Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ballz posted:

I still can’t wrap my head around that d-pad location.

It's really quite comfortable for most N64 games out there, since so many ended up relegating d-pad to a lovely camera movement system or using it basically as if it was 4 regular buttons as a hotbar sorta thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

ItBreathes posted:

Rule #1 of the somethingawful.com forums:

Don't post pictures of your house. No matter what thread you're in, everyone is suddenly an expert on interior or exterior design, as the case may be.

Like, not even joking, it's incredible, they're like jackals.

We all actually signed up for the forums because we're secretly seeking the next Groverhaus.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Illuminado posted:

That said, the RetroBit Hori Clones are absolutely fantastic. The stick is just so much better than original N64 controller.

Oh huh. I had no idea these were a thing. I would like to try one out.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Phone posted:

games that used the n64 dpad:
- mischief makers
-
Didn't Kirby 64 use it as well

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Speaking of controller chat, 8bitdo has a bluetooth conversion kit for the Sega Saturn controller now:
https://twitter.com/8BitDo/status/1166727136729796614

Hopefully this means a BT receiver for the Saturn is also on the way.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Phone posted:

- mischief makers
-

WWF: No Mercy

Pokemon Stadium

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ItBreathes posted:

Rule #1 of the somethingawful.com forums:

Don't post pictures of your house. No matter what thread you're in, everyone is suddenly an expert on interior or exterior design, as the case may be.

Like, not even joking, it's incredible, they're like jackals.

Well, that's obviously a dare.

I started unpacking consoles, realized I was going to have to get a bunch of new furniture to put things on, and then put them in those bins until this weekend when I can hopefully get places to put everything.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

My cousin called me up last week from a church sale. We're always looking out for certain things for each other at thrift stores and garage sales. He said "I don't know if you would want this but they have a 'Goldstar" game console for $2"

So now I'm the proud(?) owner of a 3DO. He found three games there as well. The discs look perfect but only one of the three would play. Hopefully that's just a disc issue and not the console. I haven't tried any burned discs yet. I'm actually pretty excited to play some bad FMV games.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Check out Zhadnost if you never have, I tried it with some HG101 friends and, other than one of the five player characters being trans in a 90s game and thus handled with a stunning lack of tact that's extremely uncomfortable to revisit in 2019, it's a surprisingly fun time. (It's a four-player game anyway, so you can just... not pick her, I guess?)

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

Check out Zhadnost if you never have, I tried it with some HG101 friends and, other than one of the five player characters being trans in a 90s game and thus handled with a stunning lack of tact that's extremely uncomfortable to revisit in 2019, it's a surprisingly fun time. (It's a four-player game anyway, so you can just... not pick her, I guess?)

Is Zhadnost playable with one controller (pass around)? I'll probably get a second pad eventually, but I'd need a good reason first.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Was someone in here selling an Ultra64 HDMI kit? I'm interested in picking one up and now have some scratch.

Ballz posted:

I still can’t wrap my head around that d-pad location.

It's a clone of Hori's controller that regularly sells for ~$60 USD today.

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 30, 2019

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just got an email that the new Dreamcast controllers from Retrofighters have been postponed until at least January. :negative:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Illuminado posted:

Was someone in here selling an Ultra64 HDMI kit? I'm interested in picking one up and now have some scratch.

It's a clone of Hori's controller that regularly sells for ~$60 USD today.

They were going for $100+ as recently as a few months ago. I'm kind of surprised that they've crashed in price.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
If you have a bunch of new production of that same product available it would make sense. In my mind anyway.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Max Coveri posted:

Aladdin's SNES version won't be included in the compilation lmao

All the games on that collection were from Virgin Interactive whereas SNES Aladdin was developed by Capcom so Disney probably figured they'd save a bit of money (not have to cut a penny per sale or whatever) by not including it.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Phone posted:

- mischief makers
-

Tetrisphere, I think?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I feel like a few games used it for cheat codes or wierd stuff. Didn't Blast Corps have something?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
AKI wrestling games use the D-pad for movement, which is very important.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Echophonic posted:

I feel like a few games used it for cheat codes or wierd stuff. Didn't Blast Corps have something?
Nothing special but you could use it to steer the vehicles. I prefer D-pad for the backlash.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Turbinosamente posted:

Tetrisphere, I think?

There was some Ms. Pac-Man 3D game and I think Dr. Mario 64 were both able to use them. Though the stick worked too if I remember.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

e: Wrong thread uh, those controllers are pretty cool and I'm considering grabbing one of them.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

extremely cursed chudcade

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Null of Undefined posted:

I highly recommend the brawler64. It’s a great controller. I think they’re having a sale right now too.

Yeah me too. Its a PS4/Xbox shape controller with N64 buttons that works with an N64.

What else do you want?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Phone posted:

- mischief makers
-

N64 games better that Mischief Makers
-

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
The Horipad for N64 is seriously fantastic. Nintendo obviously copied the joystick for the GCN, which was a great decision on their part. My roommate has 2 paired with his Ultra-HDMI Everdrive setup and there is really no comparison with a regular 64 controller... unless you need the D-Pad a bunch.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Shadows of the Empire used the d-pad! WAMPA STOMPA

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

N64 games better that Mischief Makers
-

-Sin and Punishment
(which also uses the D-pad for its best control scheme)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
that kickstarter n64 pad is pretty good, tested one out in person last month and it felt great and it was only 30 quid, looks and feels much better than the horipad.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Went into town on a feeling today and was rewarded with a PS1 multitap. I ended up getting it for free because the store's till system crashed and the manager said to just charge me for the copy of Cool Boarders I also found which had already been scanned and give me the multitap for free (it was £5 otherwise).
https://twitter.com/CardCaptorKaren/status/1167398522574049281

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

njsykora posted:

Went into town on a feeling today and was rewarded with a PS1 multitap. I ended up getting it for free because the store's till system crashed and the manager said to just charge me for the copy of Cool Boarders I also found which had already been scanned and give me the multitap for free (it was £5 otherwise).

Huh, I didn't know it had four memory card ports too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I got one of those purely for CTR and it was worth it.

I'm not actually sure if any games ever used the extra memcard ports though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Huh, I didn't know it had four memory card ports too.
Neither did I until I looked it up, you can't use the memory card ports on the console with it connected either due to a small lip on the connector which stops it going in when a memory card is plugged in.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I got one of those purely for CTR and it was worth it.

I'm not actually sure if any games ever used the extra memcard ports though.
I doubt it, the memory card ports on this one are immensely tight for P3+4 so I don't think they were ever used before. I do need to get more multitap games though, the only one I currently have is Actua Soccer 2.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Devil Dice is a must-have, with or without the multitap.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Well, that's obviously a dare.

I started unpacking consoles, realized I was going to have to get a bunch of new furniture to put things on, and then put them in those bins until this weekend when I can hopefully get places to put everything.

Far cleaner than my place now. And good idea to counter-balance the CRT with the Far Side Collection.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Vikar Jerome posted:

that kickstarter n64 pad is pretty good, tested one out in person last month and it felt great and it was only 30 quid, looks and feels much better than the horipad.

Yeah, I have the first run and one of the newer, tweaked color models. I like it quite a bit.

And no one has mentioned the second most important d-pad game: The New Tetris

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

njsykora posted:

You can play Top Shop with out having to pass the controller now! I keep forgetting to test if a North American multitap on a chipped console will work with a Japanese game. I suspect the answer is yes, because I'd like to play Buttsubishi with friends. I think Buttsubishi got a PAL/Euro release so if you're into Bomberman style Pengo....

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Top Shop is a game of murder. More dangerous than Mario Party.

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

We dropped turkeys out of planes just to fill up the sky.

And we know damn well that they can't fly.

Caitlin posted:

Top Shop is a game of murder. More dangerous than Mario Party.

Dokapon Kingdom is *that* game in my circle.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

njsykora posted:

Not bad, but I think I've got the retrogame pricing win of the day.

Intelligent Qube: $1.

Also a shitton of other stuff since I went to an overpriced retrogame store's Labor Day sale and had the money to indulge myself for the first time in a long time and I basically picked up anything that was below eBay price that I had been wanting to get for a while, but finding that in the clearance bargain bin made me do a double take. I passed on the complete set of Dreamcast Magazine demo disks, however.

I did not get furniture to put my consoles on, though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008