Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I started with Slackware on a stack of floppies. :smug:

As far as “not having a stable ABI” no OS has a stable ABI. Nvidia Windows drivers are notorious for breaking between Windows updates.

If Nvidia gave any amount of care, they would stop trying to use a nasty wrapper that allows them to shoehorn their Windows driver on the kernel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no one gives a gently caress about grandma

get her an ipad and hope for the best :smith:

she likes her iPhone and her LTE Android tablet the dirtbag Verizon salesman talked her into buying instead of a new Jetpack

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ratbert90 posted:

As far as “not having a stable ABI” no OS has a stable ABI. Nvidia Windows drivers are notorious for breaking between Windows updates.

If Nvidia gave any amount of care, they would stop trying to use a nasty wrapper that allows them to shoehorn their Windows driver on the kernel.

you don't read posts do you

• solaris has an incredibly stable abi

to my knowledge there has been one abi breakage ever -- you can't load 32 bit drivers into a 64 bit kernel

• macos, hp-ux, aix, and windows have moderately stable abis

a driver written to spec on windows should last 5+ years before breaking

macos is worse

aix and hp-ux are less predictable but generally better -- binary drivers often last a decade or more

linux is the only operating system ever to become commercially relevant where driver abis change on every single point release

edit: to be clear i am not asserting that it is good or bad that the linux abi is unstable, only that it is unusual. no other succesful commercial os has ever done this.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pseudorandom name posted:

she likes her iPhone and her LTE Android tablet the dirtbag Verizon salesman talked her into buying instead of a new Jetpack

the only android tablet user ever found in the wild

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The only reason for Nvidia on an Linux is if you want to do compute, and the cuda stuff works fine.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you don't read posts do you

• solaris has an incredibly stable abi

to my knowledge there has been one abi breakage ever -- you can't load 32 bit drivers into a 64 bit kernel

• macos, hp-ux, aix, and windows have moderately stable abis

a driver written to spec on windows should last 5+ years before breaking

macos is worse

aix and hp-ux are less predictable but generally better -- binary drivers often last a decade or more

linux is the only operating system ever to become commercially relevant where driver abis change on every single point release

Lol at Solaris. we are talking about Desktop operating systems here chief.

If you want a stable Linux ABI for 5+ years you go with CentOS/RHEL.

If you want hardware that just works, get hardware that has drivers in the mainline kernel such as AMD Vega cards.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ratbert90 posted:

Lol at Solaris. we are talking about Desktop operating systems here chief.

it was a historical discussion. solaris used to be a desktop operating system. hell i had solaris desktops at work for many years. i even had a solaris (x86) laptop.

i almost adopted solaris at home when the "nevada" drops with early zfs happened and boy i feel like a dodged a bullet on that one

ratbert90 posted:

If you want a stable Linux ABI for 5+ years you go with CentOS/RHEL.

yes, the linux upstream obsession with breaking the abi has created a multi-billion dollar business in providing a stable abi

that say something about what customers want versus what kernel developers wish to provide

again, it's not a normative judgment. i am not saying it is bad that the kernel devs wish to break abi compatibility on a regular basis. but the facts are that they do, and there is a lot of money in creating a stable abi.

whether it makes sense for that money to be concentrated in the hands of Red Hat and SuSE is a different question.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

spankmeister posted:

The only reason for Nvidia on an Linux is if you want to do compute, and the cuda stuff works fine.

cad on linux is a non-zero market. just as an example, many of the big three contractors surrounding detroit had a lot of unix-specific tooling around their cad poo poo, and they remain reluctant to port to windows to this day. there's a certain amount of money in cad/cam on linux, and nvidia gets 100% of the gpu side of that market

theatre displays on linux is a significant amount of money for nvidia -- handling projectors and poo poo in a big loving auditorium. this is the major reason nvidia drivers handle multi-monitor worth a drat

oil/gas proprietary poo poo historically ran on irix and hp-ux and has been ported to linux, and requires a 100% compliant opengl stack -- that's another nvidia market

there are a lot of weird little niches where nvidia makes money on the linux market, and that's why they plow effort into the drivers

it is 100% definitely not for the benefit of the linux neckbeard home desktop market

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, make no mistake, nvidia graphics on linux is pretty big business, most likely rivaling all other workstation linux use in value (though there may be niches here that are hard to account for, but there wont be a lot of money in the hobbyist + development machine market). plus of course what "gpu compute" means today is literally nvidia gpus in linux rackmounts.

i haven't fiddled with the nvidia driver for a couple of years, but it is running a lot of stuff out there, and a lot of money is spent on stuff relying on it, so i don't expect they have broken it in some very dramatic way or i think we'd have heard about it from an nvidia earnings call by now.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
using cuda doesnt even require a lot of x11 stuff. pretty sure the people here are talking about drivers in relation to video games and poo poo my dude

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nvidia drivers are good as long as your linux desktop is a headless vm

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

feel free to skip the second sentence and focus on the first. if two things being mentioned in one post are too many to keep track of.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
this is the desktop linux thread which is what people are discussing hth

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pram posted:

this is the desktop linux thread which is what people are discussing hth

there's 642 pages of it, it's obvious it's not just about desktop linux

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
refusing to notice what people want to do and instead discussing server poo poo and operating systems only 30 people have ever used is the most linux thing

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

check out this nerd using desktop linux :newlol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kddqINA1vOA

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
If you want to use desktop Linux with Nvidia just disable kernel updates or use a LTS kernel. :shrug:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

akadajet posted:

check out this nerd using desktop linux :newlol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kddqINA1vOA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE5u96KK35k

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

If you want to use desktop Linux with Nvidia just disable kernel updates or use a LTS kernel. :shrug:

latest kernel with nvidia never seems to be broken on arch linux

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

ratbert90 posted:

don't cut yourself on the bleeding edge ! ! !

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
long term kernel versions are:

It’s almost like the mainline kernel developers realize that there is a need for a stable long term ABI and maintain several kernel versions with a guarantee of a stable ABI while at the same time developing new kernel versions without that guarantee.

If you want a stable ABI feel free to download any of those kernel versions. They are even listed in Kernel.org and many distributions including Fedora and CentOS/RHEL offer packages!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I’m glad I use operating systems where I don’t have to give a poo poo about kernel versions

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

akadajet posted:

I’m glad I use operating systems where I don’t have to give a poo poo about kernel versions

I use Fedora with AMD and haven’t cared about kernel versions in over a year.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

you have to do more hardware compatibility research with desktop Linux than you have to for hackintosh installs

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
gonn start a “linuxes for sure” certification business

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i like how no matter which os you use, you still have to mess with it a bunch to make it usable, after decades of experience designing oses

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

akadajet posted:

you have to do more hardware compatibility research with desktop Linux than you have to for hackintosh installs

biggest lie in this thread

who the fucks can be bothered to do a hackintosh install, it's computer people's walk to canossa

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Tankakern posted:

biggest lie in this thread

who the fucks can be bothered to do a hackintosh install, it's computer people's walk to canossa

it just works

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Broken Machine posted:

i like how no matter which os you use, you still have to mess with it a bunch to make it usable, after decades of experience designing oses

Last time I installed Windows, i had to install 2 things other than apps to get it going 100%.
MSI tool that scanned my hardware and downloaded the drivers, and the Nvidia driver. Both will keep themselves updated if I let them.

Linux(Fedora) just needed the Nvidia driver, which requires shutting down the GUI completely and installing it from the cli. You must do this every time the kernel updates, which seems to be about monthly.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Silver Alicorn posted:

I started on mandrake Linux :smug:

slackware lol. everything after seemed so easy

ratbert90 posted:

nice! i think i still remember the nic version I had to track down the source for and compile to get online

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

RFC2324 posted:

Linux(Fedora) just needed the Nvidia driver, which requires shutting down the GUI completely and installing it from the cli. You must do this every time the kernel updates, which seems to be about monthly.

everything just works in kubuntu with the nvidia binary drivers, across kernel updates

maybe you should use something better than fedora

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ratbert90 posted:

long term kernel versions are:

It’s almost like the mainline kernel developers realize that there is a need for a stable long term ABI and maintain several kernel versions with a guarantee of a stable ABI while at the same time developing new kernel versions without that guarantee.

If you want a stable ABI feel free to download any of those kernel versions. They are even listed in Kernel.org and many distributions including Fedora and CentOS/RHEL offer packages!

abis are not guaranteed to be stable between any releases

a driver compiled on 3.16.0 is not guaranteed, or even likely, to work in 3.16.73

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

using cuda doesnt even require a lot of x11 stuff. pretty sure the people here are talking about drivers in relation to video games and poo poo my dude

i just listed a bunch of commercial reasons for nvidia to have good x11 and opengl support

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Vomik posted:

gonn start a “linuxes for sure” certification business

akadajet posted:

dell and lenovo both already do this for you

almost any hardware will work, but dell and lenovo are happy to sell "certified" skus that cost extra

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Agile Vector posted:

i think i still remember the nic version I had to track down the source for and compile to get online

I had to get the source for X11 and then email the developers to get a patch for my graphics card and then spend a day compiling it from source, back in the day. S3 Virge UV or some poo poo back in 1997.

Redhat 3.0.3 for me, CD that came in the back of a book.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

feedmegin posted:

Redhat 3.0.3
word

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

feedmegin posted:

I had to get the source for X11 and then email the developers to get a patch for my graphics card and then spend a day compiling it from source, back in the day. S3 Virge UV or some poo poo back in 1997.

Redhat 3.0.3 for me, CD that came in the back of a book.

i had a boxed copy of redhat 5.2, from back when linux was a thing you could buy in a store

at the time i was a freebsd user so red hat was not all that impressive

edit: unlike freebsd, however, redhat worked well on my laptop. and it had sound. so i lived with linux for the sake of portability

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 31, 2019

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
redhat used to come with motif and cde if you bought the boxed copy

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the only android tablet user ever found in the wild

I have a Galaxy Tab S2 personally. Also apparently quite a lot of people buy those Amazon Fire things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lysidas posted:

everything just works in kubuntu with the nvidia binary drivers, across kernel updates

maybe you should use something better than fedora

honestly I just assume I have to reinstall the driver every time out of habit :shrug:

it worked with the built in drivers, but was slow on a few games