Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Anyone recommend a modpack where you start with a base?

Ideally I'd like a fun quest based pack where I have a starting area already built for me.

+1 for Material Energy^3 or 4. You start in a massive pre-built structure to explore and do the actual 'progression' in ME spatial storage dimensions. It's a very unique experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
These botania recipes in Volcano Block sure don't have much to do with plants anymore...

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Vib Rib posted:

Effortless Building.
Available from the second you start a new game (but still upgradeable as you progress), requires no special tools, has built in options for tiling, mirroring, radial building, etc. Also mass-places walls/roofs/floors, does diagonal slopes no problem, super easy to use.

Seriously just take a peek at the videos, you'll be sold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmYSV4z1UbE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GfNKw3bGhg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLg5JwdZJc4

And here's another one specifically showcasing roofs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLwh-SA8gOQ

I’ve used building gadgets several times, but this seems way better to start with. The copy-paste in gadgets is probably still better for complex structures, but the mirroring in this is super nice cause I can’t get away from symmetrical building.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

McFrugal posted:

These botania recipes in Volcano Block sure don't have much to do with plants anymore...

Botania is a tech mod, except the mod ores you find are on the surface, named 'flowers' and you can grow them

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I came back to the same pack nearly a year after playing mostly through it with goons until our servers kept crashing. This time I'm playing SP and I made a quick album of my setup in Enigmatica 2 Expert for automated processing of 5 NuclearCraft breeder reactors (plus a TBU Oxide reactor for extra uranium isotopes) and full automation of RTG creation through my AE2 system. I was struggling to interpret the notorious breeder reactor XNet spreadsheet, realized I'm already well into AE2 and have a much better infrastructure already setup, and moved fully to using it instead.

https://imgur.com/a/DFh79MI

Couple of changes, I now directly export all uranium ingots straight into the isotope separator instead of doing it on demand since I'm not currently using them for anything else (and not much is coming in right now anyway aside from what i get out of the tier 4 void ore miner) and added tiny piles of cm-245 to the decay hastener export bus.

Spent 2-3 hours trying to wrap my head around doing it through XNet, spent an hour setting this up in it's place. I let it run over night and woke up to about 50 RTGs, pretty good for not having a dedicated uranium influx and beats going hunting for dragon lairs for Cf-250, plus the TBU and LEU-235 reactors run nearly non stop and I'm pumping all of that power into uu-matter creation so that it's not going to waste.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
hahaha going from basically vanilla minecraft to all the mods 3 is loving blowing my mind

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

hahaha going from basically vanilla minecraft to all the mods 3 is loving blowing my mind

I highly, highly recommend joining one of the goon servers in the Private Servers subforum if you're new to lots of mods and it's melting your brain.

Though I miss that heavily modded server I played on back in 2016 I forget the name of. More multiplayer packs need Stargates. Anything without Stargates isn't worth playing.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 26, 2019

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You get plenty of ideas doing that. One of the iterations of Progress someone made an automated food dispenser for anyone that visited, I can't remember what food it was. Then the next I decided to make my own version with tofu meatlover's pizza in a vaguely pizzeria looking place and a fishing plant on the shore nearby that made sushi (that one was more because I didn't know what else to do with all the fish).

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the best kitchen sink pack and do mod packs have the new ray tracing stuff?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

What's the best kitchen sink pack and do mod packs have the new ray tracing stuff?

Ray tracing is in the other PC version. Also I'm pretty sure it would set my PC on fire if I tried to run it with mods.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Turtlicious posted:

Raytracing is for the Windows 10 "Bedrock" version. Mojang gave up on implementing shaders in the Java version about a week before the raytraced version was announced.

If you want shaders, install Optifine.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

xanthan posted:

Ray tracing is in the other PC version. Also I'm pretty sure it would set my PC on fire if I tried to run it with mods.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Turtlicious posted:

Per what I said in my previous post, the best kitchen sink pack is whatever has Stargates in it. I actually haven't really heard anything lately on the big, general-purpose kitchen sink front aside from All The Mods Remix and Enigmatica 2 (non-expert). So probably one of those.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm playing FTB Academy and I'm at the point where I really need to make some sort of mob farm, because I'll be hosed if I go out and try to hunt Endermen. I'll also be hosed if I have to build a mob farm because I am turbo lazy and the tutorials give no direction as to how. What's an easy mob farm blueprint I can use with Mob Grinding Utils?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Turtlicious posted:

The Direwolf20 pack or FTB Revelation are both good, stable packs. They're also popular, so it's easy to find information for them.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The mob farm I always do is to make a 20-block tall tower with a 3x3 space in the middle, then at the top make 6 block long, 3 block wide platforms in each cardinal direction. Then the corners are 3 blocks up from those. Make sure there's then three blocks of space above those corner squares so endermen can fit (and cover it over with a roof obviously), and use fans or those ground plates that push things in the channels to force any mobs into the center where they will drop.

Like so:

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Black Pants posted:

The mob farm I always do is to make a 20-block tall tower with a 3x3 space in the middle, then at the top make 6 block long, 3 block wide platforms in each cardinal direction. Then the corners are 3 blocks up from those. Make sure there's then three blocks of space above those corner squares so endermen can fit (and cover it over with a roof obviously), and use fans or those ground plates that push things in the channels to force any mobs into the center where they will drop.

Like so:

Yup, this is the one type of mob farm I learned how to make and I just repeat it in any pack that benefits from a mob farm. Vanillafied(or early skyblock for packs with SkyResources) version uses water in the channels to push and opened trap doors or carpet to trick mobs into walking over the edges (does not support spiders/endermen in that case).

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

It's a good design, although ugly as sin. If the pack has it, I like to upgrade to cursed earth and vector plates as soon as possible, so I can tuck the farm away somewhere unobtrusive.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Yeah nowadays there are quite a few mods with grinders that count as player kills which will always make them better than old-style droppers. Mob_grinding_utils where it shows up is perfect for it especially if you also have cursed earth. 13x13x3ish room of cursed earth, a few fans with upgrades, a mob masher with sharpness and looting, and an absorption hopper is fully automated and easily tucked in a corner to never bother with again.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Extra Utilities 2 is not in FTB Academy, so no Drop of Evil. :negative:

I’ll see if I can make one of these tonight.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

I'm a nodding noob and I've been loving Enigmatica 2 with other imps

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have made the horrible mistake of keeping all my metals melted in my Smeltery.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pollyanna posted:

I have made the horrible mistake of keeping all my metals melted in my Smeltery.

Congrats on your new electrum and invar.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m also learning that it is a fuckload of work to play modded Minecraft, jesus. I don’t know how people make youtube careers off it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Sheer inertia and being the one of the first, tbh

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I have a problem.

Can you guess what it is that I’m trying to do?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That seems like a lot of work for some cactus.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Black Pants posted:

Congrats on your new electrum and invar.

I just remember when some 1.7.10 mod introduced amalgam which was 1:1 iron and gold and did nothing just to gently caress with smelteries.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Double Punctuation posted:

I have a problem.

Why would you ever need a farm that big?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

The same reason one builds a giant array of mining lasers to pull out ore out of thin air. Because you can.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I'm in a sevtech game (age 3) and trying to really drill down on Blood Magic in a way I hadn't before, but I feel totally lost at basically anything to do with Demonic Will and will types and how I'm supposed to be managing it. Like the most I've managed is plunking down a crucible and a crystallizer to grow some shards for crafting. The text in the book seemed to indicate that killing poo poo affected a chunk's Will aura, but when I made the aura gauge everything was all 0s regardless of how much murder I'd performed.

(Plus anyone have any more efficient Age 3 LP generation tips? I've just been using sacrifice runes and running pigs from a farm over)

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
When I did Sevtech I used an Astral Sorcery regen ritual with the ritual anchor that makes it affect a different area. Plonked that anchor down on top of the altar, put down a ton of self-sacrifice runes and went to town with cutting.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Patware posted:

I'm in a sevtech game (age 3) and trying to really drill down on Blood Magic in a way I hadn't before, but I feel totally lost at basically anything to do with Demonic Will and will types and how I'm supposed to be managing it. Like the most I've managed is plunking down a crucible and a crystallizer to grow some shards for crafting. The text in the book seemed to indicate that killing poo poo affected a chunk's Will aura, but when I made the aura gauge everything was all 0s regardless of how much murder I'd performed.

(Plus anyone have any more efficient Age 3 LP generation tips? I've just been using sacrifice runes and running pigs from a farm over)

Demon will doesn't accrue from killing mobs. The only way to make the demon will in the air accrue is to burn will crystals. Normally, this is a 1 to 1 process -- you get as much will as it would have taken to generate the crystal in a crystallizer. However, if you run a Gathering of the Forsaken Souls ritual in the chunk with the demon will in the air, it'll provide a discount on adding crystals to existing crystal clusters in the chunk. From there, you can use the crack ritual (forget its full name) to make clusters with more than one spire automatically split off and drop crystals into the world. You can then collect these and feed them into a crucible to release the will into the air, completing a positive feedback loop.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
So apparently I'm bad but how do you automate the primordius in volcano block? I've never used ID before. Can't figure out how to export a specific amount of items from a list.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Depends posted:

So apparently I'm bad but how do you automate the primordius in volcano block? I've never used ID before. Can't figure out how to export a specific amount of items from a list.

You could just build up a backlog and have enough production to keep the thing full. No need for specific numbers of anything, just keep a full stack of all your most easily farmed materials in there.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
I just started playing Skyfactory 4 and so far I'm having fun making all the various saplings for Bonsai pots. Does anyone have and general tips and tricks I should be aware of? This is my first real modded minecraft experience after some aborted attempts at playing Peace of Mind a couple of times.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

I have a problem.

Oh poo poo i just looked at the minimap. That's a lot of greenhouse glass.

x1o posted:

I just started playing Skyfactory 4 and so far I'm having fun making all the various saplings for Bonsai pots. Does anyone have and general tips and tricks I should be aware of? This is my first real modded minecraft experience after some aborted attempts at playing Peace of Mind a couple of times.

If you're playing with the prestige system, rush to unlock hopping bonsai pots as soon as possible. You can get some basic automation set up using these and slab chests, and then expand on it with filing cabinets and a simple storage network.

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 2, 2019

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

MaliciousOnion posted:

Oh poo poo i just looked at the minimap. That's a lot of greenhouse glass.

Actually, looking into it, the greenhouse glass over the cactii doesn’t actually do anything. Too bad about all the other crops it does work on, such as every single crop and almost every tree from Pam’s. Luckily, I can automate it, so I can just stick the lapis and nether quartz and whatnot in an input chest, and use an exchanger or something to swap out the glass I currently have. This pack has RFTools Dimensions, so actually getting those resources is no problem.

These saguaro were a huge pain to get grown, moreso than building the entire rest of the farm. Yes, even the worms were easier. Each time one grows, it has a 1/20 chance to become a big one. Without all those bees, they each take hours to grow. All these apiaries combined get me one about every minute when filled, and I have to destroy each cactus manually if it’s not a big one. I have no idea if I could have just hand-assembled the cactii, but hey, I got it done.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

I have a problem.

You don't need a farm that big. Have you tried stacking greenhouse glass over a single crop? I'm pretty sure I saw a Reddit post in /ftb that said it stacks the effect.

fake edit: found it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ambaire posted:

You don't need a farm that big. Have you tried stacking greenhouse glass over a single crop? I'm pretty sure I saw a Reddit post in /ftb that said it stacks the effect.

fake edit: found it

Had I known that, I would have taken your advice. And, sadly, it’s a good thing I didn’t.

https://github.com/Ellpeck/ActuallyAdditions/issues/1278

e: Hope nobody figures out the cheese strats I used to get worms quickly with Thaumcraft. They might patch that, and I’d have to go back to my massive, ugly grass-growing machine. :ssh:

Double Punctuation fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 3, 2019