Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It's nothing new but I also cant recall any other game that made its special launch celebration banner paid-only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Shwqa posted:

Yeah I was just going to post the same thing. So like what is the point of giving premium currency if you can't use it for premium stuff?

This seems really scummy.

Android Gaming: This seems really scummy

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I was playing Pokemon Masters and was finding it fairly fun and very cute, and earned the 3,000 gems needed for the featured ten pull. Only to see that there are both paid and not-paid gems and you can only do the featured ten pull that guarantees a five star with the paid gems.

The icon and name is identical, but it's functionally a separate currency. It does say "paid" in fine print next to the gems on the featured thing but I didn't think to look cause I haven't seen this kind of thing before, despite having a played a number of gacha games before. Is having paid and non paid versions of the same currency a common thing?
It's in literally every mobage

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

One of the things I hate with a passion is the premium pass thing popularised by Fortnite. Like where it hands you some paltry poo poo for free, but over there on the greyed out premium side, you could get a five star axe and a handful of whatever currency you are currently desperate for!

It's one of the few ways AFK Arena is especially lovely, because there are a couple of different ongoing events, which you need to buy seperate £18 passes for.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I too hate games that give me almost, if not all the content for free

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

To be fair it is essentially weaponizing FOMO, which is really effective for lots of people. :shrug:

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Elephant Parade posted:

It's in literally every mobage

It's not in Epic 7 or Summoners War. Watch your wild generalizations.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

CompeAnansi posted:

It's not in Epic 7 or Summoners War. Watch your wild generalizations.
It's been in >80% of the mobage I've played. The point is that it isn't unique to Pokemon Masters

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Android gaming: The Gacha Gotcha

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Fenris13 posted:

I played an Elune a bit at launch, but when the first event came around and I saw that the SSR reward was only given out to the top 100 participants, which is a stupid pay to win reward scheme and a hard pass for me. Did they stick with this reward system for future events?

I have been sticking with Astral Chronicles, which is a deeply flawed game but at least the three events have all had grindable SSR characters for all participants and plenty of other ways to gather and upgrade SSR units.

The event rewards come primarily from grinding out the quests in the special versions of the zones. Good amount of rubies, seeds, and ending in an epic/legendary book. There hasn't been a repair tool ranking thing since the first one. Though that was just a bonus anyways. They added guaranteed summons to the limited banners. The same 3k/6k random epic/legendary as the main banner and then 9k gets you the legendary. So you can save up (or whale out) and ensure you get the new unit if you really want. Or just pull on the regular banner and get a free legendary every 6k points.

I ran into a similar problem with an event early on in Astral Chronicles too. Was basically impossible to grind it out in time without spending money on extra entries. That along with the difficulty often being the inability to accurately control units made me duck out of that.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Yeah no, don't conflate "This is a lovely monetisation strategy" with "I want free stuff." I've happily put more into Warframe than I have into a retail title, I usually buy the £5 starter pack in any mobile game I play for a week, and I am more than happy to give devs fair compensation for their work.

But the whole battle pass thing is lovely FOMO bait at it's worst. I can sort of understand it when it's an extra for subscribers and an incentive for signing up.

But AFK has three of them running that I can think of off the top of my head (and each of them requires a seperate premium pass). There's one on the labyrinth rewards, there's one on the shields you get from your dailies and weeklies, and there's one for your progress through the main story. I've seen it cropping up on that Monster Hunter ripoff on the PS4 and it was all over the Quest for Epic Loot or whatever it was called.

It blows as a monetisation strategy. There are far better and far fairer ways to monetise, the mobile market is an absolute cesspit for it at the moment.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Android Gaming: No, we're not going to make a separate thread for <game>

or

Android Gaming: Someone should make a separate thread

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Has anyone hit world 5 in Archero and does it make slogging through world 4 worth it? Just finding 4 really boring and slow compared to 3 with its wave mechanic.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Elephant Parade posted:

It's been in >80% of the mobage I've played. The point is that it isn't unique to Pokemon Masters

It's not unique but it's not common either. I can think of one other gacha game recently that makes a distinction between free/paid premium currency.

However, that is not to say that many gachas don't do something similar, it's just usually in the form of needing to pay real money to buy either some kind of summon ticket or special item to guarantee a hero or whatever. Probably that's better than the free/paid distinction to be honest because hitting up a banner with small print saying it doesn't take your fake premium currency is a quick way to build up some bad will.

That said I never downloaded Pokémon Masters due to the poor beta reviews here and elsewhere and if there's just one basic premium banner and it only takes real money then lol.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

tildes posted:

Has anyone hit world 5 in Archero and does it make slogging through world 4 worth it? Just finding 4 really boring and slow compared to 3 with its wave mechanic.

Archero becomes a massive pain in the rear end pretty quickly as the worlds get much much harder and the game doesn't give you enough currency to really upgrade your poo poo in any reasonable amount of time without paying.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I've seen it done with just having multiple levels of currency - there's one "premium currency" that's given away in-game (like candy at first, to get you hooked, and then trailing off to a very limited rate once the developer thinks they've got their claws into you), and a second "premium currency" that you can only buy with real money. Most things can be bought with either, but some things only take the real-money one.

lmao forever at trying to pull that but still calling both premium currencies the same thing

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yeah no, don't conflate "This is a lovely monetisation strategy" with "I want free stuff." I've happily put more into Warframe than I have into a retail title, I usually buy the £5 starter pack in any mobile game I play for a week, and I am more than happy to give devs fair compensation for their work.

But the whole battle pass thing is lovely FOMO bait at it's worst. I can sort of understand it when it's an extra for subscribers and an incentive for signing up.

But AFK has three of them running that I can think of off the top of my head (and each of them requires a seperate premium pass). There's one on the labyrinth rewards, there's one on the shields you get from your dailies and weeklies, and there's one for your progress through the main story. I've seen it cropping up on that Monster Hunter ripoff on the PS4 and it was all over the Quest for Epic Loot or whatever it was called.

It blows as a monetisation strategy. There are far better and far fairer ways to monetise, the mobile market is an absolute cesspit for it at the moment.

Total opposite feeling here. I like battle passes because they give you new goals to play for, whereas warframe, starter packs, etc just give you things in exchange for money. I spend money in both, but I enjoy the former a lot more.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

queserasera posted:

I asked about a marble shooter and someone else wanted a good free game that wasn't an afk or clicker.

Archero from a few dozen pages ago still grips me!

Sneak Ops is a quickie version of a touch take on Metal Gear Ghost Babel

Super Toss the Turtle is a good adaptation of a Newgrounds Nanaca Crash style game

Tomb of the Mask is still a blast, even if I 💯'ed it a couple years ago, fast paced puzzle mazy action game.

These are what comes to my mind for now.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Battle passes suck because they exploit FOMO to get you to keep playing a game long after it's not fun any more. (If you stop playing now, you'll permanently miss out on some of the battle pass rewards you already paid for!). Kinda like how daily quests are horrible, except even worse because you already chose to buy into it.

If it was like, buy it now, but you can unlock all the stuff you bought even if you drop the game and pick it up a year later, that'd be much less exploitative.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Total opposite feeling here. I like battle passes because they give you new goals to play for, whereas warframe, starter packs, etc just give you things in exchange for money. I spend money in both, but I enjoy the former a lot more.

Good (?) news about Warframe, you really should give auntie Nora a visit.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

jjac posted:

I admit free battle passes are better than paid ones.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Clocks posted:

It's not unique but it's not common either. I can think of one other gacha game recently that makes a distinction between free/paid premium currency.

However, that is not to say that many gachas don't do something similar, it's just usually in the form of needing to pay real money to buy either some kind of summon ticket or special item to guarantee a hero or whatever. Probably that's better than the free/paid distinction to be honest because hitting up a banner with small print saying it doesn't take your fake premium currency is a quick way to build up some bad will.

That said I never downloaded Pokémon Masters due to the poor beta reviews here and elsewhere and if there's just one basic premium banner and it only takes real money then lol.
- Fate/Grand Order
- Magia Record
- Final Fantasy Record Keeper (although the double-premium currency has a different name instead of just being Premium X)

Those are the three that immediately come to mind for me, and one of them is, by far, the most popular and profitable mobage in the world

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Man, I hate Fate: GO. In the year and change since I uninstalled it, I haven't missed the actual gameplay of that game (which I spent hours doing every week) once, but FOMO on their stupid rare cards and events still makes my brain itch when I see it referenced.

The Gacha I liked playing the least overall is probably still DBZ Dokkan Battle, though. That one was just too dang slow.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Clocks posted:

There's the basic banner that takes any of the currency, and then the special launch banner that only takes paid currency. :shepface:

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

tildes posted:

5 is another one like 4, 6 is waves, 7 is a boss rush

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug

tildes posted:

I don't play a lot anymore (world 7 is a bitch, only 10 levels but it's all bosses), but the nice thing is that you can just log in every couple of days and collect a bunch of rewards. A lot of my gear is close to max level just doing that. Replaying other levels in hero mode can be fun, too. I enjoyed world 6 quite a bit, but it gets really ridiculous.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Randallteal posted:

Man, I hate Fate: GO. In the year and change since I uninstalled it, I haven't missed the actual gameplay of that game (which I spent hours doing every week) once, but FOMO on their stupid rare cards and events still makes my brain itch when I see it referenced.

The Gacha I liked playing the least overall is probably still DBZ Dokkan Battle, though. That one was just too dang slow.

My feelings are exactly the same about those two games.

Tried Pokemon Masters and bounced off it. So I've been alternating between Dragalia Lost and Epic Seven, the latter of which has a bunch of free daily 10-rolls as part of an anniversary special.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I've tried, and I just can't get in to games with characters I don't know.

So, I just stick to Final Fantasy Brave Exvius, Final Fantasy Record Keeper, Kingdom Hearts Union Cross, and Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

jjac posted:

The issue with Warframe's version of the battle pass is that it's not getting points for stuff you'd be doing anyway just playing the game, it's that you have to go away from the normal stuff you'd be doing and go do whatever the nightwave objectives are. Which means that I was spending so much time doing that, I was making zero progress on profit maker, let alone the new gas city stuff.

I ended up getting so frustrated with it I took a break for a while. I might go back if / when they stop making it rewards for doing orokin vaults or eidolons (or slotting ayatans, which is the worst) etc and go back to things like 'kill x enemies, loot x credits' stuff you would eventually get just from playing the game.

I mean I may dislike the ridiculous difference in quality between the paid and free passes on Mighty Quest, and I may dislike the amount of different passes on AFK, but at least they don't end up taking over the game the way nightwave did.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Are there any good gachas that are portrait mode like afk arena? I tried that Elune game and it was landscape which I can't stand.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Resdfru posted:

Are there any good gachas that are portrait mode like afk arena? I tried that Elune game and it was landscape which I can't stand.

Dragalia Lost is very ftp friendly, and will be having its anniversary within the month.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Go RV! posted:

Dragalia Lost is very ftp friendly, and will be having its anniversary within the month.

It's also an incredibly good game and Cygames has made a ton of great QoL improvements within the first year. That and they actually made the gacha cheaper, and with better value (by removing wyrmprints). They also throw a ton of currency and free pulls at players. Highly recommend it for anyone looking for a good action RPG f2p game.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
i like Dragalia Lost

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Can you Auto in Draglia?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thanks for the Event Horizon Frontier suggestion! Any starting tips? Seems p beefy

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Crumbletron posted:

Re: Raid, they've promised Faction Wars for a long time apparently and it's still not here. That said, we have a small goon guild going that we run out of the Galaxy of Heroes discord (you can find a link in the OP of that thread), if you want drop your SN in here and apply for Goon Funk Railroad, we have about a dozen active dudes and I can approve you. We sometimes clear the normal clan boss. None of us are that far past level ~40.

Sweet, but I'm having trouble finding the Galaxy of Heroes thread. Maybe I suck at using the search function.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Warframe stuff

Man sounds like I gave it up none too soon (shortly after the first open-world part).

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Nasgate posted:

Sweet, but I'm having trouble finding the Galaxy of Heroes thread. Maybe I suck at using the search function.

https://discord.gg/xHFxj6t

There's a lot of channels, head down to the Raid one in the Other Games category

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I'll give dragalia another go, I've had it installed since it came out but I never got into it back then.

One problem with a lot of these games I think is they throw so much at you so quickly. Afk arena does a really good job of slowly introducing all the different things. Dragalia was the first gacha I tried though, maybe post afk arena it will be better for me.