Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The Bahamas are used to hurricanes I'm sure but I can't really think of a worse one than this. Dorian is going to sit near Grand Bahama for like two entire days probably making GBS threads out cat 4 conditions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

D.Ork Bimboolean posted:

Its absolutely going to hit FL. All of the steering winds are pushing it west.

poo poo, its turning and coming for me now

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Hot potato

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
goodbye florida

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
pfft this state will just grow back like crabgrass

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Florida will be fine bc its demographics are not like PR or New Orleans right

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Rated PG-34 posted:

Florida will be fine bc its demographics are not like PR or New Orleans right

A bunch of old rich white people have property in Florida so it'll be fine

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

At the very least I hope we get some funny weather footage of people refusing to evacuate as the storm is destroying stuff in the background

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's a really cool composite display of the entire Bahamas radar system http://smartmet.bahamasweather.org.bs/radarcomposite/?fbclid=IwAR0oqVcwDrpQ4P6x7ssAAm2fVknqiFOAFKtc9RojEwuw-zwRmvDiuX4U6QU

Dorian just coming into range.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

A bunch of old rich white people have property in Florida so it'll be fine

east florida is mostly aerospace contractors and agribusiness they'll definitely get bailed out but there are still a lot of black people who will get hosed

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Agean90 posted:

Does anyone have that fake nws report that ends with IVAN IS COMEING IVAN IS COMEING or whatever hurricane it was for

quote:

HURRICANE IKE FINAL ADVISORY NUMBER 666
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
0200 AM SUN SEP 14 2008

A MASSIVE HURRICANE, NEY, A TITANIC BLACK MASS OF DESTRUCTION, BORN OF THE COLD, EVIL WOMB OF MOTHER NATURE, WILL RENDER MUCH OF COASTAL AND INLAND TEXAS A BARREN WASTELAND. IKE IS COMING.

SUCH IS THE POWER OF THIS STORM, IF INDEED, ANYTHING DISPENSING THIS AMOUNT OF HUMAN SUFFERING CAN BE CALLED A STORM.

THE STORM SURGE, ONCE PREDICTED AT 17 FEET, WILL NOW REACH UNHEARD OF HEIGHTS. IF WILL BE AS IF THE OCEAN ITSELF HAS VACATED ITS VAST PRISON, SHAKING LOOSE ITS CHAINS, AND LAYING ITSELF PRONE ATOP THE CITIES OF MAN. THE LAST VESTIGES OF ITS BONDAGE SINKING ALL THAT LIES IN ITS PATH.

ALL STRUCTURES WITHIN A 100 MILE RADIUS WILL SUFFER DEVASTATING EFFECTS. WOOD WILL SPLINTER, CONCRETE WILL BECOME DUST. THE FOUNDATIONS WILL BE THE STARK REMNANTS OF HUMAN EXISTENCE IN THESE AREAS. TREES WILL BECOME UPROOTED AND CARRIED MILES BY WINDS THAT WILL BLAST THE VERY SKIN FROM ANYONE FOOLISH ENOUGH TO REMAIN OUTSIDE. BUT THEY WILL BE THE LUCKY ONES...THE FIRST TO DIE. FOR A MUCH GREATER MISERY AWAITS THOSE THAT SURVIVE.

AMIDST THIS MIRE OF CARNAGE, THE FEW SURVIVORS WILL WALLOW IN A SOUP OF DEATH AND DESPAIR, AS THEY FACE GRIM ODDS. FEW STRUCTURES WILL EXIST, AND FOOD AND WATER WILL BE MORE PRECIOUS THAN GOLD. AS CORPSES OF HUMANS AND ANIMALS ROT, DYSENTERY AND MALARIA WILL BEGIN THEIR MACABRE DANCE AMONG THOSE REMAINING AND MANY WILL BE FORCED TO CONSUME ONE ANOTHER TO LIVE ONE FINAL DAY.

ENTIRE GENERATIONS WILL PERISH, AND THE HURRICANE WILL CREEP INTO LEGEND. IT WILL BE A SIN TO EVEN CALL ITS NAME ALOUD, THE VERY EXISTENCE OF THIS EVENT BEING SPOKEN OF IN HUSHED TONES, AND REVERED BY THOSE WHO SEE IT AS JUDGMENT. IKE IS HERE. IKE IS HERE. IKE IS HERE. IKE IS HERE. IKE IS H

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Death soon???

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The 5am forecast discussion had some interesting bits.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT5+shtml/310848.shtml

5AM advisory posted:

The global models the NHC normally uses, along with the regional HWRF and HMON models, have made another shift to the east to the point where none of them forecast Dorian to make landfall in Florida. However, the UKMET ensemble mean still brings the hurricane over the Florida peninsula, as do several GFS and ECMWF ensemble members. The new track forecast for 72-120 h will be moved eastward to stay east of the coast of Florida, and it lies between the old forecast and the various consensus models. Additional adjustments to the forecast track may be necessary later today if current model trends continue. It should be noted that the new forecast track does not preclude Dorian making landfall on the Florida coast, as large portions of the coast remain in the track cone of uncertainty. Also, significant impacts could occur even if the center stays offshore.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
lmaoing if the entire eastern seaboard evacs for this, lmaoing if it doesnt

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Yeah it's pretty crazy how uncertain things are this late in the game.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Everyone at work at central florida was talking about the gas lines and how many stations were out due to the crazies filling up 20 gas tanks at the stations.

So I guess this is the Florida version of gotta get the bread and milk?

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
from florida only distance, not bread nor milk, is salvation

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

Everyone at work at central florida was talking about the gas lines and how many stations were out due to the crazies filling up 20 gas tanks at the stations.

Irma was only two years ago and there were tons of stations with no gas then. So now you've got people who are genuinely worried about availability on top of people who fancy themselves potential warlords

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

etalian posted:

No there's also no bread and milk at the stores. Also the canned tuna aisle and parmalait milk were pretty much out yesterday too.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
i dont remember there being a breadtown in mad max fwiw

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
so we're not going to be scouring florida off the map? darn it

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

redleader posted:

so we're not going to be scouring florida off the map? darn it

It can still happen but further north Florida. Mar a lago will likely not be wiped off the map though.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

net work error posted:

It can still happen but further north Florida. Mar a lago will likely not be wiped off the map though.

Unless...
https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/1167769928155508736

dream9!bed!!
Jan 9, 2019

by VideoGames
Rooting for the UKMET rn, spare the Carolinas and ruin Florida plz

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Weekend ruined

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

11AM advisory is out and it shifted the cone a little more north with 8MPH and up to 150MPH sustained winds. 7MPH away from a cat 5 though yikes.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
smelling nothingburger here

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Woodchip posted:

It'll be the complete opposite for the Bahamas unfortunately and possibly still a cat 3 hitting parts of Georgia and the Carolinas.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Woodchip posted:

just like last time then

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

net work error posted:

This is BULLSHIT!

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

net work error posted:

Don't worry he'll still try to claim damages probably.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
will the mandatory evacuation be lifted soon?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

so wait does this mean the flooding wont gently caress up florida

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Thanks for praying for me stair it really worked

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Stairmaster posted:

so wait does this mean the flooding wont gently caress up florida

Dorian's still pretty wide

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
loving Miami gets off again

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Hoping this thing just turns back off to the water and dissipates.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

a new study bible! posted:

Hoping this thing just turns back off to the water and dissipates.

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Accretionist posted:

Dorian's still pretty wide

Looks like a pretty good result. gently caress nerve-wracking if you're living there right in the path of it like "Well, they say it'll turn north ..."