Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Klansman 8 0.91%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 578 65.76%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 185 21.05%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 4 0.46%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 0 0%
Julian Castro, the Twin 3 0.34%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 3 0.34%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 9 1.02%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 2 0.23%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 4 0.46%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 19 2.16%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 19 2.16%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 8 0.91%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.11%
Just like in real life, nobody voted for Hickenlooper 2 0.23%
Jeffrey Epstein, the MCC Most Hated 9 1.02%
KKKillary KKKlinton 16 1.82%
Some other idiot not in this list 9 1.02%
Total: 879 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i cannot even begin to imagine what a pile of pudding joe biden's brain will be after 3 fuckin hours on stage lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Weren't the previous debates 3 hours? I remember them running (nominally anyway) from 5PM Pacific and ending around 8. Or does this mean 3 hours not including commercial breaks and inevitable late start?

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The first ones were 2 hours long. 9 to 11
The second set were 2.5 hours long from 8 to 10:30

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

goethe.cx posted:

I’m going to get alcohol poisoning

This is a better use of one's time than watching televised political debates.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

xerxus posted:

The first ones were 2 hours long. 9 to 11
The second set were 2.5 hours long from 8 to 10:30

Can't wait for 5 hour debates before Iowa

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
WTF? "the first person in this race to have proposed a wealth tax"

Didn't Sanders and Warren both already propose wealth taxes?

https://twitter.com/TomSteyer/status/1167136582320570369

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Yes but they weren't asking America to take The Steyer Challenge

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Charlz Guybon posted:

It's probably happening everywhere but at least on the Iowa/Illinois border Steyer is often running 2 ads per commercial break during the news. The dude is THIRSTY.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Between Warren and Bernie, who was the first to propose a wealth tax?

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Calibanibal posted:

Between Warren and Bernie, who was the first to propose a wealth tax?

AOC's 70% Top Rate Tax - Jan 7
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/1/4/18168431/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-70-percent

Warren's Wealth Tax - Jan 23
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/1/24/18196275/elizabeth-warren-wealth-tax

Bernie's Estate Tax - Jan 31
https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/bernie-sanders-to-propose-significant-wealth-tax-expansion

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AOC's isn't a wealth tax, it's an income tax. And Bernie's is an estate tax, which also isn't what is referred to by wealth tax here (though he did propose an actual wealth tax as a funding mechanism for MfA).

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
From a Reddit post... Trump's fundraising emails read like a 409 scam:

Original post: https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/...tm_medium=web2x

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Fools and Money...

quote:

With less than three weeks until the deadline to get into the fall presidential debates — which she deemed crucial to keeping her campaign alive — she was on track to fall well short. She had neither the 130,000 donors she needed nor the necessary support in the polls. What she did have was a stockpile of cash. So, in one Hail Mary heave, she unloaded $1.5 million on a two-week television buy in the doldrums of August to try to improve her numbers in Iowa and New Hampshire.

“The alternative to not going all in,” said Glen Caplin, a senior adviser to Ms. Gillibrand, “was not a viable alternative.”

The gamble would prove to be a final miscalculation. If the commercials caused any discernible Gillibrand bump, it would go undetected: No Iowa or New Hampshire polls that could have qualified her were even conducted after her ads aired. On Wednesday, with the deadline just hours away, Ms. Gillibrand dropped out.

kyberkatze
Jan 13, 2004

All this and the power of toast!

Earliest? I mean, here's a reference to Bernie's actual proposed wealth tax... Sept 6, 2014

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Share_Our_Wealth -1934

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lex_Agraria -133 bc

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Aug 30, 2019

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Article on Rolling Stone about WaPo giving Bernie 3 Pinocchios for citing a verified fact about bankruptcy from medical debt.

The part that amused me was towards the bottom, where the fact checker was trying to discredit the professor who did the study that Bernie references.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

I don't know if this one was the worst yet.

WaPo has slammed Sanders for saying "Millions of Americans are forced to work 2 or 3 jobs to survive". The argument was that 8 million people is not millions, part time jobs are not jobs, and 5% of Americans with jobs doing a second or third job is not a big percentage.

WaPo has slammed Sanders for saying "We have three people in this country owning more wealth than the bottom half of America". The argument was that 50% of Americans don't have any wealth at all, so the comparison is meaningless.

I poo poo you not.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Dante80 posted:

I don't know if this one was the worst yet.

WaPo has slammed Sanders for saying "Millions of Americans are forced to work 2 or 3 jobs to survive". The argument was that 8 million people is not millions, part time jobs are not jobs, and 5% of Americans with jobs doing a second or third job is not a big percentage.

WaPo has slammed Sanders for saying "We have three people in this country owning more wealth than the bottom half of America". The argument was that 50% of Americans don't have any wealth at all, so the comparison is meaningless.

I poo poo you not.

Fuuuuuuck, I remember that one.

He could get up on stage and say "My name is Bernie Sanders." and WaPo would be all "AKSHALOOLY, your first name is Bernard. Enjoy your 5 Pinocchios. :smuggo:"

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm not going to watch the debate. You guys watch it for me and tell me how good Bernie did.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I say the thread nominates one person to watch the debate and livepost. Watching their brain evaporate from post to post will be an instructive lesson on the importance of electoralism

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Failed Imagineer posted:

I say the thread nominates one person to watch the debate and livepost. Watching their brain evaporate from post to post will be an instructive lesson on the importance of electoralism

How nice of you to volunteer. Thank you for your service.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

F

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lightning Knight posted:

How nice of you to volunteer. Thank you for your service.

Honestly I would if I lived in America, but loving lol at the concept at getting up at 2am to watch 3 hours of this poo poo, even if it promises a few moments of Bernie owning centrist dipshits

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
3 hours hitting refresh on https://joe.30330

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
What’s the sound of electability?
https://twitter.com/shoe0nhead/status/1167370891849818112?s=20
This, apparently.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Office Pig posted:

This, apparently.

I have to agree with Joe there

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Nihilist Joe would be a welcome new twist to the primary.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Finally, Biden's appealing to all the Nietzsche-reading millennials

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

All 2 of them.

In other news..

https://twitter.com/traceyecorder/status/1167219614335455232

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Office Pig posted:

This, apparently.

What is he saying after, "look me over?" I can't make out the whole sentence.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

So, I've been arguing back and forth with my friend about Yang who REALLY fell into the Yanggang crowd after the Rogan podcast. He seems to think Yangs UBI wont be a poison kill to gut other welfare programs or thinks people wont need them once given $1000. Now hes posting some Scott Stanten video about why it totally wont cause inflation.

This is pretty frustrating because I dont think yang is the worst candidate but especially after his poo poo debate performance and the weird pandering to the alt-right crowd I really dont want to keep hearing about him. Are there any good articles about yang? I think getting through to a Yangganger might be impossible.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
He's the new Ron Paul so reason will not help you

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

OneTwentySix posted:

"Look me over. If you like what you see, help out. If not, vote for the other person."

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

What is your friends' ideology or record? Yang is a non logical choice so you have to attack this by applying personalized arguments.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

pretty much every nerd who doesn't know politics is big into yang and/or tulsi.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

My friend is a leftist former pro Bernie guy that buys into Yangs idea that UBI is a panacea for all our problems. He seems to think Yang is getting shafted by media outlets like Bernie in 2016. Normally he is pretty rational about things and was initially drawn in by Yangs ability to pull both left and right voters and sound reasonable. Now I get daily images of some CNN poll that had yang ranked lower that usually has a rational explanation. Hes for most progressive policies and doesnt seem to think yang will inhibit those. He believes Yang has the best shot at beating trump if given the nomination. He's pretty dug in.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bedlam posted:

My friend is a leftist former pro Bernie guy that buys into Yangs idea that UBI is a panacea for all our problems. He seems to think Yang is getting shafted by media outlets like Bernie in 2016. Normally he is pretty rational about things and was initially drawn in by Yangs ability to pull both left and right voters and sound reasonable. Now I get daily images of some CNN poll that had yang ranked lower that usually has a rational explanation. Hes for most progressive policies and doesnt seem to think yang will inhibit those. He believes Yang has the best shot at beating trump if given the nomination. He's pretty dug in.

Don't attack Yang directly if he's that dug in. There's no point, especially if you've already pointed out how Yang's proposed UBI is a poison pill that will destroy other public services.

Yang's *going* to fall out of the race eventually and solve this problem. The question is whether your boy also drops out of the race with Yang, or stays involved and votes for the eventual actual candidate.

My suggestion would be to take a "ok, yang's great, but did you watch the Bernie / Rogan interview too?" and get him primed to accept Bernie as a second choice.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

OneTwentySix posted:

"My names Joe Biden and I'm running for in this case running for president of the united states. Look me over if you like what you see help out otherwise vote for the other person."

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 30, 2019

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Bedlam posted:

Ah ok.

I'd tell him the following:

1. He is right, Yang is getting shafted by the media. And tell him (the truth) that this time around Bernie is getting shafted even more. Show him the three WaPo fact-checks for reference. Ask him why does he think that is happening. Again.

2. Tell him that the only way to enact progressive policies in your hellhole of a country is to cause a political revolution. That means getting a sincerely progressive guy into office that will keep pushing from the pulpit the people to change the chambers, the legislatures and the governorships. Yang cannot do that as effectively as Sanders (grassroots mobilization).

3. Show him this image.

And explain to him that UBI is the hot rage for center right ideologues in Europe currently. Ask him why does he think that is happening.

4. Ask him why a good chunk of the terminally online alt-right verse is supporting him as the meme candidate in this election cycle. Tell him that Yang is actually a cool guy, and with good policies. The problem is that his campaign is ironically co-opted.

5. Ask him why when he has more than 160 policy proposals on his website he almost exclusively talks in public about his UBI and automation. And not more important things like climate change, education or healthcare. If that doesn't make him a gimmick candidate, why is he so adamant on talking about it?

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Bedlam posted:

How does he feel about paid speaking engagements?

I think I’ve definitely figured out who’s Yang in this race for and it’s not us.