Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I will likely upgrade to a Series 5 since, as the year progresses, I’ve been in more and more situations where LTE would be useful.

Well, assuming it’s worth it. If it’s a really basic refresh then Series 4 will likely be a far better deal.

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have been contemplating getting an Apple watch for tracking my very mediocre snowboarding and to improve ipod/music controls beyond what my Helmets built in Bluetooth headphones do (my gloves have touch compatible finger tips)

A colleague is selling a new in box series 3 38mm that she has never used. I see this is the first Apple watch to support snow sports.

Can someone provide me some real-world experience on using the watch/apps to track speed, vertical metres travelled, heart rate, or whatever else?

I guess also what price you'd pay for a brand new 3 vs retail price on a 4 right now and what kind of difference in price would make the 3 a worthwhile purchase, since the 4 seems by most peoples accounts to be the better device to buy RIGHT NOW if you arent the type to upgrade every single year.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The big thing about the 4, besides the screen being larger, is that it’s 64-bit and just nice and zippy in general. Also it’s louder than the 3 if you plan on doing a lot if calls on the speaker.

Definitely wait until they release the 5, as all existing watches will get price cuts and the used market will experience a sharp decline in prices as people dump their older watches.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
If the s3 hasn’t been charged much it probably has quite an aged battery too.

The 4 has a lot more faces now on watchOS 6, the noise warning app, and aFib detection if you’re lucky enough to have fast moving medical device approvals...

At this point I’d say definitely wait until (assume) September 10th or so before committing to anything; and you might see some fire sales of the 3 and 4 from stores around the place too.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Laserface posted:

Can someone provide me some real-world experience on using the watch/apps to track speed, vertical metres travelled, heart rate, or whatever else?

To address your specific usage, I’ve always (far prior to wearables) used the Ski Tracks app, which monitors all the snowboardy stats (vert, runs, lifts, speed etc) without requiring the watch. It does integrate with a watch app for display and pipes the data back to the activity app, but doesn’t rely on any specific model of the watch (and would work fine without a watch). Also integrates with music controls, but to be honest I just use my helmet buttons rather than futzing with pulling my sleeve up and using a tiny touchscreen.

The only thing missing here is the heart rate monitoring, which you’d need to use the watch’s built in activity app rather than Ski Tracks (and lose out on more specific ski/snowboard tracking). I just looked back and while all my snowboarding exercise minutes/calories are logged in Activity, my heartrate isn’t. It’s logged in the Health app with the same regularity as a non-workout time period, which is still good enough for me to roughly correlate a peak to proposing on a black run this year :allears:.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The screen on the series 4 is so noticeably bigger / better I would never buy a series 3 today.

(Speaking as someone who wears a hand-me-down series 3 and is waiting for the next release to upgrade,)

smr
Dec 18, 2002

On iOS 13.1 Beta, the watch drain issue is back. My S4 isn't on the watchOS beta but it killed itself in record time yesterday after I upgraded my phone.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I was wondering what was up, cause my S4, which hasn’t been touched beta update wise, was at like 10% last night when it’s usually around 40. Didn’t realize it could be my phone, which has been touched beta update wise

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

smr posted:

On iOS 13.1 Beta, the watch drain issue is back. My S4 isn't on the watchOS beta but it killed itself in record time yesterday after I upgraded my phone.

Huh, I got that yesterday too and just assumed I hadn't sat my watch on the charger correctly overnight (S3 watch on stable release, X on 13.1, 10% warning by 5pm). But today I'm at 70% remaining after 12 hours off the charger, so who knows what's going on.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Froist posted:

Huh, I got that yesterday too and just assumed I hadn't sat my watch on the charger correctly overnight (S3 watch on stable release, X on 13.1, 10% warning by 5pm). But today I'm at 70% remaining after 12 hours off the charger, so who knows what's going on.

I've had it two nights in a row; I usually wake up (I wear mine to bed) with a quarter charge left and just refill while I shower/get ready, but since the 13.1 update, it's died at around 2am every night (which sucks for the sleep-tracking situation). Just gonna use my Versa 'til the next beta update.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Speaking of, I think battery life will have to be the next improvement that makes me upgrade. Right now I get 1-2 days. I’d need like 4-5 to make it worth it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

colachute posted:

Speaking of, I think battery life will have to be the next improvement that makes me upgrade. Right now I get 1-2 days. I’d need like 4-5 to make it worth it.

That and more health sensors are what I want most out of it going forward.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those two goals seem to be in opposition because adding more sensors is just going to put more load on the battery. :v:

I'd like to see them come up with a way to slim down the sensor cluster so it doesn't stick out so far. It gives the watch too much of a profile and is pretty uncomfortable under gloves.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

smr posted:

lmao this has happened on like 35% of the public betas so far.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This just popped up

https://support.apple.com/screen-replacement-program-apple-watch-series-2-3

quote:

Screen Replacement Program for Aluminum Models of Apple Watch Series 2 and Series 3

Apple has determined that, under very rare circumstances, a crack may form along the rounded edge of the screen in aluminum models of an Apple Watch Series 2 or Series 3. The crack may begin on one side and then may continue around the screen as shown in the images below.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

MarcusSA posted:

This just popped up

:newlol:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Hmm, I actually have a cracked corner on my aluminum series 3, but hard to tell if it’s the same issue described there.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

smackfu posted:

The screen on the series 4 is so noticeably bigger / better I would never buy a series 3 today.

This is my experience as well. I went from an S1 to an S4 and aside from the obvious significant performance improvements, the screen size felt like going from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone X. It's very very nice.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

smackfu posted:

Hmm, I actually have a cracked corner on my aluminum series 3, but hard to tell if it’s the same issue described there.

Might as well try your luck at an Apple Store.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is anyone running the iOS 13.1 beta AND the WatchOS 6 beta? Are you getting the drain issue that others are reporting if they're running iOS 13.1 and WatchOS 5?

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is anyone running the iOS 13.1 beta AND the WatchOS 6 beta? Are you getting the drain issue that others are reporting if they're running iOS 13.1 and WatchOS 5?

Only issue with this combination is “the ghost clown” or Siri activating from white or pink noise. Weirdest part is only in my kitchen; nowhere else.

Cooking or running water tricks the device but no noticeable difference in battery or back to non-beta performance. Still, if you have waited this long I’d wait another few weeks for the final public full versions.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Didn’t we usually have more concrete leaks around this time of the year? I wonder if the rumors are true that there will be no series 5, and they’ll have a refresh of the 4 with the titanium case options and maybe new colors.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
It’s possible, didn’t they semi-refresh once? Though I’m 99% sure that was in Spring after a real Fall update. The S1?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

For what it’s worth I’m running 13.1 and WatchOS 5 and only ever had the “issue” once, which makes me think I didn’t put it on the charger properly rather than it being an actual issue. (In my case)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Zwille posted:

It’s possible, didn’t they semi-refresh once? Though I’m 99% sure that was in Spring after a real Fall update. The S1?
The original launched in April, and the following year (2016) they did the series two and the series one alongside it. Kinda weird in hindsight, but the cheaper s1 did help get more people on board with the watch.

There’s been a new watch every year since.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd be shocked if they release a refreshed Series 4 with new case materials.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Yeah, they’re too scared of their numbers dropping to not release a new model even if it’s a modest upgrade and name change.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Does anyone else have spotty (at best) performance from the Spotify app? I think it works like maybe 40% of the time for me and there's usually a lag. I almost always switch to the native Now Playing when controlling Spotify on my phone and it seems to work substantially better for me. This is using a basic Series 3 with no LTE antenna.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Why the hell do both Runkeeper and ismoothrun both keep failing to give me audio updates? I've deleted/reinstalled both and it happens again. All settings seem to be correctly set, as they will I initially work, then randomly fail one day and forever go silent. Check the settings, no change. Hella frustrating.

cheeeeesecake
Aug 16, 2003
So I use Strava, but I have noticed that if I'm running and do music from the phone and strava on my watch, that I will not get interval updates through my airpods. But if I do both the music and strava from the watch only, both apps work through the pods. The sound from strava still does come from the watch speaker, but not into the pods. Might be whats happening to you as well?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

cheeeeesecake posted:

So I use Strava, but I have noticed that if I'm running and do music from the phone and strava on my watch, that I will not get interval updates through my airpods. But if I do both the music and strava from the watch only, both apps work through the pods. The sound from strava still does come from the watch speaker, but not into the pods. Might be whats happening to you as well?

I'm running watch only, music coming out of the watch. When it worked it would turn the music down a bit and give stats. So I don't know what's up. I'm so sick of deleting/redownloading the apps I've given up at this point.

But I'd still like at least one of them to work correctly.

Itchy Tony Manero
Mar 29, 2010

Series 5 has an always-on display so this time people can totally tell if you didn’t upgrade.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

drat they straight up killed the series 4 and are still producing the 3? That's pretty wild.

Since they claim battery life is unchanged, I wonder if the 5 will let you fully turn off the screen like previous watches work and get a battery life boost.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I mean the series 4 would drop to like...$299 for the cheapest model, so I imagine selling the perfectly good Series 3 at $199 is going to get more sales.

Kinda like with the Series 1.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

xzzy posted:

drat they straight up killed the series 4 and are still producing the 3? That's pretty wild.

Since they claim battery life is unchanged, I wonder if the 5 will let you fully turn off the screen like previous watches work and get a battery life boost.

I hope you can make it work like on older watches. That poo poo would bug the hell out of me since it just seems so wasteful from an energy standpoint. I also wouldn't like it from a privacy standpoint.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

I also wouldn't like it from a privacy standpoint.

You don't want other people to know what time it is?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Was “18-hour battery life” an actual bullet point as mentioned on the Mac Rumors live blog? Cause lol if so. The battery is what is holding the watch back by far.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You don't want other people to know what time it is?

The time only takes up like 15% of my screen, it's not my primary reason for wearing a nerd watch. :v:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

When they launched the 3, they stopped making the 2 but kept the 1, so there's precedent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Trade-in values plummeted so my plan to trade in and upgrade to a series is no go. :rip: