Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm a metal fan and it's an incredibly dumb genre of music, hth.

All music is dumb, and anyone attempting to say "Aha but this particular genre/scene/band is actually really interesting and deep" is even loving dumber and their taste loving sucks.

Ah, but have you heard of third wave ska?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I offer the most serious music, in glorious 240p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WGzr9s4mGM

You see, the man with the long hair yodelling about elves in a forest while swinging a sword around is actually the purest representation of the reality of modern life.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

I offer the most serious music, in glorious 240p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WGzr9s4mGM

You see, the man with the long hair yodelling about elves in a forest while swinging a sword around is actually the purest representation of the reality of modern life.

The music and singing reminds me of Helloween.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Evening comrades!

I'm proud to announce our new terrible podcast for these terrible times has finally happened.

Welcome to Podcasting is Praxis

We had planned to go on about climate change and the g7, and most of it got hosed by the proroguing, so we ended up screaming about people who need to speak to the manager of brexit and Dom Cummies' smooth brain.

Thanks to Firos, Coohoolie and Ludic (I can't loving remember if that's your forums name or not lol) for being on the first episode with me, to Mehall for assisting with the discord, logo and planning, to Rarity for being a star with the planning side of things, and to everyone else who joined in to get this off the ground.

Special commiserations to Namesake who was in the first failed episode and then couldn't be in this one.

Hope you all enjoy it!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

Ah, but have you heard of third wave ska?

Well every scale needs a zero.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When he points the sword at the sun and shoots a fireball out of it and makes the sun explode like the death star that is actually a metaphor for climate change.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Special commiserations to Namesake who was in the first failed episode and then couldn't be in this one.

Well it's only fair, given I ruined the first one! I'm having a listen now!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Brexit is a lot like that music video with the cowboy singing in the sky.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Following on the theme built earlier, we see here the evolution of the celesticide motif.

Note the subtleties of the dubiously drawn dog(?) either levitating its front half, or clearly throwing itself to its death in a demonstration of the futility of existence, while the burly sword man shoots yet another sword fireball at saturn.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

namesake posted:

Well it's only fair, given I ruined the first one! I'm having a listen now!

:swoon:

Doing the podcast has been incredibly good for my mental health (when I've not been in the hot take mines for Comment or Commentariat) so I hope it's enough to at least bring a laugh to someone!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Metal is serious business, I say, as I post the korpiklaani cover of leekspin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhZpmFORHBA

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

metal is a great soundtrack for when you go drinking in the woods and dress up like a goblin, which coincidentally is my post brexit plan

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
In fact, if you'll indulge me for a second - every time there's a crossover genre between traditionally white and traditionally black forms of music, the quality drops exponentially for each white person in the band.

Prince Buster: loving awesome
Specials: Pretty loving good
Every single third wave act: Literally the worst noise ever made outside of commercial butchery

24/7 Spyz: Just shoot it into my veins
Chuck-era Faith No More: gently caress yeah. Extra points for the fact that they moved out of the funk/metal genre as they dumped Chuck and Jim, although I'm sure Puffy wonders about it sometimes.
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Why wasn't heroin much purer, or much less pure, in LA in the eighties?

I suppose what I'm actually saying is white people ruin everything.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

That Reading poster has made me pretty nostalgic :allears:

I know, right?
Where's my Gorky's Zygotic Mynci/Delgados/Super Furry Animals reunion album?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'mma gone give the podcast a miss for like the first 10 episodes, but if you get something good going as a regular thing and sort out what I'm assuming are the usual audio and awkwardness issues of every fledgling podcast, THEN I will grudgingly listen and maybe buy a Casper mattress using your promo link.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

kecske posted:

metal is a great soundtrack for when you go drinking in the woods and dress up like a goblin, which coincidentally is my post brexit plan

Nekrogoblikon is life

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Evening comrades!

I'm proud to announce our new terrible podcast for these terrible times has finally happened.

Still kicking myself for missing this whole thing but have downloaded!

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Junior G-man posted:

Still kicking myself for missing this whole thing but have downloaded!

Absolutely not too late to get involved, the whole intent is for it to be a rotating cast of us cursed to live in the UKMT, so if you'd like to be on just let me know :)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
What is the podcast, is it just shitposting in audio format or what

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

https://twitter.com/WritesSir/status/1167139048332218369?s=19

The quite rubbish actor Jeremy Renner has his own app which just launched.

I really didn't want ukmt to miss it 🤣

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nice to see more people following the trend set by trailblazer App Mancock.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It's like Brexit but for your ears rather than your brainworms

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Bit of shitposting, bit of article monstering, bit of cringing at the liberal mindset.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Junior G-man posted:

https://twitter.com/WritesSir/status/1167139048332218369?s=19

The quite rubbish actor Jeremy Renner has his own app which just launched.

I really didn't want ukmt to miss it 🤣

https://twitter.com/WritesSir/status/1167139853877665792

Worth it

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/dumbdrunkpeople/status/1167511301712728064

This is true art.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Following on the theme built earlier, we see here the evolution of the celesticide motif.

Note the subtleties of the dubiously drawn dog(?) either levitating its front half, or clearly throwing itself to its death in a demonstration of the futility of existence, while the burly sword man shoots yet another sword fireball at saturn.

The other planets are a lot closer than I thought

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wait... "so was my kid"? There's some baby shoes-level storytelling going on here.

e: Ah, google name before posting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That man has the platonic mullet.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Wait... "so was my kid"? There's some baby shoes-level storytelling going on here.

Casey Anthony isn't exactly a Hemingway case

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Uncle Wemus posted:

He's using the power of dog magic to summon the other planets to end our lovely existences :iia:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Uncle Wemus posted:

They just seem close because they're REALLY big. Saturn is like over 5 times as big as earth but it's hundreds of miles away

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Technically everything is hundreds of miles away from everything else, if you think about it.

I for example am about 0.000002 hundreds of miles away from my monitor.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Technically everything is hundreds of miles away from everything else, if you think about it.

I for example am about 0.000002 hundreds of miles away from my monitor.

I'm 25,000 miles away from my monitor depending on what direction you take the tape measure in.

e: 0.00002 miles is 3 centimetres - you might want to get an eye test.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Illuyankas posted:

It was an attempt to ask people to feel sorry for a man who drugged and sodomised a 13 year old girl because his life had been hard, wrapped up in a book review. The part where she described the anger she felt after reading the child rape victim's account of her rape by Polanski drain away after she read about his family and wife being murdered came across exactly like an excuse, regardless of how she phrased it. I mean, "Then you read about the life of Roman Polanski. How shameful and how pointless to punish him with violence, even in the imagination." and "This is not an excuse; other survivors have not become rapists. But it silences my violent instinct immediately and creates a sharp and terrible sympathy in parallel with the anger. A second complicating factor is that Polanski's work is filled with beauty and humanity." This is absolutely an excuse.

Her column would have been reasonable in the majority of situations it could have described, just not one where, once again, a man raped a child and then fled to escape justice to live a fabulously privileged life of luxury with no consequences and (according to details from that column I was looking for earlier and eventually found) other sexual assaults on children.

But who knows? Maybe I did misread it.

The whole point of the article is that despite Polanski's criminal deeds, the situation still has nuance, which the victim herself urges people to consider. The whole article is just arguing against oversimplifying complicated situations. Nowhere does it say the nuance absolves Polanski.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Gamma Ray went from 90's optimism to gulf war disillusionment to "gently caress it elves and vampires I guess" to a song about being late for deadlines and I love them.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

He's stealing my loving moves the bastard!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm 25,000 miles away from my monitor depending on what direction you take the tape measure in.

e: 0.00002 miles is 3 centimetres - you might want to get an eye test.

Youre missing a zero I think :ssh:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

In fact, if you'll indulge me for a second - every time there's a crossover genre between traditionally white and traditionally black forms of music, the quality drops exponentially for each white person in the band.

Prince Buster: loving awesome
Specials: Pretty loving good
Every single third wave act: Literally the worst noise ever made outside of commercial butchery

24/7 Spyz: Just shoot it into my veins
Chuck-era Faith No More: gently caress yeah. Extra points for the fact that they moved out of the funk/metal genre as they dumped Chuck and Jim, although I'm sure Puffy wonders about it sometimes.
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Why wasn't heroin much purer, or much less pure, in LA in the eighties?

I suppose what I'm actually saying is white people ruin everything.

White people DO ruin everything but third wave ska is great and I'm going to see Reel Big Fish in November.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

holy poo poo I thought quiz machines had gone fully extinct, because smartphones

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Half an hour into the podcast and very much enjoying it so far :)