Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why did Vince McMahon stop wearing vests and waistcoats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm reminded of Nobuaki Kakuda, the champion kickboxer and crooked ref who helped Bob Sapp actually have a career in combat sports.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Critical posted:

Gearl Hebner because shes just really loving good at being a ref and takes no poo poo from mountain sized dudes

I'm totally down with Aubrey becoming AEW's ref for big matches because you don't gently caress with her.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why did referees wear blue shirts with little bow ties in WWE for such a long time?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Why did referees wear blue shirts with little bow ties in WWE for such a long time?

Because it looked great

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

wwf rose from the seed of oldtime boxing promotion where the refs pretty much looked like that, at least sometimes, and didn't wear stripes. stripes are a now roughly 100 year old college football thing that expanded into a couple other sports

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I thought they had little bow ties instead of neck ties so the wrestlers wouldn't be tempted to strangle them. Just look at Daniel Bryan.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
There was also WCW and TNA ref Slick Johnson, who not only had the habit of wearing shorts whilst reffing (making him stick out like a sore thumb) but he also had the bizarre quirk of selling moves for the wrestlers... like, a wrestler would get whipped into the turnbuckle and Slick would clutch his back in pain on the other side of the ring. He was later involved in an angle in TNA where he would privilege female wrestlers who gave him sexual favours.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

because he stopped pretending to be a commentator and revealed himself as the big boss thus as the big boss he had to wear suits unless it was time for battle (and even then in some cases) once he became a true on screen/in ring personality he wore the raw jacket and then suits.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Isn't that how boxing refs also dress?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gumball Gumption posted:

Vince loves him some boxing.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Gumball Gumption posted:

Cavuaro wasnt joking and pretty much nailed it.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Von Linus posted:

He was too tall too. Towered over people. Naitch is great, referees and managers should be as short as possible.

bill alfonso should be in every wrestling hall of fame

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

He's managing a guy at my local indie now and it's really a great act.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Critical posted:

Gearl Hebner because shes just really loving good at being a ref and takes no poo poo from mountain sized dudes

Her reaction to the Spears chairshot, looking completely scared shitless when Spears was looking at her like no one had any idea what was coming next and then immediately standing between him and Brandi when he turned his attention to her established that she’s a bonafide badass.

Also she was checking on Darby with the hand squeeze test like two seconds after the Coffin Drop at Fyter Fest, she’s on top of her job. #1 ref in the business, at least until Bryce does another tope onto the Young Bucks to end a ladder match or Red Shoes flips off Jay White for cheating and fucks him over.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Probably because he saw a southern dude wearing them.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

did anyon ever do a crotch chop but over their titty instead. suck tity

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Aubrey Edwards getting up in Brody King's face for bending the rules is a visual I won't forget, even if I've mostly forgotten what rule he broke to get her so upset.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is there a picture of what Randy Savage actually looked like? Between his hair, bandannas, hats, facial hair, sunglasses, crazy expressions, etc, I feel like I've never seen his goddamn face.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Is there a picture of what Randy Savage actually looked like? Between his hair, bandannas, hats, facial hair, sunglasses, crazy expressions, etc, I feel like I've never seen his goddamn face.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

old man version

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thank you, kind folks.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

what teh fcuk

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Cavauro posted:

old man version

No matter how old he got, that look of utterly terrifying, coke-fueled insanity never left his eyes.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

shiksa posted:

what teh fcuk

What? That’s exactly what I would imagine a Randall Poffo to look like

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I always thought Poffo sounded like one of the sound effects from the 60s Batman series.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
When I think of the Macho Man I think of the whole apocalypse "scare" that was going on at the time he died and the wonderful "Macho Man died for our sins" memes that went around :) I like to think he dropped the big elbow on the J-Man up in the Heavendome and saved humanity.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Miss Elizabeth caught a few elbows herself, maybe that's what saved us from Y2K.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cage Kicker posted:

When I think of the Macho Man I think of the whole apocalypse "scare" that was going on at the time he died and the wonderful "Macho Man died for our sins" memes that went around :) I like to think he dropped the big elbow on the J-Man up in the Heavendome and saved humanity.

He's in hell.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Cameo posted:

Red Shoes flips off Jay White for cheating and fucks him over.

poo poo, what match was this?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Miss Elizabeth caught a few elbows herself, maybe that's what saved us from Y2K.

Let’s not make light of the very real problem of domestic violence and the absolute poo poo Ms Elizabeth dealt with night in and night out for decades. Randy Savage was a loving monster. In summary:

MassRafTer posted:

He's in hell.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

poo poo, what match was this?

He hasn’t actively done it yet, but he’s flipped off Fale and DQed him for interference or blatant cheating a bunch of times now (and then gets the gently caress out of the ring before Fale grabs him), so I figure it’s just a matter of time before he gets sick of Jay’s bullshit in a less important match and just goes “gently caress you” and does the same thing.

The ever evolving saga of Red Shoes vs Bullet Club is a fun little story. Crotch chops, forcing guys to go to the back, pissing off the Ring General and flipping him off and getting the gently caress out of the ring once Fale realizes he got DQed, or Jay at the G1 Special trying to grab his US belt back and looking like he’s going to cry as Red Shoes keeps pulling it away from him and handing it to Juice...

And now that I think about it, Red Shoes is probably the best “do I call for the bell?” ref in the business. Him watching at New Beginning last year as Tanahashi refuses to give Suzuki the joy of making him tap out and eventually going “I can’t let him do this to himself” and calling for the bell, thus making Suzuki IC champ, or him yelling “OKADA!” and looking like “do I call for the bell? If I don’t, I don’t know what the Skull End is going to do to him...” at the G1 this year were incredible moments and a lot of it was on him to sell since the actual guys were laying on the mat, barely visible to the crowd. You really start to get why Baba and Inoki both really liked him and why he’s consistently the heavyweight title match ref.

All of this and he squired the Real Panty-Dropper on top of all that. I kinda hope Jericho tries to attack Shooter after losing to Tanahashi at Wrestle Kingdom and Shooter just Fisherman Busts him out of New Japan for the foreseeable future. Imagine that pop. I also hope they have their b-roll guys filming Moxley watching when that happens and the doc they put out a couple weeks later shows Mox popping like a ten year old when it happens.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

MassRafTer posted:

He's in hell.

Enough about Eddie Guerrero

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Nystral posted:

Let’s not make light of the very real problem of domestic violence and the absolute poo poo Ms Elizabeth dealt with night in and night out for decades. Randy Savage was a loving monster. In summary:

Easy there tiger, I was clowning on Cage Kicker.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Did DDP and Kimberly Page ever have kids?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LividLiquid posted:

Did DDP and Kimberly Page ever have kids?

One daughter, I think?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I wondered because it seemed like their kids would be reaching wrestling age by now and thought it was cool he kept his kids out of the business, but welp, looks like she uses Page as her public last name and is with University of Alabama athletics.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s her it’s her she’s my daughter

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

his step-daughter was on the most recent Road To

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ddp's daughter Montanna Bischoff has stayed out of the limelight, even on social media