Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

get it before it runs out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Cryengine looks really really good and if you don't know any better, you might wanna use it based on demos.

Its a steaming pile of poo poo though when you have to work with it.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Baxta posted:

Cryengine looks really really good and if you don't know any better, you might wanna use it based on demos.

Its a steaming pile of poo poo though when you have to work with it.

It's interesting though.

1) Crytek has no money and is dead and CryEngine sucks and is terrible and bad.

2) Crytek sues CIG.

3) Cryengine suddenly gets cool new stuff.

HMMM.

CIG was right and Crytek stole their fidelity after all.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT
Can't wait until Chris announces he switches back from Lumberyard to Cryrekt.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUyWwqY-pYc&t=115s

Stolen from Star Engine :argh:

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

No word of a lie. ALL their bullshit about OCS is in the new versions of cryengine. Its hilarious.

Even if they DID take it from "star engine", thats totally fine under their agreement to submit improvements to cryengine.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Baxta posted:

No word of a lie. ALL their bullshit about OCS is in the new versions of cryengine. Its hilarious.

Is it really? I have no idea about CE stuff but that would be hilarious indeed.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

If you add [NOT IMPLEMENTED] after each mention of a thing that doesn't exist yet, this missive would be twice as long.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

DarkDobe posted:

They are indeed...

And for some reason have decided to throw out everything that made the game enjoyable and unique (clunky, satisfying, hard to handle weapons and purposeful combat) - for favour of what I at my most generous have to call 'console appeal', or at least some misguided attempt to snag CoD fanboys. Weapon sway that made aiming meticulous and rewarding? Gone. Atrocious new 'console optimized' UI? You bet! Microtransactions? Got 'em! It feels like a dumbed down milquetoast backpedal on what had been a unique and enjoyable wild-west horror shooter.

But yes, they're releasing it.

Watched jackfrags play this on YouTube a few times. Not my type of game but he seems to enjoy it.

I am not a software engineer.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr Fronts posted:

If you add [NOT IMPLEMENTED] after each mention of a thing that doesn't exist yet, this missive would be twice as long.

Citizens love to talk about the future in present tense. It makes it appear as though they have a game.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
At least the 890 Jump is in the game!

890J SHIPS IN HANGARS DISAPPEAR

quote:

EXPECTED RESULT

Ships should persist at least through game session, eventually permanently

890J - REMOTE TURRETS POWER BUTTON TURNS OFF THE ENTIRE SHIP

UNABLE TO SCAN ANYTHING ELSE IN 890J WHEN SHIP IN HANGAR

quote:

- Start scanning process
- Only object that can be scanned (in detail) is the ship in your own hangar

THE 890 JUMP EVA HATCH ON BOTH SIDES HAS A REPEATING TWO-LAYER MODEL, WHICH MAKES IT IMPOSSIBLE TO GO OUT AFTER OPENING THE DOOR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XalsaXBAhtU

890J HANGAR CAN CAPTURE SHIPS

890J BRIDGE MUSICAL CHAIRS

quote:

ACTUAL RESULT

your character rapidly goes between seats swapping seats about every half second and you are unable to exit either seat

FELL THROUGH WOOD-EFFECT FLOOR IN SAUNA CHANGING AREA

WINE GLASSES FALL OUT OF THE 890 JUMP

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MedicineHut posted:

Not entirely sure, but IIRC, when CIG were boasting about 64bit or something like that a few years ago, it was already implemented in the then new version of CryEngine.

There again, CIG boasted about adding inverse kinematics into StarEngine years ago, when it actually was already part of the version of CryEngine they were using.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

MedicineHut posted:

Yup they do layer streaming

https://docs.cryengine.com/display/CEMANUAL/Layer+Streaming+Optimization

and occlusion

https://docs.cryengine.com/display/CEMANUAL/Occlusion+Mesh+%28OCM%29+Optimization

They don't use CIG terminology because no one does.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

:laffo:

I do not think shitizens are aware. Or maybe they are but still dismiss it as low fidelity?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

StarRekt :smug:

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

MedicineHut posted:

:laffo:

I do not think shitizens are aware. Or maybe they are but still dismiss it as low fidelity?

I pointed it out years ago and got downvoted into oblivion because CIG can do no wrong.

I think this is their object linking and or container system (OCS) its been a while

https://docs.cryengine.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=36866230

EDIT: Even Unity does all that stuff these days. Unreal has been doing it for ages.

Baxta fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Aug 30, 2019

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I mean, that left target dummy just after 1:12 doesn't seem to cast any shadows or block the blue light reflection on the floor in their dynamic area lights scene, so that might count as cryrekt.
I did like some of the forest/jungle scenes with sunlight shafts filtering down towards the water, but that seems like the one thing CryEngine tends to do pretty well.

If it wasn't for Bethesda seemingly trying to jam multiplayer into their upcoming RPGs, I would suggest they work with Crytek for some upcoming Elder Scrolls game. It would have ended up appropriately janky and weird for a Bethesda game but might at least have trees and characters that don't look 5+ years out of date.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Regrettable posted:

What the gently caress does this even mean? How do you streamline a diffuse map? Yell at your artists to work faster? Also, normal maps are automatically generated. You just take a low poly mesh and a high poly mesh and bake the normal. :psyboom:

Robert's has refactored normal.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Baxta posted:

I pointed it out years ago and got downvoted into oblivion because CIG can do no wrong.

I think this is their object linking and or container system (OCS) its been a while

https://docs.cryengine.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=36866230

EDIT: Even Unity does all that stuff these days. Unreal has been doing it for ages.

Yeah but those systems do not have the same fidelity SC offers. gently caress you.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Whenever I see a Star Citizen backer post about how many ships they have I want to mentally add √- before the number, since the ships are all imaginary anyway.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

MedicineHut posted:

Yeah but those systems do not have the same fidelity SC offers. gently caress you.

I am dismissed.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bofast posted:

Whenever I see a Star Citizen backer post about how many ships they have I want to mentally add √- before the number, since the ships are all imaginary anyway.

Even if they were real it's roughly equivalent to bragging about how much Train Simulator DLC you own.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baxta posted:

I am dismissed.

We all are. The backers have constantly proven how we are wrong in all regards.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Even if they were real it's roughly equivalent to bragging about how much Train Simulator DLC you own.

What if the Train Simulator DLC number is 0, though? :thunk:

If I had been one of the Train Simulator devs I would be very happy that Star Citizen's 5 digit ship packs make my nine thousand dollars of various DLC packs look comparatively reasonable

Baxta posted:

I am dismissed.

Space Court is in recess until an individual can be located with the ability to translate the hand motions of the individual known as Chris Roberts.

Bofast fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 30, 2019

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Alan Smithee posted:

get it before it runs out

I do wonder, how they are going to charge for the new stuff. Even before the tariffs, they already charged huge shipping costs over the chinese stuff, which we assumed was driven by profit.

Maybe they will increase the price and bring it all from a different country now.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Why the gently caress isn’t Star Citizen on this list?

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-pc-gamer-top-100-now/

loving PC LAMER HACK FUDsters probably bought off by Derek Shart.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SabinBlitz posted:

Elite: Dangerous is though :yarg:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

JugbandDude posted:

I do wonder, how they are going to charge for the new stuff. Even before the tariffs, they already charged huge shipping costs over the chinese stuff, which we assumed was driven by profit.

Maybe they will increase the price and bring it all from a different country now.

Bet it would be cheaper to order the stuff from Wilmslow or Frankfurt and send it out from there. Thus, Store Citizer will not do that.

Pixelante, you are a goddamned hero bringing us the bug reports on a regular basis! :pgabz:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

SabinBlitz posted:

In that list you have the following "space sims" or "space games":

Kerbal
EVE
Mass Effect 2
Galactic Civilization 2
Homeworld Remastered
Elite Dangerous

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Sarsapariller posted:

Inside Star Citizen

Watching a 12 minute show so you don't have to!

This week's synopsis:
* Now some actual content, UI team interviews. Zane Bien, the UI person, still exists despite being an abject failure at basically every aspect of the UI he has designed.

Hot drat, he's still there? Who could have ever imagined that your in-game UI would be total poo poo when you hire a kid out of school who has never worked on a game before in his life. I can only imagine the frustration felt by any of the people who are working under his supervision.

I do note that his title changed from Global UI Creative Director to Principal UI Core Tech Developer (what a tortured title that is) in the last 4 months. It's difficult to infer anything from job titles but it appears to indicate that they have finally realized he is bad at designing UIs and have moved him on to more of the tech side of it. That transition from Flash/Scaleform should go super fast now.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
It's pretty exciting that CR is coding 10+hr / day on the physics "refactor"

He absolved himself of the terrible burden of being a rockstar coder CEO who doesn't code and instead micromanages every aspect of this project, including estimating and scheduling devs' work months in advance, doing so assuming he'd be the one doing the work and therefore won't take long at all, and throwing his teams under the bus when they literally miss every target that they had no control over, micromanaging every little thing, and obsessing about NPCs wearing multiple jackets and snoopy caps and mocapping a loving bartender in a static scene just mixing drinks (lmao actual mocapped ocean waves are next probably, that fake poster was prophetic)

Now that he's back coding, they will hit every one of their targets and this game will be so much better than its peers, which include such titles as Elite Dangerous (2014, a 5 year old game now lmao)

Assuming he's actually coding (lol), I'd pay good money to be able to see a feed of his Google searches

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

I hope you are keeping all those posts where shitizens claim the main reason they prefer SC over Elite is the ability to walk around. When Elite releases their FPS next year it is going to be hilarious to read the mental gymnastics to justify SC is still better somehow.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
FPS in space games make little sense. People usually want to play one or the other, so forcing someone to play something they don't want means Mueller just aren't going ti play your stupid game. (If/when it comes out)

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

SabinBlitz posted:

MedicineHut posted:

In that list you have the following "space sims" or "space games":

Kerbal
EVE
Mass Effect 2
Galactic Civilization 2
Homeworld Remastered
Elite Dangerous
Kerbal Space Program Complete = $24.70
EVE = free2play ($15/month subscription)
Mass Effect 2 Deluxe = $30
Galactic Civilization 2 = $20
Homeworld Remastered = $5.30
Elite Dangerous Commander Deluxe = $30

Total cost = $110

Star Citizen Minelayer jpeg DLC, doesn't include game = $675
:ughh:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Lladre posted:

FPS in space games make little sense. People usually want to play one or the other, so forcing someone to play something they don't want means Mueller just aren't going ti play your stupid game. (If/when it comes out)

I dont actually care if they loving play it or not. I just want to read the mental gymnastics with a nice cuppa.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

AlbieQuirky posted:

Pixelante, you are a goddamned hero bringing us the bug reports on a regular basis! :pgabz:

No worries! There's always more...

Figured Sarsa would like examples of the hanger just hanging too :jerky:

Lladre posted:

There are plenty of multi-vehicular FPS games that turned out solid. So long as they keep a tight focus and... oh ok, yes, drat...

(PS is the cat's arse just sticking out of the sink then?)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

"90% of the economy is driven by NPCs"

(There is no economy whatsoever, there are no NPCs, there are no plans to have NPCs drive the economy, and it definitely isn't implemented)

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MedicineHut posted:

I hope you are keeping all those posts where shitizens claim the main reason they prefer SC over Elite is the ability to walk around. When Elite releases their FPS next year it is going to be hilarious to read the mental gymnastics to justify SC is still better somehow.

They already have their excuses ready. Already had this disucssion.

History is rewritten by the victors and the backers are obviously the winners in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pixelate posted:

No worries! There's always more...

Figured Sarsa would like examples of the hanger just hanging too :jerky:

There are plenty of multi-vehicular FPS games that turned out solid. So long as they keep a tight focus and... oh ok, yes, drat...

(PS is the cat's arse just sticking out of the sink then?)

The cat was indeed rear end in the air. but the story, as I read it, she was freed with no harm other than it's cat dignity.

And yes you have vehicles in FPS games, but you're not getting space trading and foot combat , eve came closest when they rolled out dust, but that was still two separate games.