Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Most recent list of Modern 5-0 decks

Lots of interesting stuff, including but not limited to:

~29 instances of decks with SFM.
This is the league with h0lydiver's pretty spicy Temur Delver list.
Cool 4/5 color Elementals deck.
Someone played Mono Red Prowess to success with Abbot of Keral Keep in place of Faithless Looting.
No one made it 5-0 with an Arclight Phoenix, which was to be expected.
ONE Humans 5-0 list.
Shout outs to the one brave soul running Seismic Swans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
I wish the omniscience drafts were cheaper. Super fun to mess with but near random as long as you are playing against someone who knows how to draft in these.

Got 6 wins with probably the level 0 strategy (sages row + 2x wavecrashers). Someone had an interesting staxish deck with rules of law and discard so that was cool.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Clowner posted:

Just ban fetch lands and shock lands. What's the worst that could happen

Hurts Jund, burn, and control. Does nothing about tron or creature tribal. So basically some of the best decks get dropped, but so do a ton of other decks.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

InterrupterJones posted:

ONE Humans 5-0 list.
Isn’t only one list per archetype common once the deck is standardized? I thought that wotc doesn’t show decks that aren’t different by a bunch of cards, so you do not see the same thing with different sideboards.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

rkajdi posted:

Isn’t only one list per archetype common once the deck is standardized? I thought that wotc doesn’t show decks that aren’t different by a bunch of cards, so you do not see the same thing with different sideboards.

This is true, but I feel like I've seen lists in the past with multiple iterations of some archetypes. I mostly skimmed through this list and did a Ctrl+F to find which decks were more represented than others, such as SFM decks.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

rkajdi posted:

Yeah gotta be 20 cards different.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

InterrupterJones posted:

This is true, but I feel like I've seen lists in the past with multiple iterations of some archetypes. I mostly skimmed through this list and did a Ctrl+F to find which decks were more represented than others, such as SFM decks.

All this really tells you is that the Stoneforge package fits into more different decks. There could have been more Seismic Swans 5-0s than Stoneforge Mystic ones, and the data would be the same.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hellsau posted:

Yeah gotta be 20 cards different.

That's why you only get one dredge/burn/humans deck per dump, right? Because those are very mature decks, meaning that at the top level 56-60 cards are set. Dredge right now is trying to replace looting, but it was almost always 100% set in the mainboard before.

I did see a dump with two humans decks once, but it was when people were trying out that Jeskai version with Kessig malcontents and lightning bolts. So a very different humans deck. SFM is all over the place because lots of people are jamming it in lots of places, to lots of different results. Eventually most of these will die off when someone solves the SFM deck again and we get 1-3 strong places to put it.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

InterrupterJones posted:

Someone played Mono Red Prowess to success with Abbot of Keral Keep in place of Faithless Looting.
ONE Humans 5-0 list.

The temur rhinos deck looks pretty sweet.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

InterrupterJones posted:

ONE Humans 5-0 list.

They actively curate 5-0 lists so it's harder for people to tell when they've completely boned formats.

This choice was made during the Kaladesh-having Standards, before they finally had to throw their hands up and ban a Lay of the Land with upside.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

They actively curate 5-0 lists so it's harder for people to tell when they've completely boned formats.

This choice was made during the Kaladesh-having Standards, before they finally had to throw their hands up and ban a Lay of the Land with upside.

To be clear there was one hell of an upside on that lay of the land

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AnEdgelord posted:

To be clear there was one hell of an upside on that lay of the land

SOI has Traverse the Ulvenwald, which is Lay of the Land without delirium and a tutor for any creature or land with.

And yet they screwed up energy so hard.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Energy was a broken mechanic

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I usually wait a few weeks for Commander product cards to drop a bit as more get opened/put into circulation. Glad I fought that instinct this time. >_>

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

I usually wait a few weeks for Commander product cards to drop a bit as more get opened/put into circulation. Glad I fought that instinct this time. >_>

Is there a story on what is going on with Commander 2019? Did they just not release enough of it?

It's been out for a week and somehow a sealed set of 4 is $25+ above the retail preorder price (roughly $135 pre-order, now $160 from SCG).

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
My first 2 rounds of Omni draft my opponent drops a T1 6 mana Chandra. Nice!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

I'm still trying to decide if I'm buying that deck. Elsha, Extortionist, Sevinne's Reclamation, and that really bad 4 mana rock are more than the retail price.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

moush posted:

My first 2 rounds of Omni draft my opponent drops a T1 6 mana Chandra. Nice!
That's not even good. Weird coincidence tho for sure.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Blue/White Death and Taxes is cool, Modern looking good.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Fish Of Doom posted:

Blue/White Death and Taxes is cool, Modern looking good.

Ya it owns and I’m like hmmmm do I start getting the stuff for it. The eldrazi deans and taxes with noble hierarch is also awesome

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mike N Eich posted:

This opens up a question for me: how did they decide to make what duals have the basic land types? The original duals had those land types, but only some of the later dual lands would be “Swamp Plains” or whatever. Why the shocks and not others?

iirc they were just given land types because whoever was making them wanted them to have something a little extra and it didn't mean much at the time. Wish I could remember where I read that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Farseek was a cool ramp spell in OG ravnica that wouldn't have been as cool if the shocklands weren't typed.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
FNM trip report with grixis control

Dumpstered 2-0 by merfolk
Dumpstered 2-0 by mardu shadow
Beat my girlfriend’s $50 budget deck with my wallet 2-0
Dropped in utter shame

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Eej posted:

iirc they were just given land types because whoever was making them wanted them to have something a little extra and it didn't mean much at the time. Wish I could remember where I read that.

Maro posted:

I designed this cycle for original Ravnica with the goal of finding lands that were a cross between pain lands (aka the dual lands from Ice Age and Apocalypse that damage you when you tap them) and tap lands (aka the dual lands from Invasion, and later Shadows over Innistrad, that come into play tapped). My goal with the pain land part was to front-load the life loss so that there weren't any tracking issues. I gave the lands the basic lands types because we hadn't done a lot of dual lands with basic land types and I thought there would be some fun synergy with them. (Turns out I was correct.)

Yup.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

smertrioslol posted:

Dropped in utter shame

We didn't have enough people for FNM to fire and the only person who wanted to throw down for practice was running a deck with Emrakul, versus me on Mill :negative: I can't catch a break.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

smertrioslol posted:

Dropped in utter shame

yeah but did you shove 4 stoneforge in there?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Your girlfriend probably let you win out of pity

Hauki
May 11, 2010

what are the loving odds of hitting six land off a kaalia, having already seen 6/22

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Tom Ross is running BW Hammer Infect at the moment, looks hilarious. I really hope someone makes a viable hammer deck.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I always guessed that the reason they gave the shocklands basic land types was because the entire plane is a city. So it would have been on theme.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Is anyone trying to brew up Quest for the Holy Relic but modern?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Hauki posted:

what are the loving odds of hitting six land off a kaalia, having already seen 6/22

Given enough people concurrently playing bad decks wordwide, 100%

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Hauki posted:

You just drew 6 cards by clearing off six useless lands!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Hauki posted:

0.05%

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Thanks to SFM I can not look crazy for maindecking pithing needles. I have had someone try to say I was cheating when I dropped a pithing needle vs their noble hierarch game 1. :shrug:

Doctor Dogballs fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Aug 31, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Thanks to SFM I can not look crazy for maindecking pithing needles. I have had someone try to say I was cheating when I dropped a pithing needle vs their noble hierarch game 1. :shrug:

did you name noble hierarch

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Hellsau posted:

did you name noble hierarch

Yeah lmbo but that makes me dumb for not reading the card, it was maindeck bc of some planeswalker, I don’t remember which one. Point is not that it didn’t work, but that he didn’t believe I would have a maindeck pithing needle

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

Do people just use wrenn and six *instead* of Bob now? I dont see Bob showing up on Jund lists, yet he’s still up to $75. Or are people running both... or is he key in another deck? I haven’t been playing Modern for about a year

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Do people just use wrenn and six *instead* of Bob now? I dont see Bob showing up on Jund lists, yet he’s still up to $75. Or are people running both... or is he key in another deck? I haven’t been playing Modern for about a year

Price memory is a hell of a drug. Most Jund builds I've seen run at least 2 W6 and the usual cut is Bob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Price memory, not having a reprint in several years, still played as 3-4-of in a top Legacy deck.

Speaking of MTG Finance, now is not the best time to lose a Sword of Fire and Ice.

:eng99:

I've check every deck box and EDH deck it could have been in, still missing. I guess Batterskull and Feast and Famine are what's happening tonight.

I'll bring Jeskai Stoneblade and Goblins and probably play Goblins anyway