Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I liked Jadzia and it's a real shame that she was so poorly served by the writers.

What was the deal with that episode where she fell in love with some random guest star dude and was going to abandon her whole life to be with him on his lovely planet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Somebody got drunk and watched Brigadoon and thought hey we should do this, that's what happened

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

HorseLord posted:

I know it must have been a budget thing but they're clearly just cheap office chairs with no attempt to hide the wheels. Utterly shameful.

I think everybody here is missing the important part: This is a Voyager screencap.

In Star Trek VI they at least hid the castors with a large disc.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Angry_Ed posted:

Also Troi getting drunk is funny but yeah she needed more to do. Troi always needed more to do that didn't involve her being psychically assaulted :sigh:

You just reminded me that the other day it occurred to me, while it's nowhere near o'brien levels, there is something of a recurring "Troi must suffer" theme.

- becomes a "receptacle" for psychic toxins
- "oh god the music make it stop"
- freaking out in the mirror after being possessed by xenophobic alien
- possessed by convict from psychic penal colony
- "one moon circles"
- and of course telepathically raped how many times?

I'm positive that's not all of them because I don't have that kind of recall. (But I know a lot of you do.)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Stabbed by data cause she had an invisible bug on her

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

McNally posted:

I think everybody here is missing the important part: This is a Voyager screencap.

Oh poo poo haha

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

McNally posted:

In Star Trek VI they at least hid the castors with a large disc.

This made me look up the Memory Alpha article on Excelsior. It's apparently canon that this ship spent at least five years in space dock doing nothing.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This made me look up the Memory Alpha article on Excelsior. It's apparently canon that this ship spent at least five years in space dock doing nothing.

When Scotty breaks a ship he doesn't half-rear end it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Once you start examining those two shots, there are a number of differences. The tiers of the center of the bridge are different (the captain's chair is elevated from the forward stations in the movie while it's on the same level there.) The whole bridge itself seems to be smaller diameter as the MSD in the back appears to be the same size, but the movie has more space around it and flanking lights.

Edit: actually as I look at it more, I think those are all perspective issues. The extra tier is hidden from view and the MSD is in an alcove that obscures the flanking lights when viewed straight on.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 30, 2019

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I repeat myself, but... I think there were only a few ways to make Dax really work, none of which were ever likely to happen.

She could've worked as a main character. Every episode would've given us a chance to better understand exactly how that whole thing works, mentally and emotionally. It's a super complicated, alien concept that really can't be done justice in a handful of scattered episodes and offhand remarks. Or alternately, just barely bring it up at all and let it be a weird piece of trivia, but don't expect it to be taken seriously.

The other option would be to plan the whole death/switcheroo to happen mid-series. But that's more of a modern, prestige TV move. Back then you didn't kill characters off unless the actor was leaving.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Hipster_Doofus posted:

You just reminded me that the other day it occurred to me, while it's nowhere near o'brien levels, there is something of a recurring "Troi must suffer" theme.

- becomes a "receptacle" for psychic toxins
- "oh god the music make it stop"
- freaking out in the mirror after being possessed by xenophobic alien
- possessed by convict from psychic penal colony
- "one moon circles"
- and of course telepathically raped how many times?

I'm positive that's not all of them because I don't have that kind of recall. (But I know a lot of you do.)

Pretty sure every Troi centric episode she gets violated somehow.

Even the one where she pretends to be a Romulan she gets kidnapped and surgically altered without her consent.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Sure, why not?

Excelsior was supposed to use "transwarp drive". But my recollection is the next time we hear about transwarp (sometime late TNG, I think? was the Borg space tunnel in Descent a transwarp dealie?) it's still treated as being beyond Federation technology.

It's easy to imagine that Starfleet tows Excelsior back in, undoes Scotty's handiwork, sends it out again... and it still fails to make transwarp work. So they spend however long trying to make it work, and after some point they just give up and rip out whatever makes it "transwarp", and maybe there's additional time needed to design and install a standard warp drive in the Excelsior spaceframe.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Jadzia's got joie de vivre for days, she's game for anything.
Again, Kurzon.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Excelsior was supposed to use "transwarp drive". But my recollection is the next time we hear about transwarp (sometime late TNG, I think? was the Borg space tunnel in Descent a transwarp dealie?) it's still treated as being beyond Federation technology.

I think they were called "subspace conduits" in Descent and then Voyager retconned them to be called transwarp conduits, but like gently caress if I'm re-watching Descent to remember.

quote:

It's easy to imagine that Starfleet tows Excelsior back in, undoes Scotty's handiwork, sends it out again... and it still fails to make transwarp work. So they spend however long trying to make it work, and after some point they just give up and rip out whatever makes it "transwarp", and maybe there's additional time needed to design and install a standard warp drive in the Excelsior spaceframe.

I think in some godforsaken Trek novel, they say that TNG-era warp is actually Excelsior's transwarp and they just re-configured the warp scale.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
All that said I don't even know where the gently caress Memory Alpha is getting that the ship was laid up in spacedock doing nothing for five years, and just because it's in MA doesn't mean it's "canon" (it just means some loving nerd/cabal of nerds thinks it is), not to even get into the meaninglessness of "canon" as applied to Star Trek or other fictional universe in the first place....

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Voyager episode idea: entire crew turns into Harry Kims and Janeway has to spend the whole episode shooting down their misplaced optimism.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I said come in! posted:

Voyager episode idea: entire crew turns into Harry Kims and Janeway has to spend the whole episode shooting down their misplaced optimism.

best Voyager episode idea I've heard

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://showsnob.com/2019/08/30/star-trek-picard-jonathan-frakes-on-returning/

quote:

The highly anticipated Star Trek: Picard show is on every Trekkie’s lips. Not only will we see the return of Sir Patrick Stewart as the titular Picard, but several franchise actors will be reprising their roles, some to a lesser extent than others. One of those actors is Jonathan Frakes, who will appear on the show as William T. Riker, Picard’s former Number One. At the recently concluded Fan Expo Canada, Frakes told a packed room of fans about returning to the iconic role and starring opposite Sir Patrick.

quote:

I hadn’t acted in a long, long, long time, I hadn’t played Riker in 18 years. I’ve been very fortunate to be busy directing. I acted briefly in a movie in Winnipeg about 10 years ago. And I had a major anxiety attack.

He also spoke about returning to be a director and what it was like working alongside Patrick Stewart.

quote:

I had just directed two episodes of Picard with Sir Patrick; his acting muscle was well-toned. And Marina (Sirtis) had just closed having starred in a play in the West End in London. So, I knew she was going to be in good form. So, I was a nervous wreck. It ended up going very well. But don’t let anybody tell you it’s like getting back on a bike.

Without a doubt, Frakes loves his job as a director. Only recently, he posted from the set of Star Trek: Discovery season three, declaring how much he loved the ‘gig’. This passion can be seen on-screen in his emotionally-charged, yet vibrantly directed episodes. However, he did mention that being back as an actor came with a few perks – being pampered and waited on is something he could get used to

Frakes was a consummate entertainer during his solo panel; he had the crowd in splits with hilarious anecdotes (some fact, others fiction), and received the loudest cheers when he applied his signature ‘Riker taking a seat’ move. Trekkies, you know which one we’re referring to. This was not an easy feat, either, considering the Fan Expo Canada chairs looked to be quite high-backed, but Frakes didn’t seem to mind at all.

It was clear from Frakes’ answers that the Star Trek family remains tightly knit. He jokingly referred to Sir Patrick as ‘old baldy’ throughout his panel and was effusive about his friendship with Marina Sirtis (Deanna Troi) and Michael Dorn (Worf).

Though Frakes had been barred from revealing any secrets from the Star Trek show, he reiterated that the next season of Discovery embraces a much more traditional and optimistic outlook. He also stated that, despite newer Star Trek shows veering away from Gene Roddenberry’s obvious optimism, as seen in the original series, Frakes doesn’t believe any of the shows (or even JJ Abrams’ reboot) deviated too far from Roddenberry’s initial vision.

It’s almost hard to believe it’s been nearly two decades since the cast of Star Trek: The Next Generation has been on screen. If anything, the hype around Picard is evidence of how far the show has come since its inception. Frakes shared the feeling of skepticism he got from Star Trek fans at his very first convention experience, and how rewarding it was for him to see a completely full room in 2019.

Star Trek: Picard has definitely piqued our curiosity; what will re-visiting these characters mean for fans and the cast alike? Frakes, who had only just finished filming alongside Sir Patrick, mentioned that Stewart was ‘better than ever; he is on fire’. He’s excited for fans to see the show, and Trekkies reciprocate that feeling.

Star Trek: Picard is set to air in early 2020 on CBS All Access.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dang, wonder how Galoob got the rights to both Star Wars and Star Trek.

(rip)

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Sash! posted:

As much as I like the idea and concept of Sisko yelling BLOW UP THE drat SHIP at Picard and reworking a lot of that stuff to be both Picard working through his Ahab complex and Sisko coming to forgive Picard (which I'm pretty sure he never actually does in his story through DS9), I can't even figure out what you'd do with most of the DS9 crew. I suppose you could have truncated it down to Sisko, Worf, Bashir, O'Brien, and Dax. That's basically all you "need" for running the Defiant. Finding stuff for people to do was hard enough with the main characters you did have (Troi!).
I know this is going back a little bit, but I just want to say, I think Kira's experience fighting a guerilla war could have made for some good scenes in First Contact. I can easily imagine a scene with her teaching the Enterprise crew about fighting a superior occupying force. Maybe some of the security personnel don't respect her because she's not Starfleet, and she sets them straight. For something more actiony, maybe she goes to accomplish something in a Borg-controlled section, and ends up having to blow up some Borg with improvised explosives. Doesn't have to be that exactly, my point is I think Kira would have been fun in that movie.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

at this point the movie is 6 hours long

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

maybe actually not according to the internet. it was to spite some tv executives. tho i cannot find the backstory as to why he paints two of his nails

Missing DW-Link
Feb 14, 2019

by VideoGames
So uh... wow? My GIRLFRIEND is the lead trainer at a boutique gym and a massive trek fan like myself. A couple of months ago she called me from work to tell me that Michael Dorn was at her gym. She was freaking out about it and I honestly thought she was pulling my leg. Since then she’s got to know the guy and was able to set up a workout with him, her and myself this week.

So, yeah, I did a workout with Worf. He’s a super cool dude, very down to Earth, and is legit into Trek. The three of us ended up sitting around talking about DS9 for a while after our workout, which was honestly surreal as hell. Sounds like he’s down to be my workout buddy again next week, so I guess this is my life now.

Background blurred to obscure the gym.

Missing DW-Link fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 31, 2019

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

loving rad, man. I'm very jealous

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Missing DW-Link posted:

So uh... wow? My GIRLFRIEND is the lead trainer at a boutique gym and a massive trek fan like myself. A couple of months ago she called me from work to tell me that Michael Dorn was at her gym. She was freaking out about it and I honestly thought she was pulling my leg. Since then she’s got to know the guy and was able to set up a workout with him, her and myself this week.

So, yeah, I did a workout with Worf. He’s a super cool dude, very down to Earth, and is legit into Trek. The three of us ended up sitting around talking about DS9 for a while after our workout, which was honestly surreal as hell. Sounds like he’s down to be my workout buddy again next week, so I guess this is my life now.

Background blurred to obscure the gym.

Next week: Level Two:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

A MOST HONORABLE workout.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

at this point the movie is 6 hours long

At some point it just becomes a DS9 movie because you can do so much more with them.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

The Bloop posted:

loving rad, man. I'm very jealous

:krad:, even

Lessee we've got this, and another person had coffee or something with Robert O'Reilly a while back. Oh and yeah FrensaGeran made Robert Picardo do a hilarious combination of :geno:, :stare:, and :(. Any other close encounters here?

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Sure, why not?

I'd love to have seen what "transwarp not working" means in a situation where scotty hasn't pulled out half of the engine computer. I mean, regular warp already distorts space and time, transwarp is doing something else too, you'd think a failure would cause like that movie event horizon or something.

Incidentally people might not like the 5th movie but you have to admire all the places "Good morning, captain" shows up in that one. Someone chose that particular ship to become the A for a reason

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

HorseLord posted:

I'd love to have seen what "transwarp not working" means in a situation where scotty hasn't pulled out half of the engine computer. I mean, regular warp already distorts space and time, transwarp is doing something else too, you'd think a failure would cause like that movie event horizon or something.

Incidentally people might not like the 5th movie but you have to admire all the places "Good morning, captain" shows up in that one. Someone chose that particular ship to become the A for a reason

Given how everyone battens down before they try and fire the thing up, I bet the simulations said it'd be a rough ride. I imagine a real failed test would not be pretty for the crew.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

This is the perfect opportunity for you to bring prune juice as a post workout beverage, Missing DW-Link.

It is a warrior’s drink, afterall.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I loved the Playmates figures so much when they were pouring out of the factory. So many different characters and sets and whatnot. When you see them these days they’re typically around the $4-5 mark because people just want rid of them, and it’s too easy to just start snapping them up, so I have to resist.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Gonz posted:

This is the perfect opportunity for you to bring prune juice as a post workout beverage, Missing DW-Link.

It is a warrior’s drink, afterall.

Michael Dorn tells a great story about his mother finding all the prune juice fans had given him in his fridge:

Michael Dorn doing a Southern accent posted:

Boy, is there something wrong with you?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

After The War posted:

Michael Dorn tells a great story about his mother finding all the prune juice fans had given him in his fridge:

I really hope this is on video somewhere, I can't find it with a cursory search.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I think if I met Dorn, I'd only be able to tell it was him from his voice.

Missing DW-Link
Feb 14, 2019

by VideoGames

davidspackage posted:

I think if I met Dorn, I'd only be able to tell it was him from his voice.

His real voice isn’t his worf voice. He’s actually very soft spoke.

Dude also works out like absolute crazy. Plays tennis, personal training every day. In amazing shape for being 66 years old. He was telling me about getting older and not being as strong, said he was an old man at 66. I told him 66 isn’t old, but 68 is old as poo poo so he was almost there.

Who knows what I’ll do in life, but I’ll always know that I made an old man joke to Worf and made him laugh.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Is Dorn still wealthy or did the jets doom him?

Missing DW-Link
Feb 14, 2019

by VideoGames

Thom12255 posted:

Is Dorn still wealthy or did the jets doom him?

He lives a few blocks from me in a fairly nice place. I’m sure he’s comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
TOS: Assignment: Earth (the one with Gary Seven)

I'm basically going through TOS checking out the many episodes I hadn't seen. I love the casual opening: "oh yeah, we just traveled back in time, routine job to study history. Peace."

But I hate an all-too-obvious "trying to set up a spinoff" episode. Lots of wacky characters that don't work and the Enterprise crew are loving up to a ridiculous degree.