Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
There was a Stephen king novella sort of about this. Can't remember the name but it came out last year or early this year. Bout a guy who loses weight, but not mass. He's not getting skinnier, he's built the same, just getting lighter over time until he starts to float around.

It was an interesting concept but got a little too weirdly "woke" in a side plot involving lesbians who open a vegan? restaurant and how the town hates them. Still a neat read though. I remember thinking how loving weird it was to read a King book that was sort of a feel good story instead of a monster/creepy poo poo story.

I'm trying to remember one, and I might be just combining multiple plots from books by mistake, but all I can remember is it's a book about some explorers in the jungle, and there's a cave or something where they find these people living there, and there's this golden goop that heals stuff and regrows limbs and whatnot but there's "monsters" in a lower cave that are the result of the goop not fixing poo poo but mutating people into creatures.

I thought it was Amazonia by Rollins but after a re read that's not the book, while it does have magic goop, there's no people monster things.

Sorry to be so vague. I think I read this as an ebook maybe 5-10+ years ago. I got the impression it was an actual published book and not a self pub via Kindle/Amazon.

I know it's not much to go on but it's all I can recall at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

There was a Stephen king novella sort of about this. Can't remember the name but it came out last year or early this year. Bout a guy who loses weight, but not mass. He's not getting skinnier, he's built the same, just getting lighter over time until he starts to float around.

It was an interesting concept but got a little too weirdly "woke" in a side plot involving lesbians who open a vegan? restaurant and how the town hates them. Still a neat read though. I remember thinking how loving weird it was to read a King book that was sort of a feel good story instead of a monster/creepy poo poo story.

I'm trying to remember one, and I might be just combining multiple plots from books by mistake, but all I can remember is it's a book about some explorers in the jungle, and there's a cave or something where they find these people living there, and there's this golden goop that heals stuff and regrows limbs and whatnot but there's "monsters" in a lower cave that are the result of the goop not fixing poo poo but mutating people into creatures.

I thought it was Amazonia by Rollins but after a re read that's not the book, while it does have magic goop, there's no people monster things.

Sorry to be so vague. I think I read this as an ebook maybe 5-10+ years ago. I got the impression it was an actual published book and not a self pub via Kindle/Amazon.

I know it's not much to go on but it's all I can recall at the moment.

I think it was his son, Joe Hill. A collection of short stories, but can't remember what it was called.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Elevation

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

That's rather derivative.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Truth_About_Pyecraft

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Someone on these forums once posted a portion of some sci-fi story where the protagonist gains the ability to see in 4 dimensions. The description of their new sight was really neat. I'm looking for the name of the book and if anyone has it, that specific portion.

Edit: If it helps I vaguely remember that the character is on an alien ship or perhaps on a human ship somewhere in space. They get some object or something that allows them to see in 4D and describe seeing everything including their own body in a new light.

bowser fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 30, 2019

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

bowser posted:

Someone on these forums once posted a portion of some sci-fi story where the protagonist gains the ability to see in 4 dimensions. The description of their new sight was really neat. I'm looking for the name of the book and if anyone has it, that specific portion.

Might be Rudy Rucker's Spaceland?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

bowser posted:

'The Universe Between' by Alan Nourse?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

How long ago is "once"?

The third Three Body Problem book (by Cixin Liu, 2010) has a lot of dimensionality fuckery, including narrated point of view experiences.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Does the dude go mad at the end?

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

How long ago is "once"?

The third Three Body Problem book (by Cixin Liu, 2010) has a lot of dimensionality fuckery, including narrated point of view experiences.

I think this is it! Unfortunately I read the first book in this series (I think because of that quoted fourth dimension segment) and found it really underwhelming and hard to get through. The author is a master of describing scenes that are really fun to visualize but his characters are completely flat and the endless exposition sucked out any remaining enjoyment.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

bowser posted:

I think this is it! Unfortunately I read the first book in this series (I think because of that quoted fourth dimension segment) and found it really underwhelming and all around not fun to read. The author is a master of describing scenes that are really fun to visualize but his characters are completely flat and the endless exposition sucked out any remaining enjoyment.

Agreed, the characters aren't very good but tbf the first book is by far the weakest, and yea it gets badly infodumpy in the last half. Liu is kinda like a Greg Egan, more about the ideas and concepts than engaging characters.

The second and third ones are much less expository and I liked them a lot more, plus the ideas get a lot wilder. The wallfacers are a fun concept, and the dark forest is pretty scary tbh.

imo its worth powering through the first one to get to the others.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Krankenstyle posted:

Agreed, the characters aren't very good but tbf the first book is by far the weakest, and yea it gets badly infodumpy in the last half. Liu is kinda like a Greg Egan, more about the ideas and concepts than engaging characters.

The second and third ones are much less expository and I liked them a lot more, plus the ideas get a lot wilder. The wallfacers are a fun concept, and the dark forest is pretty scary tbh.

imo its worth powering through the first one to get to the others.

Dang I had the opposite reaction. I really liked the first book and rushed to pick up the second but could barely slog through and didn’t bother with the third.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Unkempt posted:

An old SF book, 60s or around there. It starts in a magazine office, National Geographic or Nature or something, and they're trying to find their oldest subscriber; someone notices that there's a guy who's had a subscription for around a hundred years. They think it's probably several generations of people with the same name but go and meet him anyway, and of course it turns out it's just one man who's been getting it all that time, and after that I can't remember a thing about the book. Anyone?

Holy poo poo this is over 10 years old. I found it last week, it was 'Way Station' by Clifford D Simak and my description was wrong in all sorts of ways.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Biplane posted:

Does the dude go mad at the end?

Don't they all?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've thought about this short story for some time, and damned if I can remember any pronouns to search for it:

A bunch of scientists are secreted away to some lab, where a scientist has revealed hes discovered a time-watching machine. He explains that the thing functions like a clacker-ball toy. It'll be here, then bounce back in time a billion years, then come back to here, bounce backwards a million years, come back, bounce back a thousand years, yadda yadda yadda, until it comes back with pictures of every time period it wound up in.

One of the scientists is actually a journalist, a woman, who asks the scientist your standard what-if-anything-goes-wrong question. This causes friction with the assembled group, because she's a journalist (who snuck in? Was related to someone on the project? I can't remember), and a woman. The head scientist guy says nothing will go wrong, activating the machine.

The story explains how the device went back a billion years, knocking a random particle or six off course. When it came back and went backwards a million years in time, it displaced some microbe. Came back, thousand years backwards, did something, etc etc, until it stopped back in normal time.

Cut to everyone in the place turning to goo (or something), and while the goo-people scatter (with some implication that they've always been Goo People), the Head Goo Scientist going "see? nothing bad happened!"

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 6, 2019

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

MisterBibs posted:

I've thought about this short story for some time, and damned if I can remember any pronouns to search for it:

A bunch of scientists are secreted away to some lab, where a scientist has revealed hes discovered a time-watching machine. He explains that the thing functions like a clacker-ball toy. It'll be here, then bounce back in time a billion years, then come back to here, bounce backwards a million years, come back, bounce back a thousand years, yadda yadda yadda, until it comes back with pictures of every time period it wound up in.

One of the scientists is actually a journalist, a woman, who asks the scientist your standard what-if-anything-goes-wrong question. This causes friction with the assembled group, because she's a journalist (who snuck in? Was related to someone on the project? I can't remember), and a woman. The head scientist guy says nothing will go wrong, activating the machine.

The story explains how the device went back a billion years, knocking a random particle or six off course. When it came back and went backwards a million years in time, it displaced some microbe. Came back, thousand years backwards, did something, etc etc, until it stopped back in normal time.

Cut to everyone in the place turning to goo (or something), and while the goo-people scatter (with some implication that they've always been Goo People), the Head Goo Scientist going "see? nothing bad happened!"

Kiiind of like R A Lafferty's Thus We Frustrate Charlemagne, but I think I remember something closer as well. Drawing a blank on more details ATM though.

You can google chunks of the Lafferty and see if it seems familiar - the opening line is:

quote:

'We've been on some tall ones," said Gregory Smirnov of the Institute, "but we've never stood on the edge of a bigger one than this, nor viewed one with shakier expectations. Still, if the calculations of Epiktistes are correct, this will work."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Expecting no one to know this, since it's such a nothing piece of information, but this bit from a book popped into my head, and now it's an itch I can't scratch.

All I remember is a bullwhip with a gold coin that was inset on the bottom of the handle.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

I've thought about this short story for some time, and damned if I can remember any pronouns to search for it

”Brooklyn Project” by William Tenn.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 6, 2019

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I’m looking for a children’s short story I would listen to on cassette when I was little, around October. It features a kid (or maybe a couple of kids?) who investigate the neighborhood’s notorious haunted house, get thoroughly spooked by weirdness, and then discover that it’s actually just the cover for an intergalactic travel hub. A friendly alien walks them through the place, shows them how all the phenomena they’ve experienced are just illusions designed to keep nosy humans away, and basically gives them a tour of a spaceport. I vaguely remember a scene where they’re at a restaurant or bar, and if memory serves, the kids are drinking a weird alien concoction that is a bunch of different flavors that changes as you drink it, which sounded like the coolest thing ever to six-year-old me.

Does anyone else remember this thing, or have the vaguest idea what it might be called?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Davros1 posted:

Expecting no one to know this, since it's such a nothing piece of information, but this bit from a book popped into my head, and now it's an itch I can't scratch.

All I remember is a bullwhip with a gold coin that was inset on the bottom of the handle.
That makes me think of By the Great Horn Spoon by Sid Fleischman. But I think that might be me conflating with the movie version (Bullwhip Griffin) butler keeping gold dust in his gloves.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Thank you so much! :unsmith:

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

wheatpuppy posted:

That makes me think of By the Great Horn Spoon by Sid Fleischman. But I think that might be me conflating with the movie version (Bullwhip Griffin) butler keeping gold dust in his gloves.

He had gold dust in his gloves in the book, too! Man, I forgot all about that book but I loved it as a kid!

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Sid Fleischman is great.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I have a copy of The Ghost in the Noonday Sun on my shelves but still haven't read it -- I'll have to dig it out sometime.

As for the bullwhip with the gold coin, the only thing I can think of is Geoffrey Marsh (aka Charles L. Grant)'s Lincoln Blackthorne series, which starred a globetrotting adventurer blatantly copied from Indiana Jones to the point of using a whip. I don't recall the gold coin specifically, though.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's a kid's story, kind of Astrid Lindgren-ish but more messed up. Two brothers (no this is not The Brothers Lionheart) are in some kind of fantasy land, separated and taken in by different groups. I distinctly remember the one brother being in a group that was put in eggs, to be eaten by those who took in the other brother.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's a kid's story, kind of Astrid Lindgren-ish but more messed up. Two brothers (no this is not The Brothers Lionheart) are in some kind of fantasy land, separated and taken in by different groups. I distinctly remember the one brother being in a group that was put in eggs, to be eaten by those who took in the other brother.

This sounds similar to Joy Chant's Red Moon and Black Mountain, although that has a sister, as well.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

xcheopis posted:

This sounds similar to Joy Chant's Red Moon and Black Mountain, although that has a sister, as well.

From what I'm reading it seems like it's way more elaborate than what I remember, but I might have to pick it up and check for sure.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

From what I'm reading it seems like it's way more elaborate than what I remember, but I might have to pick it up and check for sure.

It's a series, too, which I had forgotten.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Short story, might have been Stephen King, where some kids get a weird wire toy that completely befuddles all adults. Eventually a scientist looks at it and is also stumped but at least determines that the toy is using higher dimensions and that adult minds are already too set in their ways to comprehend it. Before they can be stopped the kids use their knowledge to travel to said higher dimensions. The end! No moral

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

The Chad Jihad posted:

Short story, might have been Stephen King, where some kids get a weird wire toy that completely befuddles all adults. Eventually a scientist looks at it and is also stumped but at least determines that the toy is using higher dimensions and that adult minds are already too set in their ways to comprehend it. Before they can be stopped the kids use their knowledge to travel to said higher dimensions. The end! No moral

Mimsy Were the Borogoves?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

xcheopis posted:

No one gets put in eggs in that though. Older brother gets adopted by unicorn-riding tribespeople and younger brother and sister get found by magic-using royal not-elves. Sister and not-elf princess then get kidnapped and younger brother has to head to the capital to warn the king. If that helps.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Thanks, this is definitely it, though all the time travel and alice in wonderland parts got memory-holed

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
This was a non fiction essay about someone who broke up with their exciting photojournalist boyfriend for something more stable. There’s a line in it about how they wanted someone who would enjoy cute pictures of their friends kids with them instead of laughing at them. I cannot remember who wrote it at all :(. It was a woman, and I think a pretty well known essayist/memoir writer.

Barry Bluejorts
Jun 30, 2013

Now please touch your finger to the tip of your nose.
Pillbug
Tip of my tongue. A piece of soft scifi web fiction, about a man who has brian trauma. He’s implanted with a sort of experimental personality adjuster and the doctors train him to visualize and move the dials himself. Later on he falls in love with a girl who works at a local bookstore, and gets depressed. Set in the UK maybe?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Barry Bluejorts posted:

Tip of my tongue. A piece of soft scifi web fiction, about a man who has brian trauma. He’s implanted with a sort of experimental personality adjuster and the doctors train him to visualize and move the dials himself. Later on he falls in love with a girl who works at a local bookstore, and gets depressed. Set in the UK maybe?
I think this is Reasons to Be Cheerful by Greg Egan

Barry Bluejorts
Jun 30, 2013

Now please touch your finger to the tip of your nose.
Pillbug

Llamadeus posted:

I think this is Reasons to Be Cheerful by Greg Egan

That was it! Thanks!

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN
I listened to this story on a podcast, probably Starship Sofa. Must’ve been at least 10 years ago and I’m fuzzy on the details.

Broadly, it’s about a guy living in a totalitarian dystopia who’s been convicted of rape, and part of his sentence is being subject to experiments where increasingly bizarre pieces of alien anatomy are grafted onto his body. The central conceit was to create a creature so alien that it somehow pushes the boundaries of reality. Mankind had been somehow trapped in a limited amount of space and this was part of an effort to break out. In the end, I think he escapes, although it’s not really him any longer at that point.

I seem to recall the protagonist lives in an apartment building where all the apartments are in constant webcam communication with each other, and his neighbours will regularly tell him how he shouldn’t have raped that girl if he didn’t want to be in his predicament. He’s summoned for his sessions by a flying insect drone finding him and injecting some kind of drug, unannounced.

Yeah, it sounds crazy, but there was something about the story and the narrator’s delivery that did it for me at the time. Looking at what I just typed, it has dream-logic written all over it. Any ideas?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

immolationsex posted:

I listened to this story on a podcast, probably Starship Sofa. Must’ve been at least 10 years ago and I’m fuzzy on the details.

Broadly, it’s about a guy living in a totalitarian dystopia who’s been convicted of rape, and part of his sentence is being subject to experiments where increasingly bizarre pieces of alien anatomy are grafted onto his body. The central conceit was to create a creature so alien that it somehow pushes the boundaries of reality. Mankind had been somehow trapped in a limited amount of space and this was part of an effort to break out. In the end, I think he escapes, although it’s not really him any longer at that point.

I seem to recall the protagonist lives in an apartment building where all the apartments are in constant webcam communication with each other, and his neighbours will regularly tell him how he shouldn’t have raped that girl if he didn’t want to be in his predicament. He’s summoned for his sessions by a flying insect drone finding him and injecting some kind of drug, unannounced.

Yeah, it sounds crazy, but there was something about the story and the narrator’s delivery that did it for me at the time. Looking at what I just typed, it has dream-logic written all over it. Any ideas?

Really reminds me of this comic:

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Really reminds me of this comic:

I thought of Legorobot as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its scifi, short story I believe, about a guy coming home from some war at the end of time and being dropped back off in his original point. As the story progresses be is harassed by other veterans of the war who to the locals seem supernaturally powerful and fearsome. Eventually he confronts them wherein its revealed hes even more inhuman due to the war than they are and he dispatches them with grisly efficiency.

I believe his family name is Bones, his family business (abandoned when he was at war) is a distillery, and he chants a bizarre poem to himself that contains odd phrases something like "icicle spike and devils eye"

edit: of course I find it immediately afterwards "A Dry, Quiet War"

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 22, 2019