Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
alternatively, dig a lot and you will find plenty of algae for 8-10 dupes for a few hundred cycles, unless you're playing one of the barren maps.

Finally getting the waterweed farm going :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Alamoduh posted:

ONI is just like that. Like, you have to “exploit” the heating element automation to be able to boil water into steam with it (even though there is an espresso machine that presumably does the same thing) and in many cases exploits are the preferred way to do something extremely simple.

Having to understand weird quirks of how water bridges work to build these things is annoying though. It seems like it'd be a huge boon to quality of life, especially for newer players, if the devs saw players doing these things and added, say, an automation output on the reservoir itself to toggle something when it's full/empty.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Every single time I exit the game it disables all my mods when I start it again, why is this happening?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Demon_Corsair posted:

I need to start doing things on a small scale first. I'm nervously watching my algae tick down while I build a long term farm and power plant.

Now I just need to build my massive gas circulator and I can start on my SPOM.

Oh , and dig out some massive water tanks.

I'm definitely gonna run out of air.

Slap down a deoxidizer or an electrolyzer just in the open and let it run while you figure poo poo out. You will wind up with clouds of chlorine or hydrogen, and it will pull eventual overheating closer to your time horizon, but also it will take the strain off your algae stores and give you dozens more cycles to nail down your SPOM and gas handling before your dupes start dropping.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Yeah a random electrolyzer trades now problems for future problems. The future problems (which are honestly mainly water usage; it's going to be a very long time before the heat becomes an issue) are definitely something to be fixed, but they're something to be fixed in the future, and are much easier to deal with than the now problems.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

You know that recurring theme of what to do when you get a big messed up mix of fluids all jumbled up, well, this is extremely redneck science but it takes no power and is very fast compared to pumping and filtering the entire contents of a large tank:

How do the pitcher pumps know exactly what fluids to take? The hose knows

It KNOWS :shrug:

the easiest way to clean up liquid contamination is to surround the contaminated cells with tiles

...you're welcome :wink:

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

nrook posted:

Yeah a random electrolyzer trades now problems for future problems. The future problems (which are honestly mainly water usage; it's going to be a very long time before the heat becomes an issue) are definitely something to be fixed, but they're something to be fixed in the future, and are much easier to deal with than the now problems.

I feel like trading now problems for future problems is actually the whole game!

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

TehSaurus posted:

I feel like trading now problems for future problems is actually the whole game!

Pretty much.

I'm good up until around cycle 200 and then the heat starts to really impact me. I want to move beyond relying on ice biomes to cool gas and liquid but it's a struggle to do it while under stress of trying to keep things going.

I might play around with cheat mode to figure out the systems with mid game materials.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I've started ranching for the first time and I'm wondering about the most efficient way to do it. I started with having an incubator in each room, but I ended up constantly getting the "Cramped" debuff. Even when using the auto-wrangle feature to keep the number correct. Now I have a dedicated nursery with auto-wrangle set to zero. Is there a better way to do it?

For Dreckos I build a split room. The upper floor is hot hydrogen with all the ranching buildings and the insulated bottom floor is cool oxygen with mealwood. Is there a way to make it just a single room? I can't feed many Dreckos this way.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Why not have a ladder to reach both sections? The space it takes up connects the two rooms. Mazz has a good picture showing it off:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Travic posted:

I've started ranching for the first time and I'm wondering about the most efficient way to do it. I started with having an incubator in each room, but I ended up constantly getting the "Cramped" debuff. Even when using the auto-wrangle feature to keep the number correct. Now I have a dedicated nursery with auto-wrangle set to zero. Is there a better way to do it?

Cramped is okay, it just means they're not going to lay more eggs (or at least will be much slower about it) because if all the current eggs hatch they'll overcrowd. Once they hatch the auto-wrangling will come into play. "Overcrowded" is the debuff you want to watch out for that means there's too many critters, that's when their consumption/production tanks.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Sage Grimm posted:

Why not have a ladder to reach both sections? The space it takes up connects the two rooms. Mazz has a good picture showing it off:

That's actually the setup I'm using as well. I'd take a picture but I'm at work. Like any evil overlord worth his salt I wanted to cram more Dreckos in there.

:edit: Oh wait. I have a similar set up, but much smaller. Hmm. For mine the total number of squares upstairs and downstairs is 96. Isn't that the max you can have for a stable?

Tenebrais posted:

Cramped is okay, it just means they're not going to lay more eggs (or at least will be much slower about it) because if all the current eggs hatch they'll overcrowd. Once they hatch the auto-wrangling will come into play. "Overcrowded" is the debuff you want to watch out for that means there's too many critters, that's when their consumption/production tanks.

Ah spiffy. I thought that debuff was called 'expecting'.

Travic fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 30, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
My trick is to set a storage in my kitchen for all eggs, then set a specific egg per incubator in the ranch areas on clock sensors. I only turn the incubator on like for 2%-5% every cycle to keep a stock of new animals once at capacity. The rest of the eggs just decay to 0% viability in the storage container and break open to be immediately turned into omelettes. The egg cracker is superfluous.

This will solve all cramped/overcrowding problems, assuming you have a dump ranch for overflow critters somewhere when you hatch eggs before anything dies. If you have shine bugs, this will be often.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Well time to start a new colony. Probably still salvageable but untangling the mess that is my power/water/plumbing systems is always less appealing than starting new. There's something about hitting that 12th dupe that causes all my colonies to fail, or maybe it's just coincidentally always when I run out of Algae/Coal/Food/Whatever.

Clearly if I just roll with 8 dupes and never go beyond that I can't fail :downs:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I have pipe runs in my base which have been part of 4-5 different systems before some new need or idea for a revision led me to turn something off, empty it, and then tear out/rebuild things.

As of right now there are four different areas with pipes or ducts which are connected to nothing, remnants of superfluous or outgrown systems.

Basically what I am saying is, dehumanize yourself and face to spaghetti. That poo poo is way faster to deconstruct and rebuild than starting a new embark.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm not totally sure how I'm going to leverage it but this seems super convenient :shrug:

I guess enclose it and let it erupt and turn all the ice to steam and hook up some steam turbines and if something looks like it's going out of control space is RIGHT THERE :shrug:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

What is the auto-wrangling? How is that set up?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

On your critter dropoff building, you can set how many critters you want in the room, and there's a checkbox to automatically tag any extra critters above that number for wrangling. I haven't really made use of it myself but I suspect there needs to be another stable somewhere for them to be moved to for it to have any effect.

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm not totally sure how I'm going to leverage it but this seems super convenient :shrug:

I guess enclose it and let it erupt and turn all the ice to steam and hook up some steam turbines and if something looks like it's going out of control space is RIGHT THERE :shrug:

It's already out of control if that's happening.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Tenebrais posted:

On your critter dropoff building, you can set how many critters you want in the room, and there's a checkbox to automatically tag any extra critters above that number for wrangling. I haven't really made use of it myself but I suspect there needs to be another stable somewhere for them to be moved to for it to have any effect.

You don’t need an entire stable, just a Critter Drop-Off that hasn’t hit its maximum. Just make sure it is in a room, because if you place it outside your base it will count all the (wild) creatures in that outside area. Random dreckos, the occasional morb, pufts.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Eh, a gold volcano really doesn't make that much heat. A moderate size pool of water will take like a hundred cycles to boil if it was in a vacuumed container. As is, it would all dissipate.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Captain Monkey posted:

Tenebrais posted:

Mierenneuker posted:

You don’t need an entire stable, just a Critter Drop-Off that hasn’t hit its maximum. Just make sure it is in a room, because if you place it outside your base it will count all the (wild) creatures in that outside area. Random dreckos, the occasional morb, pufts.

I'm gonna do a quick little overview of all the ranching stuff in one post because some of it isn't intuitive and there area couple tricks to things that can help a lot. I've said a bunch of this poo poo in random other posts but I'll condense in here and just reference it if needed.

Basic points:
1. All ranched animals expect 12 tiles of space per creature, meaning you can fit 8 creatures per 96 tile ranch without "overcrowding" going active. Pufts need 16 tiles, so only 6 for a working puft ranch. Morbs don't actually give a poo poo about density and cannot be tamed anyway, so you want to pack as many of them into a space as possible and just wall them off.

2. Eggs count as creatures for sensors and such but apply a different debuff now, "cramped", which cuts off new egg production but doesn't do anything w/r/t metabolism or existing egg viability.

3. Overcrowding is too many critters in the same defined space, which lowers their unhappiness by I think -5.

4. Unhappiness is what triggers "glum" which is an 80% reduction to metabolism. This means they eat the same amount but poo poo out 80% less coal or whatever their byproducts are. You can also get glum from not grooming them regularly, so a ranch must be staffed by a rancher to perform grooming to get the extra material out of it. Incubators also require the ranching skill to use.

5. You do not need to tame every animal. Slicksters work just fine in the area you want them eating CO2 without taming them, same with lots of other animals. All wild animals will produce an egg before they die, and most of them don't even need food to get to egg-laying age. Simply moving wild animals into a safe, controlled space is viable unless you really want the coal/slime they produce, since taming is mainly about multiplying their byproduct and egg production a shitload, something like 1000%. Tamed slicksters will eat more CO2 than you think is possible.

6. Dreckos both have phosphorite poop, but also material you shear off their backs, either plastic or reed fiber. Metabolism does not matter for the shearing product, only being exposed to hydrogen.

7. Dreckos need to be fed plants, not plant products, so you need your drecko ranch to have space for both hydrogen and a farm gas.

8. Sweepers can handle loading of food into feeders and picking up animal products an shipping them out to wherever via conveyors.

Most of this is visible somewhere in these few screenshots:

Some useful tricks:
1. You can put critter stations down in any space and use them to wrangle flying creatures or random creatures you don't want in that area without the use of annoying traps or lures. Just don't select any creatures and turn on auto-wrangle. The creature must travel back to the drop-off to be wrangled though, so try to get the animal into a small room first to speed this up.

2. You can set a critter drop-off to accept any animal while setting it to a lower priority than your main ranch drop-offs, and it will only take the auto-wrangled overflow from your main ranches. This dropoff can be literally anywhere, size of the space is not relevant to these, only the ranching stations. You can even make specialized kill rooms where it drops animals into water to drown once a critter sensor is triggered, although it's really annoying with flying creatures though, I recommend just putting it in a small space and dragging a kill command across it every once in a while instead. I recommend turning your main drop-offs up to like 7 and the overflow to 6, so they stay high priority overall. If you don't the dupes will just never move the overflow creatures because it's not a priority on tasking.

3. As with any other structures, you can wire up airlocks to be the surface of a space, and have them activate on a clock sensor to open up the floor. In the case of ranches, you can use this to drop their poop onto the bottom floor, meaning only 1 sweeper to cover everything. Very useful any time you build ranches vertically or they have 2 levels, like drecko ranches.

4. A full manual toilet will spawn morbs every few cycles, have it fill up then set it's priority to 1 or deny access to your dupes for cleaning. It will spawn morbs forever and use can use this in conjunction with pufts but without the critter count of the ranch skyrocketing by meshing off the morb area.

5. You can tie incubators to clock sensors so they are only active for short periods of time during the day. The incubator doesn't actually do anything, just the dupe lullaby interaction. You only need the thing on for as long as the dupes need to interact with it, so you can turn the active time way down and the priority up to minimize power use. Eggs in an inactive incubator still hatch at the same rate as left on the ground.

6. In conjunction with #5, you can store all excess in a storage container in your kitchen, this eliminates any cramped/overcrowding issues and also forces the eggs to decay without hatching, which allows them to crack open into raw egg. Since they're in your kitchen, a sweeper arm can put them in storage or the stove right away. No need to crack eggs manually. The incubator at high priority will ensure you always have at least 1 egg hatching so as to maintain animal stocks.

More screenshots:

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 31, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Ok, it's settled, geoactive volcanea is the best. :v:

Sure, I need 3 aquatuners cooling water pretty much perpetually just to keep my dupes from cooking despite being insulated on all sides but... I hollowed out about a quarter of the asteroid at the bottom, which is now inhabited by 200kg of 200-500 degree steam per square. I can perpetually run at least 8 steam turbines on that, and the pressure isn't even dropping thanks to two water geysers that are in there.

My only problem right now is, my oil pipe shattered because the pump pulled in a bunch of phosphorous, which then turned into gas as it climbed its way up through the steam lmao. OTOH, I did find an oil geyser above my base so I'll just switch to that, it's not like I need a lot of oil since all my power comes from steam.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

Eh, a gold volcano really doesn't make that much heat. A moderate size pool of water will take like a hundred cycles to boil if it was in a vacuumed container. As is, it would all dissipate.

It's been erupting for several cycles and uh, not very impressive so far :shrug:

Truga posted:

Ok, it's settled, geoactive volcanea is the best. :v:

what about ... geaoctive volcanic volcanea? :thunk:

seriously though geoactive is the most interesting map trait by a mile

e: oo it's erupting :neckbeard:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 31, 2019

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Mazz posted:

5. You do not need to tame every animal. Slicksters work just fine in the area you want them eating CO2 without taming them, same with lots of other animals. All wild animals will produce an egg before they die, and most of them don't even need food to get to egg-laying age. Simply moving wild animals into a safe, controlled space is viable unless you really want the coal/slime they produce, since taming is mainly about multiplying their byproduct and egg production a shitload, something like 1000%. Tamed slicksters will eat more CO2 than you think is possible.

Something to point out: wild critters never die of starvation, so you don't have to bother feeding them at all unless you want coal/oil/etc

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 31, 2019

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Flesh Forge posted:

what about ... geaoctive volcanic volcanea? :thunk:

seriously though geoactive is the most interesting map trait by a mile

Geoactive, Magma Channel, Volcanic Volcanea?

10.16kg/sec magma, 15.26kg/sec saltwater.

-edit-
Plus it starts with nearly 20,000 tons of magma.

ragzilla fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 31, 2019

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

if you burn hot hydrogen in a hydrogen generator, where does the heat go?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

if you burn hot hydrogen in a hydrogen generator, where does the heat go?

It is deleted.

I've set up a power generator around a hot hydrogen vent, but bear in mind you'll still need to cool the hydrogen a bit just to get the pump to survive taking it in.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Cycle 1000, still not nearly finished, especially if you include space stuff.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

It is deleted.

I've set up a power generator around a hot hydrogen vent, but bear in mind you'll still need to cool the hydrogen a bit just to get the pump to survive taking it in.

with this cooling setup this seems to be as hot as it ever gets, an eruption just finished and it's near the end of the active cycle :shrug:

that nullifier was gonna be idle otherwise so it's not really costing me anything at all, just a bunch of free hydrogen and power
e: I guess if I was really smart I would have rigged the coolant pipe to boil some water under a steam turbine huh

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 31, 2019

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It's what I'm doing so..yeah! :v: I got a crude oil loop pushing down the temp to the point where a steel pump can suck it in without dying and then having the hydrogen push through a couple HVAC in the same boiling room to bring it down further. That way I can cart it off safely to the hydrogen generators without causing it to heat up. If I were a smarter person I'd move the gens deeper into a machine boil room, keep their operating temps capped by turbines and not have to HVAC anymore.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Every time I get super pissed at some mechanic in this game I end up restarting and playing a new base that’s more efficient and for slightly more cycles than the last one took to go sour.

I believe this is what most people call enjoying the game. I begrudgingly accept. (Heat diffusion and mechanics are still really annoying, though.)

Only quit and restart on a new map when you absolutely have to. Do everything in your power to salvage your current map, even if it means save scumming / losing a few dupes / things being poo poo for a few cycles. 100% you'll burn yourself out on this game so fast without even reaching the enjoyable parts cause you'll be sick and tired of going through the motions of starting a base for the nth time.

I'm trying to set my electrolyzer to pump all my hot O2 into a gas reservoir, which then enters a thermo regulator cooling loop, until it reaches a cold enough temperature to be sent out to my base. I'm running into lots of issues, the main one being: the electrolyzer keeps filling the gas reservoir up until the entire cooling loop is backed up. How do I prevent this?

Qubee fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 1, 2019

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Move the Gas Shutoff and sensor down one tile so it is part of the loop instead of being on a branch. Otherwise that gas packet waiting at the shutoff isn't actually the temperature you want. Also have a loop separate from what goes directly into the buffer. Otherwise the new gas is adding its temperature to the average temp in the buffer and makes it difficult to bring out cold gas without a backup.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 1, 2019

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

So I have an autosweeper and auto dispenser playing hot potato with 500C metric ton chunks of refined gold :allears:

eventually the ice they're sitting on will melt and they'll just cool off but it's funny to watch

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

CainFortea posted:

The only "exploity" thing is chlorine de-germing liquid in a container. Which the poster I was showing this to has already accepted as something he wants to use.

The bridge priority thing just fill the containers. Once they are full, the liquid goes through the pipes to the next bridge triggering the sensor. Once the sensor detects fluid, it opens the valve letting some fluid out, thus opening space into the containers. It just does that basically forever as long as the power is on.

The bridge priority thing is the part I don't quite understand, how does pipe priority work when you have bridges connected like your screenshot? It seems to make little sense, do liquids always prefer the bridge but continue on if the bridge is backed up? I know that you can also make super efficient filters for both gasses and liquids with this method but I don't understand the design or why it works.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Going off memory but I think heat transfer from items to the floor is pretty poo poo. I think you need either temp shift plates or a liquid of some sort in that tile along with the metal.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah well when you have 15 tons of very hot gold it picks up speed (rearranged things a bit and also made the autosweeper out of steel)

it's looking like stuff is happening now :woop:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Fano posted:

The bridge priority thing is the part I don't quite understand, how does pipe priority work when you have bridges connected like your screenshot? It seems to make little sense, do liquids always prefer the bridge but continue on if the bridge is backed up? I know that you can also make super efficient filters for both gasses and liquids with this method but I don't understand the design or why it works.

Pipe contents will always try their hardest to get into an "intake" port. Bridges can prioritize branches off of a pipe as contents will always take that path if it is available. However, on the "output" side of the bridge, contents of the pipe take precedent over the bridge. So if you've got a pipe with moving contents and no space for new content to join, the bridge won't let it's contents into the full pipe. But as soon as a space opens up, the bridge will allow whatever is trying to move across to merge.

These images show it better than I can explain. I basically want this gas reservoir to always be maintained at the same level (so I stock it with gas beforehand then start it on the cooling loop). This is important because gas reservoirs average the temp of whatever it holds, so it makes cooling more uniform. To achieve this, I have the hot oxygen coming in from the right, and a gas shutoff that only opens when gas leaves the cooling loop (to the base). To stop the cooling loop gases from blocking incoming gases (to restock, which is important!), I connect the cooling loop to the input pipe of the gas reservoir. The cooled gas will politely wait whilst the hot gas restocks the reservoir.

PS: please ignore how ugly and inefficient that design is. I'm just pissing about in sandbox.

I'm a dumbass, should just reference pic that confused you in the first place:

Liquid comes in following the pink line, fills up the first reservoir, then the second, then the third. All reservoirs are now full, causing a backup and nowhere for liquid to go. The first bridge is blocked, so liquid will carry on the pipe (if you look closely, you can see the pipe continues after the bottom bridge's intake port), hit the liquid sensor (red) and then attempt to go into the [blocked] bridge. This liquid sensor will then send an automatic signal to the gas shutoff (also red) which allows water to flow out, whilst instantly topping the reservoirs back up.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 1, 2019

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Instead of getting over my addiction of restarting over and over again, I installed a mod that increases the max time speed up to 6x from the standard max of 3x, you can go all the way up to 10x but the game apperently gets unstable and does weird physics things at that level so I stuck to 6x and I've had zero problems (that I know of) 200 cycles in, honestly cannot imagine playing the game any other way now

Mod in question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

oh game :allears: