Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Kennel posted:

I made Red Alert 1's attack dogs to turn into cannon balls when they charged. And riflemen who shot attack dogs from their guns.

For me, I made Grenadiers have infinite range and their projectiles had nuclear explosions, so I'd spy plane the enemy base and pelt the poo poo out of the enemy base with like 20 grenade throwers :v: that was magical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I remember doing that in Chaos Gate, and finding out the hard way that some enemies have the same weapons as you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
What I liked to do in Tiberian Sun was to dial up the replication rate of Tiberium to eleven and then play a skirmish map practically like a zombie survival game - carefully carving out territory and reclaiming ground, fending off attacks by viscoids that the doofus AI troops would turn into by the dozen, etc.

It was surprisingly engaging.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Speaking of Command and Conquer, you can beat any missions in the original by simply building a sandbag wall around the enemy base. The AI will never attack it and just sit and make things until it's out of resources and do nothing else.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

My favorite thing in Red Alert was changing the V2 rocket attack to have infinite range then giving the dogs that attack so the instant they spawned they turned into a rocket and flew across the map to the nearest infantry to maul them
Tesla dogs were pretty fun too, they just turn into lightning as soon as they get close to something

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Booourns posted:

My favorite thing in Red Alert was changing the V2 rocket attack to have infinite range then giving the dogs that attack so the instant they spawned they turned into a rocket and flew across the map to the nearest infantry to maul them
Tesla dogs were pretty fun too, they just turn into lightning as soon as they get close to something

You know, I think now I want a game where completely insane things like that are just what the game is all about.

Defending your base with lightning dogs? Seems reasonable.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I'm in your base, zapping your doods.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

In the Soviet campaign for Red Alert 1 there is a mission called Liability Elimination. You are tasked with destroying a truck that contains research the Allies stole from you. However, in the beginning you are being attacked and you have to use your starting tanks to repel the invaders. Then you have an half hour of the usual resource gathering, base building and army expansion.

The truck you need need to destroy has some scripted events attached to it. It’ll be north, but then as you approach the truck it’ll speed away over a bridge, which then gets blown up so you can’t cross it, so now you’ll need to go through an Allied base to intercept it. If you look at a speed-run for this mission they exploit this scripted behavior. Tanks are send to the areas to trigger the movement of the truck, while a transport boat is send to where the it will end up so that infantry can destroy the truck before it gets away. Mission completed.

Back in the day the original release of the game must have had a bug for the mission. Because I remember starting the mission, sending my tanks to the north, finding the truck and being able to destroy it instantly. And that’s how what is supposed to be a half hour mission became a half minute mission. A video game magazine I read at the time printed a walkthrough for Red Alert and I was amazed at how many words they needed for that specific mission.

Edit: Apparently that speed-run I watched before this post wasn’t even close to the record holder. So here is that one. Buildings are sold for cash to build planes, the ore truck is moved to trigger the target, planes are send to the fog of war where the target will be. Easy-peasy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIZbMuEjFdM

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 09:21 on Aug 26, 2019

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Danaru posted:

For me, I made Grenadiers have infinite range and their projectiles had nuclear explosions, so I'd spy plane the enemy base and pelt the poo poo out of the enemy base with like 20 grenade throwers :v: that was magical

The best part of Red Alert was you didn't even need to mod the game to do this sort of thing. If you had Grenadiers attack the ground in front of them and you chose to attack a target on the other side of the map as soon as they started the windup of their throw, if you timed it just right, they would lob the next grenade wherever you pointed with pinpoint accuracy.

If you selected the max number of grenadiers and had their attack animations synced up, you could take out an enemy cruisers in just a few seconds. It was some serious bullshit and my friends could never figure out how their new mammoth tanks and cruisers were spontaneously combusting.

Red Alert also had a fun glitch that I only managed to see twice where the Mammoth Tanks (which had multiple weapons it would swap between to attack depending on the target) would get absolutely wangdangled somehow and their weapon would be randomized. My favorite time was the tank that would attack vehicles and buildings with infinite range nuclear missiles on a one second shot speed, and would attack infantry by shooting dogs at them that would immediately explode in a shower of entrails once they had killed their target.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RA had some pretty broken scripting. I ended up getting stuck at one mission where the game forgot to deliver your starting units.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Reminds me of the battlefield V bug where you spawn in a plane and the game occasionally forgets to include weapons on the plane.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's Battlefield, so you're likely to do more damage by crashing it into people anyway.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The first time I played the first RA1 Allied mission, Tanya forgot to actually leave the helicopter so I thought the game was just REALLY hard

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Cardiovorax posted:

What I liked to do in Tiberian Sun was to dial up the replication rate of Tiberium to eleven and then play a skirmish map practically like a zombie survival game - carefully carving out territory and reclaiming ground, fending off attacks by viscoids that the doofus AI troops would turn into by the dozen, etc.

It was surprisingly engaging.

Tiberian Sun modding was surprisingly robust. I had some massive mod that I slowly cobbled together with dozens of new units that eventually crashed and I couldn't be bothered to debug. It was fun to email to my friends and play until then, though, since some of the new units were complete dick moves. My favorite was an MLRS that shot extremely weak, long range missiles. They sucked at actually killing anything, were fairly expensive and were made of tissue paper, but would deform the terrain allowing you to make huge swaths of an opponent's base unusable.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You know, I think now I want a game where completely insane things like that are just what the game is all about.

Defending your base with lightning dogs? Seems reasonable.

I feel like Dominions 5 is your jam then sir. You can magically empower a toad to be an elemental master the likes of which the world has never seen and use him to mind-control entire provinces to the worship of your god and his toad prophet.

My favorite game glitch has always been the FF7 W-item glitch, because thirteen year old me absolutely loved amassing 99 megalixirs, even though I never used them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rules.ini gave kid me high expectations for easy game modding, which sadly have not been met in modern games.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Tunicate posted:

Rules.ini gave kid me high expectations for easy game modding, which sadly have not been met in modern games.

You speak to me on a personal level.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tunicate posted:

For real. I had so much fun screwing around with voxel editors and the ini in Tiberian Sun. I made it so instead of tossing off a single tire when destroyed, vehicles would basically shed all their parts to go bouncing/exploding away. Attack buggy? 4 tires and some bits. Tanks? Turret, gun barrel, road wheels. Tiberium harvester? A bunch of chunks of raw tiberium that blew the gently caress up and basically turned them into mobile cluster bombs.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
did the voxel editors come later? coulda sworn when I played tibsun back in the day there was neither a real map editor or a unit editor

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

stuffed crust punk posted:

did the voxel editors come later? coulda sworn when I played tibsun back in the day there was neither a real map editor or a unit editor

Probably, yeah. I don't remember the timeframe but I had to make games last.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

DF Thread Cross Post

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Yooper posted:

DF Thread Cross Post

I'll include your original message, since that pic has a lot of non-relevant info:

Yooper posted:

For some reason I keep getting clothed, sentient, mountain goats as scholars and such.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Kennel posted:

I'll include your original message, since that pic has a lot of non-relevant info:

Thanks! The mountain goat scholars and engineers continue, but the fort is on the verge of a tantrum collapse due to poor management bad luck.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Baaad luck is caused by goats.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Yooper posted:

DF Thread Cross Post

Enjoy your Narnia fort.
Post the goats inventory? did it have a waistcoat?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

terrenblade posted:

Enjoy your Narnia fort.
Post the goats inventory? did it have a waistcoat?

Unfortunately I didn't screenshot the inventory. If I see another one though I'll get him...

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm guessing that's dorf fortress?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
It's both Dwarf Fortress and a sneak peek at the upcoming spinoff Goat Fortress

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It's both Dwarf Fortress and a sneak peek at the upcoming spinoff Goat Fortress

Part of a twofer crossover with Goat Simulator. Dwarf Simulator is...not that much different from Dwarf Fortress, to be honest. It's just in realtime 3D.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
There was an initial glitch in Tiberian Dawn, where if you selected a GDI guard tower, or a NOD turret, and clicked the sell button, it would start the sell animation, and create two or three infantrymen. If you then gave the STOP or cancel command while the animation was playing, it would stop and you could repeat the process ad-infinitum for more free infantry.

Cue me and a buddy playing on lan, he was GDI, teching up to Orcas, when I used this glitch to create a massive infantry army. I then popped my speakers on, changed the music to march of doom https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dVUuEeFarxU

... and Zap Branniganned his base over his repeated cries of WTF!

..Just wave, after wave, of men!

Guigui has a new favorite as of 03:38 on Aug 30, 2019

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
In Command and Conquer 3 the Scrin had a defensive tower called a buzzer Hive. If you sold it, you got 3 buzzers. It turned out this was way cheaper than recruiting buzzers themselves and you could have swarms of these things out very quickly.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So, warframe has updated with a speedster frame, and hes pretty fun. However, there are a few other frames that can boost other peoples speed, and a decent number of mods to boost your speed too. Combining all of that together to be as fast as possible causes some...interesting camera effects.
https://i.redd.it/rmpibarwmij31.gif

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Zoig posted:

So, warframe has updated with a speedster frame, and hes pretty fun. However, there are a few other frames that can boost other peoples speed, and a decent number of mods to boost your speed too. Combining all of that together to be as fast as possible causes some...interesting camera effects.
https://i.redd.it/rmpibarwmij31.gif

Not quite plaid, but pretty fast still!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Tunicate posted:

Total Annihilation needed some weird hex editor/extractor thing to do any modding, but it had a great community willing to teach you everything you needed to know.

If you did a full install, the game's CD was only accessed at the start of each mission to determine which units were allowed on the next map, so, I rewrote every single mission file to be just blank in the [units] section, burned it to a CD and played the game using that.

This meant, if you had all the expansions and started a new game, you could build anything immediately.

Like a Big Bertha.

Or a Krogoth.

Which was just hilarious to young me.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 15:21 on Sep 3, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The guards in Skyrim aren't very particular about who they arrest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDu7ybZYSvs

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
gently caress, the punchline at the end is incredible

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Not a game, but I was trying to buy a bag of chips today and the vending machine politely asked me to add an additional $42000 today.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

rodbeard posted:

Not a game, but I was trying to buy a bag of chips today and the vending machine politely asked me to add an additional $42000 today.

*while inserting quarters* these better be the best goddamn chips I’ve ever had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
The FF4 64 Door Glitch is incredible.

To give a very simple explanation, FF4 uses a hidden floor counter to track where you are, with floor 0 being the world map, and going into doors stairs etc increases/decreases the number. Using some very particular spots where you can constantly increase that number you can overflow the counter and dump game data into the map. It lets you warp around, change your party, change your skills and more. It's bonkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyJ62l4pSdI