Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

angrygodofjebus posted:

They just announced tour dates:

Love that they're playing the UC in Chicago and not out in Rosemont :toot:

Yeah I mean I'd prefer one of the smaller venues but at least it's in the city. Imagine if it was Tinley :barf:

edit: the cover art works better with the version that's inside the trifold, where there's glossy embossed lines tracing spirals throughout.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

angrygodofjebus posted:

They just announced tour dates:

Love that they're playing the UC in Chicago and not out in Rosemont :toot:

Of course they're playing in Boston 2 weeks before I go to MA for Thanksgiving :negative:

e; And their Toronto shows (2 hours each way for me) are both on work nights. Ugh.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 30, 2019

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Killing Joke is the opener

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Holy gently caress 7empest is good

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

angrygodofjebus posted:

Killing Joke is the opener

This is cool as gently caress.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I have now given this two listen-throughs aaaand my verdict is.... pretty good?

I actually don't know what I want from Tool as a 36 year old who has moved away from prog-metal and into electronica and hip hop in recent years. I don't know what would make me go "Hubba hubba, this is everything!".

I think my favorite and least favorite parts of the album are the same thing: it feels reaaalllly loooonnnngggg and I zone out during the songs. At their best, they are hypnotic and intoxicating, at worst, kinda plodding or exhausting for me (at least right now, FI grew on me over time).

My favorite tracks currently are 7empest, Chocolate Chip Trip, Descending, and Pneuma. I actually really like the weird atmospheric interludes, I wish they were slightly longer and more developed like CCT, but then again, I'm into electronica a lot now.

I agree with whichever of you thread pals said that it feels like Maynard has taken a back seat to the rest of the band. The lyrics really fall beneath the waves of sound from the rest of the band to me. Not a complaint, it's an interesting way to stand out from past work.

Also, I think the mixing and sound design on this album is top notch. It feels REALLY sharp to me and I feel like I can hear everything really vibrantly. It might feel too "clean" for true doom metalheads, but I like the surgicality of it.

Will I be listening to this next spring? I don't know, maybe not, but it's better than I expected

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah I never understand the hate the supposed "filler" tracks get... it's such a necessary palate cleanser. I would welcome more of them.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Jewmanji posted:

Yeah I never understand the hate the supposed "filler" tracks get... it's such a necessary palate cleanser. I would welcome more of them.

Plus it’s a thing they’ve done in nearly all of their albums its not like all of a sudden there are interlude tracks on a tool album.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I do think it was bold to end with an interlude track on this one though. I felt like 7empest has an air of finality to it, but here come a bunch of loving animals shouting.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

I do think it was bold to end with an interlude track on this one though. I felt like 7empest has an air of finality to it, but here come a bunch of loving animals shouting.

I mean, how is that different than Lateralus/10k Days?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Jewmanji posted:

I mean, how is that different than Lateralus/10k Days?

I guess you're right. I think the Art Bell thing is a really great ending, but I always forget that Right In Two isn't the end of 10000 days. It should be.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

First listen I feel like it has a few good tracks - Pneuma and Invincible might stand with the best of their post-Aenima material- but is overall even weaker than 10,000 Days, which was itself weaker than Lateralus, which was quite a bit weaker than Aenima. I'm glad it wasn't totally forgettable, and I'll give it a few more listens, but even as someone who still listens to and loves a lot of 10 minute long songs, they really meander a lot on the second half of the album.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Really enjoying the album. Ironic that after being disappointed with so many recent albums where the artist goes for a new sound, a prog rock band releases more of the same and it ends up being just what I wanted.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

H13 posted:

I know I'm a tragic nerd (I mean, obviously, I like Tool), but I want to know how they've updated their music gear.

Justin sounds the same (but what a goddamn mix on this!), but Adam's sound has less grind in the upper mids and he sounds loving fantastic. I wonder if he's still using that grimy old Marshall?

Edit: gently caress me rotten, the ending of Invincible is so awesome.

hes using diezel amps. they're a very good amp company

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Went to the local record store at lunch and they still had plenty of the CDs. Picked the one with the design on the back I liked the most.

I think this is the first CD I’ve bought in a decade or more (the last one might have even been 10,000 Days). And if they ever decide to do official vinyl I’ll get the album again.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Amazon still hasn’t delivered my copy. Argh. I want to play with the pretty packaging!

Also the more I listen the more I love, Invincible and Descending really grew on me.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Tool can't make another album like Aenima or Lateralus any more than they can make it be 1996 or 2001 again.

I've enjoyed my first few listens, it's fun to explore a new album. I said "what the gently caress is this" out loud to myself halfway through the first listening of Chocolate Chip Trip. It's good stuff. It doesn't seem like a long album because there are so few songs, despite the 10 + minute runs. Glad to hear 'Invincible' and 'Descending' without all the assholes having idle conversations during the live sets that were on YouTube.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Giga Gaia posted:

He used a combination of Diezel, Marshall and Rectos previously. There's a bit of Diezel involved in this sound for sure, but the guitar sound has more lower mid than what I'd expect from Diezel. Working with Barresi I'd guess that there was a blend, but I'd love to know what it was.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I know everyone does streaming these days but I bought the physical version and it came with an MP3 download code I don't need so someone else enjoy!

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
^^ Redeemed. You da man!

Diving in.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
A code is the least cool way to listen to music

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Pneuma is such an incredible track. Strong Right in Two vibes.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I just recently discovered Tool and I loving love Lateralus and enjoy some of 10k days. The new album feels like they've gone full prog metal Phish, which isnt neccesarily a complaint. The drumming on the last half of Invincible is loving incredible and 7empest fuckin rules. The worst part of the album is how....unimaginative the guitar riffs are. I still enjoy it and it'll probably grow on me.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.

angrygodofjebus posted:

After listening to this 6 or 7 times I definitely have it waaaay above 10,000 Days. Wings for Marie is an 18 minute slog and after Rosetta Stoned you might as well turn it off.

I really like 10,000Days/Wings, but otherwise I'm with ya in that I pretty much always tune out after Rosetta Stoned, because "But I forgot my pen" is the best moment in Tool's catalogue. That poo poo just soars, and I'm done after that. I loved Right in Two at first, but I kinda can't stand it now, so I'm certainly not gonna sit through Intension for it (or skip to it). That said, some of my favorite Tool stuff is on 10,000 Days. Vicarious-through-RS is a pretty amazing five-song run.

Also, Pneuma loving rules.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Album is fuckin' grouse. I've been picking apart bits of it all over the place all afternoon/evening. There's heaps going on and I'm sure my favourite parts will be different in a month to what they are now.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
One thing that will take getting used to is Maynard’s absence. So many classic Tool songs lean on him heavily for their emotional climax (try to imagine 46&2 without “46&2 is just ahead of me...” or Pushit without “there will be no other way” or Schism without “between supposed brothers...” or The Patient without it’s vocal harmony or the aforementioned Rosetta Stoned”). I think that lack of vocal narrative is what is driving some people to call this album more “jam band”-esque... it’s not clear that the vocals are taking you on a journey. You have to rely more on the instrumentation to do that on this album.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I agree that it’s jam band ey at points and not in a way that I like. 7empest has that long bit in the middle that feels like a live bands improv, and it’s got some great licks in it, but licks that I would have preferred to hear as hooks in a more structured song.

Then at the end the bit where Maynard is singing a tempest will be just that and the guitar is playing this looping blazing riff I was like, ok this is cool, it’s heavy but in a way that’s actually kind of different for for Tool. But to get to it I’d have to sit through that interminable jam band section again.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, I just listened to the album for the first time and found it pretty boring. It's 80 minutes of near-recycled riffs with some cool moments here and there, and a lot of repetitive chugging and filler. Maynard probably had the demos sent to him and was baffled at how the hell he's supposed to sing a progressing melody over 80% of that poo poo and said "gently caress it, I'll sit this out".

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Maynard singing the word "psychopathy" is embarrassing as poo poo, but I'm liking the album slightly better now that I'm listening to it on my headphones instead of my terrible car speakers.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah Maynard is mostly Mia on this album

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Giga Gaia posted:

I’m pretty sure he still uses a combo of Diezel and Marshall amps with Mesa Boogie cabinets

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I have the same kind of ambivalent feeling towards this as I do Eat The Elephant. It's very jarring to jump forward 15 years with a band.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

I have the same kind of ambivalent feeling towards this as I do Eat The Elephant. It's very jarring to jump forward 15 years with a band.

Eat the Elephant seemed utterly bereft of interesting moments, it felt to me like it had absolutely no reason for existing. I was actually astonished they released it given how dramatically worse it is than their previous work. Regardless of how anyone feels about this album, I don’t think you can make the argument that Fear Inoculum doesn’t seem like a work of enormous effort and care. I’m not sure I particularly love it, but I have to acknowledge that they aren’t just going through the motions

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Jewmanji posted:

One thing that will take getting used to is Maynard’s absence. So many classic Tool songs lean on him heavily for their emotional climax (try to imagine 46&2 without “46&2 is just ahead of me...” or Pushit without “there will be no other way” or Schism without “between supposed brothers...” or The Patient without it’s vocal harmony or the aforementioned Rosetta Stoned”). I think that lack of vocal narrative is what is driving some people to call this album more “jam band”-esque... it’s not clear that the vocals are taking you on a journey. You have to rely more on the instrumentation to do that on this album.
Yeah, there's really not much remarkable lyrically or vocally on this album, but for the most part I think what Maynard's doing here works pretty well (except for that "psychopathy" bit, which kinda irritates me too). Even though I'm liking it all, it is weird how he's just gone for some pretty long stretches, and I think in doing that, he really missed out on some opportunities. The back half of Descending, in particular, could've really been something special if he'd been right there with the band riding out that climax. Still great, but not what it could've been.
But honestly, given what he's doing on the rest of the album, I'm not sure he would've been up for it. His vocal style is totally different now. I'm not a vocal coach or a singer or anything, so forgive me if my terminology's all off, but you can tell he's rolling a lot of words around in his mouth instead of pushing them up from his diaphragm (think the do in "all that I'm to do" in Fear Inoculum, which is so front and rounded it just sounds strange). We're also not getting quite the pathos and anger we've gotten from him in the past, which, fine, we're all thirteen years older here, but still, it's a part of the equation that's missing.

Do I sound like an "absolute tosser" yet? 'Cause I could certainly go on.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I personally thought Descending was a great emotional trip vocally especially in the middle. Granted he's not really around in the back half of the song but that leadup to the final "mitigate our ruin, call us all to arms and order" was loving awesome.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

You're right, that's a really good run.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
finally the one true canonical review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYQCKAEtUdE

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So after a few days of listening to this...

I've gone from adoring it, to...respecting the absolute gently caress out of it, but I can look at it a bit more objectively.

There are some outstanding musical ideas here. Pnuema in particular is stunning. I love the dynamics in Fear Inoculum and I love how goddamn pretty this album is sometimes. In almost every song there's a series of riffs\moments that make me sit up and go: "Goddamn that's a piece of work"

However, now that the hype\excitement has worn off a little, I feel like a fair bit of the album was over-written. A fair few moments where somebody in the band has gone: "No, you NEED that bit, that's like the best bit! That bit there justifies the next bit!" and sometimes that thread of ideas, doesn't feel like it goes anywhere. Then eventually it'll wind its way back to the main idea of the song and it'll be awesome again. These songs are long and that's cool, but they probably could've been 8 minutes, not 10.

Also, as I said before, Descending and Culling Voices seem to lack an ending. I still can't get into 7empest because for me it feels like a riff salad.

Basically, in each song, there's 6-8 minutes I absolutely love. Then there's about 2-4 minutes where I want them to get back to the point. It's not fair to call it "mindless jamming" because the arrangement of what's going on for a LOT of those sections is ridiculously complicated and I don't think you could improvise that poo poo. Also, the transitions into, throughout and out of those sections are fantastically well written. They're very deliberate, but I'm just not sure why. Hence I feel it was over-written.

I feel like they had these great ideas, and they kept trying to justify them, and the 13 year wait by adding to them with other complicated sections which kinda watered the album down a bit.

Still an amazing mix though.

Overall, I still love the album. I can't wait for people better at music than me to tab this poo poo out so that I can learn some of these ridiculous sections but it definitely feels like purging a lodestone a bit too.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Regarding Maynard's vocals I agree he's missing a bit but I'm not surprised. He was doing Ticks & Leeches out of a megaphone 15 years ago because his voice couldn't handle it and now he's like 60. I was still kind of waiting for him to go off on one song like The Grudge or something, but alas.

E: also I'm glad a week after the leak there is still good discussion going on because I really had no idea what to expect and this could have been five pages of "man this poo poo sucks." Some mixed thoughts for sure but I don't think anyone can call this album bad or uninteresting.

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

angrygodofjebus posted:

Some mixed thoughts for sure but I don't think anyone can call this album bad or uninteresting.

a few people in this very thread have