Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for leaving a negative review of a restaurant that does Russian roulette with peppers. Two peppers are 8/10 levels of spicy and the rest are normal. Not warned.

LOL @ this utter fool, as no doubt many other posters have pointed out that's just how the peppers are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

AITA for lying to my boyfriend about when an event starts?

I like how this guy's takeaway from this is 'you must be a HIDEOUS LIAR!!!!!1!' and not 'holy poo poo I'm so loving slow I need to be lied to an hour in advance to get anywhere on time'

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 30, 2019

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

goethe.cx posted:

Is that the Coyote Cafe? I also haven’t been there in ten years or so

Tomasita's.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Taima posted:

I love to cook so we host dinners fairly regularly and there's nothing worse than when someone shows up early. If I could choose, I would have everyone show up 10-15 minutes late.

I'm anxiety-ridden about being on time so I compromise; get there early, sit in my car with a book until it's time.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Dazerbeams posted:

You're the rear end in a top hat. Anyone moving faster than you is a blessing for not getting in your way.

:thejoke:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Taima while you’re here, you know what?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I met my wife because I was the first person to show up to her roommate's house party and we got to chatting. Being early can pay dividends!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

goethe.cx posted:

She shouldn’t feel bad at all, that dude is the type of person who drives me insane

My mother and brother were like that (brother still is). Then she'd yell at us because we were running late.

On my way to my HS graduation, she was bitching about it, and threatened to turn the car around because I yelled 'You were the one spending all afternoon watching Law and Order, not us!'

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

LadyPictureShow posted:

My mother and brother were like that (brother still is). Then she'd yell at us because we were running late.

On my way to my HS graduation, she was bitching about it, and threatened to turn the car around because I yelled 'You were the one spending all afternoon watching Law and Order, not us!'

Jesus. My family is the opposite. If we have a flight at noon my dad will suggest getting to the airport by 7:30 am

vvv the first time I saw that article I sent it to him immediately

goethe.cx fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 30, 2019

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

goethe.cx posted:

Jesus. My family is the opposite. If we have a flight at noon my dad will suggest getting to the airport by 7:30 am

This is me tbh. I am poisoned by the one time I arrived in plenty of time for a flight only for security to grind to a halt resulting in a sprint to the gate when I finally got through.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/918257679537246208?s=19

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

goethe.cx posted:

Oh that's just a universal dad thing. If the airport's half an hour away I'll bet he makes you go out the door at 5 a.m. to "beat traffic" too

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sagebrush posted:

Oh that's just a universal dad thing. If the airport's half an hour away I'll bet he makes you go out the door at 5 a.m. to "beat traffic" too

My parents left 2 hours early to get to my uncle's retirement party 30 minutes away.

Even though we lived in the same house and were going to the same destination, I left an hour after them in my own car. I was the second person (group? party?) to get there.

Now that I'm gone, if my parents are coming to visit and are due to arrive at 1PM, we start getting ready for them to arrive at 11AM.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
My in-laws leave their house 30 minutes prior to whatever thing they're going to no matter how far away it is. This includes if it's at my wife's aunt's house, which is around the corner from theirs.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for leaving a negative review of a restaurant that does Russian roulette with peppers. Two peppers are 8/10 levels of spicy and the rest are normal. Not warned.

That's the kind of fuckstick that would go to another country and complain about people not speaking english well there

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I like how this guy's takeaway from this is 'you must be a HIDEOUS LIAR!!!!!1!' and not 'holy poo poo I'm so loving slow I need to be lied an hour in advance to get anywhere on time'

I lie to my fiance about start times for casual things all the time. He doesn't care because he knows he's just bad at timing poo poo sometimes.

Bruceski posted:

I'm anxiety-ridden about being on time so I compromise; get there early, sit in my car with a book until it's time.

My mom would rather be an hour early than 5 minutes late. She does the same though. She would never expect pepper to be ready for her early. She just reads in the car. She also is more likely to be way early to an appointment than a social gathering. I'm at the point where I run 10 minutes early instead of half an hour finally myself. My mom is also the sort to invite people over to eat at a certain time. And is clear that's when dinner is being served, not when people should start showing up. So it's more of a "get here sometime after 130 and before 155 because if you show up at 205 we're at the table already". And if you really want to show up earlier, you're just gonna have to sit in the kitchen and chat and also probably help because she'll still be elbow deep in cooking. To me, it's somehow more strict if a start time but also more lenient. I dunno if it's cultural or a quirk, but I like it.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

zakharov posted:

https://twitter.com/redditships/status/1167448067865493505?s=19

The lady correctly ended things with the Virginity Checker

Fake; here's the actual update:

[UPDATE]: My (22f) fiance (25m) want his father to check my hymen tomorrow night before I get married.

quote:

First of all thank you so much for all the replies, I didnt think this would get so big. I have read pretty much all of them (special shout out goes to the person who says this was fake solely on the fact that I write like a man, whatever that means XD)

Also thanks for all the gold and silver, it's appreciated although if you wanna spend money give it to charity or something.

I went and talked to him this morning I told him that his father is not going to look at me and he needs to respect that. He was adamant that it needs to happen and accused me about lying about my virginity. I was trying to be calm and rational but he was not having it and just became more and more angry. I told him if he really loved me he would stand by me on this and tell his father no to which he slapped me and said he didnt need to prove anything.

so I ended it and left him. I am currently back at my friends house being miserable and eating pizza which is pretty fun.

so yup. Thanks everyone :)

Ends about the same, I guess

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

AITA for going to gay bars to get hit on even though I’m not gay?

Sort of like it says in the title. My ex-girlfriend broke up with me roughly six months back, and I've finally worked through all that and feel ready to date again-- but I get no catches at all. I've tried the dating apps, I've tried meetups, I've tried other bars, and it's like I'm anywhere ranging from invisible to slightly repulsive. It's doing a serious number on my self-esteem.

I was hanging with a couple of friends of mine, and we went to go see a performance we'd been interested in, which happened to be happening at a popular gay bar in town. When I was going up to the bar to get us drinks, I noticed I was getting a lot of looks from the guys there. My friends noticed too and were giving me some lighthearted crap for it, but I was honestly just really flattered? It felt really good to be looked at like that.
Once everyone was a little drunker, one of the guys at the bar even nudged me and joked about the fact that he knew that I was probably straight because lots of people that don't normally go to gay bars were there for the performance, but that he just had to give it a shot to see. I told him very sincerely that I was super flattered, but I had to get back to my friends-- I didn't tell him I wasn't gay. I guess it didn't seem important to mention, since I was 'turning him down' anyway and he'd already guessed that I was straight.
But I've been back quite a few times since. For one, it's a rad bar and the drinks are stellar, but it really does come down to the fact that I've been feeling so low and ugly and unwanted, but there I get checked out and flirted with like I'm hot stuff. It's been a gigantic confidence-booster.

I casually mentioned this to my sister, and she was completely gobsmacked. She says that's despicable of me to do, that I'm lying to and stringing along people that might have real interest, and I'm using them as 'helium to inflate my balloon' (as she says) and not thinking of them as real people with real feelings. I think she's hugely overreacting; I haven't had anyone get upset with me for gentle turn-downs and if it looked like I was seriously hurting someone by doing it I'd stop immediately. So tell me, Reddit, AITA?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Foo Diddley posted:

Ends about the same, I guess
:randstare:

Uh no, physical violence as a reaction to "you need to stand by your fiancee not your dad" is not about the same. Jesus

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

FilthyImp posted:

:randstare:

Uh no, physical violence as a reaction to "you need to stand by your fiancee not your dad" is not about the same. Jesus

She left him is what I meant

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

luxury handset posted:

so you didn't read like any of the half dozen articles talking about how restaurant owners are doing exactly this and the labor pool is still tight, huh

workers don't just magically appear from thin air, there is such a thing as "everyone who works in this industry already has a job in this industry" and this includes skilled labor like line cooks and semi-skilled labor like floor servers

i know it can seem like a cosmic mystery but turns out that foodservice is high turnover for a number of reasons not related to pay, the jobs are extremely fungible and when everyone is trying to open a restaurant it will hoover up the restaurant labor pool real fast :shrug:

e: if you decide to reply to this post please, for the sake of everyone, don't just repeat yourself again about how you are aware that higher wages attract more labor like it is secret knowledge

The articles whining about restaurant owners not being able to find good help is always because the "pay raises" they give are poo poo like $1 to $1.50 raises in major metropolitan areas

If restaurant owners want better employees, they should stop putting all their money up their noses or into the purses of the servers they gently caress for hush money

this'll never happen as fiscal responsibility is only supposed to be for poor people

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Taima posted:

Like the time I ordered duck tongues in china and didn't know that duck tongues... had bones... and you ate the bones... that was fun... but now I laugh about it. Reacting to a surprising and/or negative cultural experience by being instantly angry is just the sign of a dullard.

Mom was a little put out that when we went out for dim sum and ordered duck chin that we got a plate of basically beaks. They're delicious by the way, and there's a surprising amount of very tender meat on those.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

WIBTA for "outing" my sister as straight?

quote:

My sister (26) is a secondary school teacher. She's always been a bit of a character; she's on the spectrum and can be very awkward and obsessive. When we were teenagers, one of the things she got really obsessed with was gay characters from TV shows and stuff, which I thought she's grown out of, but apparently not.

She lives in a different town to me, so we don't talk much, but recently I found out through a woman at my church (whose nephew goes to my sister's school) that she is "out" at school, and runs a support group for gay students. This was a total shock to me, as she isn't gay. She's never dated a woman or suggested she wants to.

I'm worried that she maybe doesn't realise this isn't an "okay" thing to fake, and it could negatively affect her personal life or the kids she works with. Also, I just think it's wrong to lie. WIBTA if I contacted the school to tell them she's actually straight?

quote:

We lived together growing up, and she never gave any indication that she was gay. Plus, I'm sure she's had crushes on men. She went through a really long phase of being obsessed with Alan Cumming.

Oh sweetie...

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I tend to be absurdly early to appointments because I don't like being late, but often times the doctor/dentist can see me then.

Yesterday, my wife got out of a 30 minute appointment shortly before the time it was to start.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

My sister(F22) ripped up my(F19) Stan Lee autograph and I haven't forgiven her even if my mom(46F) is pressuring me to, for families sake.

quote:

I made a post yesterday but forgot my password so I made a new alt.

Okay so I am a huge Marvel nerd. The kind of nerd that Cosplays, goes to cons and draws her own stuff. Mostly fanservice.

My sister ridicules my hobby saying that it's pathetic and "retarded". She claims I am delusional as a grown woman playing dress up.

Besides that we have a good relationship. We are not friends but sisters if that makes sense.

So 3 years ago I managed to safe up enough to go to a con in the USA and meet the real Stan Lee! He signed one of my own pictures I did of the big 3 and complimented it. It's was one of the best days of my life. Since then the signed picture has always been on my wall.

Flash forward. A few weeks ago my sister asks for my jacket and I tell her no. Reason being that she was a bitch to me the whole week. She pouted and I left the house.

When I come back is see my loving Stan Lee autograph ripped up on the flor! I loving lost it. Then my sister came in and started teasing me (look at that grown rear end woman crying over a piece of paper). When she saw that I was for real distressed she started saying that it was just a piece of paper that I can get a new one.

I pushed her out of my room and have been extremely short with her since. She tries to engage in conversation but I shoot her down. She tries to bribe me with movie tickets and I tell her to go with her boyfriend etc. She hasn't apologized for it. She just says that I should be over it by now.

My mom says the same. She says a materialistic things shouldn't come In between family and that I should simply let it go. My dad is also really mad at sister and by extention mom. He is as big on Marvel as me and he was livid when he found out. This whole ordeal is literally splitting our family apart.

My mother and sister think i am being unfair by not letting go and I think they both disrespected me. Mom is mad at dad for not "talking sense into me and taking my side" and dad is mad at mom for "failing to punish my sister and spoiling her"

I feel awfully guilty but also raging mad. Can somone help me with this?

Edit :thanks guys for listening to me. I feel a lot better. I will take what many of you said and I am going to send them examples of how much Stan Lee's autograph costs. But I think I have to word it very good so that they don't think that I would "split up the family over money"

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Wait, who are the 'Big 3' in Marvel? I've only ever heard that term to refer to Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. I'm guessing it'd be like, Cap, Iron Man and...Wolverine?

But I'd rather imagine this is a real story and she slapped down fan art of DC characters and Stan just went 'whatevs' and signed it.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Cap, Iron Man and Spider-Man,no?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

If i was thinking big 3 of Marvel, it'd be Spider-man, Cap America and Wolverine.

But if it was limited to just characters that Stan Lee had a hand in creating, then i'd say Spidey, Iron Man and the Hulk

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Looked up the Marvel Big 3 - apparently it's Iron Man, Cap & Thor

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Marvel doesn’t really have a big trinity in the way that DC does and a lot of the big heroes today were more or less B-listers for most of the comics history.

Prior to the MCU, the first three that spring to mind would have been Spider-Man, Wolverine, and like, Hulk probably.

I guess Iron Man/Cap/Thor could be the other possibility but eh

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Yeah, I'd have guessed Cap, Iron Man and Thor for being the main movie heroes.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

The toilet in our apartment is flooding our bathroom with the whole building's sewage again. Last time they lent us a fan to dry the carpet. Anything I can do to insist they replace the carpet? Who even puts carpet in a bathroom? (TN)

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

DemoneeHo posted:

The toilet in our apartment is flooding our bathroom with the whole building's sewage again. Last time they lent us a fan to dry the carpet. Anything I can do to insist they replace the carpet? Who even puts carpet in a bathroom? (TN)

Sounds like my Tennessee landlords

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DemoneeHo posted:

My sister(F22) ripped up my(F19) Stan Lee autograph and I haven't forgiven her even if my mom(46F) is pressuring me to, for families sake.

Never loving tear up something that someone else drew, much less if it has a famous dead man's signature on it. What an rear end in a top hat.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

It might be a joke for you but it’s my current hell. I moved from NY to be in a city where everyone commutes as if they were fine with being an hour late to everything. By car or by train or by foot.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Yes I am currently sitting in traffic at this very moment.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

DemoneeHo posted:

Fratricide is not out of the question.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DemoneeHo posted:

"You can just get a new one!" I say about the autograph of an extremely famous man who's been dead for almost a year.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
And it was a drawing she herself made. A drawing she can't just replicate like magic that the guy who wrote the characters saw and complimented her on and signed. That's completely irreplaceable.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
That poo poo is going to haunt her literally the rest of her life. I can't believe the story that angered me the most in the entire thread, is one about Marvel fan art, but there you go. (obvious disclaimer not counting literal child abuse or w/e)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

therobit posted:

Fratricide is not out of the question.

sororicide

TheAardvark posted:

That poo poo is going to haunt her literally the rest of her life. I can't believe the story that angered me the most in the entire thread, is one about Marvel fan art, but there you go. (obvious disclaimer not counting literal child abuse or w/e)

when my mom was a little girl my uncle (i.e. her brother) had a poster of bobby orr, his idol, on the wall and one day he got in a fight with my aunt and she stuck a piece of chewing gum on bobby orr's head and when he tried to pull it off it ripped off his face. he still brings that up to this day.

so yeah

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 30, 2019