Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Stopped listening when you said Southend wasn't terrible. (Will continue tomorrow, seems good)

stev fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Half an hour into the podcast and very much enjoying it so far :)

Yeah same.

TBH when I read the words "UKMT podcast" I thought it was going to be a car crash but it's actually very good. Some slight volume/clipping issues but the content is good and amusing so far.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Glad you like it guys, I certainly had a lot of fun doing it!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Every atom is an indeterminable distance from every other atom, simultaneously, with an upper distance limit of infinity. Also, if atoms A and B are an inch apart, and atom C is an inch apart from A, it does not mean that A and C are at maximum two inches apart.

This is my understanding of special relativity.

Also, podcast good.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Steve2911 posted:

Stopped listening when you said Southend wasn't terrible. (Will continue tomorrow, seems good)

I got stuck in a lift in Southend once, highlight of that week

e: Podcast good, thanks all! why don't you post like this

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

The Deleter posted:

Gamma Ray went from 90's optimism to gulf war disillusionment to "gently caress it elves and vampires I guess" to a song about being late for deadlines and I love them.

this reminded me that No World Order exists, listened to a few bits of that, and now I'm listening to Iron Savior, god it's loving dumb but absolutely rules

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I thought that was Andy Warhol before I clicked

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Which one of you is host of WDTATW tanasmashing, who has followed the podcast twitter already.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

mehall posted:

Which one of you is host of WDTATW tanasmashing, who has followed the podcast twitter already.

He follows me on twitter and I did a retweet so maybe it was that. I know at least one of them read LF back in the day, so maybe they're lurkers?

E: Twitter is here btw: http://twitter.com/PraxisCast

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

podcast is good so far, great job! y'all sound pretty comfortable and there's good camaraderie, bouncing off each other, it's pretty slick. And Sanitary Naptime's doing a good job wrangling things, it's unnervingly organised

only criticism really is the levels are a bit inconsistent and it's quiet overall, throw some compression/limiting on there and maybe EQ the thinner-sounding mics a bit and you're golden. Also mic control - if you're gonna shout into the mic lean back! but a lot of that's standard for podcasts and it's honestly really decent :thumbsup:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Julio Cruz posted:

holy poo poo I thought quiz machines had gone fully extinct, because smartphones

Seen the vid before, its a few years old.
£2 for a shot! Holy gently caress, I would kill for prices that low.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Youre missing a zero I think :ssh:

Owlfancier said they were 0.000002 hundreds of miles from their monitor, which is why I dropped a zero.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

baka kaba posted:

podcast is good so far, great job! y'all sound pretty comfortable and there's good camaraderie, bouncing off each other, it's pretty slick. And Sanitary Naptime's doing a good job wrangling things, it's unnervingly organised

only criticism really is the levels are a bit inconsistent and it's quiet overall, throw some compression/limiting on there and maybe EQ the thinner-sounding mics a bit and you're golden. Also mic control - if you're gonna shout into the mic lean back! but a lot of that's standard for podcasts and it's honestly really decent :thumbsup:

:swoon:

I've done some editing stuff in the past, but I've never used Audition before this in any great length, so I'm sure I'll figure it out. I could have done with running the noise levelling tool that I just found out about :rolleye:

I'm playing about with the master file just now too in the hope I can fix some of the issues (and will maybe re-upload it if it's a big improvement), so hopefully I'll have plenty of practice with a substantial amount to play with before I do Episode 2 next week.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

holy poo poo I thought quiz machines had gone fully extinct, because smartphones

Alas it's not a quiz machine but a combination fruit machine/FOBT.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You can combine the two.

As usual it's about as good as the old premium rate phone-in TV quizzes with three options. "What colour is an orange? Correct! Now let's gamble!"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I will listen to this tomorrow in browser, but please list this on google, stitcher and apple as well so I can listen to it on other players, and also so other people can find it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Owlfancier said they were 0.000002 hundreds of miles from their monitor, which is why I dropped a zero.

There's two zeroes in a hundred.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
re podcast - should we stand up at the end?
Asking for a friend.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I will listen to this tomorrow in browser, but please list this on google, stitcher and apple as well so I can listen to it on other players, and also so other people can find it.

I've got the apple thing in process atm, i'll sort those others also, hadn't even known about stitcher since it's always just Apple I use.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

re podcast - should we stand up at the end?
Asking for a friend.

Yes, until the music changes, then you need to sit back down very quickly.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Evening comrades!

I'm proud to announce our new terrible podcast for these terrible times has finally happened.
Hope you all enjoy it!

Noice! :toot:

Will give it a listen tomorrow. Already added it to the little Podcast section in the UKMT document I keep for the thread links for the OP for archiving purposes. :)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sanitary Naptime posted:

:swoon:

I've done some editing stuff in the past, but I've never used Audition before this in any great length, so I'm sure I'll figure it out. I could have done with running the noise levelling tool that I just found out about :rolleye:

I'm playing about with the master file just now too in the hope I can fix some of the issues (and will maybe re-upload it if it's a big improvement), so hopefully I'll have plenty of practice with a substantial amount to play with before I do Episode 2 next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkIoaJehGDA

there's someone using a limiter on there, but basically you want to use the gain control to push the overall volume up, and set the max level to whatever you want to peak at, and it'll squash against that ceiling. The more gain you add the more you're raising the minimum volume, and as it gets close to the max it'll start to "pump" and sound unnatural, like your ears are under pressure almost, so you gotta adjust to taste

the look-ahead and release controls are about how quickly it starts and stops squashing, you can adjust them to make it sound more natural - probably not as important as with music, but you can avoid that kind of radio sound I guess. You don't need to be too aggressive with any of this anyway, just get all the audio tracks in the same volume range and yr cool

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

it's impossible to tell without looking at the specific machine's home screen but there absolutely were quiz machines with that exact cabinet design (source: used to derive a not-insignificant proportion of my income from them, also I'm at least partly responsible for one game getting hurriedly removed from machines since I could win on it near enough every time)

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

baka kaba posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkIoaJehGDA

there's someone using a limiter on there, but basically you want to use the gain control to push the overall volume up, and set the max level to whatever you want to peak at, and it'll squash against that ceiling. The more gain you add the more you're raising the minimum volume, and as it gets close to the max it'll start to "pump" and sound unnatural, like your ears are under pressure almost, so you gotta adjust to taste

the look-ahead and release controls are about how quickly it starts and stops squashing, you can adjust them to make it sound more natural - probably not as important as with music, but you can avoid that kind of radio sound I guess. You don't need to be too aggressive with any of this anyway, just get all the audio tracks in the same volume range and yr cool

I've punted this into my notes to play around with, thank you muchly.

Also, Google, Stitcher and Apple are all now pending approval.

Clement
Jun 30, 2007

I've met a working Yorkshire miner.
Breaking out of the lurk to say that the podcast is good!

Clement fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 31, 2019

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
For my part, I may have been too close to the mic at times, I had a weird setup where I was on Discord via my phone but recording on a separate mic. Glad folks are liking it so far, I'm very aware of my own voice now.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

^ if it helps, your voice sounds higher pitched when recorded because you're hearing it vibrate through your skull, which deepens it and can make you sound a lot cooler and less poncy to yourself than you actually do!

PittTheElder posted:

The whole point of the article is that despite Polanski's criminal deeds, the situation still has nuance, which the victim herself urges people to consider. The whole article is just arguing against oversimplifying complicated situations. Nowhere does it say the nuance absolves Polanski.

I suppose I'd have to disagree on whether it oversimplifies or clarifies the situation. Polanski should go to prison for his deeds; both his tragic history and his artistic talent are absolutely irrelevant and should ignored, but they colour all the responses to him and his actions. Whether or not Geimer forgives him doesn't absolve him of his crimes against her and against society as a whole.

I think the source of the hostility in my reaction is that second complicating factor line. I agree there are situations that do have nuance and do deserve a balanced viewpoint when considering them, taking each factor in turn and ensuring not jump to conclusions. Polanski is not one of those, and he belongs in a cell.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

BizarroAzrael posted:

For my part, I may have been too close to the mic at times, I had a weird setup where I was on Discord via my phone but recording on a separate mic. Glad folks are liking it so far, I'm very aware of my own voice now.

I spent the entire time editing muttering about how much of a oval office I sound lmao. Nothing will make you hate your own voice more than editing it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

y'all sound good and natural podcasters imo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Podcast appears to be a lower key UK chapo.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Think we'll just stop here tbh

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

me to gf: "71 people have downloaded the podcast"
gf: "that's terrible"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The tories have brought us to the edge, and now britain needs to be brought over the edge. DOM CUMMINGS WHEN WILL YOU LET ME NUT YOU SWINE.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

Podcast appears to be a lower key UK chapo.

We need some of that good good McElboy energy.

e; Yeah, like that ^^^

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
If I had a hundredth of Azza Bamboo's skills, you'd already have some "Comment or Commentariat" fanart

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

OwlFancier posted:

The tories have brought us to the edge, and now britain needs to be brought over the edge. DOM CUMMINGS WHEN WILL YOU LET ME NUT YOU SWINE.

Ms Adequate posted:

We need some of that good good McElboy energy.

e; Yeah, like that ^^^

lmao

IrvingWashington posted:

If I had a hundredth of Azza Bamboo's skills, you'd already have some "Comment or Commentariat" fanart

Comment or Commentariat is probably my favourite segment idea we came up with and it'll be a regular feature, I'm really glad you're enjoying it!

You've all been so very supportive, thanks so much everyone!

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

Is that not because Fruit Machines make much more profit for the space taken up? Genuinely curious.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sanitary Naptime posted:

lmao

Comment or Commentariat is probably my favourite segment idea we came up with and it'll be a regular feature, I'm really glad you're enjoying it!

You've all been so very supportive, thanks so much everyone!

May I suggest a little theme tune to introduce that section: (some might understand my recommendation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSAd3NpDi6Q

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

May I suggest a little theme tune to introduce that section: (some might understand my recommendation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSAd3NpDi6Q

Honestly, if that was about ten minutes longer, I'd just bed it under the whole segment, it's got extreme comment or commentariat energy

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Honestly, if that was about ten minutes longer, I'd just bed it under the whole segment, it's got extreme comment or commentariat energy

Longer versions and indeed alternative composers of the sarabande are available.

(It's the tune Dave Gorman uses for his 'Found Poem' made up of comments from 'the bottom of the internet')

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Sanitary Naptime posted:

This may cause a number of entries to turn into a Dave Gorman Found Poem.

E: beaten.