Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Ultimate Mango posted:

How is the M3P for tall people and car seats? I haven’t been able to get in one, but the S was a bit tight when I sat in one a few years ago.
I’m worried I will both want and need an X if I want a Tesla. They are nice but hellaciously expensive.

I'm 6'3" with two car seats in the back. Had an 8 year old, 6 year old, and 4 year old in the back with no problem. 4 year old behind me with the seat all the way back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ripoff posted:

Chevy does OTA updates? :stare: I had some weird poo poo happen the other day where I got an “E-Mail” button on the Infotainment system, but I thought it was a bug because it disappeared right after I shut the Volt off and unplugged my iPhone, and it never came back. Wonder if that was it.

No idea, but I also got an OTA update. I wasn't having any infotainment problems, so :shrug: if that's what it was.

Edit: Oh, didn't know it was only 19.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ultimate Mango posted:

How is the M3P for tall people and car seats? I haven’t been able to get in one, but the S was a bit tight when I sat in one a few years ago.
I’m worried I will both want and need an X if I want a Tesla. They are nice but hellaciously expensive.

I'm 6'5" and can drive or ride in a standard Model 3 fine. I drove my parents and two grandkids to the airport -- Dad in the front seat, Mom and two kids in carseats in the back. It was cramped in back but doable, and the front-seaters were fine.

I don't remember having any trouble whatsoever with the S either. How tall is tall?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm 6'5" and can drive or ride in a standard Model 3 fine. I drove my parents and two grandkids to the airport -- Dad in the front seat, Mom and two kids in carseats in the back. It was cramped in back but doable, and the front-seaters were fine.

I don't remember having any trouble whatsoever with the S either. How tall is tall?

I am your size. Have two kids in forward facing seats. I will find a way to test drive a 3, thanks!

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I rented a Model 3 via Turo today for shits n giggles. With my “Certified Manlet” stature at 5’8”, I actually found that the dash vents blew over my head, which leads me to believe that it was a car designed with people 6 feet tall in mind.

Pretty great car, and holy hell the 315-mile long-range variant is amazing compared to the i3 and Volt in our family. It’s surreal to drive 140 miles and not need to charge.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Ripoff posted:

I rented a Model 3 via Turo today for shits n giggles. With my “Certified Manlet” stature at 5’8”, I actually found that the dash vents blew over my head, which leads me to believe that it was a car designed with people 6 feet tall in mind.

Pretty great car, and holy hell the 315-mile long-range variant is amazing compared to the i3 and Volt in our family. It’s surreal to drive 140 miles and not need to charge.

Did you adjust them all the way down? I'm 5'10" and pretty sure they can go lower than me. They adjust electronically.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
my coworker is an honest 7ft and has 5 kids/wife, he fits them all into his model s and currently has a loaner model x that they all fit into also

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

my coworker is an honest 7ft and has 5 kids/wife, he fits them all into his model s and currently has a loaner model x that they all fit into also

Rear facing trunk jumpseats in the S? I don’t think they still make those...

The six seat X is pretty sweet.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
His S is a pre-AP car

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

A Strange Aeon posted:

And I guess a bigger question, in the next 3 to 5 years, do EVs seem like they will continue to increase in range and features?
An alternate take: in 5+ years your range will still be roughly what you started with but one thing that will be different about your car will be its charging infrastructure.

I think that a model’s ability to DC fast charge (and/or the max rate it can charge at) will be a bigger price component than it is now, as people struggle to make cheap used EVs work as full ICE replacements.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm already on my second Model 3, I've done 9k miles worth of road trips with my family of 4 since December with these cars. I'm 6'2", and my 3 year old front-facing daughter sits behind me, and I sometimes notice her kicking my seat but she hasn't complained.

Space inside the cabin is very good but the cargo space in the front and rear trunks really aren't that great. I wanted to get a roof rack but I've read a lot of complaints about the official one cracking the roof glass so I'm very hesitant to buy that thing.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I love evs and all but a family trip in anything but a minivan or full on 80s conversion van is just insanity.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

I love evs and all but a family trip in anything but a minivan or full on 80s conversion van is just insanity.
What about the Buzz whenever that comes out?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

This is a terrible, quite illegal video clip, I'm sorry, but it's the only way I thought I could convey a lovely EV moment. My girlfriend and I went on a weekend trip through the ripening orchards of Hardanger. What used to be a quite busy road is now almost deserted due to a new tunnel, so we could drive very slowly and just enjoy a lovely day in a lovely place. I've been through here a few times on my motorcycle, but in an almost silent Leaf with the windows open and the pedestrian sound switched off was a different, almost surreal experience. You can just float. Birdsong from the forest was loud compared the tire noise, even though you might get the opposite impression from the phone video. I can't imagine any better way of being a tourist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekXhkKCEU2Y

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

Did you adjust them all the way down? I'm 5'10" and pretty sure they can go lower than me. They adjust electronically.

Well poo poo, that would be the problem: I never checked to see if they could be adjusted electronically. 2 seconds on google and I learned all I had to do was drag on the animated “wind” on the AC screen and that would’ve been a much more comfortable ride home. I’m a goddamned idiot. :gonk:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

japtor posted:

What about the Buzz whenever that comes out?

I'm hyped for it apart from the fact it'll be £60k

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Elephanthead posted:

You're spoiled with that luxury but a lot of families are fine with traveling in a sedan.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm hyped for it apart from the fact it'll be £60k

It'll also be about as aerodynamic as a brick.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That seems steep, all the estimates we've gotten in the US are more like sub-$50K.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Yeah $60k for the Buzz sounds high, I’d expect it to be competitive with the Pacifica Hybrid.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Thanks for the eGolf tip. I see a lot of 2016's and 2017's coming off leases, with 25k miles or so, going for $11k to $13k in San Diego.

I don't know the exact range on these, but I saw 125miles 'real' range in some reviews.

So now the plan might be:

Keep the MB 240C with the salvage title for the once every month or so long trip. The insurance cost will be tiny, no collision (heck we were paying $800/year for two drivers on two cars).

Get an eGolf and make it my wife's main car.

When my Toy-Auto Echo finally dies (it's still running perfectly at 265k miles) I'll get the eGolf and we'll buy the next-gen EV's that appear after 2020.

This way there's no range issues and the net cost is low.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nfcknblvbl posted:

...but the cargo space in the front and rear trunks really aren't that great.

The frunk on the 3 is a jacket holder, and nearly useless, but what the hell are you moving that doesn’t fit in the trunk? I’ve moved all sorts of silly outsize stuff with the seats down.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Suburban Dad posted:

I think there's a reason for that. :v:

I don't get it... is that the most popular or something?

I liked it because it looks like a strawberry cake.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

SerCypher posted:

I don't get it... is that the most popular or something?

I liked it because it looks like a strawberry cake.

It was a joke since I don't know how popular that combo is (but this is an outside perspective). I don't like light colored interiors on anything though. :shrug:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
The Return Of Aptera?

https://newatlas.com/automotive/aptera-returns-promising-a-1-000-mile-hyper-aerodynamic-ev/

I used to see this all over the place in my town (Carlsbad) a decade ago. I wanted one badly.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Suburban Dad posted:

It was a joke since I don't know how popular that combo is (but this is an outside perspective). I don't like light colored interiors on anything though. :shrug:

Ah ok I was wondering if there was a white fake leather shortage or something.

I'm not a big fan of dark interiors as they get super hot where I live.

Although cloth and alcantera dark interiors are fine.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

The Return Of Aptera?

https://newatlas.com/automotive/aptera-returns-promising-a-1-000-mile-hyper-aerodynamic-ev/

I used to see this all over the place in my town (Carlsbad) a decade ago. I wanted one badly.

I like that they figured out the problem was that they didn't just lie out of their rear end like every other EV start-up.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Powershift posted:

I like that they figured out the problem was that they didn't just lie out of their rear end like every other EV start-up.

Their problem is that they wouldn't stop the design iteration. The first models, belt-driven RWD 'tadpole' trikes were simple and worked. Then they kept on changing the design. They also were depending on the Fed. tax credits, but they were classified as a motorcycle and even our local congressman couldn't get that solved.

It was very aerodynamic.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

Their problem is that they wouldn't stop the design iteration. The first models, belt-driven RWD 'tadpole' trikes were simple and worked. Then they kept on changing the design. They also were depending on the Fed. tax credits, but they were classified as a motorcycle and even our local congressman couldn't get that solved.

It was very aerodynamic.

yeah, but now it has a 1000 mile range and 3 second 0-60 like everybody else who isn't actually producing anything.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Apparently Tesla makes certain configs in batches, and any of the ones with white interiors supposedly take much longer since they're not as common.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Westy543 posted:

Apparently Tesla makes certain configs in batches, and any of the ones with white interiors supposedly take much longer since they're not as common.

It appears this way, the Tesla motors club forum has a lot of posts in the white interior waiting list thread as of late. I decided to keep the black interior out of concern that the white stuff reflects off the windows pretty bad.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

SerCypher posted:

Ah ok I was wondering if there was a white fake leather shortage or something.

I'm not a big fan of dark interiors as they get super hot where I live.

Although cloth and alcantera dark interiors are fine.

There’s one issue, though it might be cause the guy was working longer hours and sweating into the seat...

(In Norwegian but you can see the damage on this video )

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ilkhan posted:

If you are running fresh wires anyway run a 220/100A and do it right, even if no EVs are really gonna need to draw more than 50A anyway.

Mine draws 72A and I am still trying to figure out why it’s not the full 80!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Subjunctive posted:

Someone with an actual background in electrical can provide a better answer but the gist is a circuit will only continuously pull 80% of it's rated power. Some EVSEs will mention this in their specs, like it'll say "50a (40a actual)" or "40a (32a actual)"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Someone with an actual background in electrical can provide a better answer but the gist is a circuit will only continuously pull 80% of it's rated power. Some EVSEs will mention this in their specs, like it'll say "50a (40a actual)" or "40a (32a actual)"

It’s a 100A circuit, yeah. The EVSE should be able to pull 80 based on that from what the electrician said.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Subjunctive posted:

It’s a 100A circuit, yeah. The EVSE should be able to pull 80 based on that from what the electrician said.

Ohh wow I totally misread that, sorry

Ignore that I thought 72 is 80% of 80

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

What EV do you have? Older model S is the only one I know of that can pull that much power. Early model S equipped with dual chargers could do 80a. But they later switched to a single charger capable of 72a. if I remember correctly...

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

The circuit itself is not going to limit the current, unless you're actually tripping the breaker.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Subjunctive posted:

In the Tesla chargers there is a trim pot that you set to limit the current, is yours turned down?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

stevewm posted:

What EV do you have? Older model S is the only one I know of that can pull that much power. Early model S equipped with dual chargers could do 80a. But they later switched to a single charger capable of 72a. if I remember correctly...

2016 S, right before the HW2 release, and I’m pretty sure the Tesla person said it would draw 80, but I think you’re right. Though it occasionally sneaks up to 73 if I sit and watch it like a nerd!

BlackMK4 posted:

In the Tesla chargers there is a trim pot that you set to limit the current, is yours turned down?

Nope, it’s set to max. I think it’s just my car’s limit, per above.

I mean, if charges plenty fast for my needs but MUST MAXIMIZE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Yeah, you definitely have the single 72a charger then.