

On Reddit, Randonauts have reported finding things like an upside-down airplane; a llama, standing totally still; three identical black cats; a family of horses in a public park; and a bird that also refused to move.

holy poo poo reddit i went outside and there was a fuckin' bird! just like right there!!!