Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I bought a bunch of beef short ribs to make on the Kamado this weekend. I've never done beef ribs before, any tips or tricks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

wandler20 posted:

I bought a bunch of beef short ribs to make on the Kamado this weekend. I've never done beef ribs before, any tips or tricks?

It's been a few weeks, but I think mine were done at 275 for six hours over hickory with no crutch. My thermometer was shy of 200 before it got probe tender. I used a Montreal steak seasoning but next time I'm using something worth a lot less salt.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Spiggy posted:

It's been a few weeks, but I think mine were done at 275 for six hours over hickory with no crutch. My thermometer was shy of 200 before it got probe tender. I used a Montreal steak seasoning but next time I'm using something worth a lot less salt.

There's a low sodium version of both the Montreal Steak and Montreal Chicken Seasoning!

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

wandler20 posted:

Rub with mustard or franks before applying the rub.

Rub: Two part course pepper to 1 part kosher salt.

Smoke bone side down / towards the heat at a higher temp (275 - 285) for about 5-6 hours. No need to wrap in anything. When it comes time to check to see if they're done, take a thin probe and poke between the bones and go all the way through. You should feel two membranes that you're punching through; when those are easy to pierce and the meat feels nice and tender, you're done.

Take them off and let them rest.

You can also peak at some of my posting history, i think i've put some pics of my previous beef ribs

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Thanks for the info all. Much appreciated.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

canyoneer posted:

Home Depot has Traeger Renegades for $487 today
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Traeger-Renegade-Pro-Wood-Pellet-Grill-and-Smoker-in-Black-TFB38TOD/306806612

I'm having a hard time resisting buying it, but I wonder if I'm going to outgrow the size or features of it soon

My local Costco still has a few of these for $499 https://www.costco.com/Louisiana-Grills-LG900-Pellet-Grill-with-Flame-Broiler.product.100458788.html

I haven't used a Traegar brand, so I can't compare directly, but a couple issues with mine -
1. Grease buildup on the inside of the lid.
2. Fold out metal tray gets too hot to use if you're above smoking temperatures
3. Some paint flaking on the body on the inside.
4. Uses buttloads of pellets because its so large, I rarely use more than half of the surface
5. My power went out two weeks ago an hour into some ribs, ruined my day.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I've just done a trim, salt and heavy pepper rub and let rest overnight in the fridge, then smoke. My biggest suggestion is just being patient, and not going too hot. 230-250 is fine, and let the ribs hit 205 and actually rest before digging in.

They will start smelling incredibly loving good before that, but RESIST THE URGE. the wait is worth it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

wandler20 posted:

Marinate them in red wine and cook to tenderness not temperature.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dammit, my parents gave me a Home Depot gift card for my birthday to put toward a smoker. My buddy has the Traeger Pro 575 and swears it's the bees fuckin knees, so naturally this is the one I'm looking at. Absolutely love the idea of the wifi stuff. Are these pretty solid? I have a bunch of kids, so sometimes my propane grill area (23"x15", one rack) can get a bit small, but it looks like the 575 has more grilling area (22"x19" or something), especially since it has the second rack, so I doubt I'd have the need for the 780.

I remember seeing them go $100 off or something on Father's Day. Do they typically go on sale during holidays? Looks like Home Depot has 2 free bags of pellets right now, which is kinda meh.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 29, 2019

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Any go-to recipe for pork belly? I have a traeger. Think I want burnt ends.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I love my Traeger but it’s a poo poo grill.

Capacity wise I got an entire packer brisket on the little one. Lemme edit this with pics.

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 29, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Why is it a poo poo grill? Any alternatives in the similar price range I should consider?

I like your choice in beers. Julius is the bomb diggity.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Why is it a poo poo grill? Any alternatives in the similar price range I should consider?

I like your choice in beers. Julius is the bomb diggity.

I would guess because it’s a smoker and does terrible at grilling. I like my Pit Boss. It can grill as well as smoke.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It just doesn’t get hot enough to sear. It’s a great smoker.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ah gotcha. I guess I was incorrectly using grill and smoker synonymously in my head.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I've got a weber kettle and I've managed to get the metal cover for the bottom vents all bent. I still get ok results but it's basically impossible to get a real seal now cause each of the three metal flaps is sitting a quarter inch above the body instead of flush with it (probably from turning them while there was accumulated gunk/charcoal in the way).

Anyone else have this problem before and is there any good way to bend them back in to place without taking apart the grill? I tried pushing them down to where they should be but they immediately just bounce back to their bent state.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Yes! In fact a lot of people dislike the stock door for for a variety of reasons, which is why this replacement is recommended. I got it a few years ago and have been very happy.

https://www.cajunbandit.com/product/cajun-bandit-premium-stainless-steel-smoker-door-round-hole-fits-14-5-mini-weber-smokey-mountain/

Edit: Apparently I am illiterate! You could try using some heat resistant tape on the one that's messed up? Maybe even pull that vent completely off, tape it,. and run it on two. Or only one and get one of those BBQ gurus lol.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Aug 30, 2019

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
If anyone uses Royal Oak charcoal, seems to be a good sale over at Lowes, $4/15lb

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Royal-Oak-15-4-lb-Charcoal-Briquettes/1000175405

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
What are the good beef cuts for sous vide then smoking? Technique tips welcome, too.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Lawnie posted:

What are the good beef cuts for sous vide then smoking? Technique tips welcome, too.

Can try a whole packer brisket. This one is my next recipe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMMT5xapmQo

Unfortunately I don't own a flame thrower lol. Will probably sear on a grill.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

arisu posted:

Unfortunately I don't own a flame thrower

yet

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Had a bbq last weekend and decided to make the Dino ribs my farmer gave to me. They were about the size of a half sheet pan and weighed about 12 lbs.

Here they are trimmed and ready for seasoning

All seasoned up and hanging over the edge of the pan

Sitting in the pit boss, ready to smoke.

9 hours later, smoked and ready to rest

Slice up, each one about 15 inches long

A close up of the meat. Succulent and juicy.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
That looks delicious. drat.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Delicious meats

I'm not a fan of that trim, but goddamn, what you did with it looks loving amazing

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Those are some tasty looking ribs. How many did that end up feeding? Three plate ribs ended up going a long way at a small pot luck I went to a while back.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Doing some smoked wings today got the first time. Will see how it goes.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm not a fan of that trim, but goddamn, what you did with it looks loving amazing

Yeah I get them untrimmed from my farmer and this one had a dry cap on it on one side. But there was good meat on the other I didn’t want to give up.

Spiggy posted:

Those are some tasty looking ribs. How many did that end up feeding? Three plate ribs ended up going a long way at a small pot luck I went to a while back.

Fed 14 total. They were about 15 inches long each.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

wandler20 posted:

Just came here to ask this, I've never smoked beef ribs either. I usually sear em on the gas grill and then braise them.

I'm planning on following this though I'm not planning on cutting them into two rib sections.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/smoked-texas-style-bbq-beef-ribs-recipe

https://myflameboss.com/cooks/538903

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Dammit, my parents gave me a Home Depot gift card for my birthday to put toward a smoker. My buddy has the Traeger Pro 575 and swears it's the bees fuckin knees, so naturally this is the one I'm looking at. Absolutely love the idea of the wifi stuff. Are these pretty solid? I have a bunch of kids, so sometimes my propane grill area (23"x15", one rack) can get a bit small, but it looks like the 575 has more grilling area (22"x19" or something), especially since it has the second rack, so I doubt I'd have the need for the 780.

I remember seeing them go $100 off or something on Father's Day. Do they typically go on sale during holidays? Looks like Home Depot has 2 free bags of pellets right now, which is kinda meh.

Nearly anything can have the wifi stuff, the kits they sell have adapters that attach the fan to nearly anything. I've been using a Flameboss kit on my Big Green Egg for years and it works great.

That said, my boss is a Traeger man and he's an idiot but the time he brought his little portable Traeger to a work function and I cooked some tri tips on it I was fairly impressed. As has been said, it doesn't really get hot enough to grill but I was impressed with the amount of smoke flavor it imbued plus it does get hot enough to bake, which can be useful.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Nearly anything can have the wifi stuff, the kits they sell have adapters that attach the fan to nearly anything. I've been using a Flameboss kit on my Big Green Egg for years and it works great.

That said, my boss is a Traeger man and he's an idiot but the time he brought his little portable Traeger to a work function and I cooked some tri tips on it I was fairly impressed. As has been said, it doesn't really get hot enough to grill but I was impressed with the amount of smoke flavor it imbued plus it does get hot enough to bake, which can be useful.

Thanks! I don’t really care about it not grilling well. I’ve got a Weber for that.

Looks like Ace is giving a free cover, a bag of pellets, and some rub. Home Depot is only giving 2 bags of pellets.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

bird with big dick posted:

Just came here to ask this, I've never smoked beef ribs either. I usually sear em on the gas grill and then braise them.

I'm planning on following this though I'm not planning on cutting them into two rib sections.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/smoked-texas-style-bbq-beef-ribs-recipe

https://myflameboss.com/cooks/538903

I don’t do anything special to mine. Leave the membrane on the bottom so they hold together. Salt and pepper an hour before smoking, leave them on the counter. Smoke at 250 until jiggly and a probe thermometer slide in and out super easy and they are above 205. Rest for 30 minutes and slice.

My Dinos took about 9 hours but my normal sized plate or short ribs usually take around 5-6.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah I get them untrimmed from my farmer and this one had a dry cap on it on one side. But there was good meat on the other I didn’t want to give up.

Fed 14 total. They were about 15 inches long each.

When you refer to the trim and a dry cap, what does that mean?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Annath posted:

When you refer to the trim and a dry cap, what does that mean?

When you normally buy short ribs the are in smaller sections. I got basically half the short rib sub primal from the 4th to the 8th rib and they cut them a bit longer than usual, closer to the ribeye. Towards the bottom of the short ribs there is a thin layer of meat, fat and silver skin they call a cap, but there was a good section of meat further up. So when I trimmed off the cap I left the layer of meat further up. That’s why the first photo shows that band of fat going down the center of the ribs. I basically tapered it so that I could remove the thin and dried out cap and leave the good layer further up. I wanted a lot of meat surface to get in contact with the smoke but didn’t want to lose that good meat layer up top.

It wasn’t the most elegant solution but I was trying to maximize meat while removing the parts that weren’t any good. And since I was smoking them for so long I wasn’t worried about it looking very pretty when it was uncooked knowing that they were going to get torn apart to serve. I have another one in my freezer when it comes out I will take some untrimmed pictures.

When we ate them they basically self sectioned into 3 pieces. The meaty part at the bottom (under where the cap was), the layer of meat above the fat at the top and then the layer of meat under the fat and between the ribs. So 15 portions from the 5 ribs.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 1, 2019

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I don’t do anything special to mine. Leave the membrane on the bottom so they hold together. Salt and pepper an hour before smoking, leave them on the counter. Smoke at 250 until jiggly and a probe thermometer slide in and out super easy and they are above 205. Rest for 30 minutes and slice.

My Dinos took about 9 hours but my normal sized plate or short ribs usually take around 5-6.

I used the rub from Amazingribs and wish I hadn't. I think just salt and pepper would have been better. Too much crunchy bark for me.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Yea beef really only needs salt and pepper, and really not even all that much. The pepper becomes way more spicy than you think after being smoked.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

CRISPYBABY posted:

I've got a weber kettle and I've managed to get the metal cover for the bottom vents all bent. I still get ok results but it's basically impossible to get a real seal now cause each of the three metal flaps is sitting a quarter inch above the body instead of flush with it (probably from turning them while there was accumulated gunk/charcoal in the way).

Anyone else have this problem before and is there any good way to bend them back in to place without taking apart the grill? I tried pushing them down to where they should be but they immediately just bounce back to their bent state.

There's nothing that can be done. You'll have to disassemble the grill and replace that assembly. Once those sweepers are bent, they're bent. A new one is like $20. I've had to do this a few times.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Oof. Welp. Guess the damage ain't too bad.

By and large it still works just fine so I'm not really in a hurry to tinker with it -- I think I still get pretty solid temperature control, I just figure it's leaky for smoke.

Last time I did short ribs I used the rub from here. It's gives it a little extra contrasting flavours without being overpowering. Also as an experiment added just a touch of bourbon bbq sauce, and was super happy with how that turned out.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/triple-c-beef-ribs-recipe
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/barbecue-sauce-recipes/tennessee-hollerin-whiskey-bbq-sauce-recipe

I've since tried to cook it again and was in a hurry/got a worse cut and it wasn't as good :(. I find that BBQ is like fishing where there's some days where you just get the magic intersection of a perfect cut of meat and an unhurried cooking time and it becomes a white whale of a standard that I'll forever be trying to recapture.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beef ribs on a friend's Traeger. Salt and pepper rub, and membrane left intact. 275F with hickory pellets until 203F internal temp. Wrapped in pink butcher's paper and a beach towel and into a cooler for an hour before serving. I did not spritz it at all during cooking and between that and a pretty dull knife, the bark tore a bit more than I'd like.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

Beef ribs on a friend's Traeger. Salt and pepper rub, and membrane left intact. 275F with hickory pellets until 203F internal temp. Wrapped in pink butcher's paper and a beach towel and into a cooler for an hour before serving. I did not spritz it at all during cooking and between that and a pretty dull knife, the bark tore a bit more than I'd like.

Those look delicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

Welp, they're ruined. Just box them up with some dry ice and overnight them to me. I'll make sure they get disposed of properly.