Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
As a dev my options are: push for a union when I have a non-zero number of Trumpets and business owners in my shop, or I can keep my head down for the health insurance so I don't die when my cancer comes back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah despite knowing all that, if I didn't have my current job I'd still take a game dev position at a AAA studio in a heart beat.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

This is extremely unsurprising and I'd expect anyone important enough to have a PR and/or legal department to have a shitlist.xlsx containing anyone of note who ever said something insufficiently nice about them.

The solution is to have a powerful state so that the public interest gets to kick their poo poo in.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

When I co-designed the mobile game "The Dozens" (yes, the one with the Wayans in 2004 ... a card game based on "Yo Momma" insults ... it supported a SMS version, as well as the fancy J2ME, Brew and a lesser WAP version).

I still have the SMS insults.

This: Yo mama’s so fat, she pulls up a chair to an all-u-can-eat buffet.

Became: F@ puLz ^a chAr 2 allUcanEat buffet

Or: Yo mama’s so old, she drove a chariot to high school.

Became: old she drove chariot 2 hI skul

Allowed for a 4 card game.

But the winner of the best SMS game was the 'shooter' BotFighers. In Moscow that game was clearing about $500k a month. It was a "see who's around and fire first" thing that worked because the servers would get position info from cell towers. Brilliant.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

They actually used the word "tattle"! :allears:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

suck my woke dick posted:

This is extremely unsurprising and I'd expect anyone important enough to have a PR and/or legal department to have a shitlist.xlsx containing anyone of note who ever said something insufficiently nice about them.

The solution is to have a powerful state so that the public interest gets to kick their poo poo in.

The scandal is that they used a Word document.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Richard Nixon just had an enemies list, but at least he tried to be as subtle as he was able to be regarding that. Which, granted, isn't subtle at all but its existence didn't come out until the Watergate hearings.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

quote:

Nulty says there are privacy concerns. And he asks, what's next? Will cities hire companies to check that if you buy a sink at Home Depot, that you've got any required plumbing permits?

Why yes, housing is exactly the same thing as putting in a new sink.

Also, having spent a good amount of time in the Crappy Construction and OSHA threads, it might be a good idea to check that people installing poo poo in their houses actually know what they're doing and have the right permits.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
The Bro Culture is strong at many game companies:

Game developers, composer named in sexual assaults:

https://boingboing.net/2019/08/28/game-developers-composer-name.html

Jeremy Soule, the composer of game soundtracks such as Morrowind and Total Annihilation, was named by developer Natalie Lawhead as having raped her when the two worked together in 2008. Following her post, other game developers spoke out about having been assaulted by their peers, with Alex Holowka (Night in the Woods) and Luc Shelton (Gears of War) among the accused. At The Verge, Andrew Webster suggests that #MeToo may have finally reached the insular game-dev community.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Not surprising given how much game devs treat their employees like garbage overall that sexual harassment and rape isn't considered worth responding to.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

VideoGameVet posted:

The Bro Culture is strong at many game companies:

Game developers, composer named in sexual assaults:

https://boingboing.net/2019/08/28/game-developers-composer-name.html

Jeremy Soule, the composer of game soundtracks such as Morrowind and Total Annihilation, was named by developer Natalie Lawhead as having raped her when the two worked together in 2008. Following her post, other game developers spoke out about having been assaulted by their peers, with Alex Holowka (Night in the Woods) and Luc Shelton (Gears of War) among the accused. At The Verge, Andrew Webster suggests that #MeToo may have finally reached the insular game-dev community.

Just remember these men picked their targets through the hiring process. They literally hired people they wanted to gently caress.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Why yes, housing is exactly the same thing as putting in a new sink.

Also, having spent a good amount of time in the Crappy Construction and OSHA threads, it might be a good idea to check that people installing poo poo in their houses actually know what they're doing and have the right permits.

As the roof to my apartment is currently leaking because someone did some unsanctioned plumbing work on their apartment above mine (this is the plumber's guess, he's still looking for the root problem), yeah, it'd be loving amazing if you had to actually get a permit to install a new sink.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Every home improvement forum on the internet always has threads with Boomers complaining about gubbermint regulations making them get permits and every one ends with an actual contractor experienced professional coming in and telling them the regs exist because you people are idiots who don't know what you're doing but try anyways.

edit: "contractors" =/= experienced professionals

ryonguy fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 30, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ryonguy posted:

Every home improvement forum on the internet always has threads with Boomers complaining about gubbermint regulations making them get permits and every one ends with an actual contractor coming in and telling them the regs exist because you people are idiots who don't know what you're doing but try anyways.

In my former code-enforcement life you could ALWAYS tell who these people were from like the very beginning. For inspections I used to open with "Hi! I'm from the government. I'm here to help."

Most of them were not amused. But I was, and that's what matters.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

ryonguy posted:

Every home improvement forum on the internet always has threads with Boomers complaining about gubbermint regulations making them get permits and every one ends with an actual contractor coming in and telling them the regs exist because you people are idiots who don't know what you're doing but try anyways.

To be fair, at least around here, contractors violate the poo poo out of regulations and licensing. Either they are operating under shell companies with no assets so they just dissolve and reform a new shell, or they just tack the fines onto the sale price of the properties they're working on. Also they tend to rent the properties for 2 years before selling so they are clear of any liability as to the quality of any new work they did.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Our landlord's son is an electrician.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tesla fucks up disrupts! auto insurance.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Tesla fucks up disrupts! auto insurance.

Tesla's cars might be more expensive (on average) to insure than the general pool of all cars in CA (where they are opening the insurance business) because Teslas are more expensive than average, because they have to be repaired more often, because the auto insurance industry is cautious about the cost of insuring a relatively new product. Tesla might actually be able to compete on some of those terms because they do the majority of repairs to their cars and will probably not gouge their cousin companies, they have better data on Tesla repair rates, whatever. There are legitimate advantages Tesla might pursue. BUT

To manage risk in an insurance pool, you want to diversify. You want all kinds of drivers (as long as they aren't crazy) and all kinds of cars that live all over the state. Tesla insuring only Teslas doesn't have this, so they are taking a relatively large risk that nothing bad happens to their higher-than-average-correlation risk pool. This means that insurance is probably a loss leader for selling more cars (by reducing the cost of ownership) where the company takes on a bunch of extra risk.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MickeyFinn posted:

Tesla's cars might be more expensive (on average) to insure than the general pool of all cars in CA (where they are opening the insurance business) because Teslas are more expensive than average, because they have to be repaired more often, because the auto insurance industry is cautious about the cost of insuring a relatively new product. Tesla might actually be able to compete on some of those terms because they do the majority of repairs to their cars and will probably not gouge their cousin companies, they have better data on Tesla repair rates, whatever. There are legitimate advantages Tesla might pursue. BUT

To manage risk in an insurance pool, you want to diversify. You want all kinds of drivers (as long as they aren't crazy) and all kinds of cars that live all over the state. Tesla insuring only Teslas doesn't have this, so they are taking a relatively large risk that nothing bad happens to their higher-than-average-correlation risk pool. This means that insurance is probably a loss leader for selling more cars (by reducing the cost of ownership) where the company takes on a bunch of extra risk.

They're just reselling insurance products from regular car insurers.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Motronic posted:

In my former code-enforcement life you could ALWAYS tell who these people were from like the very beginning. For inspections I used to open with "Hi! I'm from the government. I'm here to help."

Most of them were not amused. But I was, and that's what matters.

Thanks to your avatar I'm imagining Ron Swanson say that which makes it better

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

They're just reselling insurance products from regular car insurers.

How can you buy insurance from other companies, sell it for less, and expect to make money? Are they planning to “make it up in volume”? Also, none of that changes my argument, except that it adds the real insurer’s premium to Tesla’s costs. Maybe they are limiting pay outs by the ultimate insurer and gambling on that?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

MickeyFinn posted:

How can you buy insurance from other companies, sell it for less, and expect to make money? Are they planning to “make it up in volume”? Also, none of that changes my argument, except that it adds the real insurer’s premium to Tesla’s costs. Maybe they are limiting pay outs by the ultimate insurer and gambling on that?

my guess is that they are trying to deal with high wait times for repairs by loaning insured drivers unsold teslas

also, captive market for tesla fanatics who are already proven to just buy whatever garbage elon throws at them

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/jbillinson/status/1167446484599660544?s=21
lol

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cant they just google 3 x 8 = and get an answer

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Jesus, executives are just incapable of relating to anything on a human level. I can imagine layers of workers snickering as they implemented this.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Or the calculator built into their phone.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Ruffian Price posted:

Jesus, executives are just incapable of relating to anything on a human level. I can imagine layers of workers snickering as they implemented this.

No, this is intentional. They shot down the idea of having it be a password at every level and I guarantee two people minimum have been written up for thoughts contrary to the mission of Youtube Kids.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 30, 2019

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I was under the impression that Youtube Kids' main problem is that most people don't know it exists and send their kids roaming on regular youtube instead. Maybe try to address that before even thinking about locking down the platform further?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

EdithUpwards posted:

No, this is intentional. They shot down the idea of having it be a password at every level and I guarantee two people minimum have been written up for thoughts contrary to the mission of Youtube Kids.

How would a password prompt keep kids out either?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

fishmech posted:

How would a password prompt keep kids out either?

It would be the parent's password and the kid's account would be attached to a parent's account. Of course, any effective way of gating it is counter to the real purpose of Youtube kids. Youtube Kids is for targeted advertisement and the really annoying/creepy children's entertainment channels.

The ones that pause so kids can reply.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 30, 2019

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Sextro posted:

To be fair, at least around here, contractors violate the poo poo out of regulations and licensing. Either they are operating under shell companies with no assets so they just dissolve and reform a new shell, or they just tack the fines onto the sale price of the properties they're working on. Also they tend to rent the properties for 2 years before selling so they are clear of any liability as to the quality of any new work they did.

Same around here, edited post to be more accurate.

ryonguy fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 30, 2019

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

MickeyFinn posted:

Your question is purely hypothetical since it appears the rates they quote are significantly more expensive

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

EdithUpwards posted:

It would be the parent's password and the kid's account would be attached

Right so it wouldn't work, just like kids frequently figure out their parents' phone unlock codes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Why bother with the math question at that point?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Plausible deniability

They don't want to block the kids they just want to pretend they're doing something

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Pochoclo posted:

Plausible deniability

They don't want to block the kids they just want to pretend they're doing something

This is correct. The kids are ad revenue, period.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Or watch a you tube kids video on basic multiplication

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

fishmech posted:

Right so it wouldn't work, just like kids frequently figure out their parents' phone unlock codes.

Hackers figure out people's passwords too, so it is a wonder why banks even require the stupid things; amirite or what

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Why bother with the math question at that point?

It's clearly not what the intent was here, but from an edutainment perspective, it's basically a perfect product. If kids are going to successfully bypass whatever system you put in place sooner or later, might as well make it so that bypassing it teaches the kid something useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

fishmech posted:

You know, I didn't think I would be interested in the answer to this question, but now I really am... How comparable do you think the percentages are of a) computer savvy kids who can answer 3 x 8 vs. b) kids who guess their parent's passwords? Be specific please