Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mystic Stylez posted:

I understand she's dealing with a lot right now so let me nitpick the wording of a post from someone who is going through hell right as she writes it
I mean dude I'm not being 'nitpicky,' the difference between explicitly believing the accusations (which the nitw devs have) and implicitly believing them is pretty massive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am infinitely more worried for Zoe than I am for Alec's relatives and coworkers, cause goddamn the gators are gonna flip their tinfoil hats.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Zoe is also wisely taking a time out

https://twitter.com/UnburntWitch

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i really can't imagine the hell it must be to be a lightning rod for the worst of humanity

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I am infinitely more worried for Zoe than I am for Alec's relatives and coworkers, cause goddamn the gators are gonna flip their tinfoil hats.

Honestly same. I hope she has a good support system right now and that she and the other women who have come forward stay safe because I don't trust any of those lunatics.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
She's got a higher kill count than they do right now, they should be afraid of her.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

repiv posted:

Zoe is also wisely taking a time out

https://twitter.com/UnburntWitch
id honestly just not get back on twitter if i were her. like i cant tell her how to live her life but it just cant be worth it whatsoever.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am crossposting this from the gen chat thread because it works here too:

This whole thing is going to be huge in the gaming community and I know people are itching to discuss it, but can I please iterate that we do not drop to the level of twitter comments and that if it gets brought up we try to be as level headed as possible - no matter if it is this thread or any other in Games it appears.

I can only imagine the sort of vile thoughts permeating a bunch of other sites. We are much better than that and I trust us to be able to post accordingly.

I will be monitoring this thread so we do not have another poster acting like 'Bad Day'.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm honestly really afraid of someone either attempting to murder Zoe or her being pushed into suicide.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Pollyanna posted:

I'm honestly pretty worried about her safety in this, the era of insane chud rampages every week

edit: literally as I post this one happens

Valleyant fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 31, 2019

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

LostRook posted:

She's got a higher kill count than they do right now, they should be afraid of her.

Hey could you not do this

OurIntrepidHero
Nov 5, 2011

He's just too fast!

LostRook posted:

"Hmm, can I be just as lovely as the chuds are going to be? Yes. Yes, I can."

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I was actually mid-conversation with a friend of mine about how I felt about Holowka's music knowing what I know now, as said friend was scrolling through his news feed and word of Alec's Death had just gotten announced. The timing couldn't have been more coincidental, and of course immediately led to a conversation about how do we feel now that it would appear that this man has chosen to take his own life.

My conclusion is mostly the same. I don't like the music anymore. It can never mean what it did for me before ever again. The game and story still means a lot to me by virtue of his not being one of the main writers. And while I feel for his family, I am likewise, a thousand times more concerned for the person who will no doubt be blamed for all of this while her abuser is martyred.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Suicide...[is] a selfish cowardly act

hi there! i lost my best friend to suicide! go gently caress yourself you worthless presumptive piece of poo poo!

VideoGames posted:

I am crossposting this from the gen chat thread because it works here too:

This whole thing is going to be huge in the gaming community and I know people are itching to discuss it, but can I please iterate that we do not drop to the level of twitter comments and that if it gets brought up we try to be as level headed as possible - no matter if it is this thread or any other in Games it appears.

I can only imagine the sort of vile thoughts permeating a bunch of other sites. We are much better than that and I trust us to be able to post accordingly.

I will be monitoring this thread so we do not have another poster acting like 'Bad Day'.

while you're here could you kindly permaban bad day tia

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
We're about to see basically another round of gamergate. Possibly worse than before.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
I'm definitely not cheering for the dude's death. When I said 'I may get probed for this,' it's a remnant for leaving some really bleak poo poo in there about wanting him to stick around and loving suffer, not use his get out of jail free card. I am legitimately loving angry about a shithead stranger who, in this case, did take the coward's way out, and managed to make his swan song even worse for those he abused. He didn't even have the grace to die with loving dignity; no, he had to go out exactly the way he lived.

I only ever said that I don't feel sympathy for it. At all. Reading about it hasn't changed my stance. Maybe that makes me an awful human being, but I'm pretty sure saying 'no sympathy' as a response isn't 'I'm glad he's dead.' I'm really not glad he's dead. Suffering, not suffering, he unquestionably made life worse for the people around him with this one last act, and they'll have to live with it for the rest of their earthly lives.

Thing is, I know I'm getting out-of-proportion loving-- infuriated over this. I've been where those women have been. I thank some really strong people in my life for getting me out of the situations I've been in, and a really good doctors prescribing me crisis meds at exactly the right time, for exactly the right duration.

So, yeah, I'm loving mad. I'm sick to death of seeing this happen pretty much everywhere I turn, and seeing the women involved get either no closure, no help, or a giant loving dogpile for the bravery they showed in coming forward. I'm sick to death of finding out that so many things I liked or admired has some grotesque rape golem attached to it, even though I know first hand how prevalent it is, and really shouldn't be surprised. I'm sick to death of this poo poo:

bad day posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

--and all the shrieking manchildren that espouse it. Wondering when the next mic's gonna drop is exhausting, because there's always gonna be another one. There's always something. It never loving ends.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 31, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I feel really bad for Scott and Bethany man, to have a game with a message like Night in the Woods now become a rallying cry for all the worst people. Of course it's not really about the game, but geez that's cursed.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I think everyone reacting to this is in a very negative way needs to take a deep breathe and chill. I feel really bad for the family of this guy and those that worked with him. I also feel really bad for all of the victims, they’re going to get so much poo poo for this online that it can ruin their lives and mental health.

It’s such a poo poo situation

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Suicide should never be celebrated because it’s a selfish cowardly act

I'm just catching up to the thread but this is an incredibly poo poo opinion

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

This is a lovely situation and just about everyone in the peanut gallery is going to come out dirty

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i agree with scott in the kickstarter post when i say, we all need a loving nap

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

All I really care about right now is banning the gently caress out of gators.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Apropos of nothing else it is okay to just...take a break from poo poo for awhile when things like this happen, and I really encourage doing so. I make a point of just disengaging from social media for a little bit when things get to be too much and it is probably the best thing I can do for my own mental health. Hang out with friends being sweet and silly and avoiding The Discourse. Play a game that is lighthearted and fun and doesn't make you dig into the dark and the ugly and the complicated, not because the latter doesn't contain conversations that are important to have but because we can't always be doing that. The worst part of social media is the way it forces us to always be "on" when nobody can shoulder that.

If you have been affected by abuse, assault, or suicide, you are not alone, your experiences matter, and it is okay to have complicated and conflicting feelings about stuff like this. It is okay to not be okay.

I hope everyone's able to just kind of take a step back and breathe a bit. Neither the game nor the conversation is going anywhere, it's okay to chill for a bit rather than say things we might not mean in haste.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Miss Holowka has also switched her account to private. Probably due to the horrid poo poo infesting the comments.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
As a social media professional (In that I am paid to post on facebook and twitter), I think I can safely speak for everyone when I say that social media was a mistake.

DirtyWorker
Jun 19, 2004

What is Afrika.. You can not comprehend, what afrika is!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

As a social media professional (In that I am paid to post on facebook and twitter), I think I can safely speak for everyone when I say that social media was a mistake.

As a PR and communications professional, I agree. Social media has de facto ruined everything.

So, we're looking at Gamergate 2.0 now... Hope Zoe has a good support network. Nobody deserves this.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

DirtyWorker posted:

As a PR and communications professional, I agree. Social media has de facto ruined everything.

So, we're looking at Gamergate 2.0 now... Hope Zoe has a good support network. Nobody deserves this.

Gamergate in the Trump era. Jesus.

Get your networks up and keep 'em strong, folks.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I haven't checked this thread in a few hours and I've had some time to process thoughts on this, what's going....

Nevermind.

There is nothing I can say that is going to be... Worthwhile? To this main discussion so I'll just say this.

If you have a significant other, please surprise them with a date. Even if you dont have a lot of money, it can just be as simple as going to the park or window shopping together.

Ask your buddies for a night out with beer or board games.

Play your favorite games.

I don't know how we can appropriately respond to these events. So I'll just ask that we try to spread a little more cheer as it's so easy to forget what we live life for and people get caught up in the despair traps of social media.

Sorry if this is cheesy, this is all I wanted to say.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Somfin posted:

people are saying this as if the first round of gamergate ever ended. it just metastasized to the rest of society is all, and now it's going to be the same but worse

in all ways, the future is worse than today forever

DirtyWorker
Jun 19, 2004

Somfin posted:

Oxxidation posted:

people are saying this as if the first round of gamergate ever ended. it just metastasized to the rest of society is all, and now it's going to be the same but worse

Yeah, gamergate has been there since 2014, it's just been festering like a boil. Trump has emboldened them and they've got worse people behind them today than back in 2014. I was feed up and tired with GG last time they had any clout, I don't know if I can handle this landscape one more time. But then again, I can just ignore it too, that's my privilege. A lot of people don't have that privilege. So I feel I kinda have to be there for them. I don't know... :(

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

DirtyWorker posted:

Yeah, gamergate has been there since 2014, it's just been festering like a boil. Trump has emboldened them and they've got worse people behind them today than back in 2014. I was feed up and tired with GG last time they had any clout, I don't know if I can handle this landscape one more time. But then again, I can just ignore it too, that's my privilege. A lot of people don't have that privilege. So I feel I kinda have to be there for them. I don't know... :(

Self-care is important. You can't be any help to anyone if you follow this so closely that it impacts your mental health.

DirtyWorker
Jun 19, 2004

Pylons posted:

Self-care is important. You can't be any help to anyone if you follow this so closely that it impacts your mental health.

True. Thanks, I think I needed to hear that.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Oxxidation posted:

Sorry, let me rephrase.

GamerGate being explicitly revived in the Trump era.

Remember that GamerGate was always like, the movement that existed so that people could deny being part of it.

This is gonna be different, and it's gonna be worse.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Oxxidation posted:

not true, there continue to be Unsounded updates

...which admittedly make the future in Kasslyne worse

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, GG didn't vanish or get scrubbed out. It's like how pathologists describe a cadaver cold: let the virus sit around in a dead body for long enough, and it gets mean.

DirtyWorker posted:

As other people have said, you don't have to be 'on' all the time. You can take the time out for yourself to ignore it (this is encouraged), and still take the time to listen to the people in your life who are affected by it, with the understanding of what you just said: for some of us, there's no option to fully switch off. It may be possible to remove yourself from GG bullshit, or whatever, but signs of its underlying tenets (misogyny, racism, transphobia, homophobia, etc) are everywhere, in one form or another, so 'just walk away' isn't always plausible.

It is in this case, thankfully. GG occupies a very specific niche (games), and you have to go looking for it if you don't actively follow games threads/news/etc, but-- like, yeah, if folks who can switch off are looking to help folks that can't, listening is always a good way to do that.

Same w/ calling out the people in your own meatspace lives that are doing/saying some of the bad poo poo you see online. All ways of being there for the people caught up in it that doesn't include beating yourself in the face with a textwall hammer.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 1, 2019

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Kanine posted:

We're about to see basically another round of gamergate. Possibly worse than before.

what another round it never stopped

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think this is going to lead to some kind of resurgent gamergate. It'll just be another thing the same people throw around. Like other people have said, it never left.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

exquisite tea posted:

I feel really bad for Scott and Bethany man, to have a game with a message like Night in the Woods now become a rallying cry for all the worst people. Of course it's not really about the game, but geez that's cursed.

You know, I know this is bad timing, but it doesn't look like anyone in the thread is aware of it, so, sorry if this makes what's already a real bummer for everyone even worse, but Scott Benson isn't exactly a super-great person, either. To summarize the linked article, a trans woman who is herself stuck in a small, rural community, said some things about NitW not actually having the "great message" it's claimed to. The article was completely off the radar until Scott Benson went on Twitter to whine about it, provoking a protracted harassment campaign against a vulnerable person with little/no support network. Regardless of whether one agrees with the original article, this response was, at best, grossly irresponsible (working in games, one should know what happens when you complain about negative press to your fans, especially if it's from a woman), and he has, to my knowledge, neither apologized for nor even acknowledged the harm done. Again, sorry if this is in poor taste, but I felt it had to be pointed out.

As to the thing with Alec Holowka, Old Boot said pretty much everything I feel on the matter.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I was there when she posted that.
No one harassed her.
Benson said it was a bad take but did not post her name just posted that it was a bad take.
And it was a bad take that made up things about the game.

I don't know what your point is with bringing that poo poo here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i remember that shitshow when it first kicked off. the woman in question had a known history of harassing others and none of her allegations of death threats etc were ever verified, which is largely why the issue was dropped