Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SweetBro posted:

There being an audience =/= something being popular on it's own merits. There's an audience for inserting glass rods into your urethra, which ironically enough is my go-to analogy of playing WoW classic in 2019, doesn't mean the prospect itself is interesting or mertiful for the majority of people. If you enjoy sounding/wow-classic, good for you. But WoW-classic is only popular BECAUSE of Blizz/Twitch, not because it's a good game. Mark my words that in less than a month or whenever the game release drought ends, everyone is going to forget about it and move onto the next thing. Servers will become ghost towns and merged together into a small handful.

Lmao what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Biowarfare posted:

emailed 18 minutes ago, eonwe, you know you want to

Haven & Wurm 2 : Electric Spookaloo

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Lmao what the gently caress

I'm saying you're free to enjoy whatever you want. But popularity WoW classic has doesn't correlate to any intrinsic value it has. Pointing to niche nostalgia bait and saying "look this is popular within its own community" doesn't counter my argument.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Classic Wurm when?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SweetBro posted:

I'm saying you're free to enjoy whatever you want. But popularity WoW classic has doesn't correlate to any intrinsic value it has. Pointing to niche nostalgia bait and saying "look this is popular within its own community" doesn't counter my argument.

This is all super bizarre. That's true of everything? Two and a half men is popular but sucks. But also, value is subjective, so it does make some people happy.

Acting like things that don't appeal to you inherently suck is super selfish. EVERY interest has someone who isn't into it.

Is wow something every single human wants? No. Neither is any videogame.

But according to your logic every book, film, sport, game, etc. Literally every work of art and every activity is a niche. So what? Its meaningless at that point.

You're making some weirdly global conclusions from "I don't like this thing other people do"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Pretty damning that video games are so bad now that one of the biggest events of the year is people flocking back to replay something from over ten years ago, more or less completely unmodified.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 28, 2019

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
incidentally I am following this thread because I am also waiting for a good sandbox mmo, and several years of kickstarter has failed me

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Like imagine a national movie theater chain announced "hey you know what, we just gonna show Gladiator in every theater for a month. Not a remake, not a new director's cut, were just gonna put that same exact poo poo back on the screen why not" and because movies suck so bad that ended up being one of the biggest blockbusters of 2019.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Pretty damning that video games are so bad now that one of the biggest events of the year is people flocking back to replay something from over ten years ago, more or less completely unmodified.

Damning of the state of the industry, absolutely

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

But also, value is subjective, so it does make some people happy.

You would be right if I didn't specifically use "intrinsic value" which by definition is not subjective. Game design is as much of a science as it is an art. Classic WoW is flooded with bad design decisions that are counter-intuitive to its own goals as a game that lessen the experience. However, because Classic WoW is fetishized so much by the community (fetishized in this context being used as the sociological term, not the sex-term) it maintains some degree of popularity and enjoyability in spite of it being a bad game by modern standards.

Also I'm not sure where "every media is niche" thing is coming from. I called Project 1999 niche because I literally have not a seen single mention of it until you mentioned it (and it's partly my job to know these things), and I'm fairly confident that if I looked up the stats it's userbase wouldn't even hit a fraction of what most mainstream MMOs have.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 28, 2019

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
mmos are bad still, in my opinion

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SweetBro posted:

You would be right if I didn't specifically use "intrinsic value" which by definition is not subjective. Game design is as much of a science as it is an art. Classic WoW is flooded with bad design decisions that are counter-intuitive to its own goals as a game that lessen the experience. However, because Classic WoW is fetishized so much by the community (fetishized in this context being used as the sociological term, not the sex-term) it maintains some degree of popularity and enjoyability in spite of it being a bad game by modern standards.

Yeah but real "intrinsic value" for art is almost entirely ineffable. It may exist but there isn't, and fundamentally cannot be a heuristic to determine it. We're all biased.

Again, what you just said applies to every game ever made on some degree.

That's true of halo and half-life too.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but real "intrinsic value" for art is almost entirely ineffable. It may exist but there isn't, and fundamentally cannot be a heuristic to determine it. We're all biased.

Just because we're biased doesn't mean it's ineffable. You brought up Two And A Half Men, earlier as a great example. Comedy is arguably more subject to bias than games, yet that show engineered a perfect comedic formula to capture as much of their lowest common denominator audience. Everything from the delivery tone, camera movement, laugh track timing, etc. There is an intrinsic value there, even if most people turn their nose up at it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SweetBro posted:

Just because we're biased doesn't mean it's ineffable. You brought up Two And A Half Men, earlier as a great example. Comedy is arguably more subject to bias than games, yet that show engineered a perfect comedic formula to capture as much of their lowest common denominator audience. Everything from the delivery tone, camera movement, laugh track timing, etc. There is an intrinsic value there, even if most people turn their nose up at it.

I think any kind of absolute value for it is ineffable.

Especially if you're going to turn around and say TwoAndAHalfMen has value. Because you're right, but that itself proves that everything has at least non-zero value. Can you accurately say it has 2.3 value or 4.5 value?

Does 2 1/2 have more or less value than The Room? I don't see how it can't be ineffable. There's just way way way too many factors to consider, human beings can't do that.

Maybe, maaaaybe like a Matrioshka brain that could simulate all life on earth could come up with a calculation for intrinsic value, but it'd require things we're definitely not currently capable of.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i just find it finally when people talk about how hard classic wow was.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
choosing to wait in line for an hour and a half to finish a newbie quest, when you can just beat up mobs, is a pretty hard choice to stick to.

but just think, decades from now you can reminisce to your grandchildren about easy mmos are these days.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Groovelord Neato posted:

i just find it finally when people talk about how hard classic wow was.

Yeah lol. It's really not a hard game by any stretch of the imagination, it's just a gigantic, gigantic time sink for any activity by design because they felt the best way to make money in MMOs was to dangle a carrot while wasting your time.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
No one who did all the classic WoW stuff would willingly play it today unless they were getting paid to.

I have a few friends who did the HWL grind and cleared all content in a timely manner. Every single one said "I'll go back for arena if they do wotlk" and "maybe I'd play TBC but I probably don't have the time".

I don't get all the nostalgia people hold for it, but despite being 15 or 16 when it came out I had already played diablo 2/dark age of camelot/anarchy online to their respective endgames. So I'm not in the "never touched WoW until wotlk or late tbc" crew, and I'm not in "the fumbled around blindly thinking everything was awesome" crew either. Pretty sure I'd rather play 2003-2010 era Ragnarok Online than classic WoW because at least pvp and pvm are fun in that game.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 29, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Khorne posted:

No one who did all the classic WoW stuff would willingly play it today unless they were getting paid to.

Baseless generalizations are bad, this is simply not true

"My friends who did all the classic wow stuff aren't interested"

Okay yeah sure

Are you really arguing that things that don't appeal to you are bad and can't possibly appeal to anybody? That's real rude.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

jokes posted:

Yeah lol. It's really not a hard game by any stretch of the imagination, it's just a gigantic, gigantic time sink for any activity by design because they felt the best way to make money in MMOs was to dangle a carrot while wasting your time.

Its not, but it can be obtuse and not everybody uses the word 'obtuse' so you have to read between the lines on what they mean.

It was just time consuming really, but if its your first game of that style you're gonna have to learn a lot the hard way.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
You guys need to stop being weirdos and come to terms with the fact that some people actually like these older, harsher, timesinkier mmos on their own merits.

This entire thread is predicated on the idea that for some reason, modern MMOs suck now, and implicitly didn’t always suck. That means something about the old ones was lost and it’s lazy to just put it all entirely on youth and nostalgia.

I played project 1999 for a couple hundred hours to the endgame last year. What I loved about it was that everything had weight to it, there was mystery, with certain mechanics and aspects of the game not being well understood or able to be googled to this day, there were harsh consequences to death and exploration, and leveling up/camping an item took a lot of time and effort. This all translates into poo poo feeling meaningful, as opposed to just drowning in risk free instant gratification to the point where everything feels bland and meaningless (90% of modern WoW’s leveling experience, and then max level dungeon/raid finder runs for example).

Modern game design in MMOs tends to appeal to the lowest common denominator by making the majority of their game stupidly easy, that’s just loving boring to a lot of people. If your answer is that those people could do mythic endgame raiding, the obvious response is that the entire journey to get there is loving mind numbing and that’s the issue.

Games like dark souls are hugely popular, modern so subsequently unable to be dismissed as purely having a nostalgic appeal, and show that some people just genuinely like some amount of masochism in games.

retpocileh fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 29, 2019

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

retpocileh posted:

You guys need to stop being weirdos and come to terms with the fact that some people actually like these older, harsher, timesinkier mmos on their own merits.

This entire thread is predicated on the idea that for some reason, modern MMOs suck now, and implicitly didn’t always suck. That means something about the old ones was lost and it’s lazy to just put it all entirely on youth and nostalgia.

I played project 1999 for a couple hundred hours to the endgame last year. What I loved about it was that everything had weight to it, there was mystery, with certain mechanics and aspects of the game not being well understood or able to be googled to this day, there were harsh consequences to death and exploration, and leveling up/camping an item took a lot of time and effort. This all translates into poo poo feeling meaningful, as opposed to just drowning in risk free instant gratification to the point where everything feels bland and meaningless (90% of modern WoW’s leveling experience, and then max level dungeon/raid finder runs for example).

Modern game design in MMOs tends to appeal to the lowest common denominator by making the majority of their game stupidly easy, that’s just loving boring to a lot of people. If your answer is that those people could do mythic endgame raiding, the obvious response is that the entire journey to get there is loving mind numbing and that’s the issue.

Games like dark souls are hugely popular, modern so subsequently unable to be dismissed as purely having a nostalgic appeal, and show that some people just genuinely like some amount of masochism in games.

I can get it.

Personally I have been in the “That’s how it was because there was no one else doing it/technology limitations at the time, nobody would ever want to go back to that” camp, but I realized that’s only because I don’t gel well with the harsh punishment gamestyle in an MMO context. Outside of that, in Dark Souls or other single player games, I’m down with that challenge.

For myself, I think I just dislike the idea that I’m to be “punished” for following my interests, whether that’s doing something risky, or even doing something non-productive-but-fun like rolling an alt. It’s mainly because I don’t want to fall behind my friends, something that’s just not an issue with a game like Dark Souls. If I wanna faf about with two shields and a dumb hat, I am free to do so and will fall behind exactly nobody. In an MMO, that would be time my friends or guild mates are likely using to advance their character, or if I decide to do some risky exploration and wind up losing a level. That can end up quite the gap!

I can’t say that I still appreciate the classic WoW model, at least not as much as I do the P1999 model. But yeah, there’s definitely an appeal. Not for me, but I cannot deny that it’s there.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 29, 2019

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
imo the most critical aspect of old MMOs is the also the one that cannot be reproduced: the mystery.

You can revert as many mechanics as you want. You can remove group finder and all that poo poo and to force social interaction. But you cannot bring back the mystery. You cannot get rid of the wikis, or the data mining, or the helper mods, or everyone having excellent and convenient voice communication.

That's the secret of the old MMOs, and it's all poo poo that isn't actually part of the game itself. It's like with Magic cards. You could never recreate the experience of the old days, with people trading cards back and forth and researching sets. Because it doesn't matter what you print on the cards, you aren't getting rid of the internet.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Chomp8645 posted:

imo the most critical aspect of old MMOs is the also the one that cannot be reproduced: the mystery.

You can revert as many mechanics as you want. You can remove group finder and all that poo poo and to force social interaction. But you cannot bring back the mystery. You cannot get rid of the wikis, or the data mining, or the helper mods, or everyone having excellent and convenient voice communication.

That's the secret of the old MMOs, and it's all poo poo that isn't actually part of the game itself. It's like with Magic cards. You could never recreate the experience of the old days, with people trading cards back and forth and researching sets. Because it doesn't matter what you print on the cards, you aren't getting rid of the internet.

I think you can actually do a decent bit with server-siding as much as possible - I know a few smaller games store all quest text and etc serverside so no mined translation files containing what you need, sending fake/garbage/random 'data' for data miners to discover and don't ship real updates until actual patch day or mix them in with a lot of crap fake quests/characters/items. It would at least make new content challenging for a day or two after a new content patch. Though this would also increase server load significantly, probably, and also cause a lot more work than necessary. And players would probably dislike insane amounts of RNG rolls to frustrate walkthroughs/guides

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Woah woah woah

Dark Souls is at least fun. I refuse to believe that anyone wants to play tab combat with hotkeys anymore

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Chomp8645 posted:

You can never bring back the near-total lack of knowledge that the early internet conferred, but there's still a lot that can be done to bring back mystery. Even though every Rust server runs the same game, the rules can be wildly different, and any two servers can have wildly different terrain. Even though the procedural generation in No Man's Sky has it's limits, you can get through a good number of hours never seeing the same alien twice.

The path to reintroducing mystery in MMOs relies on these two key pillars, procedural generation and player agency. They're super hard to do at all, and even harder to do well, so I don't expect it to happen anytime soon, but as the outside world becomes increasingly terrible, the market for a virtual world is only going to grow!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Its not, but it can be obtuse and not everybody uses the word 'obtuse' so you have to read between the lines on what they mean.

It was just time consuming really, but if its your first game of that style you're gonna have to learn a lot the hard way.

i meant lol if it wasn't your first mmo. wow on launch was a loving cakewalk compared to eq.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Woah woah woah

Dark Souls is at least fun. I refuse to believe that anyone wants to play tab combat with hotkeys anymore

my dream back in the mmo heyday was someone making one with actual combat. alas.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

my dream back in the mmo heyday was someone making one with actual combat. alas.

They did, it was called Tera.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I agree with the mystery being the biggest “secret” of old MMOs. The real draw was the sense of exploration and accomplishment. Hard, but not impossible, to get that back these days.

The next biggest thing was sharing that sense of exploration and accomplishment with friends. That’s even less likely to come back because I’m no longer a middle schooler with friends who want to talk about crap they did in MMOs at lunch.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i meant lol if it wasn't your first mmo. wow on launch was a loving cakewalk compared to eq.

I agree.

I also think Dark Souls got it the closest with the exploration and the mystery.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Ruggan posted:

I agree with the mystery being the biggest “secret” of old MMOs. The real draw was the sense of exploration and accomplishment. Hard, but not impossible, to get that back these days.

The next biggest thing was sharing that sense of exploration and accomplishment with friends. That’s even less likely to come back because I’m no longer a middle schooler with friends who want to talk about crap they did in MMOs at lunch.

He had come a long way to this kickstarter screen and his mmo dream must have seemed so close that he could hardly fail to fund it. He did not know that it was already behind him, somewhere back in that vast obscurity beyond the barrens, where the dark shadow of Norrath rolled on under the night.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

I remember this coming up before but I forgot what the answer was: is it not technically possible to encrypt all the client side data so that it can’t be mined?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

not gonna lie the time it takes to form groups for specific dungeons in Classic is starting to annoy me a lot

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol wow classic is still somehow the best mmo 15 years later

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

i am tim! posted:

I can get it.

Personally I have been in the “That’s how it was because there was no one else doing it/technology limitations at the time, nobody would ever want to go back to that” camp, but I realized that’s only because I don’t gel well with the harsh punishment gamestyle in an MMO context. Outside of that, in Dark Souls or other single player games, I’m down with that challenge.

For myself, I think I just dislike the idea that I’m to be “punished” for following my interests, whether that’s doing something risky, or even doing something non-productive-but-fun like rolling an alt. It’s mainly because I don’t want to fall behind my friends, something that’s just not an issue with a game like Dark Souls. If I wanna faf about with two shields and a dumb hat, I am free to do so and will fall behind exactly nobody. In an MMO, that would be time my friends or guild mates are likely using to advance their character, or if I decide to do some risky exploration and wind up losing a level. That can end up quite the gap!

I can’t say that I still appreciate the classic WoW model, at least not as much as I do the P1999 model. But yeah, there’s definitely an appeal. Not for me, but I cannot deny that it’s there.

Being punished is bad. But actions need to have consequence. That's why so many modern games feel meaningless.

Trying to design consequence without being too punishing is tricky to balance, but that's game design.

Like in Dark Souls, losing your souls feels awful, but anybody who has beaten a souls game or two can tell you that losing souls is actually no big deal. Some people play the game at SL1 for further challenge, which means you're drowning in souls you don't even need. But if the game didn't make you fear death, it wouldn't be as engaging. You have to put some skin in the game in order to actually get excited about the gambles. So the game takes your souls away if you die, and makes you fear dying and losing your souls, but it doesn't actually punish you that much when you think about it! Dying isn't actually that big of a deal in dark souls. You don't lose any gear or items or levels, all your "banked" souls are fine, only the loose "liquid" souls are risked. That's kind of a magic trick. A psychological one.

But if you death zerg your way through dark souls, it isn't nearly as engaging as if you tip-toe around every corner, fearing the next trap that may end with you dead and risking losing all your souls.

Modern videogames are like gambling in a casino with monopoly money, knowing that even if you win a million dollars, it doesn't change anything. That's even more boring than gambling itself is!

Chomp8645 posted:

You cannot get rid of the wikis, or the data mining, or the helper mods, or everyone having excellent and convenient voice communication.

You can get around data mining, actually

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 30, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Glenn Quebec posted:

I agree.

I also think Dark Souls got it the closest with the exploration and the mystery.

fromsoft has pretty much ruined video games for me due to being head and shoulders above everyone else at it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Groovelord Neato posted:

fromsoft has pretty much ruined video games for me due to being head and shoulders above everyone else at it.

Same. I think I'll play Dark Souls 3 again soon. Make an all Irithyll build. Ice Knight.

That sounds rad.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

frajaq posted:

not gonna lie the time it takes to form groups for specific dungeons in Classic is starting to annoy me a lot

I think that some things should have been kept. At least a party finder system if the dungeon queue is something that's off limits.

How can transmog not have been worth keeping?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Ruggan posted:

Oh, that's easy, you just do all the programming in Chinese, then google translate it to English and don't check for errors. That's how Age Of Wushu wound up with a health bar, an energy bar and an "obey the laws of the flying eagle stronghold" bar. Also the default error message was, "please follow the lady to the guestroom"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I'm having fun with classic wow. I forgot how much more rewarding it is. I wish they would have kept the new graphics. If they actually put time and effort into it they could have completely redone the world in glorious new textures and models. Also with their *huge* library of clothing/armor models they could have replaced every piece and had them all be unique.