Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Righto, here's some boats I slapped together:

The Proyekt 11117 destroyer boasts a 30 knot top speed, a broadside of four 5" guns with plenty of ammo, 9 torpedoes and a fashionable asymmetrical look that will hopefully not be out of fashion by the time they're actually finished. What's not to love(provided you don't actually have to crew this thing)?

The Proyekt 50617 is honestly just a halfassed design, made mostly because I felt I should submit a seaplane tender, but at least it has ten seaplanes and won't blow up if you look at it funny. It won't fare well against anything bigger than a corvette though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

(Prince Valeryan Igorovich Urodlivyy, founding member of the Русские созданы для борьбы и победы Salon, at a historical costume ball in St. Petersburg, circa 1899)

Ah, Lords of the Admiralty! So good of you to join me at the Saint Petersburg Aerodrome. As per your requests, I have two designs to present for your perusal. While neither of them are the mighty battleships we all wish to be building, I believe you will find them both worthy endeavors in their own way.

Volga-class Fleet Destroyer

Volga Design

In our war against the Hun it was clear that we at the Salon had failed to take into account the screening responsibilities of a fleet destroyer in our past designs. In order to protect our capital ships, we must have destroyers that can fight on an even footing with the enemies. The Kashin class sadly could not do so, with only four 102mm guns. And for all of that, she still sacrificed capital ship killing power, sporting just a pair of three-tube centerline launchers while making 30 knots. Thanks to technological developments across multiple fields of naval engineering, I can state unequivocally that the Volga is a superior ship, and fully meets our needs for a fleet cruiser. Despite being the same displacement as the Kashin, it boasts a higher top speed, a larger, 127mm, caliber main battery, a 50% increase in the size of its torpedo broadside. On top of all that, she carries an additional six 76mm guns to help in knife fight situations, against enemy shipping, and to batter surfaced submarines. Given an ₽85m budget, we can afford nineteen of these deadly new fleet destroyers.

Elbrus-class Seaplane-Carrier

Elbrus Design

I have to admit that I am aghast at the other designs thus far put forth by our friends. The Admiralty asked for a БОЛЬШОЙ seaplane carrier, not one that's barely larger than the Lodhom Puv. With the thrice-damned Treaty of Washington in effect, we must refocus our fleet upon light forces and naval aviation! 10 seaplanes on a ship will be at best a scouting element, and we will not be able to sortie a significant wave of torpedo bombers at enemy fleets. That is, once we've finally finished developing air dropped torpedoes... but my cousin promises me that it's at the top of his mind and we all know that the boffins would never let their Emperor down. Once equipped with a full two squadrons of torpedo bombers and a six or seven plane scouting element, the Elbrus will be one of the deadliest craft in the Northern Atlantic. Further, while she is not intended to sail into any sort of gun fight, the Elbrus should handily match most light cruisers and be able to defend itself from large numbers of destroyers while retaining the speed to keep away from anything less than a battlecruiser.

Thank you again, my friends, and I look forward to seeing your selections. Give my best to my cousin, and remind him that I am, as always, his loyal servant Valeroshka.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 31, 2019

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I like that we've seen designs representing three very different philosophies of what a seaplane tender is for.

Note that while a seaplane tender is limited to carrying floatplanes specifically, it is actually possible to develop floatplanes with bomb carrying capacity and I'm pretty sure they can eventually even carry torpedoes. It's obviously inferior to a proper fleet carrier with a flight deck but you can still launch air strikes from them once you've got floatplanes that can carry bombs, and large floatplane strikes can be quite lethal against capital ships without good AA protection or fighter cover (especially if they've got thin deck armor or skimped on extended deck protection). I've fireballed a dreadnought with a lucky turret top hit from a floatplane bomb before.

Also the Elbrus should in theory be murderously effective as a commerce raider (albeit an expensive one) well into the late game, even after being obsoleted in its intended role by fleet carriers.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 31, 2019

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

There were seaplane torpedo bombers in WWI, for example the first plane to ever sink a ship with a torpedo.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Why do people still insist on putting secondary batteries, and freakin' useless 2- and 3-inch popguns onto destroyers? It's not the early 1900's anymore. :psyduck:

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Magni posted:

Why do people still insist on putting secondary batteries, and freakin' useless 2- and 3-inch popguns onto destroyers? It's not the early 1900's anymore. :psyduck:

Until you get directors on DDs 3 inch secondaries are fine, as volume of fire is better and it's not like DDs have armor that makes 3" guns completely ineffective... But not at the expense of primary armament like the Volga.

But I don't understand why people are designing 1100T DDs that go 30 knots in 1918.

I'd put a design up but I don't have access to the game.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I can't fit another 5" gun on the centerline, so I went with the 3" since destroyers have no armor. Also, it's friggin hard with our tech to get anything up above 31 knots and still able to fit any amount of armament in 1100 tons.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Incidentally, here are the the stats on the most advanced foreign destroyers we know of:

The USA hasn't finished building any of its 1500 ton destroyers, Japan's navy is mostly underwater and Austria-Hungary is Austria-Hungary and therefore irrelevant.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Infidelicious posted:

Until you get directors on DDs 3 inch secondaries are fine, as volume of fire is better and it's not like DDs have armor that makes 3" guns completely ineffective... But not at the expense of primary armament like the Volga.

But I don't understand why people are designing 1100T DDs that go 30 knots in 1918.

I'd put a design up but I don't have access to the game.

Because that's as big as we have?

Plus tiny secondaries let you keep fighting once you're out of main gun ammo. Especially good if we get destroyers in a convoy raid

Edit: also pretty sure that theres a bill that requires AA or light artillery that could maybe be convinced to look up on all vessels

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 1, 2019

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Veloxyll posted:

WIF DA LAST WAAAGH DA DESTROYAS DID DA MOST OF DA EVY LIFTIN AN GOT INTA DA SHOOTY FITES WIF OVA DESTROYAZ
GROMKI IZ MADE TA ANDLE DIS WIF 'FREE 5" GUNZ AN FOUR SMALLA GUNZ FER GETTIN STUK IN ALL 'PROPA LIKE
https://drive.google.com/open?id=10kyuOjmAVjyLXkvueJWLr7Uhy1iXnT_j

DA NAEZDNIK ON DA OVA HAN, IZ A ALL IN WUN FLEETY SKOUT BOAT. KEEP IT IN DA BAK AN IT'LL LAUNCH ITZ SKOUTZ TA FIND DA ENEMY FLEETZ WHEREVAZZ DEY AR WIF 10 FLOATY PLANEZ
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZjORiLKP9CgPXO0oo24ACOM0sN_yrn64

Boksi posted:

Righto, here's some boats I slapped together:

The Proyekt 11117 destroyer boasts a 30 knot top speed, a broadside of four 5" guns with plenty of ammo, 9 torpedoes and a fashionable asymmetrical look that will hopefully not be out of fashion by the time they're actually finished. What's not to love(provided you don't actually have to crew this thing)?

The Proyekt 50617 is honestly just a halfassed design, made mostly because I felt I should submit a seaplane tender, but at least it has ten seaplanes and won't blow up if you look at it funny. It won't fare well against anything bigger than a corvette though.

habeasdorkus posted:

(Prince Valeryan Igorovich Urodlivyy, founding member of the Русские созданы для борьбы и победы Salon, at a historical costume ball in St. Petersburg, circa 1899)

Ah, Lords of the Admiralty! So good of you to join me at the Saint Petersburg Aerodrome. As per your requests, I have two designs to present for your perusal. While neither of them are the mighty battleships we all wish to be building, I believe you will find them both worthy endeavors in their own way.

Volga-class Fleet Destroyer

Volga Design

In our war against the Hun it was clear that we at the Salon had failed to take into account the screening responsibilities of a fleet destroyer in our past designs. In order to protect our capital ships, we must have destroyers that can fight on an even footing with the enemies. The Kashin class sadly could not do so, with only four 102mm guns. And for all of that, she still sacrificed capital ship killing power, sporting just a pair of three-tube centerline launchers while making 30 knots. Thanks to technological developments across multiple fields of naval engineering, I can state unequivocally that the Volga is a superior ship, and fully meets our needs for a fleet cruiser. Despite being the same displacement as the Kashin, it boasts a higher top speed, a larger, 127mm, caliber main battery, a 50% increase in the size of its torpedo broadside. On top of all that, she carries an additional six 76mm guns to help in knife fight situations, against enemy shipping, and to batter surfaced submarines. Given an ₽85m budget, we can afford nineteen of these deadly new fleet destroyers.

Elbrus-class Seaplane-Carrier

Elbrus Design

I have to admit that I am aghast at the other designs thus far put forth by our friends. The Admiralty asked for a БОЛЬШОЙ seaplane carrier, not one that's barely larger than the Lodhom Puv. With the thrice-damned Treaty of Washington in effect, we must refocus our fleet upon light forces and naval aviation! 10 seaplanes on a ship will be at best a scouting element, and we will not be able to sortie a significant wave of torpedo bombers at enemy fleets. That is, once we've finally finished developing air dropped torpedoes... but my cousin promises me that it's at the top of his mind and we all know that the boffins would never let their Emperor down. Once equipped with a full two squadrons of torpedo bombers and a six or seven plane scouting element, the Elbrus will be one of the deadliest craft in the Northern Atlantic. Further, while she is not intended to sail into any sort of gun fight, the Elbrus should handily match most light cruisers and be able to defend itself from large numbers of destroyers while retaining the speed to keep away from anything less than a battlecruiser.

Thank you again, my friends, and I look forward to seeing your selections. Give my best to my cousin, and remind him that I am, as always, his loyal servant Valeroshka.

Okay, back over to you for the vote!

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

There were seaplane torpedo bombers in WWI, for example the first plane to ever sink a ship with a torpedo.

It's hilarious to me that the second confirmed ship kill from an airplane-launched torpedo occurred while the launching airplane was landed on the surface of the water, it's like the airplane equivalent of a u-boat surfacing to engage targets with its deck gun.

Also, while in real life floatplanes could totally carry air-launched torpedoes at around this time, in game it's going to be dependent on what path our research and airplane designs take. I'm actually not 100% positive they can carry torpedoes - I think they can, with a high enough bomb capacity, but I'm not sure. I do know that if developed in the right direction they can grow to carry a pretty respectable bomb load for something so cheap; they're still primarily useful as scouts but can be used for naval strike or even ground attack missions in a pinch.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Grey Hunter posted:

Okay, back over to you for the vote!

A nice mix of designs there. Pick your poison, folks.

(Can't believe I didn't think to try Crossdeck guns.)

Imperial Officer
Oct 21, 2010
Proyekt 11117 and Elbrus

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Proyekt 11117
Elbrus-class

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Danann posted:

Proyekt 11117
Elbrus-class

Myself, also.

The demo version of this is pretty cool- this morning I had superior forces in the area according to the window offering a convoy attack, but I got allocated 2 destroyers and an obsolete cruiser versus seemingly their entire local roster- I shadowed them and used the cruiser to lure them off, brought the destroyers around in a loop and roasted every last merchant with them, and despite damage my cruiser escaped too- massive victory.

Then the very next battle my new expensive fleet ran into a handful of obsolete destroyers at point blank range in the middle of the night and everything died in a mass of torpedoes. Might have to buy this.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Proekt 11117
Naezdnik

Elbrus voters, if all you want is volume of planes then consider this: the Elbrus costs 47,000 and carries 31 planes, while the Naezdnik costs 9,000 and carries 10. If all you want is maximum planes, then we could build 5 Naezdniks for less than the cost of one Elbrus, and be able to field 50 planes instead of 31.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Gromki
Naezdnik

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

vyelkin posted:

Elbrus voters, if all you want is volume of planes then consider this: the Elbrus costs 47,000 and carries 31 planes, while the Naezdnik costs 9,000 and carries 10. If all you want is maximum planes, then we could build 5 Naezdniks for less than the cost of one Elbrus, and be able to field 50 planes instead of 31.

Counterpoint, we're only building one seaplane carrier, and it's supposed to be a large seaplane carrier. :colbert:

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 1, 2019

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Proyekt 11117
Elbrus

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

vyelkin posted:

Proekt 11117
Naezdnik

Counter-counter point, the game will rarely allocate all 5 seaplane carriers into one battle. So realistically, you might show up with 1 or 2, so you want the best one.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Saint Celestine posted:

Counter-counter point, the game will rarely allocate all 5 seaplane carriers into one battle. So realistically, you might show up with 1 or 2, so you want the best one.

However you should consider that they are very good at raiding, so we can have those couple of active duty carriers, while the rest go off and harass enemy shipping.

I gotta go with Volga for speed. and Naezdnik for the above

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Proyekt 11117
Naezdnik

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Imperial Officer posted:

Proyekt 11117 and Elbrus

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Proyekt 11117
Elbrus-class

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Proyekt 11117
Elbrus-class

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

January 1918

We help the British deal with some rebels.

A number of ships finish their reconstruction, and we get the idea to put guns on ships that point into the air.

February 1918

I am continuously asking why I'm not allowed nice things.

We see two new breakthroughs.

I lay down the designs for the destroyers.

March 1918

Singapore breaks free of the British yolk, and we find our new light cruisers are not quite as light as we thought.

Better armour and three light cruisers this month. This allows me to commission 8 new destroyers.

April 1918

Fear of America increases our budget. I lay down eight more subs.

I also call for a new seaplane carrier.

May 1918

We industrialise and export, and see two new ships enter the navy.

June 1918

The docks expand we learn how to invade places better and another of our light cruisers has a crippling flaw.

I also lay down the new seaplane carrier.

July 1918

The people of Hokkaido rebel against our fair rule.

It seems to the US, we begin to round up their agitators.

We take another step towards war.

August 1918

The US mobilize their fleet, but I try and keep the peace.

The US lay down corvettes.

September 1918

More US Operatives are rounded up on Hokkaido.

Our own spies are heroes of course.

We get AA guns, but the US declares war on us.

I activate the fleet. To balance the budget, the construction of the seaplane carrier is halted.

Now we prepare for battle.

No acts will be accepted.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Well so much for that arms treaty that would promote peace across the world. :v:

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Fun fact:
Elpifodor is named after Russian merchant, whose ships were used as a design pattern.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Do we have numbers on the American fleet-in-being?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Since war has been declared do we hae to obey the treaty?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

wedgekree posted:

Since war has been declared do we hae to obey the treaty?

Nope, wars cancel treaties

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

Nope, wars cancel treaties

Yay! Just in time to be broke and not able to throw out any more ships!

Also how well defended are our far east possessions?

Presuming this is gonna be fought there.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

wedgekree posted:

Yay! Just in time to be broke and not able to throw out any more ships!

Also how well defended are our far east possessions?

Presuming this is gonna be fought there.

We're broke because we've been building new ships, this is the best possible timing

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

simplefish posted:

We're broke because we've been building new ships, this is the best possible timing

Except some of them are lemons and the other ones are still being built. At least destroyers don't take too long to build.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Boksi posted:

Except some of them are lemons and the other ones are still being built. At least destroyers don't take too long to build.

Actually, all our heavy in production ships got cancelled due to the arms treaty.

So we're fighting a USA who has BBs and BCs with CAs and lighter. Whee!

This is gonna be great!

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Veloxyll posted:

Actually, all our heavy in production ships got cancelled due to the arms treaty.

So we're fighting a USA who has BBs and BCs with CAs and lighter. Whee!

This is gonna be great!

None of our heavy ships got cancelled because we weren't building any, you doofus. But yes, we will be facing off against a nation that has several battleships and battlecruisers to our one battleship and the Tsar's yacht. Our only saving grace is that they don't have any bases in Europe or the far east, so it'll be more difficult for them to blockade us.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Boksi posted:

None of our heavy ships got cancelled because we weren't building any, you doofus. But yes, we will be facing off against a nation that has several battleships and battlecruisers to our one battleship and the Tsar's yacht. Our only saving grace is that they don't have any bases in Europe or the far east, so it'll be more difficult for them to blockade us.

Assuming their fleets are mostly medium range, can they deploy in Northern Europe? A war in the east would be difficult for us, a lot of our newer light ships are short range. We also haven't built airship bases, much less airbases, in the east; though we will have to wait until years end to look at that.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I should also comment that the game says we can't build torpedo bombers yet, despite continuously yelling at me to build some.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Grey Hunter posted:

I should also comment that the game says we can't build torpedo bombers yet, despite continuously yelling at me to build some.

That's one of the more annoying 'features'. You gotta change your airgroups so they don't have torpedo planes on their TO&E. Just set them all to fighters and floatplanes, or whatever whirlybirds we have access to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

Did we ever scrape enough money together to run the Torpedo bomber design competition BuORD ordered?