Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Maybe I'm just an old man with dusty old bones but kids movies back in my day were scary and had real conflict in them so it wasn't that big of a jump to go from them to Alien.

Though I will say being a dumb kid I was more borderer watching Alien and Hellraiser than I was watching Aliens and Friday the 13th.

What I'm saying is make your kids watch Aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hell, they don’t even have to be your kids, any kids will do.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Went to my local comic shop and picked up Aliens Dead Orbit.
Unwittingly got the larger, 2x as expensive one but whatever the art was worth it.

I read through it in an evening. Really gave me aliens isolation vibes.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I was a kid and went into my parent's room where my mom was watching Aliens. I sat down to watch it and then Bishop got stabbed and ripped in half. I was a really anxious kid and had nightmares all the time. My mom was like "That's the good guy!" He did rescue Newt though so that made me buy it but it wasn't fun sitting down and immediately seeing that.

I saw just the beginning of Nightmare on Elm Street 3 when I was about 4 and didn't sleep with my light off until I was 13. I just had a nightmare a few hours ago where I was working my way through a really big HVAC type tunnel like in Aliens when they're escaping and some woman who looked like that picture from Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark started crawling up super fast by my feet and was moving with giant spider type legs and just got in my face and started screaming. I woke myself up by starting to scream.

I have a lot of nightmares.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Do you ever have "lowtax chasing me down an endless hallway to ban me, but I can't run in anything but slow-motion and every step is like you're on the moon" nightmares?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Do you ever have "lowtax chasing me down an endless hallway to ban me, but I can't run in anything but slow-motion and every step is like you're on the moon" nightmares?

He completed that nightmare by banning me. It was an accident though. I was responding to someone else and I didn't quote them so it made it look like I was being a dick.

But I do get that slow motion poo poo all the time. Although I'm always half in and out of sleep, I wake about 30 times a night, so I have some lucid dreaming stuff going on which helps. Sometimes I can summon a gun or something.

My last Aliens nightmare was a few months ago. The scariest part wasn't really fighting and running from them but me with just maybe 2 other people going down an elevator just waiting.... getting ready for what we knew was coming next.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 29, 2019

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I wish I actually had nightmares in the conventional sense. My dreams all turn into ludicrous poo poo and even when they're supposed 'anxiety dreams' my usual reaction is either "so what" (like the dream I had where the house was suddenly loaded with tarantulas, even down the toilet -- I'm not an arachnophobe so your guess is as good as mine as to what this dream was supposed to mean) or I rattle off and go into some rant (such as the one I posted a few pages back, about having to go and fight aliens with nothing but makeshift equipment (made out of broken toys and household items) which ended when I raged about someone microwaving boiled eggs).

SPEAKING OF WHICH:

Another "Aliens" dream, but barely given how nonsensical it all was. I was in a decrepit shithole of a building/base trying to recover some sort of (unnamed) videogame console, like an old prototype, when suddenly a xenomorph just turns up, doing xenomorph things like wanting to kill whatever it sees. I had to run down the most detail-free corridor (like a giant length of novelty guttering) all while keeping the thing at bay by throwing whatever loot I'd already found, such as a rare VHS misprint of "STAJ TREK". Got back to the ship, which looked more like a loving climbing frame from a primary school than a ship, and during the (clumsy) take-off to escape the xeno was crushed by various bits of climbing-frame hull. Pilot turned around to give me a thumbs-up with a PS2 box on her head as a helmet.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I was in a decrepit shithole of a building/base trying to recover some sort of (unnamed) videogame console, like an old prototype

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Hey I don't decide on these things! I just do what I'm assigned in these poo poo dreams!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Speaker posted:

wait where's a bootlicker?

Guys it's Judgment Day tomorrow. A friend is coming over at midnight to watch T2. She's never seen it before. :3

Does she know that Arnie's the good guy in this one?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Sunswipe posted:

Does she know that Arnie's the good guy in this one?

Sarah Connor didn't, so probably not.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It'd be great to watch that movie and not know. When it came out I believe the trailers gave it away.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Pennywise the Frown posted:

It'd be great to watch that movie and not know. When it came out I believe the trailers gave it away.
Sadly this is true. Barely 30 seconds into the thing and Don LaFontaine spoils the big twist!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
aliens is my favorite movie and i think about it all the time

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

aliens is my favorite movie and i think about it all the time

Holy poo poo dude you're in the right place!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i love how all the marines get themselves hyped up and then they get brutally wasted on first contact. and sigourney weaver kicks rear end. also i loved how when they figure out burke was gonna betray them they're just like "okay we fucken waste him" but then the aliens show up (and eat him)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

i love how all the marines get themselves hyped up and then they get brutally wasted on first contact. and sigourney weaver kicks rear end. also i loved how when they figure out burke was gonna betray them they're just like "okay we fucken waste him" but then the aliens show up (and eat him)

This was just in the director's cut but I love how badass they think they are (they are though) before getting their asses handed to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Xj24Gdxds

also in case you missed it and I love posting it, Michael Biehn (hicks) said hello to us all indirectly. I had to trick him to say Something Awful.

https://www.cameo.com/v/5d54db145c3189012460c125

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 29, 2019

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I also love how Aliens has a runtime of 2h28m (special edition/extended cut here, sorry folks!) but it just loving blazes by like it's only 90 minutes! I have this week off, so bollocks to common sense and being productive; I'm going to get day drunk and watch it right now.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I also love how Aliens has a runtime of 2h28m (special edition/extended cut here, sorry folks!) but it just loving blazes by like it's only 90 minutes! I have this week off, so bollocks to common sense and being productive; I'm going to get day drunk and watch it right now.

:hmmyes:

Now there's a tough trooper. Going out of his way to get drunk and watch some Marines kick some rear end. For like, a minute. Before they all die.

edit: drat I've seen it like 15 times this year but I might have to watch it again in the background today. We'll see. I'm watching Scream 4 right now. :chloe:

It never gets old. Ever.

Also day drunk.

edit 2: I also love that they're the USCM (United States Colonial Marines) which is basically the USMC. Of course they're all Marines but I'm partial to Marines.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 29, 2019

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

I used to talk about this as 'one of the greatest gently caress-ups in cinema' but if you watch the movie it's pretty clear who's evil and who's not, well before the 'turn' in the mall hallway shootout.

While both Arnie and the T1000's introductions are ambiguous at best, Arnie doesn't outright kill anyone in the bar and the T1000's scene is treated with ominous music and that creepy POV shot as he approaches the police officer he's about to kill.

The scene in the mental hospital where Arnie comes out of the elevator and Linda Hamilton scrambles away screaming still gives me chills. Actually, lots of stuff in that movie gives me chills.

EDIT: Actually the biggest mystery to me is where Arnie gets the flowerbox to put his shotgun in. I feel like that's not the first time that's been done in cinema, anyone know?

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 30, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mister Speaker posted:

EDIT: Actually the biggest mystery to me is where Arnie gets the flowerbox to put his shotgun in. I feel like that's not the first time that's been done in cinema, anyone know?

I always thought it was a reference to Guns n Roses.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It’s done in the Godfather.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Torquemada posted:

It’s done in the Godfather.

Thanks! I totally knew I've seen it somewhere else.

:O

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Can’t believe the last 17 posts aren’t people repeatedly agreeing with my extremely correct analogy of Alien and Aliens

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

lmao

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 30, 2019

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Mister Speaker posted:

At least where i live, the first thing you see when you enter a general hospital is like a mall lined with gift shops, several florists amongst them obviously.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the flowerbox thing seems like something john woo would do but i dunno.... very poetic

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Well they were featured in the movie and a lot of the times movies are built completely around whoever they hired to do the music beforehand.

And he pulled a gun out of a container of roses. Not long after they play some of their music.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I shudder to think how he would have hidden the gun if they went with their first choice for a musical tie-in - Cannibal Corpse's "I cum blood".

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Drunken Baker posted:

Cannibal Corpse's "I cum blood".

This is the best joke on music forums for when someone asks for "romantic ballads to learn"

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

This was unexpected:

:allears:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Wow, what game is that?

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Mister Speaker posted:

I used to talk about this as 'one of the greatest gently caress-ups in cinema' but if you watch the movie it's pretty clear who's evil and who's not, well before the 'turn' in the mall hallway shootout.

While both Arnie and the T1000's introductions are ambiguous at best, Arnie doesn't outright kill anyone in the bar and the T1000's scene is treated with ominous music and that creepy POV shot as he approaches the police officer he's about to kill.

As a dumb kid who hadn't seen the trailer when I watched T2, I just thought they were both evil and Connor was turbo-hosed when they trapped him in the hallway. I can't imagine anyone would completely misread it and mistake the T-1000 for the good guy though.

I really love that they cast Robert Patrick in the T-1000 role. It would have been so easy to cast someone like Van Damme or Stallone as a rival muscle man to punch it out with Arnie, but that would have given much more of an 80s B-movie feel. I love that they instead went for an ordinary, almost weedy-looking guy and made him intimidating in a completely different way. Even their music cues sell the differences, with Arnie's being thumping and powerful while the T-1000's is a more creeping menace.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Wow, what game is that?

Ion Fury, just released a few weeks ago.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Wow, what game is that?

Ion MaidenFury. It has ludicrous amounts of secret areas and many contain references to 80's/90's movies & videogames and whatnot, all that good poo poo. That room even has the rotating ventilator thingy on the ceiling, along with Shelly (the player character) making a quip about sharp sticks :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
This is also the terminator thread yeah?

https://i.imgur.com/eStFa7P.mp4

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
P.S. don't buy Ion Maiden

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Splicer posted:

I think we determined that anything featured in a .vs Aliens comic or video game belongs here. Abyss gets a pass for having Michael Biehn in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Splicer posted:

Yes, basically all of the cool movies. Aliens, Predator, Terminator. I'll even allow Starship Troopers although that's a bit different.