Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I just put one of each type of redacted fighter in my fleet of 15 herons and called it a day because I could easily solo 3 ordo fleets at once without lifting a finger and still hit 18 burn while traveling and have an affordable supply consumption.

It kind of put a damper on the combat experience to be able to brute force it like that in a way that's also efficient and scalable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Remnant fighters are generally the best because they use no pilots, and sparks in particular get much more effective the more of them you have, because they're shielded which means they spread out their damage absorbtion more the more you have, and their weapons also work better when you have enough of them to overload targets.

But generally all fighters do something in their role, it depends what you're fighting and what else you're fielding because each fighter generally has a particular role or synergy.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Yeah I wouldn't take broadswords on their own - especially when there are modded fighters about which can fit various niches better - but their screening ability is A+. Some fighters, like talons, have a hard time justifying their existence but can still be kind of useful early on as an incredibly cheap op cost interceptor when you don't have dedicated carriers.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Rynoto posted:

While you could do this it's better to listen to the dark side and embrace anarchy to solve all your needs. :devil:

You miss out on so much if you don't step on toes, raid planets, loot helpless traders, and otherwise play hell on the system.
Remember: They can't take revenge if all of their planets are at -30 stability and sitting on a year long repair cycle.

I love that even the Reparation's Society is suspicious of you.

Even the guys named after the idea that maybe you could fix your bad behavior are kind of like "Yeah, this guy is a tremendous piece of poo poo.".

Edit: Also, I preordered Starsetor back in the Starfarer days and now I can't download it from the third party site it used to be on. Looks like whatever business deal they had with the Starfarer dev is past expiration. What do I do to get an updated copy of this? Not sure who to email.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 26, 2019

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Even after all the nerfs I love the blackrock krait.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Archonex posted:

Even the guys named after the idea that maybe you could fix your bad behavior are kind of like "Yeah, this guy is a tremendous piece of poo poo.".

Edit: Also, I preordered Starsetor back in the Starfarer days and now I can't download it from the third party site it used to be on. Looks like whatever business deal they had with the Starfarer dev is past expiration. What do I do to get an updated copy of this? Not sure who to email.

Get your CD key from the original purchase email, and then the newest version from these buttons

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Archonex posted:

The Reparations Society is a front for mercenaries and I've been at war with them a few times when they've been backed to do it :ssh:

And yeah playing as The AssholeTM is a completely different experience that, imo, the game was really designed for.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 26, 2019

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Archonex posted:

Aside from the download link a goon just gave you on the Fractal Softworks website there are two links in the upper right area that are "Key Recovery" and "Contact Us," they're just below the obligatory twitter button. Those are email addresses that you can use for questions. The devs are pretty fast on getting back to people.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Rynoto posted:

Yeah I wouldn't take broadswords on their own - especially when there are modded fighters about which can fit various niches better - but their screening ability is A+. Some fighters, like talons, have a hard time justifying their existence but can still be kind of useful early on as an incredibly cheap op cost interceptor when you don't have dedicated carriers.

Talons are amazing efficient for their OP, and in the early phase of the game they're also incredibly effective. Against low armor targets, especially without shields, the combination of regnerating HE homing missiles and extreme DPS frag means they deal amazing damage. They only fall off once more PD and higher armor values hit the field.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
from watching old fleet tournaments where there is pressure for certain kinds of optimization: effective bombers were khopesh (shittons of annihilator rockets) and longbows (sabots) -- especially in a couple wings.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
longbows are really good, but I just prefer my assault ships to have the sabots. Carriers are for screen killing

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

Talons are amazing efficient for their OP, and in the early phase of the game they're also incredibly effective. Against low armor targets, especially without shields, the combination of regnerating HE homing missiles and extreme DPS frag means they deal amazing damage. They only fall off once more PD and higher armor values hit the field.

Pre-Nerf Talons were insane and silly. Alex chided me over a post I made about how effective they were against medium-sized targets and smaller, compared to Broadswords and other fighters and bombers, because it wasn't scientific enough for his tastes but it did result in Talons losing their unlimited missiles and 0 OP cost so I am really sorry about that. The Redacted fighters also got nerfed to be less completely broken compared to every other fighter in the game as well.

But yeah, I don't use them in my endgame fleets, but early game I will take them over Wasps or Mining Drones anyday. They're surprisingly dangerous once there is exposed hull, plus they're dirt cheap.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Draache and Schwargeist are all I need!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Brainbread posted:

Pre-Nerf Talons were insane and silly. Alex chided me over a post I made about how effective they were against medium-sized targets and smaller, compared to Broadswords and other fighters and bombers, because it wasn't scientific enough for his tastes but it did result in Talons losing their unlimited missiles and 0 OP cost so I am really sorry about that. The Redacted fighters also got nerfed to be less completely broken compared to every other fighter in the game as well.

But yeah, I don't use them in my endgame fleets, but early game I will take them over Wasps or Mining Drones anyday. They're surprisingly dangerous once there is exposed hull, plus they're dirt cheap.

I generally feel like I have a good handle on ships and weapons since I'm actively using them, but with fighters they are these things off doing their own stuff and I can never tell what's better or worse to stock in my carriers.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's why your flag needs to be a frigate/destroyer constantly on the front lines, let's you see what your wings are up to

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I love watching a wave of torpedos slam into a fluxed-out cruiser. Watching the initial wave of fighters clash with each other in big battles is also a trip.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I like Broadswords cause they can help pressure ships plus their flares make good screens for heavier ordnance

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tarezax posted:

I love watching a wave of torpedos slam into a fluxed-out cruiser. Watching the initial wave of fighters clash with each other in big battles is also a trip.

The key of course is to reserve your own fighters until the enemy wave breaks themselves on three dual flak equipped enforcers and gets totally chewed to poo poo.

Then you unleash the swarm. :black101:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Rynoto posted:

Broadswords have (full) Decoy Flare Launchers which are incredibly powerful as a screen for Daggers or other bombers. Their guns are also very effective at taking out interceptors.

Im pretty sure the flares have some stat that plays very well with the BRDY Imaginos phase nuke. Because I have pulled off some great nukes by just absorbing the flares of my own broadsword swarms.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

So I am finally making my own colony (modded with nexeralian or w/e) and found a system with two 125% worlds and a 150% gas. A completely new factions stole the other 125% world! Obviously I was not prepared well but what should I be doing now?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

So I am finally making my own colony (modded with nexeralian or w/e) and found a system with two 125% worlds and a 150% gas. A completely new factions stole the other 125% world! Obviously I was not prepared well but what should I be doing now?

Invade and take that which was stolen from you!

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Is there a way to disable the allied victory condition in Nexerelin? I've combed through all of the config files and the forums and not found anything so far. It's very annoying when a faction you're friendly with suddenly wins because the political situation randomly shifted into just the right place for them. I don't want to have to micromanage relations to avoid that happening.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

invade the poo poo out of them

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

OctaMurk posted:

Invade and take that which was stolen from you!

Yes do this. Also pay close attention as colonization fleets have a special sound/notification and you can kill the fleet as they travel for lots of juicy salvage.

timn posted:

Is there a way to disable the allied victory condition in Nexerelin? I've combed through all of the config files and the forums and not found anything so far. It's very annoying when a faction you're friendly with suddenly wins because the political situation randomly shifted into just the right place for them. I don't want to have to micromanage relations to avoid that happening.

Ask Histidine. If there isn't he'll probably add one.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 29, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

like if they're a new colony you need like 100 marines, tops. tactical bombard them and invade, and slay them all

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Wait, what is the allied victory condition in nexelerin? I’m playing my first run with it right now and figured I could just keep playing until I took over the sector or got bored

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

Wait, what is the allied victory condition in nexelerin? I’m playing my first run with it right now and figured I could just keep playing until I took over the sector or got bored

All alive factions are friendly or better with one faction.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
From the FAQ on the mod page:

quote:

How do I win the game?
You win when all the other factions are either friendly or better towards your own… or dead.
Other factions can also win in the same way; you get an ally victory if you're at least friendly with whoever wins.

In my case it was the Luddic Church who suddenly won by knocking out TriTrachyon and happening to be friendly with everyone else. In retrospect it's obvious because they're the only faction that starts on good terms with the Luddic Path, and by default Pirates don't count for allied victories (there's a setting for this but it only applies to Pirates). If I had foreseen the circumstances I wouldn't have boosted my rep with the LC by dumping a bunch of spare gamma and beta cores on them, but like I said it's not something I want to have to pay any attention to at all.

Rynoto posted:

Ask Histidine. If there isn't he'll probably add one.

Good idea, looks like he's pretty active in the thread so I'll go do that now.

timn fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 30, 2019

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Unrelated, I got a wild hair and made some uh, unlicensed reproduction flags/crests for a certain group of space mercenaries:

To add these or any other custom flags/crests to your game:

1. Save the flag and crest images and rename them to something useful like "diamond_frogs_flag.png" and "diamond_frogs_crest.png"

2. Put the images in C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\graphics\factions\custom\

3. Open up your player.faction file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\data\world\factions\ with a text editor and add the following to it in the same place the other flag image files are defined:

code:
{
	"logo":"graphics/factions/custom/diamond_frogs_flag.png",
	"crest":"graphics/factions/custom/diamond_frogs_crest.png"
},
And voila:

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

timn posted:

Unrelated, I got a wild hair and made some uh, unlicensed reproduction flags/crests for a certain group of space mercenaries:

To add these or any other custom flags/crests to your game:

1. Save the flag and crest images and rename them to something useful like "diamond_frogs_flag.png" and "diamond_frogs_crest.png"

2. Put the images in C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\graphics\factions\custom\

3. Open up your player.faction file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\data\world\factions\ with a text editor and add the following to it in the same place the other flag image files are defined:

code:
{
	"logo":"graphics/factions/custom/diamond_frogs_flag.png",
	"crest":"graphics/factions/custom/diamond_frogs_crest.png"
},
And voila:

Make it into a minimod instead of just adding it to starsector-core, you nerd!

Here's a dumb one with WH40k flags that I made - you can steal this framework, do exactly what you said but in the mod folder, and edit the mod_info.json to say whatever you want, and then you'll be able to share it as a plug-and-play minimod. :)

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Drone_Fragger posted:

Yeah you've not had a fun game till a expanded missile racks kite unloads 4 reapers into your onslaughts rear end because you didn't bother killing it becasue "it's just a kite, what's it gonna do".

I've been playing for years and this is still how I die every game.
The other one is when I get greedy in a large battle, flux out my ship and then see a dozen frigates just start unloading harpoons into my side. This one catches me out the most; the computer really knows how to exploit a moment of weakness.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

The Good Professor posted:

Make it into a minimod instead of just adding it to starsector-core, you nerd!

Ugh, why would I do things the right way when I can just do it the hard way instead? Thanks for the tip, I'll start using this framework for my weird modding impulses in the future.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ErKeL posted:

I've been playing for years and this is still how I die every game.
The other one is when I get greedy in a large battle, flux out my ship and then see a dozen frigates just start unloading harpoons into my side. This one catches me out the most; the computer really knows how to exploit a moment of weakness.

Oh yes the entire loving enemy fleet will spunk out their whole missile loads if you flux out a capital ship lol. They are real good at responding to stimuli at the same time :v:

The other great one is when you're pressuring down a frigate or light destroyer and the little prick just goes "welp I'm about to die better just fire ALL MY MISSILES LOL" and you blow it up and then eat a barrage of crap right into your flank.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i'm not a fan of how the AI knows how long your ships will flux out for, because there's no way a person could do the requisite maths on the fly for that, but otherwise it's top notch

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

So, I'm on the far side of the core, ages away from my colony, when I get a pop up that a pirate base has set up shop and started causing havoc.

Naturally, I drop everything to go and wipe them from existence.

Luckily, I had the core between me and my colony, so I could stop off and resupply.

Now, I could have parked at a Persean League planet, but they get huffy if I leave my transponder off and I'll be damned if I pay tariffs to resupply.

There was a Tri-Tachyon base on the edge of my range.

How close to the edge?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i'm not a fan of how the AI knows how long your ships will flux out for, because there's no way a person could do the requisite maths on the fly for that, but otherwise it's top notch

You mean that it's not 'Long enough for me to murder them' for you?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i mean more how they float around at the very end of their missile range and are able to fill you with harpoons just before your shields come up again

timn
Mar 16, 2010
In case anyone else was interested, response from Histidine about disabling allied victories in nexerelin:

quote:

There isn't such an option currently, although I may add one soon.
As a workaround: you can make the game state no longer meet the victory conditions, then use the ResetVictory console command to "undo" the allied victory so to speak

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.
So, who watched the tournament?

Because I'm not sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I need to watch the vids.