Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's the source of some of my biggest gripes with part 7 and i'm sad to say it's not the last time someone is weird towards lucy steel

i don't really know how to explain it other than it maybe being a combination of araki just like halfway seemingly not comprehending the concept of age (like giorno is apparently goddamn 15 years old what the gently caress) and it being some idea that it was like that back in the day for whatever reason

i don't know. it sucks.

it sucks but mentally i just age her up but that almost feels like apologism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i actually said it in a mild spoilered box earlier in the thread but eventually there's a point where it explains what's 'up' between stephen steel and lucy steel and i don't even have an issue with that because it's explained in a way where it doesn't really suck. it's just that araki seems to have this weird habit of trying to pull horror out of varying situations to get a reaction out of readers and i feel like it's what some of the creepy poo poo aimed at lucy is meant to be, for lack of a better explanation. part of that's mainly because that, to me, nothing in the series ever really comes off like araki is being weirdly horny about something as much as he's just prone to putting weird poo poo in and really loves trying to utilize uncomfortable situations in a scenario to add tension.

at the same time i'm absolutely not going to try and handwave it away because the part could 100% do without it and everyone in the part, without fail, could be aged up like 5 years and it'd be more fitting and less stupid but then again that's pretty much how it was with part 5 so honestly i have no clue at this point

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Zyla posted:

i still l dont understand what the rain guy's powers were all about. I understood him stopping the rain and all that but i dont know why that would make it sharp, and i dont understand how he could melt himself and toss it on other people?

Blackmore's power is that he's unstoppable in the rain. He can separate his body and teleport through water, he can control rain droplets and make them as hard and sharp as he likes, he can do whatever the gently caress he wants with the rain, basically.

But Catch The Rainbow only works if it's raining. Clear skies? gently caress 'em, he's just some weird loser.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's not so much that blackmore inherently makes drops of water sharp or solid or whatever, it's that he can just outright freeze them so they're static in the air to a point where they can support his weight or even theoretically something much heavier. they become so fixated in that spot that in the contest between someone's flesh and the water it's going to end up carving through the person because they're absolutely not going to get it to budge

gyro was able to bust through them mainly due to the friction evaporating the water (since it was still water at the end of the day) and at that point the power didn't apply because it wasn't liquid anymore. catch the rainbow is a cool stand and kind of exemplifies how part 7 uses pared-back ideas to make for a threatening fight where the user has definitely drawbacks to work around.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I can also think of a couple of Westerns where there's a girl main character who's """"14""""" so if anything she's probably supposed to be like if Poco/Anne had a bigger role in the story and then sexual assault horror happens because we're not in a shounen publication anymore.

Lucy's payoff is really good but the journey is, hhhh.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

i actually said it in a mild spoilered box earlier in the thread but eventually there's a point where it explains what's 'up' between stephen steel and lucy steel and i don't even have an issue with that because it's explained in a way where it doesn't really suck. it's just that araki seems to have this weird habit of trying to pull horror out of varying situations to get a reaction out of readers and i feel like it's what some of the creepy poo poo aimed at lucy is meant to be, for lack of a better explanation. part of that's mainly because that, to me, nothing in the series ever really comes off like araki is being weirdly horny about something as much as he's just prone to putting weird poo poo in and really loves trying to utilize uncomfortable situations in a scenario to add tension.

at the same time i'm absolutely not going to try and handwave it away because the part could 100% do without it and everyone in the part, without fail, could be aged up like 5 years and it'd be more fitting and less stupid but then again that's pretty much how it was with part 5 so honestly i have no clue at this point

:shrug:

japan :argh:

bean mom fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 27, 2019

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

When you've been alive as long as Araki, you lose context of mortal ages.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Anime ages feel weirder and weirder as I get older. When I was ten or whatever all these highschool aged heroes seem cool and mature and fine. But now that I'm, like, thirty I wanted to take every one in part 5 and not... like, adopt them but they all needed at least another five years in the oven before joining the mob.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So when we get a Steel Ball Run anime, will they have Ringo gently caress with the OP?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I hate that Ringo Roadagain is a creepy rear end in a top hat with a suicide fetish and the story paints him as some enlightened loner pursuing a greater destiny that's above social norms.
I hate that he gets a flashback to his traumatic past as if it's supposed to make him sympathetic when more interesting characters don't get the same treatment.
I hate that the moral of the story is Gyro trying to be a good person is actually a bad thing and he needs to be more of a cold blooded rear end in a top hat like everyone else.
I hate that Gyro actually kills Ringo like he wants instead of just knocking him out and leaving him behind.
I hate that Gyro is inspired by Ringo's words to the point they magically let him catch up to Diego.

Very cool fight though. I like it even more upon rereading. Shame about the rest but at least that's behind now.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Zyla posted:

Mountain tim you rule, but wtf man she's 14 cmon dude thats kinda weird!!! (i guess its not meant to be weird tho? is it that whole japanese age in fiction thing where 14 is young adult and 18 is middle age?)

In 1880 age of consent in USA was 10 or 12 years, depending on the state. I'm not saying it was a good thing, just that things were VERY different in that period.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I can deal with Lucy because the story's set in the 1890s. That's probably not the intent so it feels kinda like a cop-out, but it works for me anyway.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

YF-23 posted:

I can deal with Lucy because the story's set in the 1890s. That's probably not the intent so it feels kinda like a cop-out, but it works for me anyway.
Aspects of SBR are modernized, like how it cops to using money in a modern context to prevent explaining it every time, so I'm not sure I buy that.

GimmickMan posted:

I hate that Ringo Roadagain is a creepy rear end in a top hat with a suicide fetish and the story paints him as some enlightened loner pursuing a greater destiny that's above social norms.
I hate that he gets a flashback to his traumatic past as if it's supposed to make him sympathetic when more interesting characters don't get the same treatment.
I hate that the moral of the story is Gyro trying to be a good person is actually a bad thing and he needs to be more of a cold blooded rear end in a top hat like everyone else.
I hate that Gyro actually kills Ringo like he wants instead of just knocking him out and leaving him behind.
I hate that Gyro is inspired by Ringo's words to the point they magically let him catch up to Diego.

Very cool fight though. I like it even more upon rereading. Shame about the rest but at least that's behind now.

I've never really read the fight this way but I don't really have counter arguments.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Yeah, it's definitely not the intended reading, but I can't help but see it when I read the arc. It's a lot like Stroheim in part 2 or Mountain Tim m'ladying a 14 year old in that it's pretty hosed up but it's not Araki trying to push forward a lovely worldview or anything .

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

with ringo i don't necessarily see it as being a 'correct' way to go about things as much as it's just an alternate way that would possibly serve someone better in some situations. gyro got told a lot by his father to not form any connections but a big part of the mandom fight is gyro telling him to gently caress off in that regard by directly crashing in to go help his friend at possible extreme risk to himself.

there's even the earlier bit where johnny tells gyro that sometimes his best just might not be enough purely because sometimes a person will have much more of a personal drive for whatever reason and that's what's going to give them an edge. gyro starts to realize that and his personal convictions help him win out in the end of that whole encounter because he begins to recontextualize how he goes about things.

also to be fair ringo was more than ready to just kill them all at multiple points and showed himself to be an outright ruthless rear end in a top hat, so i don't exactly blame gyro for just icing him at the end independent of what ringo really wanted or whatever. the whole encounter gives me like some weird arthurian fable vibes and i'm not sure why.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

GimmickMan posted:

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Ringo either. He's kinda presented as being more "noble" than the other terrorists, but I don't think killing someone in a fair duel is any better if you're forcing them into it in the first place. Hot Pants had the right idea, he's a total nutjob.

Also after Ringo explained his ability they could have all just left the orchard by keeping their eye on a watch. I know I'm just nitpicking with this and they don't realize this because then there would be no plot, but it kinda bothers me that there was such an obvious solution to their situation.

With regards to Gyro catching up to Diego: he does in fact do it magically. The corpse parts are moving together. That is how Gyro and Johnny can make up for hours of disadvantage.
While they are focusing on Diego, they can not get past him, because their corpse parts are drawn to his. Once Gyro starts focusing on the goal ahead instead (the spine, which is also Diego's goal), he appears at the same position as Diego.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

Bonus non-serious take: Ringo believes he's an rpg character, which is why he thinks he can achieve personal growth by killing people.

Araki is telling us that D&D is the work of the devil.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Part 9 should be Araki's Greed Island.

Dragonwagon posted:

With regards to Gyro catching up to Diego: he does in fact do it magically. The corpse parts are moving together. That is how Gyro and Johnny can make up for hours of disadvantage.
While they are focusing on Diego, they can not get past him, because their corpse parts are drawn to his. Once Gyro starts focusing on the goal ahead instead (the spine, which is also Diego's goal), he appears at the same position as Diego.

Okay, I straight up did not notice this, thanks for pointing it out. I figured it was just Gyro feeling inspired enough that he caught up super quick. There was a similar moment in Stage 1 where Diego caught up so quick to Gyro it felt like he teleported next to him, so I shrugged and accepted it. Really though, I wouldn't have minded that happening again, what sat unwell with me was that Gyro pulling it off was directly inspired by the lunatic gunman who forced people into duels teaching him a valuable life lesson about going his own way. And that part is still there, in-universe explanation aside so... Oh well. Moving on.

Also, while I'm being negative and coming across as a hater, can I say it kind of sucks that Gaucho is from Mexico? The northmost and southmost extremes of latin america aren't the same place, come on Araki.

To end this post saying something positive: I'd completely forgotten about Diego creating dinosaur ticks to attack Valkyrie and I'm glad I got to read those panels as if it were the first time again because it's the best kind of goofy nonsense.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Dragonwagon posted:

Bonus non-serious take: Ringo believes he's an rpg character, which is why he thinks he can achieve personal growth by killing people.

Araki is telling us that D&D is the work of the devil.

Hey now, Ringo already fixed his childhood diseases by levelling up. He's got it figured out.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

GimmickMan posted:

Really though, I wouldn't have minded that happening again, what sat unwell with me was that Gyro pulling it off was directly inspired by the lunatic gunman who forced people into duels teaching him a valuable life lesson about going his own way. And that part is still there, in-universe explanation aside so... Oh well. Moving on.

I mean, it's not like he fully adapted Ringo's philosophy. He just managed to find a nugget of gold in a heap of trash.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The thing with Ringo is that he and his philosophy are not necessarily portrayed as being morally good. When he talks about Johnny having a "dark determination" I don't think we are supposed to think that that's the sign of a good person. And to me that's one of the better things about SBR; sure, we know we are following the "good guys", because they get pitted against a secretive conspiracy that is very much willing to murder people in order to silence them in the pursuit of greater power. But from his flashback we know Johnny is kind of a selfish rear end in a top hat, and he's in the race just because he thinks he might find a way to walk again. Gyro is only really trying to save the kid not just because it's unjust, but moreso because he is the one scheduled to kill him, it's because of his personal involvement in injustice.

There's a lot of grey morality in SBR and for me that makes for a better story.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, Johnny's dark determination isn't meant to be a positive trait.

One interesting tidbit about Ringo that gets mentioned in the description of Mandom is that he doesn't actually need to use the pocket-watch to activate Mandom, its just a limitation he placed on himself assumingly to "play fair".

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Speaking of grey morality, I don't think Mountain Tim's affection for Lucy is particularly portrayed as justified, either as a "Japanese thing" or an "old timey thing". Steven has been quite intentionally shown to have an entirely platonic love for her, and the age difference between them has been pointed out as not normal. Lucy was thankful for the rescue, but rejected Tim's advances. At the same time, his affection isn't really explicitly condemned either, but that's because - incidentally - he dies.

Before this, Mountain Tim had been portrayed as pretty much nothing but a good, honest and skilled man. Turns out he wasn't necessarily a paragon of virtue after all, which shouldn't really come as a shock if it weren't for him being a comic book character. Soon after he was shown to have this (dark? grey?) side to him, he was killed off as a direct result of him acting on it, and even endangering Lucy by tightly hugging her. Intentional? Dunno.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Considering the other people that eventually creep on Lucy are all villains, yeah I don't think Araki wanted us to think Mountain Tim was that much of a cool dude at the end of it all.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 28, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's a bit we'll get to next week where it becomes... kind of an issue. Mountain Tim is weird even if you can find ways to explain it, but it's not gonna get better.

Not trying to discuss future stuff, so that's all I'll say.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

the Dark DeterminationTM seems to be a trait that araki is making with the joestars

the concept as a keyword comes up in other parts

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

tiistai posted:

Speaking of grey morality, I don't think Mountain Tim's affection for Lucy is particularly portrayed as justified, either as a "Japanese thing" or an "old timey thing". Steven has been quite intentionally shown to have an entirely platonic love for her, and the age difference between them has been pointed out as not normal. Lucy was thankful for the rescue, but rejected Tim's advances. At the same time, his affection isn't really explicitly condemned either, but that's because - incidentally - he dies.

Before this, Mountain Tim had been portrayed as pretty much nothing but a good, honest and skilled man. Turns out he wasn't necessarily a paragon of virtue after all, which shouldn't really come as a shock if it weren't for him being a comic book character. Soon after he was shown to have this (dark? grey?) side to him, he was killed off as a direct result of him acting on it, and even endangering Lucy by tightly hugging her. Intentional? Dunno.

he considered her the love of his life and that if he could have the love of a good woman (her) he would be content in every other aspect of his life. He acted selfishly and recklessly in trying to convince lucy to be with him, and she remained loyal to her husband regardless.

He was corned by the president's assshole and chose to die rather than betray her, but his selfishness with regard to the hug gave her away anyway. Idiot died for nothing.

I look at the whole situation as him making an inappropriate pass at her, and then choosing to sacrifice himself on her behalf to regain his honor and goodness.

I thought it was all fine in the context of the story

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's weird, I remembered Mountain Tim making more than three appearances, also remembered Oh! Lonesome Me doing even crazier poo poo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gaaaah I hate the cliffhangers I wanna read mooooooooooooore

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Stay strong, otherwise you'll binge it all on day one and feel too awkward to participate for fear of dropping spoilers

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I love the close up face shots Araki does in this part. This one stands out to me as especially nice.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i love johnny, he looks so cool

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I feel like you can get a pretty clear reading of The True Man's World when Gyro sees his father basically tell him the same thing about sentimentality and Gyro tells him to gently caress off.

That and with "Welcome....to the true man's world..." Gyro doesn't look like he accomplished something good or cool. He looks like he just did something dirty and awful. This was also the first time that we've seen Gyro do the same thing that Johnny does where they scream the other one's name, and Johnny almost getting killed is the thing that made it more personal to him.

His sentimentality ended up winning the fight, in the end.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

I love the close up face shots Araki does in this part. This one stands out to me as especially nice.

I'm reading SBR in black and white because I have a thing for what the original material was like, but I don't mind the coloured scans. Something feels off here though, and I can't put my finger on what. Might be the darker skintone used? The same panel in B&W gives me more of a 1000-yard-stare vibe.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Now that I've caught up, is it cool to say who's corpse it is now? I feel like that bit with Blackmore is pretty much a reveal at this point.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

BaDandy posted:

Now that I've caught up, is it cool to say who's corpse it is now? I feel like that bit with Blackmore is pretty much a reveal at this point.

If you didnt realize it's that guy by now idk like idk

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
A "saint" from 1900 years ago...?

Nah, couldn't be...

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you're right. we should recognize the corpse of saint james the greater as is only proper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm pretty sure it's Aphrodisius, who after being decapitated by pagans, picked up his head and walked home.