Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Cameron ruined Terminator by introducing the T-1000. Ever since then it’s always liquid metal / nano-machine bullshit that looks dumb and overused on these impossibly unreal situations that are just an excuse to burn CGI money while shouting “it’s advanced!”. It’s loving bullshit. Genysis had the ultra bad terminator loving PHASE in pulses through the T-800 as an attack. It was loving ridiculous.

It's funny, the implied not-Skynet reset for the universe could've freed them from the liquid metal/nanobot morphing trope nightmare the series is stuck in. Similar dark fates doesn't necessarily predestine the same exact technological advancements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Skynet should really just send this back to the past.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tenzarin posted:

God, the sound effects in that sequence were so loving cool.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

The 20th Century Fox Film trailer is slightly different:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdivOFoF8-g

Is Linda Hamilton's voice that slurred in real life? :(

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sasquatch! posted:

It doesn’t sound slurred to me but based on this article I’m guessing she smoked quite a bit

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Sasquatch! posted:

The 20th Century Fox Film trailer is slightly different:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdivOFoF8-g

That's actually pretty different. Lots of different bits in there.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
If a Terminator sequel really wanted to make the villain appear as a threat, they'd make it Arnold again. The T-800 is the only one we know can get poo poo done, even in the face of overwhelming opposition.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 31, 2019

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Donnerberg posted:

If a Terminator sequel really wanted to make the villain appear as a threat, they'd make it Arnold again. The T-800 is the only one we know can get poo poo done, even in the face of overwhelming opposition.

The T-888s were no slouches.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the T-1000 didn't ruin anything it's a cool design and patrick knocked it out of the park (plus cameron wanted to use a new technology). in terminator 3 it's liquid metal but also has guns and poo poo which complicates things and makes it no longer have the weakness of having to get up close. i don't even remember the movie explaining why it was far more advanced than the T-1000. also casting a bad actress doing a bad patrick impression doesn't help. and now it can make a copy of itself with its liquid skin! it's sort of the same issue of lightsabers in star wars where they gotta keep adding new dumb designs when the original is fine.

the only chance to make a good terminator film would be to do the future war properly and not how they did in salvation.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 31, 2019

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Groovelord Neato posted:

the T-1000 didn't ruin anything it's a cool design and patrick knocked it out of the park (plus cameron wanted to use a new technology). in terminator 3 it's liquid metal but also has guns and poo poo which complicates things and makes it no longer have the weakness of having to get up close. i don't even remember the movie explaining why it was far more advanced than the T-1000. also casting a bad actress doing a bad patrick impression doesn't help. and now it can make a copy of itself with its liquid skin! it's sort of the same issue of lightsabers in star wars where they gotta keep adding new dumb designs when the original is fine.

the only chance to make a good terminator film would be to do the future war properly and not how they did in salvation.

The thing I find especially weird about this Rev-9 machine that can split into two components is that like... Why not just have a T-800 teaming up with a T-1000? Two Terminators could present a pretty new dynamic.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

For a Terminator movie to truly succeed they need to bring the T-1000000 from the Universal ride to the big screen.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
What if they brought in the giant terminator baby from Mass Effect 2's ending sequence, please hire me I have more ideas like this.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Groovelord Neato posted:

i don't even remember the movie explaining why it was far more advanced than the T-1000. war properly and not how they did in salvation.

To T3's credit they do explain this. In the timeline created from T2 happening Judgment Day is not stopped, just postponed until John is older. Skynet has the internet/etc. more advanced technology to work with and the resistance being able to reprogram Terminators reliably motivates it to start designing stuff made to kill other robots and not just humans.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The thing I find especially weird about this Rev-9 machine that can split into two components is that like... Why not just have a T-800 teaming up with a T-1000? Two Terminators could present a pretty new dynamic.

That'd be interesting. Two foes with different weaknesses. And you could do an interesting stuff like where you melt the skin off the T800 but he shows back up fine, and then reveal the T1000 is layered on top of the T800 so it can keep it's disguise or something. Go back to them being serial killers working together using relative stealth to blend in instead of war machines that blow up city blocks.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Violator posted:

And you could do an interesting stuff like where you melt the skin off the T800 but he shows back up fine, and then reveal the T1000 is layered on top of the T800 so it can keep it's disguise or something.

Good news, I'm pretty sure this kind of stuff is happening in the upcoming Dark Fate movie.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
You know the only way I can see the Terminator series ending is if Skynet merges with humans.
The trailer did say she was enhanced.
So instead of wiping them out, Skynet enslaves them, one big cyborg/robot family.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

The Terminator series is never ending. Even if this film bombs, within 10 years they'll probably go with a full-on reboot. And even if that fails, they'll probably wait another grace period of X years before going right back to it. Every single one will feature a villainous terminator that'll be disappointing compared to the T-1000.

Hollywood has only so many ideas to work with. The Matrix 4 is coming for chrissakes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

happyhippy posted:

You know the only way I can see the Terminator series ending is if Skynet merges with humans.
The trailer did say she was enhanced.
So instead of wiping them out, Skynet enslaves them, one big cyborg/robot family.

Based on the leak, it might be the other way around: she might be a pre-Skynet terminator with cybernetic enhancements that Skynet copied and improved on as infiltration units.

Might rub some folks the wrong way, though, if the movie does entail the idea that terminators were being made before Skynet. Or Legion.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Violator posted:

And you could do an interesting stuff like where you melt the skin off the T800 but he shows back up fine, and then reveal the T1000 is layered on top of the T800 so it can keep it's disguise or something.

that idea is cooler than everything in every sequel since 2 combined.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 31, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

iamsosmrt posted:

The Terminator series is never ending. Even if this film bombs, within 10 years they'll probably go with a full-on reboot. And even if that fails, they'll probably wait another grace period of X years before going right back to it. Every single one will feature a villainous terminator that'll be disappointing compared to the T-1000.

Hollywood has only so many ideas to work with. The Matrix 4 is coming for chrissakes.

The goofiest thing about Salvation, Genisys, and now this one is that all three are spoken of in terms of THIS ONE WILL BE THE START OF A NEW TRILOGY and it's third time's a charm I guess lol

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

Based on the leak, it might be the other way around: she might be a pre-Skynet terminator with cybernetic enhancements that Skynet copied and improved on as infiltration units.

Might rub some folks the wrong way, though, if the movie does entail the idea that terminators were being made before Skynet. Or Legion.

The twist at the end is that the young girl isn't the new John Conner, it's actually Sarah.
To prevent her from merging with Skynet with the new cyborg tech.
Calling it now, last scene is Linda staring at the screen saying 'We are Skynet.'

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

heres how you fix the franchise

its just a t800 played by keanu reeves

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Groovelord Neato posted:

that idea is cooler than everything in every sequel since 2 combined.

It was done in Terminator 5.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The problem is we're living in a liminal period between the rise of industrial civilization and its collapse that feels a lot like a purgatory; nothing really substantial has changed since 1983 so it's hard to move beyond the apocalyptic alienation of the first Terminator.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If they really want to keep going with the robots in disguise theme, they should really combine this movie's Cinematic Universe with Transformers.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It was done in Terminator 5.

you sure about that.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Groovelord Neato posted:

you sure about that.

Liquid Arnie is a thing.

The execution of it was dumb even by post-T2 standards. Nobody would blame you for forgetting it. The T-800 falls in a pool of liquid metal during the final fight, and it becomes a T-1000 hybrid.

It was effectively their way to bring "Pops" back for a Genysis sequel without him being a wreck.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 31, 2019

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
They even hinted that something involving 800-1000 interfacing was going to come up, when it was demonstrated earlier with the 1000 reactivating a disabled 800. Once they showed Pops' bad knee and the huge pools of unprogrammed goo, I was just "I'm very excited for what's about to happen here"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

isn'tt hat just liquid metal going over a terminator. that's still a single entity. not the same as a t-1000 covering a t-800 as a double threat.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

isn'tt hat just liquid metal going over a terminator. that's still a single entity. not the same as a t-1000 covering a t-800 as a double threat.

Considering the trailers for Dark Fate, should the NEXT Terminator movie feature the literal idea of a t-1000 covering a t-800, they'll just say it's practically already been done with the new Terminator coming out of the truck as a pair of separate bodies. Only difference is the buddy villain part, but that's really not all that original in the grand scheme of action movies in general.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Tenzarin posted:

This, covered in a dozen husks of naked Arnolds.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

Yet in the case of both of them neither machine was intended to win a battle on their own. Even the T-800 in the original film taking on the police station was more it taking advantage of shock and awe.

Yeah, in T2 the T800 looked like it was getting pretty hosed-up when the police smoked the Cyberdyne entrance and John ordered no fatalities. All that concentrated fire was really slowing it down and one of those bullets actually hitting an eye or both probably would have hosed it up. You could tell it had taken its toll when the T1000 fight came round.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Grendels Dad posted:

This, covered in a dozen husks of naked Arnolds.
This needs to be taken back to the earlier concepts where it was more oriented around the detectives, I want at least a whole scene of investigators trying to figure out the wiggly pile of boneless Arnolds in a crater.

One of them won't stop poking at the pile with a stick, and the other gets increasingly violently ill every time they see the pile jiggle.

There's also a giant future robot deathtank rampaging nearby and considering how the tracks come from the crater they're pretty sure it's related but giant future robot deathtanks aren't exactly their purview so they're here with the Arnold casings.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

ImpAtom posted:

I think the big issue is that the T-1000 made sense as an evolution of the original robot which was intended as an infiltration unit. The T-1000 is a better infiltration unit. It doesn't have built-in laserbeams or anything, it just can copy thing well and as a side effect can kill effectively with its bare hands-turned-into-knives. (And honestly the T-800 could do that too.) Yet in the case of both of them neither machine was intended to win a battle on their own. Even the T-800 in the original film taking on the police station was more it taking advantage of shock and awe.

Every Terminator since then has been like a combat machine designed to kick rear end and that isn't really the point of Terminators. They're not actually the most effective killing machine Skynet has. They're just the only one it can reliably send back without the military shooting it with a bazooka.

I think my singular biggest aesthetic beef with the T-1000, and all of the subsequent nano-bullshit is that it loses the element of the antagonist being slowly whittled down and revealing more and more of its mechanical nature as events unfold. You lose out on the more horror-centric aspects like the eye-extraction scene or the surprise reveal of the Endoskeleton when the villain can just shrug off any damage done without any markings.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you are right but it does get hosed up in its own weird way though they did cut some of that out of the finished project.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tart Kitty posted:

I think my singular biggest aesthetic beef with the T-1000, and all of the subsequent nano-bullshit is that it loses the element of the antagonist being slowly whittled down and revealing more and more of its mechanical nature as events unfold. You lose out on the more horror-centric aspects like the eye-extraction scene or the surprise reveal of the Endoskeleton when the villain can just shrug off any damage done without any markings.

The T-1000 does get hosed up (though the cut scenes make it clearer.) They just depicted it as it slowly losing its ability to maintain its disguise and it starts taking on the form of the environment around it. It's durable as poo poo but eventually it would have been worn down to uselessness even if they hadn't dunked it in the furnace.

I do think the T-800 is more effective that way but I think Cameron correctly realized that the trick isn't going to work as effectively again and tried to adapt it in a new way. Which none of the other films have come remotely close to matching because they don't really try beyond like inflating tits.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
A completely clapped-out blobman T-1000 would have been funny (I’m imagining a less hysterical Emil from RoboCop). Maybe a downside of the liquid metal material is that it simply wears out over time so it’s longevity is limited, and morphing and taking damage accelerates the process. That might have fit in nicely with the T-800/T-1000 buddy team; maybe the T-1000 by itself got so messed up it couldn’t walk around by itself but it’s still strong enough to be the T-800’s disguise.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I do think the nano machine powder Terminator in Genysis was a good step up. But for some reason I want it to go full Evangelion with weird rear end Terminators and tie it into some kind of theme.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gatts posted:

I do think the nano machine powder Terminator in Genysis was a good step up. But for some reason I want it to go full Evangelion with weird rear end Terminators and tie it into some kind of theme.

The concept art stuff also made the dust terminator creepy as hell because the idea is that it's a terminator that can make more of itself. It's supposed to go around infecting people with nanotech, forcibly turning them into more of itself like a plague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

ImpAtom posted:

Which none of the other films have come remotely close to matching because they don't really try beyond like inflating tits.
up until this post, I had thought it was Genisys that first tried to approach the concept of a gas Terminator to fill out the set with solid and liquid, not T3.

my new Terminator concept: the vacuum Terminator. Skynet sends back... nothing. fires a blank into the past, leaving the sign of a time machine arrival, destructive paranoia does the rest.