Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

agreed, itd be much better off in d&d

Nothing belongs in D&D and you are doing a trash job of explaining yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Helsing posted:

It feels like a lot of people here want to have their cake and eat it too. If you're going to argue that Narrativism is a predictive theory that can be applied to explain current social phenomena better than other theories then you need a better response to well criticism than "stop trying to gatekeep me."

If this was a thread about one person relating their personal experiences and anecdotal observations about how group behaviour and mental health interact then I think that would be a different kettle of fish. But instead we're getting a bunch of ideas that are expressly designed to look like a rigorous academic theory of group psychology. Let's not fool ourselves: you put your ideas in this particular format because you want to borrow some of the prestige that rigorous academic models inherently have. When you assign special terminology and develop a system of thought and claim it all relates together in a specific way you're relying on the fact that your readers have been taught to view these as signs of rigor and predictive power.

If you present a big theory of everything that is set up to more or less mimic an academic theory of group psychology then guess what? You're going to get people critiquing your ideas ion the same terms that you presented them. Complaining about this as "gate keeping" is ridiculous.

if the disagreements were, in fact, on the same terms as presented, that would be such a vast improvement over the status quo that nobody would be complaining at all.

and yet in the same post where you posit that all of these highly reasonable disagreements have been presented respectfully, you slip in a casual implication that the whole thread is somehow inherently dishonest.

do you not understand the inherent contradiction in how you approach this thread? if the discussion was actually reasonable instead of constantly edging uncomfortably close to personal attack, there would not be a problem in the first place. even in the midst of bad modding sheng-ji managed to have a more reasonably objective discussion about his skepticism toward the thread topic than most of the thread's regular critics have ever done

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
The whole reason this thread is a shitshow to mod is precisely because you did not act earlier to kick out the trolls that were dutifully pointed out to you by multiple users months ago, and instead let them keep making a mess of the place every few days ever since. It is not inherent to the thread, it's inherent to the moderation coming down on the wrong side every time here.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Y'know, I never notice the grenade before now. What good is a feeble human body against that?

Dumb Lowtax posted:

:wrong: fishmech belongs in D&D

Can we petition to have cashcrab do our modding, a foster-mod as it were

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

T-man posted:

Can we petition to have cashcrab do our modding, a foster-mod as it were

That's a can of worms. I think it's more the case that Sheng-Ji is having a really off day. The best thing would be for them to just realize a mistake happened and figure out a different approach.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Dumb Lowtax posted:

fishmech sucks i get that but i genuinely think this thread is a better fit for d&d. they have much more Serious rules & moderation and this thread is supposed to be more longform discussion i assume. this is the dumb politics jokes forum. one of the first cspam rules was "dont whine about a sixer" and this thread has like 10 people complaining about one persons sixer lol. it doesnt fit the rest of this sub at all.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Dumb Lowtax posted:

The whole reason this thread is a shitshow to mod is precisely because you did not act earlier to kick out the trolls that were dutifully pointed out to you by multiple users months ago, and instead let them keep making a mess of the place every few days ever since.

:trumppop:

it

Dumb Lowtax posted:

belongs in D&D
folks

smdh at u authoritarians just bowing to whatever authority presents itself, trying to bring in foreign imperialist mods

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

fishmech sucks i get that but i genuinely think this thread is a better fit for d&d. they have much more Serious rules & moderation and this thread is supposed to be more longform discussion i assume. this is the dumb politics jokes forum. one of the first cspam rules was "dont whine about a sixer" and this thread has like 10 people complaining about one persons sixer lol. it doesnt fit the rest of this sub at all.

The only people doing longform discussion are the trolls we reported

Are you making GBS threads me

And do you seriously think CSPAM and D&D have the same purpose except that D&D is for longposts? Is the cultural difference invisible to you?

D&D is for centrists who do not understand how to engage with trolls, because they continually try to envision them as an academic exercise. The trolls in here fit that, the other posters do not.

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 19:27 on Aug 31, 2019

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Dumb Lowtax posted:

D&D is for centrists who do not understand how to engage with trolls, because they continually try to envision them as an academic exercise.

do you seriously think this thread isnt that?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

do you seriously think this thread isnt that?

The very next sentence spelled it out for you:

Dumb Lowtax posted:

The trolls in here fit that, the other posters do not.

The trolls are the ones doing the serious longposts. No one else is.

You didn't punish them back when they were reported by everyone so they remained here.

We're complaining about the sixers because they were not made as a joke, and are incredibly tone deaf.

Would you care to explain yourself on any of the lovely acts pointed out since a page ago or are you just going to keep talking over everyone and ignoring the concerns raised

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 19:29 on Aug 31, 2019

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Getting asked questions that you can't answer? "Nah it's just a joke forum brah" and ignore them. Works errytime.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

do you seriously not think this thread is that?

of course it's not. in case you've forgotten most of us who are speaking up rn are cspam regulars, not folks who came with the thread and otherwise post mostly in d&d.

the centrists literally can't deal with this poo poo, to the point that all reasonable discussion became impossible in d&d. they fall all over themselves to "well, actually" about how social dynamics that promote right-wing radicalism aren't a big deal and besides they're just rural scum so who cares how they think, also you're all insane for thinking mental health could have anything to do with politics or material conditions, etc. etc. the usual centrist crap

no one is demanding seriousness in this thread, just good-faith posting. or good-faith shitposting. the good faith bit is the important part

Jazerus has issued a correction as of 19:35 on Aug 31, 2019

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Dumb Lowtax posted:

OP for protecting their thread

Dumb Lowtax posted:

do not understand how to engage with trolls

:thunk: its not the OP's thread lmao

the venezuela thread in C-SPAM literally revile eachother and crosspost shittin eachother up all the time (mods you cannot stop us) and seem to chug along, u :justpost: and don't respond to poo poo you don't want to :ok:

T-man posted:

Getting asked questions that you can't answer? "Nah it's just a joke forum brah" and ignore them. Works errytime.

exactly, its every cspammers god given right 2 poo poo on the OP and sjy too, that pos fuckin moron idiot dumbass

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Literally every CSPAM regular who posts here indeed posts like they're in CSPAM. And we're also the ones who dutifully reported lovely people who were incidentally not posting like they were in CSPAM.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Dumb Lowtax posted:

The very next sentence spelled it out for you:

We're complaining about the sixers because they were not made as a joke, and are incredibly tone deaf.

Would you care to explain yourself on any of the lovely acts pointed out since a page ago or are you just going to keep talking over everyone and ignoring the concerns raised

ive already explained repeatedly. this thread consistently accuses anyone who disagrees of "harassing" pj, refusing to actually address their arguments with them. if you want to present some all encompassing theory you cant immediately dismiss anyone who disagrees and accusing them of bullshit. i was first dragged in here because prester jane randomly accused homex of harassment for making a perfect valid point, then accused helsing of mansplaining for actually discussing her theories and told him to leave, etc etc. its dumb and trying to use reports to maintain some weird thread consensus to not disagree with the op

in cspam its perfectly acceptable to be assholes to each other and troll each other with dumb poo poo. otoh trying to act like the boss of a thread just cus you made it doesnt work. asking for your own special IK lol

which is why i think it fits much better in d&d, with much stricter moderation based on more clear cut rules. clearly i shouldnt moderate this thread.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i'm just posting, i refuse to go back even a single page for context of what this is about. tabula rasa baby

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Nobody is arguing that! Nowhere above did we say that we want to challenge an academic field. That's all you. That's projection of what I can only assume is your D&D style urge to search for the perfectly optimal lesson that academics can use to heal the unwashed, and assuming that we want that too instead of something much more practical. The people ITT advocate for awareness of a few helpful concepts, not overhauling academia for gently caress's sake. If you're arguing based on how Prester stated that she wanted her theories to have academic rigor someday, and if you're saying that she went too far with it, then congratulations, you are arguing with a schizophrenic on the internet while everyone else patiently waits for you to stop.

My argument is simply that if PJ isn't trying to develop a rigorous academic theory then she should stop using the format of a rigorous academic theory to present and explain her ideas. That's not because I think it is somehow disrespectful to academics or something dumb like that - academia has a lot of problems and is hardly the only legitimate form of knowledge, in fact sometimes it's completely ill suited for the task at hand - the reason I am bringing this up is because I think that reveals an underlying contradiction in how this thread is approaching its topic.

The way you format your ideas has a lot of influence over how you end up using those ideas in real life. If you have what amounts to a collection of interesting anecdotes but you insist on arranging them into a predictive theory then this is not good. That's not because anecdotal observations are bad - they are some powerful sometimes and worth considering. But they should not be misrepresented as something different than what they are.

Jazerus posted:

if the disagreements were, in fact, on the same terms as presented, that would be such a vast improvement over the status quo that nobody would be complaining at all.

and yet in the same post where you posit that all of these highly reasonable disagreements have been presented respectfully, you slip in a casual implication that the whole thread is somehow inherently dishonest.

do you not understand the inherent contradiction in how you approach this thread? if the discussion was actually reasonable instead of constantly edging uncomfortably close to personal attack, there would not be a problem in the first place. even in the midst of bad modding sheng-ji managed to have a more reasonably objective discussion about his skepticism toward the thread topic than most of the thread's regular critics have ever done

My intention is not to accuse people of dishonesty. I'm just trying to point out that the way knowledge is organized matters just as much as the knowledge itself, and failure to acknowledge that has a cost.

I've tried to be clear that I think there's plenty of merits to PJ's ideas and lots of stuff worth talking about. My concern is the approach taken here is actually inhibiting a good discussion instead of encouraging one.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Actually gamergate was just a bunch of trolls doing the memes online what do you mean "consistent harassment against women" lol it's just a meme 420 69 and obviously the left should debate Ben shapino because he's attacking their ~big scary ideas~ that trans people exist

PS. Why do you have such contempt for a self-identitied mentally ill trans woman? :thunk:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

ive already explained repeatedly. this thread consistently accuses anyone who disagrees of "harassing" pj, refusing to actually address their arguments with them.

Incredible. You moderate forums and yet are blind to obvious acts of griefing, complete with drunkposting in Willie's case. I cannot stress enough that this thread is peaceful and helpful when the usual suspects are not here, and would have stayed that way if you had acted on all of our complaints.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Incredible. You moderate forums and yet are blind to obvious acts of griefing, complete with drunkposting in Willie's case. I cannot stress enough that this thread is peaceful and helpful when the usual suspects are not here, and would have stayed that way if you had acted on all of our complaints.

drunkposting in cspam??

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

drunkposting in cspam??

Aggressive drunk posting kind of punches a hole in your theory that they're just here to provide careful rigorous analysis that everyone else is then obligated to entertain, don't ya think

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Aggressive drunk posting kind of punches a hole in your theory that they're just here to provide careful rigorous analysis doesn't it

yeah aggressive drunk posting would be probated in d&d, where this thread should be.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Absolutely nothing belongs in D&D because D&D shouldn't exist. Every true CSPAM leftist understands that, and can also sniff out a troll in society or online like the ones in this thread.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

T-man posted:

Actually gamergate was just a bunch of trolls doing the memes online what do you mean "consistent harassment against women" lol it's just a meme 420 69 and obviously the left should debate Ben shapino because he's attacking their ~big scary ideas~ that trans people exist

PS. Why do you have such contempt for a self-identitied mentally ill trans woman? :thunk:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dumb Lowtax posted:

these are some D&D as hell post, is all im sayin

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

clearly i shouldnt moderate this thread.

You punished me because Jazerus reported someone for continuing to pursue a weird harassment campaign. I asked the guy with a weird crusade against me to post somewhere else, you punished me whilst publicly declaring that the harasser was in the right. (And yes, spending months doing nothing but making angry effortposts calling me a cult leader at every oppurtunity is harassment, not engaging in good faith.)

You have made it clear that harassing/abusing me has moderator sanction in C-SPAM because you dont like my thread. That was the reason you posted the report of me being harassed and then probed me for a weeks-old post.

Message received, I will rehost the thread in another forum.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Homeless Friend posted:

these are some D&D as hell post, is all im sayin

No one asked you, poo poo for brains

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Dumb Lowtax posted:

No one asked you, poo poo for brains

i get that a hell of a lot tbqh

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

which is why i think it fits much better in d&d, with much stricter moderation based on more clear cut rules. clearly i shouldnt moderate this thread.

d&d didn't enforce rules in this thread.

cspam isn't like, the rear end in a top hat zone. that's the weird public perception that somehow developed but it's simply not the case. we're free to be jerks to each other but motivation matters. people are punished here for many reasons including when they get oddly personal and post as if they have a huge ax to grind with an individual. even malicious jokes like telling whiskeyjuvenile to pay his maid are really only acceptable because the target has proven himself so contemptible.

if you took the time to understand the context here, i think that you would stop seeing this as a disconnected series of oversensitive reports. you insist on viewing it as us using the report system to stifle disagreement, when the entire point of the reports was the tone and bizarre obsessiveness of the disagreement, not its existence

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Prester Jane posted:

You punished me because Jazerus reported someone for continuing to pursue a weird harassment campaign. I asked the guy with a weird crusade against me to post somewhere else, you punished me whilst publicly declaring that the harasser was in the right. (And yes, spending months doing nothing but making angry effortposts calling me a cult leader at every oppurtunity is harassment, not engaging in good faith.)

You have made it clear that harassing/abusing me has moderator sanction in C-SPAM because you dont like my thread. That was the reason you posted the report of me being harassed and then probed me for a weeks-old post.

Message received, I will rehost the thread in another forum.

it was a sixer for doing that same thing over and over and over again instead of actually addressing any criticism or disagreement.

i can move this thread to d&d if you want, or just gas it.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Helsing posted:

My argument is simply that if PJ isn't trying to develop a rigorous academic theory then she should stop using the format of a rigorous academic theory to present and explain her ideas. That's not because I think it is somehow disrespectful to academics or something dumb like that - academia has a lot of problems and is hardly the only legitimate form of knowledge, in fact sometimes it's completely ill suited for the task at hand - the reason I am bringing this up is because I think that reveals an underlying contradiction in how this thread is approaching its topic.

This imo is just a lovely justification for you appointed yourself as my GateKeeper. I go out of my way to point out that I'm not an academic, and does taking evolve organically over a period f like 3 years. The initial posts in the gay marriage thread that started this whole discussion only covered compaction Cycles, the inner and outer narrative, and an extremely rough outline of the grand narrative. That was it, it took years for me to fill in the rest of the ideas.

A couple weeks back you had some weird meltdown because I was "taking the responsibilities of my level of influence seriously enough" and vowed to be my enemy every time you felt I wasnt holding my work up to your standards.

quote:

The way you format your ideas has a lot of influence over how you end up using those ideas in real life. If you have what amounts to a collection of interesting anecdotes but you insist on arranging them into a predictive theory then this is not good. That's not because anecdotal observations are bad - they are some powerful sometimes and worth considering. But they should not be misrepresented as something different than what they are.

I present my ideas how I present my ideas- in a manner that evolved organically over the course of millions of words of debate. Ehat on Earth distinguishes presenting ideas in an academic way vs a non-academic way? You're literally pissed about the structure and format of the presentation of my ideas- and not engaging at all with their substance. Fucksake I'm posting on a dying web 1.0 nessage board- not presenting my thesis to the PHD review board.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Nobody wants either of those things except for you and the actual trolls that shitted up this thread in the first place

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

it was a sixer for doing that same thing over and over and over again instead of actually addressing any criticism or disagreement.

How can I engage in good faith with someone whose singular objective is to harass and abuse me? You are punishing me because I asked an abuser to post somewhere else+refused to engage with his abusive posts.

What the actual gently caress

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

look. imo this thread should stay here. there is no better place on SA for this and sheng-ji does not speak for the entire forum. this is a chance to move forward constructively with everyone having a greater understanding of what's going on, if we can talk about it reasonably.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

no need for this long a post here let me shorten it for you

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

it was a sixer

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Prester Jane posted:

How can I engage in good faith with someone whose singular objective is to harass and abuse me? You are punishing me because I asked an abuser to leave and refused to engage with his abusive posts.

What the gently caress

you accused homex of harassing you & told him to leave for disagreeing with you, when i first got drawn into this thread, then did the same thing to helsing, a few other times i dont remember, and then this popped up. disagreement is not abuse. a six hour probation is not a real punishment.

if you dont want the thread moved or gassed whatever ill leave it be and ignore it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

you accused homex of harassing you & told him to leave for disagreeing with you, when i first got drawn into this thread, then did the same thing to helsing, a few other times i dont remember, and then this popped up. disagreement is not abuse. a six hour probation is not a real punishment.

if you dont want the thread moved or gassed whatever ill leave it be and ignore it.

Jazerus posted:

if you took the time to understand the context here, i think that you would stop seeing this as a disconnected series of oversensitive reports. you insist on viewing it as us using the report system to stifle disagreement, when the entire point of the reports was the tone and bizarre obsessiveness of the disagreement, not its existence

if these folks were simply disagreeing there would not be a problem.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Jazerus posted:

if these folks were simply disagreeing there would not be a problem.

What exactly is your objection to how I'm engaging with this thread?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

a six hour probation is not a real punishment.

lmao you blocked her from participating in an ongoing discussion about her own posting while it went on for six hours, but it's ok it's not a punishment because joke probes exist, even though this absolutely was not one at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Helsing posted:

What exactly is your objection to how I'm engaging with this thread?

Obsessiveness about posting the same thing each week while missing the point of what we're all discussing completely

You don't have to have intent to be a bad actor, without whom the thread would be a much better and much more peaceful list of current events that match a theme