Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

That's not mainland

There's basically a couple Zhang Yimou films, otherwise nearly all the films that reached the western world were censored pretty hard inside China. That said China has made some really good movies

Modest Mao has issued a correction as of 20:01 on Aug 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Modest Mao posted:

That's not mainland

There's basically a couple Zhang Yimou films, otherwise nearly all the films that reached the western world were censored pretty hard inside China. That said China has made some really good movies

Hero comes to mind

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Spergin Morlock posted:

Hero comes to mind

yeah that's Zhang Yimou

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Modest Mao posted:

Iron Man 2

Modest Mao posted:

the metropoles usually do export good culture

:crossarms:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Darkman Fanpage posted:

they're like scientology but somehow more secretive and also hooked up with the is government lol
like i said i'm already seeing shen yun posters popping up all over and i'm about to break!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8CxAccOh4k&t=64s

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Modest Mao posted:

I guess that's an aspect of it but I dont think anyone forced Chinese to like Iron Man 2 at gunpoint, the japanese to love classical music, latin americans to paint social realist murals or american film students to love Tarkovsky... or basically the entire world to embrace drinking coffee. the metropoles usually do export good culture, I'm hard pressed to think of something that mainland China has given to world culture in the last 100 years

shen yun

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

found typo's twitter

https://mobile.twitter.com/yungneocon/status/1167564020704063488?s=19

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

lmao

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Modest Mao posted:

the metropoles usually do export good culture

Tends to be a lot of money left over to patronize high culture after you've wrung every bit of value out of the colonies. That's also why developing countries tend to be recognized primarily for their novelists. Writing a book is relatively cheap.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
thanks for reposting that bad coplover tweet

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Modest Mao posted:

I guess that's an aspect of it but I dont think anyone forced Chinese to like Iron Man 2 at gunpoint, the japanese to love classical music, latin americans to paint social realist murals or american film students to love Tarkovsky... or basically the entire world to embrace drinking coffee. the metropoles usually do export good culture, I'm hard pressed to think of something that mainland China has given to world culture in the last 100 years

Westerners love the tradtional stuff like acupuncture and feng shui

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Tends to be a lot of money left over to patronize high culture after you've wrung every bit of value out of the colonies. That's also why developing countries tend to be recognized primarily for their novelists. Writing a book is relatively cheap.

Didn't wolf warrior 2 make ~900 million USD. How much are we talkin' to patronize high culture

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Dreddout posted:

Westerners love the tradtional stuff like acupuncture and feng shui

To a degree yeah, and everyone reads print on paper over hand scribed papyrus. But in the last 100 years? You'd think accompanying China's meteoric rise there'd be more cultural diffusion. I did find out that modern E-Cigarettes are a Chinese invention / culture though so that actually counts pretty highly on the scoreboard.

Modest Mao has issued a correction as of 06:18 on Aug 31, 2019

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Three Body was a big fuckin deal when it won a Hugo Award and received wide recognition for being extremely good because it was the first Chinese novel and perhaps the first piece of Chinese fiction to be both good and also not demand any particular familiarity with China, its culture, its history, or anything like that. It's a universally great story that anyone on earth can pick up and read and enjoy if they like good sci-fi. I expect we'll be seeing a lot more cultural products like that out of China.

Then again, it's not like China has ever been particularly bad at exporting cultural influence. There's a few places out there like Korea, Japan, and Vietnam that used to have slap fights over who could be the most Chinese. Japan still uses Chinese characters to write its extremely not Sinitic language.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I was thinking of that book too. But going to pre modern history or sparse, singular examples is sorta where we're at. Yeah we all are reading the roman alphabet now but that doesn't mean Italy is a huge cultural exporter (though maybe 40 years ago it was). E cigs, a few films, a book and chinese medicine in the developing world isn't a nothing either.

Just thinking Taiwan and Hong Kong have made big impacts in several realms with much less political power and population. writing movies music food... though they are on decline in that realm now too. It's not a competition it's just interesting.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Half the drat world watches soaps from Seoul. How did that happen?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Modest Mao posted:

Yeah I was thinking of that book too. But going to pre modern history or sparse, singular examples is sorta where we're at. Yeah we all are reading the roman alphabet now but that doesn't mean Italy is a huge cultural exporter (though maybe 40 years ago it was). E cigs, a few films, a book and chinese medicine in the developing world isn't a nothing either.

Just thinking Taiwan and Hong Kong have made big impacts in several realms with much less political power and population. writing movies music food... though they are on decline in that realm now too. It's not a competition it's just interesting.

Taiwan has the best guava juice, hands down.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Modest Mao posted:

Not exactly replying to this but

China is pretty far behind for accessibility. There's some markings on pavement in big cities for the blind but no wheelchair access to be seen. TV has subtitles but not closed captioning, which I guess is fine.

Taiwan is substantially better. Even films in theaters have subtitles made and projected.

movies in the prc have subtitles too

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AlanRMacLeod/status/1167498495063969798

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
stick around for the eight suggestions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJLVB_vOmg0

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

You'd think that meeting with Marco Rubio would actually be a point in his favor, since Rubio is so inept anything he tries to do fails

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

at the risk of sounding like a moron (I am a china babby), what music is popular in China? is there even a substantial music culture in China? I’m sure the answer is yes because humans love music but all the expats that live around me sit in silent cars and never have earbuds in. they might consume their music differently but I’ve honestly never heard modern Chinese music

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i cannot answer that but a lot of it seems like singer-songwriter ballad stuff like roy wang and joker xue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwIvQ2PsBGw

not really my thing. but i liked seeing polina gagarina blow the pants off the audience on a singing show with an old red army choir hit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drNTuRL8doM

my mainlander friend's favorite band was rammstein though

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 15:04 on Aug 31, 2019

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i cannot answer that but a lot of it seems like singer-songwriter ballad stuff like roy wang and joker xue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwIvQ2PsBGw

not really my thing. but i liked seeing polina gagarina blow the pants off the audience on a singing show with an old red army choir hit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drNTuRL8doM

my mainlander friend's favorite band was rammstein though

all three of those tidbits are pretty encouraging, thanks. I didn’t even mind the ballady pop song

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Modest Mao posted:

To a degree yeah, and everyone reads print on paper over hand scribed papyrus. But in the last 100 years? You'd think accompanying China's meteoric rise there'd be more cultural diffusion. I did find out that modern E-Cigarettes are a Chinese invention / culture though so that actually counts pretty highly on the scoreboard.

The West's fascination with Chinese mysticism isn't really comparable to paper, the former is fairly recent. The new age movement coupled with access to the Chinese diaspora really allowed westerners to adapt Chinese folk beliefs to their worldview. You could argue that China had little say in exporting the culture but it was exported. American housewives weren't buying feng shui manuals 100 years ago.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

a primate posted:

at the risk of sounding like a moron (I am a china babby), what music is popular in China? is there even a substantial music culture in China? I’m sure the answer is yes because humans love music but all the expats that live around me sit in silent cars and never have earbuds in. they might consume their music differently but I’ve honestly never heard modern Chinese music

I know the hip hop scene has really taken off among the youth. 3bangz, vava, and gai are some artists you could check out

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Christina Aguilera is oddly popular in Suzhou, or was. The last time I visited without being arrested by the MSS.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Known Lecher posted:

Yeah I assumed it was there for dialect speakers who might not understand other dialects (or maybe even putonghua if they're real real backwoods), with the side benefit that they also helped the deaf...but I never really thought about how they handled live broadcasts. I guess live signing is all they can do until automated live subtitles get accurate enough.

deaf people tend to prefer signing over reading and would probably be really mad if anyone tried to get rid of the live interpretation ive seen people who know sign language be very sincerely impressed at korean news broadcasts with the little signer in the corner

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

poetry used to be considered the highest form of art until it became easier for dark skinned people and women to do it at which point it almost immediately disappeared as a serious form of cultural expression novels used to be considered explicit trash until it became obvious that they were long term commitments that non privileged people couldnt easily make

i say swears online posted:

Half the drat world watches soaps from Seoul. How did that happen?

countries that arent the united states tend to import a lot of foreign programming which allows for weirder more offbeat stuff to find an audience provided it strikes a specific enough chord the main reason this doesnt happen more often in the united states is because media companies have become stricter when it comes to cracking down on foreign influence

like one example of this is that my dads cable packages use to have a lot of foreign packages and he would watch stuff like rt or japan news or korean historical dramas hes still obsessed with korean historical dramas even though he has to find them on the internet now because they closed down that channel like a decade ago

this context is why i get a just a liiiittle touchy when i see someone talking about how mean other countries are for having quota systems when it comes to american releases because our own media culture is already for all practical intents and purposes an outrageously xenophobic monopoly the only foreign dramas or movies most film or tv critics in this country have heard of is either weird poo poo from the festival circuit that no one in the home country has actually seen or anime

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

this context is why i get a just a liiiittle touchy when i see someone talking about how mean other countries are for having quota systems when it comes to american releases because our own media culture is already for all practical intents and purposes an outrageously xenophobic monopoly the only foreign dramas or movies most film or tv critics in this country have heard of is either weird poo poo from the festival circuit that no one in the home country has actually seen or anime

Dude I’m pretty sure that it’s just because there’s a shitton of English media and Americans prefer poo poo in English. Not going out of your way to watch something in subtitles when there’s more media than you’ll ever be able to watch in your native language and directly designed and marketed towards you and your culture is fairly natural and no exactly “outrageously xenophobic”

Also do you really *really* think that critics don’t watch foreign movies etc because that’s one of the dumbest things that’s been said in this thread and that’s sure as gently caress saying something.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

if you really think critics know poo poo about foreign film you obviously have not tried reading any reviews recently

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

like seriously dude this subforum has multiple threads dedicated to how journalists are complete loving morons who are incapable of the most basic fact checks yet you think film criticism a field that is entirely opinion based where the writers frequently have no past experience in film where reviews themselves are almost entirely dominated by completely pointless plot summaries where supposed experts sincerely believed that movies like black panther and mary poppins returns were among the best of 2018 thats the field where you think anybody has any idea what theyre doing

like how gullible are you well pretty gullible actually since you believe that monopolies arent real and that anglo speaking people just naturally trend toward subtitleless entertainment i mean its not like we have an entire subculture dedicated to insane devotion to glorious nippon right because that would prove your entire hypothesis is completely full of poo poo

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

a primate posted:

Punk and Metal are a bit niche, but they're a thing in China. Wuhan is known for a having a metal scene in the city.

As for mainkanders, mostly Chinese pop coroners, pop acts like Taylor Swift, and big acts like Eminem and Linkin Park.

Okuteru has issued a correction as of 19:05 on Aug 31, 2019

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

a primate posted:

popular western hits are really popular in China, since China accepts bourgeois concepts like "intellectual property" less, you can walk into subway stations and hear western hits like the Frozen song play etc

Cpop (which is heavily influenced by Kpop etc ofc) is also very popular

Typo has issued a correction as of 18:32 on Aug 31, 2019

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Dreddout posted:

The West's fascination with Chinese mysticism isn't really comparable to paper, the former is fairly recent. The new age movement coupled with access to the Chinese diaspora really allowed westerners to adapt Chinese folk beliefs to their worldview. You could argue that China had little say in exporting the culture but it was exported. American housewives weren't buying feng shui manuals 100 years ago.

western fascination with chinese mysticism is like western fascination with chinese food: it's not so much actual chinese thing they are fascinated with as it is western "interpretations" of extracts from is perceived to be chinese culture

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

like how gullible are you well pretty gullible actually since you believe that monopolies arent real and that anglo speaking people just naturally trend toward subtitleless entertainment i mean its not like we have an entire subculture dedicated to insane devotion to glorious nippon right because that would prove your entire hypothesis is completely full of poo poo

People consuming media made in their language and catering to their culture; a monopoly that only exists in Anglo culture.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Some Guy TT posted:

As an insane devotee of glorious Nippon I gotta point out that there's a huge industry dedicated to dubbing the nippon into English because a big portion of the market doesn't like subtitles.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Yeah I rather watch anine dubbed. I also prefer audiobook over text. I even make my own audiobook with Amazon Polly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

LimburgLimbo posted:

People consuming media made in their language and catering to their culture; a monopoly that only exists in Anglo culture.

do you know what the word monopoly means