Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

MrBlandAverage posted:

I'm not sure how you could read any of the posts about Intrepid's cameras in here and think this is a good idea.

I think my camera is fine for the price. Just don't expect them to deliver on time or be able to communicate about it :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Went out with my Chamonix to a local black sand beach in a really remote prehistoric feeling place this morning but it was insanely windy, overcast and raining. I learned that it's really insanely hard to manage a large format camera and all of the stuff you need to use it on a beach in strong wind and with occasional drizzle. Have developed but not scanned the colour photos I took, hopefully I was able to capture the desolate mood of the place and conditions but given how overcast it was I probably just got some trash photos for idiots.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Blackhawk posted:

Went out with my Chamonix to a local black sand beach in a really remote prehistoric feeling place this morning but it was insanely windy, overcast and raining. I learned that it's really insanely hard to manage a large format camera and all of the stuff you need to use it on a beach in strong wind and with occasional drizzle.

You should probably add a hook to your tripod so you can hang your bag to weigh it down even more.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

alkanphel posted:

You should probably add a hook to your tripod so you can hang your bag to weigh it down even more.

Yeah it has one and I use it frequently but this time I had the legs splayed out really wide and the tripod very low to the ground for stability.

Of the three colour photos I got here's the best one. I really needed my GND for the sky which was ~4 stops lighter than the subject but given the wind and rain I didn't want to faff around with it.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Blackhawk posted:

I really needed my GND for the sky which was ~4 stops lighter than the subject but given the wind and rain I didn't want to faff around with it.

if you shoot portra you shouldn't really need a GND ever, just expose for the shadows

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

also you can just wait until the light isn't so lovely

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

ansel autisms posted:

also you can just wait until the light isn't so lovely

Lol yeah, I think a better photographer than I could have made a lot more out of it but the weather has been poo poo here for like 10 days in a row and I just had to get out and photograph a thing. Developing the FP4+ I also took that day right now, might make for a better image.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Anyone use a jobo 2520 tank and the 2509n reel with manual rotation on one of the roller bases for 4x5? Wondering how that compares to the sp-445 in regards to ease of use and consistency since the cost is comparable.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Also scored this lot of 15 holders for $100, 6 basically new fidelity elites loaded with tmax 100, a mix of good condition fidelity deluxe, lisco, riteways and 2 wooden ones.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Google Butt posted:

Anyone use a jobo 2520 tank and the 2509n reel with manual rotation on one of the roller bases for 4x5? Wondering how that compares to the sp-445 in regards to ease of use and consistency since the cost is comparable.

I've used the 2509n (two of them, in a larger tank) but not the SP-445. I like how little chemistry I had to use for how many sheets I could develop at once, but the motor controller on my CPP-2 is a little wonky and the minimum rotation speed is pretty high, so I was getting some surge marks on my negatives. It'll most likely be fine for you on a manual roller base as long as you don't get too aggressive with the rotation (and make sure you alternate directions) and make sure you use the flaps. It apparently also helps to load 4 sheets instead of 6. I ended up moving up to a 3010.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I used a manual roller base for a while to do 8x10 negatives in a paper tank, but I found it was significantly easier to get a Uniroller base (mine cost ~$25 shipped) and just "watch" it - the jobo tanks tend to fall to one side, so it needs a bump every minute or so, but moving the tank slightly every minute is significantly less work/focus than spinning it yourself, especially with a longer dev time.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Just got my 045-n2 and god drat it's way nicer than I was expecting, top notch materials and construction, for real.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Just got my 045-n2 and god drat it's way nicer than I was expecting, top notch materials and construction, for real.

Hell yeah, I guess to some extent you pay for it but it's so solid and nice to use I can imagine them holding value.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

All this talk about movements got me wanting to try it out so I've picked up a Horseman VH. I wanted something I could scan myself and it shoots 120 6x9 so I won't need to get a new scanner.. Really excited to take it out tomorrow and get acquainted.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Spent the weekend blacking out my second bedroom using pond liner (14 mil) and it's danged dark. I saw some comment that said to load in tent rather than a darkroom because there's less chance of fogging, is that actually a concern? I suppose it comes down to how well you blacked out your room, but just want to make sure I'm not missing something as it seems like loading in a tent would suck rear end compared to a room.

By the way, stearman press released a new version of the film holder for the sp-445 https://shop.stearmanpress.com/blogs/news/and-the-film-holder-saga-continues-rev-4

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 20, 2019

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Loading in a tent is super easy and you'll regret not doing it the first time you fog a bunch of sheets because you didn't perfectly tape up every pinhole

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/172903-REG/Harrison_1000_Pup_Film_Changing_Tent.html

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

ansel autisms posted:

Loading in a tent is super easy and you'll regret not doing it the first time you fog a bunch of sheets because you didn't perfectly tape up every pinhole

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/172903-REG/Harrison_1000_Pup_Film_Changing_Tent.html

Has Harrison figured out the problem with their lining yet, or are they still long-term consumables? I remember for a few years there I was hearing about how if you didn't store their tents open their insides turned into gluey messes over time.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I've had a knockoff harrison tent ("kangrinpoche") for over 6 years and it's doing just fine but I use it at a minimum monthly

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I bought a cheap one from ebay, seller stating that it had been stored incorrectly and smelled a 'little'.
In fact, it stank like something had died inside it. Rinsed it out in warm water and baking soda which took care of the smell and it was, if not as good as new, fully functional.
Only 4 sheets so far, but no signs of fogging.

Should get my SP-445 tomorrow and should have time in the weekend to test it out.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

How do you all feel about roll film backs? I like the idea for c41 since I can get color roll film developed for insanely cheap, but then again it'll just be a big medium format camera with movements. I suppose it would be a cheaper way to learn the camera.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 22, 2019

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
False economy.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Google Butt posted:

How do you all feel about roll film backs? I like the idea for c41 since I can get color roll film developed for insanely cheap, but then again it'll just be a big medium format camera with movements. I suppose it would be a cheaper way to learn the camera.

Wild EEPROM posted:

False economy.

I disagree, rollfilm backs can be good. I'm always going to shoot 4x5 if it makes sense, but there's some cases where I want movements and also don't need 4x5. The main practical issue is that a 135mm lens is normal-wide on 4x5 but pretty tight on even 6x7, so you're either getting a much shorter lens (I have a 65mm that just barely covers 4x5 and is used rarely for that purpose but more often gets used when I'm using my rollfilm back) or taking an entirely different kind of photo.

All that said, I think you should learn to use a 4x5 camera by shooting 4x5 film. There's nothing you'd get out of shooting color rollfilm in the camera that you couldn't get with much less effort by shooting black and white sheet film instead.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

MrBlandAverage posted:

I disagree, rollfilm backs can be good. I'm always going to shoot 4x5 if it makes sense, but there's some cases where I want movements and also don't need 4x5. The main practical issue is that a 135mm lens is normal-wide on 4x5 but pretty tight on even 6x7, so you're either getting a much shorter lens (I have a 65mm that just barely covers 4x5 and is used rarely for that purpose but more often gets used when I'm using my rollfilm back) or taking an entirely different kind of photo.
Wouldn’t a 90mm lens be the best solution here?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Got my Epson 4990 today and it works. One step at the time...

Then I went up to the mountains, got setup by a small lake I'd scouted a few weeks back and realized I'd forgotten my loupe!
Also ground glass on my Intrepid is really dark. Slight overcast, but I could barely see anything under the dark cloth.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Then I went up to the mountains, got setup by a small lake I'd scouted a few weeks back and realized I'd forgotten my loupe!

Consider chucking one of these foldy things into a side pocket on your camera bag and forgetting about it. They're terrible and un-fun next to a real loupe (especially next to the Macromax) but they'll get you where you need to go in a pinch.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

More Ektar 4x5. It's the middle of winter over here but I bet this beach would be fantastic in summer (to swim at, not photograph).

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Is there a good way to send out 4x5 negs to a lab for processing without the film box? I only have one box of film that I'm still working out of, but I'd like to send out a few shots now as a sample.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Ask if they'll just take your holders and return them

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

FP4+ with a 6-stop ND

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Blackhawk posted:

FP4+ with a 6-stop ND

Nice. How are you metering?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Nice. How are you metering?

Pentax Spotmeter V, and using a phone app to calculate exposure details including whatever filters I have in place.

Lmao love the painted tree on the side of the tank.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Tested the SP-445. Seems easy enough? I mean, there's something on it and I haven't developed anything in 30 years. (Fixer still stinks..did that bring back memories!).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Tested the SP-445. Seems easy enough? I mean, there's something on it and I haven't developed anything in 30 years. (Fixer still stinks..did that bring back memories!).

Take another picture of my rear end in a top hat and I'm going to freak out @ you

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Sick

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Eurgh, struggling with scanning. Strong blue cast that's hard to get rid of. (Use Vuescan).
Ektar 100

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Eurgh, struggling with scanning. Strong blue cast that's hard to get rid of. (Use Vuescan).
Ektar 100

This is a common problem I've heard from users of Vuescan and the simplest solution is not to use Vuescan.