Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shadowlz posted:

I'm having fun with classic wow. I forgot how much more rewarding it is. I wish they would have kept the new graphics. If they actually put time and effort into it they could have completely redone the world in glorious new textures and models. Also with their *huge* library of clothing/armor models they could have replaced every piece and had them all be unique.

This right here is proof that wow classic appeal isn't just nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

They did, it was called Tera.

Tera did the combat right but the almost everything else endgame related wrong.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Zaphod42 posted:

This is all super bizarre. That's true of everything? Two and a half men is popular but sucks. But also, value is subjective, so it does make some people happy.

Acting like things that don't appeal to you inherently suck is super selfish. EVERY interest has someone who isn't into it.

Is wow something every single human wants? No. Neither is any videogame.

But according to your logic every book, film, sport, game, etc. Literally every work of art and every activity is a niche. So what? Its meaningless at that point.

You're making some weirdly global conclusions from "I don't like this thing other people do"

I think the main point that they're trying to make is this:

New releases get hyped to gently caress by PAID Twitch streams to generate more players for said games. Apex was the number one game on Twitch when it came out because they paid streamers to hype the gently caress out of it. Now, all these months later, it's fading (a free to play mobile game has more viewers on Twitch right now than Apex does). Right now, Blizz probably dumped cash on these streamers to hype WoW Classic so it's going to seem like it's the best thing around, but it'll be all but forgotten in 90 days and some other garbage will be the best best thing.

Chomp8645 posted:

Pretty damning that video games are so bad now that one of the biggest events of the year is people flocking back to replay something from over ten years ago, more or less completely unmodified.

Yeah this is pretty telling. That and I got a huge loving laugh out of the thread on the official forums telling people to stop reporting vanilla features as bugs. People cried for years about wanting vanilla and now they are crying because retail features aren't there or are reverted to their lovely vanilla use.

Manxome Foe fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 31, 2019

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

knox posted:

Will there ever been a team-based PvP MMO similar to DAOC (I never played during it's heyday/only experienced small amount but I know the reputation and history)? Is GW2 still considered the best PvP MMO?
I want to play an MMO again and probably will pick up FFXIV if I do, but I mainly am interested in fun PvP.

camelot unchained

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

DancingShade posted:

Tera did the combat right but the almost everything else endgame related wrong.

Oh hard agree.

Teras tanking was just the greatest though. You had to be constantly attacking as hard as you could to keep aggro and every attack just felt so weighty. Then use your instant block to split second not die to huge boss attacks. It was exhilarating in a way no other mmo has captured.

Then I realised I would be doing the same half dozen daily quests a day just to throw a weeks worth of gold into a void because armor upgrades were RNG, so gently caress that.

knox posted:

I want to play an MMO again and probably will pick up FFXIV if I do, but I mainly am interested in fun PvP.

You will be extremely disappointed, the pvp is one of FFXIV's weakest areas. Absolutely incredible class systems, visual styles, housing, dungeons/raids, story, etc, but the pvp is just terrible.

I don't think I'm particularly picky when it comes to MMO pvp either since I loved all of WoW Ashran, GW2 WvWvW, and Tera's Castle Siege, but everything about FFXIV's Frontlines screams lazy and uninspired.

You spend your time running around finding rocks or orbs to smash for points and attacking other players is actually detrimental because you have wasted time instead of running to the next point pinata that hopefully spawned nearer to you then the other teams. It's god awful.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
People are a joy to kill in FFXIV because they always panic and anime jump about trying to save themselves. gently caress objectives and your team. You're probably not going to win anyway or just as worse come in 2nd. Just kill some dudes and have fun because it doesn't matter.

Just don't do FEAST. That shits boring and just arena pillar hugging.

Givin fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 1, 2019

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Kak posted:

camelot unchained

if you don't mind an mmo stuck in development hell, that is

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
has anyone suggested maplestory yet?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Biowarfare posted:

has anyone suggested maplestory yet?

people have kept the thread pretty on topic so no

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I just wish there would more non-fantasy MMO, something with guns. I would love a updated Tabula Rasa without tab combat.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

BexGu posted:

I just wish there would more non-fantasy MMO, something with guns

I think this wish was made on a monkey paw and that's how we got Wildstar.

The Sci-fi MMO that takes place on single planet, with cartoon art that makes everything look fantasy anyway.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, that's the issue isn't it. tab combat is a tried and true problem, which is why any mmo with a budget will just use that.

i think the closest to decent combat, decent mmos we got are warframe, gw2 and ddo. out of those 3, only warframe is very popular today, and it started out *real* rought and only persisted because it was the companys love child. also out of these 3 only gw2 is an actual mmo, the other two are just dungeon crawlers with a 3d lobby.

gw2/tera did show you can do actual combat in an mmo tho, dunno why it won't catch on more.

e: hell, i'll even take a mmo that plays like ragnarok. i stayed with that piece of poo poo game for way too long just because it didn't do tab targeting and positioning was important.

Truga fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 5, 2019

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
archeage is being re-released so im gonna give it a whack as i skipped it entirely the first time around. Looks super fun.

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Vilgefartz posted:

archeage is being re-released so im gonna give it a whack as i skipped it entirely the first time around. Looks super fun.

Same, someone should make a megathread thing for it since I never played it and I could use some information on how it's played.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Tab combat was a crutch to manage latency issues in dialup, we should be capable of better now.

Planetside 2 is an mmo and an fps.

Destiny 2 is not quite an mmo but almost and is an actually good fps.

I want a dark souls mmo so bad :(

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Raioner posted:

Same, someone should make a megathread thing for it since I never played it and I could use some information on how it's played.

I’d screw around with that (playing, not making the thread).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
There's a significant portion of players who have zero interest in playing an FPS MMO. I should know. I are one. Don't try to conflate the concepts.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Toshimo posted:

There's a significant portion of players who have zero interest in playing an FPS MMO. I should know. I are one. Don't try to conflate the concepts.

To be frank he doesn't give a poo poo about someone's like or dislikes. Planetside is an FPSMMO that can maintain real-time combat and manage latency is his point. So if it can, a fantasy hack and slash should.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Nobody did that. You're the one doing that.

I didn't say "All MMOs should be FPS now!" and if you think I said that, you really really need to work on your reading comprehension.

The point is other things are possible. Not that it has to be an FPS. Jesus christ dude.

Glenn Quebec posted:

To be frank he doesn't give a poo poo about someone's like or dislikes. Planetside is an FPSMMO that can maintain real-time combat and manage latency is his point. So if it can, a fantasy hack and slash should.

Thank christ someone got it

I mean I do care about your likes and dislikes but I was merely trying to explain that its technically feasible for an MMO to have more advanced combat. I never suggested that advanced combat has to be FPS.

I even went out of my way to say "I really want a dark souls MMO" and ... you may find that dark souls is not an FPS!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think the thing I missed most about classic WoW era themepark MMOs compared to modern was was that the 0-endgame experience actually mattered. If you weren't some hardened MMO veteran with an optimal grind path mapped out it might take you months to make it to 60. Level 35 gear actually mattered and felt like an accomplishment to get. You actually got to know the low level zones rather than just pinging from map marker to map marker. It felt way more like a living, breathing world.

I don't have the time/desire to play an MMO "seriously" these days but once a year or so I'll pick one up and play it for the free month. Honestly I think the one that best captured that living world feel was TESO because levels were so inconsequential you basically just did whatever you felt like. You could go to any part of the world and pursue whatever quest lines you felt like at the time. You could spend time leveling up your pickpocketing, or unlocking (cosmetic) armor patterns, or becoming a werewolf, and even though they didn't do much to make your character stronger you didn't feel like you were missing out because the "powergaming" options weren't that much more powerful. There was also less incentive to look up everything about the game in some database. For me anyway :v:

Zaphod42 posted:

To comments like this I will always say the same

Do you know about project 1999?

That isn't blizzard. Yes, wow classic is more popular because wow was the most popular mmo of all time, with the largest player base by an order of magnitude?

Is this actually true? The most popular playable MMO I'd believe but I bet the most popular is some shitfest ultragrind KMMO like Lineage or something.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
How is ESO these days anyway, is it actually good or is it just getting by on bethesda fanboys.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Is this actually true? The most popular playable MMO I'd believe but I bet the most popular is some shitfest ultragrind KMMO like Lineage or something.

Most subscriptions. Its true, its hard to compare that to free-to-play korean mmos.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BexGu posted:

I just wish there would more non-fantasy MMO, something with guns. I would love a updated Tabula Rasa without tab combat.

i remember when anarchy online came out as the first sci-fi mmo but it was pretty much fantasy in a sci-fi outfit.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

How is ESO these days anyway, is it actually good or is it just getting by on bethesda fanboys.

It seems to be doing well with people who want more Skyrim? You have that “Go in whatever order you want “ quality that makes any zone appropriate for you, which certainly can lend to the Skyrim feel, but I found that feeling crippled in a ditch after getting curb stomped by the public chat and constant stream of decked out adventurers running everywhere.

Gameplay wise it’s not bad but I found it floaty/disconnected feeling. I haven’t played it very long, however, and that’s when Morrowind launches, so I am a few expansions behind.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

i am tim! posted:

It seems to be doing well with people who want more Skyrim? You have that “Go in whatever order you want “ quality that makes any zone appropriate for you, which certainly can lend to the Skyrim feel, but I found that feeling crippled in a ditch after getting curb stomped by the public chat and constant stream of decked out adventurers running everywhere.

Gameplay wise it’s not bad but I found it floaty/disconnected feeling. I haven’t played it very long, however, and that’s when Morrowind launches, so I am a few expansions behind.

ESO doesn't feel anything like Skyrim to me. The combat is this weird extremely mushy action-bars tab combat, like you said, floaty/disconnected, and while Skyrim's combat is also lovely in a lot of ways, its very very very different in how it feels.

I think all the people who wanted Skyrim Online bounced off it fast, but a few people stuck around for its unique flavor.

I played the beta and hated it.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

some of the content was great from someone that loved Morrowind (the Morrowind and Clockwork City DLCs), but the combat is straight up garbage lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i never understood why ESO doesn't play like an elder scrolls game.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Raioner posted:

Also same. I'm tentatively interested, and the buy-in is reasonably inexpensive.
Everything I see about it is 'actually really fun, but ruined by cash shop koreagame crap' so a version that does away with the aforementioned cash shop koreagame crap is pretty appealing.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

Maybe I'm wearing my tin-foil hat a little too tight and it's cutting off circulation to my brain, but maybe if they made one that actually played similarly to a single player Elder Scrolls game it might eat into the profits of their next/current single player Elder Scrolls game?

After all, why play Skyrim offline when you could play it online? Not everyone would do that, but a pretty significant portion. The less that the TES player bubble and the ESO player bubble overlaps the larger their customer base is, theoretically.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

ESO started with Hero Engine and then built their own engine from the ground up.

Elder Scrolls games are in Gamebryo which is a giant flaming turd.

You start from scratch and build a whole new game engine and unless you're REAL careful its not gonna feel the same.
And honestly, Skyrim combat does suck so maybe doing something different was a good idea.

But ESO's is somehow worse. Its like the worst game-feel I've ever experienced.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

When WoW came out, Lineage 1 was still sub based. WoW overtook it and became top dog after less than a year iirc.

Nowadays no fuckin clue with all the F2P poo poo.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Truga posted:

yeah, that's the issue isn't it. tab combat is a tried and true problem, which is why any mmo with a budget will just use that.

i think the closest to decent combat, decent mmos we got are warframe, gw2 and ddo. out of those 3, only warframe is very popular today, and it started out *real* rought and only persisted because it was the companys love child. also out of these 3 only gw2 is an actual mmo, the other two are just dungeon crawlers with a 3d lobby.

gw2/tera did show you can do actual combat in an mmo tho, dunno why it won't catch on more.

e: hell, i'll even take a mmo that plays like ragnarok. i stayed with that piece of poo poo game for way too long just because it didn't do tab targeting and positioning was important.
BDO's combat is very good at not-large-scale, like against monsters and 1v1 and small groups.

It has a big p2w and insane grind problem, though. The entire upgrade system is the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen.

It's also designed to get people to spend a few hundred dollars and then quit after they realize all of those mechanics that seem in-depth or real cool are puddle deep, like the entire tradeskill portion of the game. Which is really cool but genuinely lacks depth once you figure it out.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Khorne posted:

BDO's combat is very good at not-large-scale, like against monsters and 1v1 and small groups.

It has a big p2w and insane grind problem, though. The entire upgrade system is the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen.

It's also designed to get people to spend a few hundred dollars and then quit after they realize all of those mechanics that seem in-depth or real cool are puddle deep, like the entire tradeskill portion of the game. Which is really cool but genuinely lacks depth once you figure it out.

Everyone warned me about the grind. I was like eh nbd, this game is a lot of fun!

Then I hit 56, got duo's in everything and was like EHHH. Especially cause I'm not huge into the lifeskills.

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 6, 2019

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Glenn Quebec posted:

Everyone warned me about the grind. I was like eh nbd, this game is a lot of fun!

Then I hit 56, got duo's in everything and was like EHHH. Especially cause I'm not huge into the lifeskills.

Same thing I did for BDO. Still a fun game from 1-56.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Groovelord Neato posted:

i remember when anarchy online came out as the first sci-fi mmo but it was pretty much fantasy in a sci-fi outfit.

Almost ALL of them where that. Wildstar was just WoW with a new coat of paint and lovely everything else.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Because as this was discussed for the umpteenth time: MMO required design choices clash with core TES design choices (at least modern TES) from either a purely design standpoint (can't be gibbing quest NPCs that other players need) or an implementation standpoint (server-side physics for hundreds/thousands of concurrent is not possible).

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Elder Scrolls Online doesn't do a very good job of being an Elder Scrolls game that is online, but it does a fine job of being an online game based on Elder Scrolls.

Hope that clears everything up.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SweetBro posted:

Because as this was discussed for the umpteenth time: MMO required design choices clash with core TES design choices (at least modern TES) from either a purely design standpoint (can't be gibbing quest NPCs that other players need) or an implementation standpoint (server-side physics for hundreds/thousands of concurrent is not possible).

you could do it like guild wars. you could not do the physics stuff. poo poo it doesn't even have the perspective right. it just doesn't play anything like an elder scrolls game - chomp has the right of it.

BexGu posted:

Almost ALL of them where that. Wildstar was just WoW with a new coat of paint and lovely everything else.

even though i'm obviously a huge slut for the souls games i'm more of a sci-fi guy so it bummed me out in the mmo heyday that there weren't really any true scifi ones apart from star wars.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 7, 2019

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
are we just not counting eve online for some reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

i hated ESO so much in beta, then gave it a shot 1-2 years later at a friend's urging and found it to be a lot more enjoyable. they said something was changed between beta and then that made it a much better game but i can't even begin to remember what it was. i think it's overall pretty fine and solid enough, not amazing.