Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Come on! Daddy needs a net 11 points!

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about!

Well, this gets me nothing.

Again, that is better.

The Soviets know my plans, and target my airfields.

Drum roll please....

Bingo! The Allies have now lost more planes, ships and troops than I have! I also hold more land.

Their situation in untenable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The numbers make me happy.

Eh, at least an attempt was made.

Kalgan falls today.

Another slow Soviet advance.

We approach the Midway leg of our journey.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
It showed me how many ships were claimed by mines as opposed to active combat. A steady drip of sinkings.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The Med was practically designed for mining.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

BurningStone posted:

It showed me how many ships were claimed by mines as opposed to active combat. A steady drip of sinkings.

Don't get assigned to a minesweeper. Behind the front lines, they said. Not getting shot at, they said. Hah!

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Don't get assigned to a minesweeper. Behind the front lines, they said. Not getting shot at, they said. Hah!

How lethal is accidentally setting off a mine? I learned from this thread they got blown up all the time, but wondering if this is something the crew could usually survive or if was just as lethal for them as the ship.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Chuu posted:

How lethal is accidentally setting off a mine? I learned from this thread they got blown up all the time, but wondering if this is something the crew could usually survive or if was just as lethal for them as the ship.

I couldn't find it, but I saw a painting once of a minesweeper hitting a mine. In ww1 at least, the minesweepers were converted fishing trawlers and the like and usually made of wood.

Long story short, this minesweeper hit a mine, and it showed the ship's bow completely blown off.

So you could probably survive it if you were at the stern.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Famously the minesweepers at the dardenelles got the poo poo shot out of them too

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They were mostly wood in WW2 as well. Lots of the mines had magnetic triggers, so it made sense.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Is it possible you took out the 509th or is the AI just coded to only nuke the Home Islands?

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Chuu posted:

There's always going to be a lot of "it depends" to these kinds of question. How large and well built is your ship? Is it a contact mine or some variety of influence mine? Was it triggered by sweeping gear or the ship itself? I have the impression that the typical mine strike isn't immediately fatal, but one thing to remember is that as bad as being on a boat in the middle of a minefield is, not having the boat is worse. Even if there are friendlies nearby, there are plenty of cases of a would-be rescuer hitting another mine in the attempt.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

For a major example of the latter point, both the pre-dreadnaught battleships the Japanese lost in the Russo-Japanese War were to mines (incidentally, two weeks before Tsushima). Their flagship Hatsuse hit one and became disabled, and Yashima proceeded to hit two more while attempting to assist. Final result was Hatsuse drifting into another mine that detonated its magazine, and Yashima sinking hours later while under tow.

Also a good example of why shipbuilders decided they needed underwater protection for ships, even aside from torpedoes.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Oh yeah, they still have subs. I'd forgotten.

It seems to be another of those active sub phases.

Poor show guys.

Very poor show.

Keep on bombing, keep on bombing.

Another Soviet advance.

We shot down a load of enemy search planes, so numbers are still good for today.

As long as you don't look at ships.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

A bad day, or running low on planes?

Just a split wave!

A British cruiser, there? I kind of doubt that.

This is a strange place to attack, they must have come down from the North West.

Kind of an odd day for enemy placement....

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

<awaiting wave of Swordfish bombing Yokosuka>

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

5 swordfish all working together to carry a nuke slung between them all...

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Dr. Despair posted:

5 swordfish all working together to carry a nuke slung between them all...

What, held under the dorsal guiding feathers horizontal stabilizer?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We take out some invaders.

Blink and you'll miss it today.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

One thing I wish this game had without needing mods was a way to change Japanese research to include improvements to their ToE and not just newer engines and airframes. When you have the resources that Grey does it would make sense that they would put at least some of them into developing proper semi-automatic rifles, better artillery, and maybe a Japanese version of the bazooka or Panzerfaust.

As other games Grey has run have shown us loving lol going up against an army that has semi-automatic weapons when you have bolt-action rifles.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Unfortunately that ability was sabotaged by the IJN so they could fit in a few more battleship conversions.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

All of this game's mechanics essentially assume the Japanese will do as badly as they did historically, while simultaneously the game's allied AI is fully capable of allowing the Japanese to do massively better than they did historically. Failing to provide the Japanese player with mechanisms to "realistically" take advantage or make use of their better performance is an abject failure to make this game be a game.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The Strategic Command games are probably the best thing I'll get in this case, then.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Like I guess they did make some concessions, like you can maybe finish a few ships that were still in progress at the war's end IRL, same with some airplane models. But for example the game clearly just assumes you'll never be capable of taking chun king, you'll never have the resources that you'd want to update your TOE, you'll never choose a path that gets you effective ASW, whatever. It's a frustratingly narrow-minded view, particularly for a game that also gives you the supposed ability for a major victory by the Japanese side through hugely outscoring the allied side. How could you possibly achieve that without coming toward the end game with more preserved resources, capabilities, manpower, territory, or whatever combination of those?

And yet it simulates every squad of soldiers, different airplane engine models, torpedo distribution and provisioning logistics, etc. in minute detail.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
There's no good way to handle that unless you want to enter "what if Hitler was a gay black Jewish woman" territory though. The "Japanese destroyer Captain" Captain mentions being surprised that naval HQ just accepted his proofs of mistakes in their torpedo doctrine and tables rather than straight up telling him he was wrong. You would have to drastically remove heads from various rear ends to get reasonable TOE changes when The Fighting Spirit was enough for them.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 29, 2019

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Volmarias posted:

There's no good way to handle that unless you want to enter "what if Hitler was a gay black Jewish woman" territory though. The "Japanese destroyer Captain" Captain mentions being surprised that naval HQ just accepted his proofs of mistakes in their torpedo doctrine and tables rather than straight up telling him he was wrong. You would have to drastically remove heads from various rear ends to get reasonable TOE changes when The Fighting Spirit was enough for them.

The Japanese did have a fleeting experimental program of copying the Garand so I don't think that some stuff is entirely out of the question but yeah most of that would have been extremely difficult to change at the very least.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
The assumptions of the game also have a huge impact on the Allied forces - if the Allies were really getting their butts kicked as hard as a human Japanese player typically does to an Allied AI, you'd expect that some of the forces being sent to Europe would have been sent to the Pacific instead, and some of the withdrawals for Atlantic operations would happen differently or not at all.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Boom.

We have a good day here.

This is a fair fight.

So is this.

Two bases lost in a day.

The fleet has reached the turn.....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Always makes me happy.

Another base falls to the Soviets.

fairly dull day,

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

gohuskies posted:

The assumptions of the game also have a huge impact on the Allied forces - if the Allies were really getting their butts kicked as hard as a human Japanese player typically does to an Allied AI, you'd expect that some of the forces being sent to Europe would have been sent to the Pacific instead, and some of the withdrawals for Atlantic operations would happen differently or not at all.

Going by how the AI has been operating it could have command of a modern carrier battlegroup and would still fail to take Rabaul. The problem here isn't resources, it's that the AI is fundamentally broken (See: we haven't seen an Allied carrier in nearly a year)

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Is September 1st going to be the last day of the LP? The fleet should be able to start the attack by then.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Yeah, when is the fleet projected to arrive

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Maybe not the last day. There has been AI fuckery meaning the 1st was a bit anticlimatic

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

Maybe not the last day. There has been AI fuckery meaning the 1st was a bit anticlimatic

:(

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Grey Hunter posted:

Another base falls to the Soviets.

1823 vehicles. Most of those are tanks, right?

You are doomed (in a few months).

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Batfish is going to show up and sink the entire KB, I bet.

srusnak102
Apr 13, 2015
Why did you not build up your forts in manchuria?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Better things to throw supply at.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Flawless!

Another base falls. The Soviet advance seems to be picking up speed.

My god, they had a bad day in the air there.

September 1st. Pearl Harder.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!