Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

That's no reason he can't ascend to godhood tho. The Dark One used to be a goblin.

His followers slaughtered a million humans in his name to manage that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

MikeJF posted:

Imagine the egg on his face when Banjo ascends with just a handful of followers for who it's more of a joke than anything else.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Facebook Aunt posted:

That's no reason he can't ascend to godhood tho. The Dark One used to be a goblin.

wow...

mods are you seeing this?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

MikeJF posted:

Blood for the blood god.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Apologies to anyone who already predicted this but I expect there will be a major revision of the bet with Hel before this is over. I have a feeling Rich as writer / Loki as character won't just write the character off to die for lack of balanced god food even if the world continues.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MikeJF posted:

yeah but those humans have an afterlife

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Banjo will be the next ruler of Azure City after Shojo and Hinjo. Hence the name.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Schwarzwald posted:

yeah but those humans have an afterlife

The coolest thing I think we've seen actually is it seems like Goblins are preparing for a sort of Ragnarok End Times/Pandemonium Final Fight / Endless Battle while the petitioners of other gods just fade into spiritrons.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ephemeron posted:

Banjo will be the next ruler of Azure City after Shojo and Hinjo. Hence the name.

Are you a kobold?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's Gobbotopia now.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ephemeron posted:

He's even blue.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Did the gods bother to furnish goblins with souls when they were made to be a trash mob for grinding, or was it the power of the Dark One that gave them an afterlife?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Did the gods bother to furnish goblins with souls when they were made to be a trash mob for grinding, or was it the power of the Dark One that gave them an afterlife?

If all gods require souls, and the Dark One is a legit god, it follows that goblins have souls.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
P-Zombies!!! :argh:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SuperKlaus posted:

Apologies to anyone who already predicted this but I expect there will be a major revision of the bet with Hel before this is over. I have a feeling Rich as writer / Loki as character won't just write the character off to die for lack of balanced god food even if the world continues.

Someone suggested a while back that Hel would be the most likely candidate to get et by the Snarl, and the last couple strips very definitely put Hel dying on the table.

SlothfulCobra posted:

OotS seems to operate within the Great Wheel cosmology, so goblins have always had an afterlife. It's just that all the afterlives on the side of the Wheel goblins usually occupy don't have a habit of letting petitioners chill and hang out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah the difference between being evil, and being evil, but worshipping a god are massive.

Normally if you die, you will go to whatever plane matches you best. If you worship a particular god or group of them, then they will claim your soul on death, and take you to whatever afterlife they created for their followers. Unless of course they don't want the soul, usually in the case of said soul not following their teachings.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I can see the arguments for Hel dying or not dying. Hel not dying is possible because Loki would VERY much not want his daughter to die.

The "Hel will die" argument I think is possible from a narrative and thematic standpoint where Hel, following themes relevant from past characters and I think for future events, is the thematic idea of a character getting got because they decided to double down instead of accepting things. Preferring the gratification of revenge against your own future. Of refusing to backdown because of too much sunk costs.

Hel might feel like her anger and the extent she's been wronged i.e Shylock, precludes her from backing down; and riding her plan, her efforts, to the bitter end; and then suffering for it.

But it might not happen.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So, are there any benefits from not worshipping a god in D&D? Because without the whole 'Religious Uncertainty' thing, it seems like a no brainer wanting to have Someone have your back.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Unlucky7 posted:

So, are there any benefits from not worshipping a god in D&D? Because without the whole 'Religious Uncertainty' thing, it seems like a no brainer wanting to have Someone have your back.

No. Your soul after death gets turned into a brick and used in the Wall of the Faithless where you become nothingness after a tortured existence as a sentient brick where if you're unlucky a demon steals you from the wall.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Raenir Salazar posted:

No. Your soul after death gets turned into a brick and used in the Wall of the Faithless where you become nothingness after a tortured existence as a sentient brick where if you're unlucky a demon steals you from the wall.

Now that makes the whole D&D "Satanic Panic" thing feel kind of ironic.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Raenir Salazar posted:

I thought this was Wraith: The Oblivion chat for a moment.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Raenir Salazar posted:

That's only in one setting tbf. Most settings don't have anything equivalent to the Wall of the Faithless, and we know for a fact the OotS cosmology doesn't.

The big thing to remember with god stuff is that a lot of gods are capricious and can gently caress you over forever, so if you aren't actually religious staying unaligned can be a pretty good deal for most alignments. Like almost all the outer planes that aren't evil are pretty decent places for mortals to end up with for their afterlife.

The evil ones are real poo poo though which should be an incentive for every evil character to go hard on religon or immortality.

Zore fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 30, 2019

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zore posted:

That's only in one setting tbf. Most settings don't have anything equivalent to the Wall of the Faithless, and we know for a fact the OoT cosmology doesn't.

The big thing to remember with god stuff is that a lot of gods are capricious and can gently caress you over forever, so if you aren't actually religious staying unaligned can be a pretty good deal for most alignments. Like almost all the outer planes that aren't evil are pretty decent places for mortals to end up with for their afterlife.

The evil ones are real poo poo though which should be an incentive for every evil character to go hard on religon or immortality.

I wonder if people from species that don't have a dominant alignment even know their alignment. Like to most evil people even know they are evil? Surely some think they are on the side of good or at least pragmatism while they stroll into the deep end of the alignment pool.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Facebook Aunt posted:

I wonder if people from species that don't have a dominant alignment even know their alignment. Like to most evil people even know they are evil? Surely some think they are on the side of good or at least pragmatism while they stroll into the deep end of the alignment pool.

Oh no doubt this happens a ton. Like it's not too uncommon for more zealous followers of good or neutral gods to end up being evil jackasses because of their belief that they are good and can do no wrong. Those sorts are not claimed by their gods upon death and go instead to whatever place is appropriate for them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Facebook Aunt posted:

Thats probably a really setting dependent thing. If there are a lot of Paladins hanging everywhere around its trivial to find out if you're evil or not. If there are 100 total Paladins in the world and no one over 6th level except for like 5 dudes then things are a lot murkier.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Unlucky7 posted:

It depends on which campaign setting. In a lot of them it's not that big a deal, but in Forgotten Realms in particular (and it's related settings) it's rather unwise.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Unlucky7 posted:

From a player's standpoint, if you're not a cleric it really doesn't matter.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

One slight disagreement with the evil afterlives sucking:
There is an... adjustment period at the start, but if you can hack it, you can become a mighty devil and literally Reign in Hell. And don't worry, Mr. Farmer-Who-Secretly-Moves-The-Boundary-Fence-At-Night-To-Steal-His-Neighbor's-Land, I've seen what you're made of, and I'm impressed. It takes guts, wits, and force of personality to climb your way up the Infernal Hierarchy, and from what I've seen, you could be a pit fiend within a decade.

Just sign on the dotted line.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

As mentioned, this one is only in Forgotten Realms. In the generic Great Wheel cosmology, you just go wherever your alignment dictates regardless of if you're religious or not. Like, Lawful Good atheists still wind up on Mount Celestia, Lawful Neutral atheists end up in Mechanus, etc.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Incidentally, it's so funny that Mechanus is an afterlife plane, because the modrons are so deeply disinterested in anything outside their weird insular system of laws. I imagine if you wind up there, you're probably so painstakingly lawful that you look at all these little robots walking in lines and sigh contentedly like, "yes, this makes sense to me".

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Forgotten Realms cosmology changes with each edition (usually justified by some major cosmic cataclysm) and I'm pretty sure the god who built and maintained the wall of the faithless has been killed, and his successor has been killed, and his successor's successor has been killed, etc. so I wouldn't bet on the whole WOTF to still be relevant.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

yeah i think in 4e the wall was destroyed.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

And 5e brought it back.

Made D&D great again, built a wall no one liked.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Cat Mattress posted:

Forgotten Realms cosmology changes with each edition (usually justified by some major cosmic cataclysm) and I'm pretty sure the god who built and maintained the wall of the faithless has been killed, and his successor has been killed, and his successor's successor has been killed, etc. so I wouldn't bet on the whole WOTF to still be relevant.

Nah, Jergal voluntarily stepped down from his position as God of the Dead, his successor died during the Time of Troubles, and Kelemvor has held the position since then, and is still around as of 5th Edition.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I wonder what the gods will do in terms of world making when the Snarl is beaten? It was mentioned at the meeting some are bored with the current world. Loki just stated he's not a fan of the fantasy setting. Hel will be livid if she's locked into this deal forever. Will they make multiple worlds?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

OhFunny posted:

I wonder what the gods will do in terms of world making when the Snarl is beaten? It was mentioned at the meeting some are bored with the current world. Loki just stated he's not a fan of the fantasy setting. Hel will be livid if she's locked into this deal forever. Will they make multiple worlds?

Evidently, theres only enough crafting components to create one world at a time.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

On the other hand, there's a world inside the gates.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Didn't Thor muse on wanting to give some longer-term world concepts a try, like natural selection?

It's possible that this world's days are numbered regardless and that there are Ragnarok prophecies and stuff, but at least when the end does come it would be a lot more orderly and managed by gods that cared about it, rather than a mad rush to end it before the Snarl does.

Alternatively, without having to worry about keeping the Snarl contained in their creation, they might just go creating new worlds elsewhere and leaving the current one running.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
And ascended mortals taking up the mantle, so to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

ultrafilter posted:

On the other hand, there's a world inside the gates.

During a reread I noticed Odin actually knows about this on some level. But he's entirely forgotten about it by the time Durkon gets Flame Striked back to the afterlife and mentions it in front of him and Thor.

This probably isn't a shocking insight or anything. But apparently whatever god-sight Odin has does reach inside the rifts.

"Yarn winding yarn" is an interesting phrasing for him to use as well. I wonder if the Snarl made its world out of bits of itself, or bits of the OotS world?