Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm actually curious to see how good Brainstorm will end up being in a format without free shuffle effects. You can still run it Pauper-style with Evolving Wilds and the power level of the card is insane compared to anything else like it, but unconditional taplands are a hell of a deckbuilding cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Arena has easy access to uh... pseudo shuffle? effects like Brainstorming and then activating Azcanta or Narset to get rid of bad cards.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

flatluigi posted:

i imagine the idea is "let's get stuff arena-only players would never otherwise get to touch" plus "let's introduce stuff that curbs things in the historic meta that would otherwise be too strong"

That idea sucks

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

ilmucche posted:

I think we're saying the same thing from different sides. Fetch + shock lets multicolour decks run smoothly. Anything 5c is going to run vials or caverns anyway, why is making jund viable a bad thing? Without the fetch + shock combo wouldn't Tron just dominate everyone?

I don’t think anyone is advocating removing fetch lands from existing formats, too much other stuff is balanced around them. It’s just they are creating a new format and it would be better not to include design mistakes like fetch lands or Tron in it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Eej posted:

Arena has easy access to uh... pseudo shuffle? effects like Brainstorming and then activating Azcanta or Narset to get rid of bad cards.

There is also Field but that comes with probably a bigger deckbuilding restriction than Wilds.

Can't wait for Terramorphic Expanse to make it so we have 8 pseudo-fetches in arena.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
It's called historic because this format is history before it even launches.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
now: pull meteor golem or nicol bolas statue with karn the creator
two months from now: pull wurmcoil engine with karn the creator

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
"We are experimenting with mycosinth lattice in historic. Also, the tron lands"

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Wurmcoil with slower, less consistent mana doesn't seem that bad at all.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I wish that Field of the Dead wasn't in the historic card pool because I would love to add the Titans to historic but the current scapeshift deck getting access to primeval titan sounds heinous.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I can't figure out jack poo poo for the Throne of Eldraine spoiler season. No panel at PAX West, no date for the start of official spoilers, nothing.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

dragon enthusiast posted:

I can't figure out jack poo poo for the Throne of Eldraine spoiler season. No panel at PAX West, no date for the start of official spoilers, nothing.

September 9th

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

dragon enthusiast posted:

they'll be giving all the spoilers to the top hearthstone streamers

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Hellsau posted:

they'll be giving all the spoilers to the top hearthstone apex streamers

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I would love for one set to not have any spoilers and to walk into the prerelease completely blind. Could you imagine someone cracking a pack and screaming "They reprinted jace tms!!!"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ilmucche posted:

I would love for one set to not have any spoilers and to walk into the prerelease completely blind. Could you imagine someone cracking a pack and screaming "They reprinted jace tms!!!"

In practice what this really means is everything still gets spoiled, but instead of using spoilers to build hype and encourage small-time content creators, all the spoilers come from stores that are unscrupulous enough to open product early.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

ilmucche posted:

They did a preview prerelease at Hasbrocon for Iconic Masters. That set was not a success.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Hellsau posted:

They did a preview prerelease at Hasbrocon for Iconic Masters. That set was not a success.

iconic masters is cheating and you know it

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

iconic masters is cheating and you know it

i paid for entry and played in a masters 25 booster box sealed tournament, i get to complain about those two horrendous masters sets all i want

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ilmucche posted:

Just stay away from the usual sources of information for a while. It's doable.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Iconic Masters wasn't that bad. Yeesh.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hellsau posted:

i paid for entry and played in a masters 25 booster box sealed tournament, i get to complain about those two horrendous masters sets all i want

You can complain about M25 as being a way to get more JtMS out there before they unbanned it but Iconic Masters was a fun format and like a dozen cards would be so loving expensive without it right now. Imagine Mishra's Bauble being most expensive that FoW.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Jabor posted:

In practice what this really means is everything still gets spoiled, but instead of using spoilers to build hype and encourage small-time content creators, all the spoilers come from stores that are unscrupulous enough to open product early.

this is correct, what wizards used to do was release 1-2 spoilers per day so in theory you only had like 40 cards spoiled, but you could go to mtgnews or mtgsalvation and get a complete or almost complete spoiler before the first prerelease

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
What’s everyone playing tonight for modern FNM?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

smertrioslol posted:

Mill because I'm a dork and also I plan on running stuff that's familiar to me while everyone else scrambles to figure out what the hell is going on. Plus with fast Faithless Looting decks gone and everyone searching off of their Stoneforge Mystics I feel maybe even some slight optimism about the deck.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Mill because I'm a dork and also I plan on running stuff that's familiar to me while everyone else scrambles to figure out what the hell is going on. Plus with fast Faithless Looting decks gone and everyone searching off of their Stoneforge Mystics I feel maybe even some slight optimism about the deck.

I think mill is probably pretty strong right now. Doesn’t seem like a meme deck anymore, and the field of ruin + archive trap interaction will be fantastic without the GY decks and the assumed prevalence of tron.

That said, I was gonna jam mardu stoneblade but I think I’m gonna try out grixis control. Everyone else is gonna be on SFM, and I’ve never wanted 4 K command and 4 snap casters in my deck like I do now.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I have 2 5-0s with five color niv since the banning. It dumpsters uw and jund

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

smertrioslol posted:

I think mill is probably pretty strong right now. Doesn’t seem like a meme deck anymore, and the field of ruin + archive trap interaction will be fantastic without the GY decks and the assumed prevalence of tron.

I don't think the deck has gotten a lot better in a vacuum (though Scheming Symmetry has shown a little bit of promise) but if the meta moves the way that people expect it to then I think those moves will be good for Mill. Fewer decks that use the graveyard as a resource and more decks that want to drag the game out, though Izzet Phoenix was a good matchup for Mill and I'll be sad to see it go.

The deck needs another playable 1-mana mill spell to be truly viable though. Would it have killed them to make Stream of Thought a little bit better?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

smertrioslol posted:

That said, I was gonna jam mardu stoneblade but I think I’m gonna try out grixis control. Everyone else is gonna be on SFM, and I’ve never wanted 4 K command and 4 snap casters in my deck like I do now.

CalebD played a mardu sfm deck last night that had a couple dreadhorde arcanist and nahiris in it. Slapping sword on arcanist so you can recast your kcommands and helix's sounds pretty nice.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

CalebD played a mardu sfm deck last night that had a couple dreadhorde arcanist and nahiris in it. Slapping sword on arcanist so you can recast your kcommands and helix's sounds pretty nice.

Got a list? I’m assuming lightning helix is played over smiting helix now that faithless looting is gone and dreadhorde arcanist gets swole with a sword. Which sucks, cause I don’t have lightning helix.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Lone Goat posted:

Fetches + Shocks let you easily play 4-5 colours. If you have fetches that get Plains in your deck you can, for example, put one each of a WB, WR, and WG shockland in your deck and make any colour of mana you want. Aside from a few life there's no deckbuilding cost and it aggressively homogenises deck construction when you can play All The Good Cards

This opens up a question for me: how did they decide to make what duals have the basic land types? The original duals had those land types, but only some of the later dual lands would be “Swamp Plains” or whatever. Why the shocks and not others?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I would like to try this stoneblade version of Mardu but in light of having literally all of my decks hosed over by the recent bans, I’m not super keen on dumping something on the order of $500 for 6-7 cards in order to update my list

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Mike N Eich posted:

This opens up a question for me: how did they decide to make what duals have the basic land types? The original duals had those land types, but only some of the later dual lands would be “Swamp Plains” or whatever. Why the shocks and not others?

It's very likely the Shocks were made what they were back in original Ravnica to help with fixing for the gold set by letting cards that searched for land types find cards that could provide color fixing to any of the Guilds since Shock Lands predate most land searching requiring Basic Lands.

Also, remember that Shocks predate the enemy color Fetchlands (and, indeed, until Khans of Tarkir I don't think there was a format that relied on the Shock Lands for fixing that had access to all ten fetches) and hindsight is kinda 20/20 on Shocks becoming one half of a problem where a format basically has perfect mana forever at the cost of all of your money.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Mike N Eich posted:

having basic land types is a huge, huge, huge advantage, not only because of fetches but because of stuff like farseek, gift of estates, the pitch cards from masques block, etc etc. between 1993 and 2005 they never made another set of typed duals because of how powerful they are. when they finally decided to make another cycle they were likewise format-defining in power. since then they’ve experimented a couple times with typed duals, once with a somewhat onerous condition to ETBU, once that just straight up always ETBT, but basically it’s so powerful that they have to be careful.

generally duals operate along three axes:
1) do they have types, if so how many (they could, for example, print a non basic forest that can also tap for R but not be a mountain; there’s a lorwyn land that does this)
2) do they enter tapped or untapped, and how easy is it to make them enter untapped (checklands very easy, fastlands somewhat less easy)
3) do they have some other secondary effect, like temples or refuges

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

smertrioslol posted:

Got a list? I’m assuming lightning helix is played over smiting helix now that faithless looting is gone and dreadhorde arcanist gets swole with a sword. Which sucks, cause I don’t have lightning helix.

Not in a convenient way I can link at the time, but you should be able to check his twitch replays from last night.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

smertrioslol posted:

I am in the backwater of LA for work, and nothing is within 75 miles on the locator besides a draft event. Bletch.

I plan on giving humans another go when I get back to civilization. I’m a bit worried about how it lines up with tron an SFM, but the way to see it is to play it. I think I heard some good things about some equipment from Kamigawa block that kills other equipment. That gives you some better counterplay when someone drops batterskull turn 3.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Is a 4/4 lifelinker attached to a 0/0 token really that dangerous? it can be pushed easily, and batterskull costs 5 to replay with stoneforge

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just ban fetch lands and shock lands. What's the worst that could happen

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ilmucche posted:

Is a 4/4 lifelinker attached to a 0/0 token really that dangerous? it can be pushed easily, and batterskull costs 5 to replay with stoneforge

It provides UW control an early clock, and you have to have stuff to deal with it in an Aggro deck like humans or you have a bad day. But with the manruki in the side, you have reflector, freebooter, deputy, plus dismember and effectively image in the side. also mage if you slam it on SFM instead of path. That’s 10ish cards main plus 6 side. And you have Teeg in the side to lock tron and control out of their payoff spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

ilmucche posted:

They still have the stoneforge and the batterskull in play and you're down a card. You slowed them down, but they're up in card advantage. Also, an amortized 5 is a lot cheaper than straight up 5.