Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Still kinda funny that the best official Galvatron figure is the Energon one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Keldroc posted:

Not that so much as they just don't make many of them. I've heard it estimated that the average major 3rd party release is only 1500-3000 pieces. Fanstoys may have higher production than most but still, these are super limited items.

i think i'm just salty that i missed out on a lot of cool stuff. i am very tempted by the fan hobby Overlord though, and that is still available some places in the UK. he's masterpiece scaled, but overlord is meant to be giant so he's like 18 inches tall.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
FH Overlord is excellent.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DoctorWhat posted:

turning a realistic truck into a cheap cartoon takes a lot. most of the sides of the cab are in his shins.

Impressive, but not $400 impressive.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Especially with that repulsive back

I'm sure I can just get MP10 (or MPP10) custom painted to look like cartoon optimus for cheaper

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Or buy Magic Square Optimus for $100.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Burkion posted:

Especially with that repulsive back

I'm sure I can just get MP10 (or MPP10) custom painted to look like cartoon optimus for cheaper

The back looks a lot better in person. Photos flatten it out and make it worse than it is. It's not any bigger than MP-10's and it actually looks a bit better because it's filled out across the shoulders now. That said, the price is ridiculous, and Transform Element is a fine substitute.

Magic Square is hot garbage.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

FH Overlord is excellent.

Is that Double Evil? Because yeah, he’s crazy big. My dream is to find a cheap MMC Overlord.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They canceled the reissue so that will be hard to do.

But yeah, Double Evil fills the "I need a G1 Overlord" void.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
a reminder that Catalogs were awesome

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
<starts vigorously circling things on the screen>

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

We used to cut them out and make wish list collages so there was always a fistfight tie-breaker whenever either of us wanted the same thing.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Wow, MMC Saltus is just fantastic. I’ve been buying bots all summer long and he might be the one that just absolutely feels the best. Really great heft and the transformation is smooth as butter.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

in the early 90s i guess hasbro had reissued the combaticons in the UK. the wiki says they were released in 92 in europe but I was like 5 or so at the time of these events so I must have been pretty late to the party. it took forever for my parents to track down onslaught, we didn't have a lot of money at the time so the majority of my transformers were second hand, but onslaught we ended up buying new.

then the first time I tried combining Bruticus, onslaughts arm just sheared off at the shoulder joint. i was a very careful kid, and i think judging by what happened next there must have been some kind of manufacturing defect with them. my parents wrote a letter to hasbro to complain about it, and in response hasbro sent back a catalogue and said 'pick a thing you want and you can have it'.

that catalogue was amazing to me, it was full of transformers I had never seen in the shops here, idk if they had even been stocked in england.

anyway, I ended up picking Grimlock, and they threw in a free Gold Bug with him.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Surprised no-one has discussed the most important features of the Hasbro Unicron here...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So Siege Ratchet and Ironhide aren’t identical.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zark the Damned posted:

Surprised no-one has discussed the most important features of the Hasbro Unicron here...

Unicron Vores Galvatron HD 1080p

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Didn't Trypticon have swallowing action?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

And no gag reflex.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

yea the big trypticon has a throat and everything for eating the little headmaster dudes.

i stopped following transformers in the mid-2000s, i think the last one i bought was the energon shockwave toy, and since getting interested again i've been really impressed by how far the toys have come in terms of quality...

..except for what the gently caress are those updated titan master pretenders things? how did they make the pretender shells somehow even worse than the originals?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

juggalo baby coffin posted:

..except for what the gently caress are those updated titan master pretenders things? how did they make the pretender shells somehow even worse than the originals?
They're like five bucks. So your answer is "A budget of five bux"

Also if you're looking for 3P cheaper you can pick up used stuff at shows, or have goons ship you them or help in various ways.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Basically they mashed pretender, targetmaster, and headmaster* functionality into the same lil' robot at the cost of actually being able to transform. Which still isn't as good as what they did with that size class earlier, but it's got character recognition if you're into that.

*pretender titanmasters don't actually have real faces, although some still kinda work.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Awesome, hope Walgreens gets around to selling it at some point

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

They're like five bucks. So your answer is "A budget of five bux"

Also if you're looking for 3P cheaper you can pick up used stuff at shows, or have goons ship you them or help in various ways.

o, i'd never seen them on store shelves so I had no idea they were so cheap.

I dunno how many cons they do in the UK, but i'll check em out. i have pretty specific tastes in transformers, mostly the purple ones to be honest. a masterpiece astrotrain, blitzwing, octane, the insecticons, or devastator would be dope. Or the abominus team, i forget their name. i know some people manufacture MP scale figures of some of those but i'd appreciate knowing which are best.

it's weird that even in the 3rd party market there are barely any quintessons or junkions. there's the impossible toys quintessons, which look nice, but people are asking prices for em that are like equivalent to buying a deluxe 3rd party combiner set.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Awesome, hope Walgreens gets around to selling it at some point

Every now and then I'll check Walgreen's site, not unlike Charlie Brown looking for a Valentine's Day card in the mailbox.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

I dunno how many cons they do in the UK,
You just missed TFNation by a couple of weeks, and apart from that :shrug:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

You just missed TFNation by a couple of weeks, and apart from that :shrug:

aw poo poo i picked the wrong time to get back into transformers

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

o, i'd never seen them on store shelves so I had no idea they were so cheap.

I dunno how many cons they do in the UK, but i'll check em out. i have pretty specific tastes in transformers, mostly the purple ones to be honest. a masterpiece astrotrain, blitzwing, octane, the insecticons, or devastator would be dope. Or the abominus team, i forget their name. i know some people manufacture MP scale figures of some of those but i'd appreciate knowing which are best.

it's weird that even in the 3rd party market there are barely any quintessons or junkions. there's the impossible toys quintessons, which look nice, but people are asking prices for em that are like equivalent to buying a deluxe 3rd party combiner set.
Combiner Wars Devastator is basically Masterpiece level, at least in combined form. He's a joy. The individual bots have weaknesses but nothing dealbreaking, and you're probably there for the main event anyways.

and a thew review of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI8-2M1Xfls&hd=1

as for purple bots, you really can't go wrong with Masterpiece Shockwave. His transformation is a joy, too. There are good quality KO's that are like 60 bucks on ebay.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Keldroc posted:

It's called Fanstoys Sovereign and it's magnificent.

top 3 piece that I own, he's drat near flawless, and his presence is incredible - it's the first piece where i was like "wow OK I see" about Fanstoys stuff. It's a shame that you can barely touch anything Fanstoys without paying an arm and a leg right now.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Combiner Wars Devastator is basically Masterpiece level, at least in combined form. He's a joy. The individual bots have weaknesses but nothing dealbreaking, and you're probably there for the main event anyways.

and a thew review of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI8-2M1Xfls&hd=1

as for purple bots, you really can't go wrong with Masterpiece Shockwave. His transformation is a joy, too. There are good quality KO's that are like 60 bucks on ebay.

i picked up a second hand unite warrior bruticus a couple of days ago, and im really impressed with him. his legs articulate kind of weirdly (the hip joint is very high up) so i'm going to have to check out devastator. I was a huge devastator fan before I could even talk properly (apparently i used to go around the house saying DEM-A-STA-TOR), and for some reason the uk constructicons all came in yellow rather than the cool green on the tv show. I guess it was more realistic but not really the same. they also couldn't be combined into devastator, unless I was just stupid as a kid.

Did they shrink the masterpiece toys after the original masterpiece prime? I have him around somewhere and he's like a foot tall, but the newer ones are listed as being like 8 inches tall. Does that mean Legends Sixshot is already masterpiece scale?

sba posted:

top 3 piece that I own, he's drat near flawless, and his presence is incredible - it's the first piece where i was like "wow OK I see" about Fanstoys stuff. It's a shame that you can barely touch anything Fanstoys without paying an arm and a leg right now.

lmao the only fans toys stuff available on UK sites is Hot Rod, I wonder why

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yeah they refactored the MP scale around MP-10 and now the leaders are around 10 inches tall and everyone else is scaled appropriately to g1 toon scale charts.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Newer masterpieces are generally trying to be in scale with each other.

but true fans don't care about scale and go for the biggest one they can find

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

for some reason the uk constructicons all came in yellow rather than the cool green on the tv show. I guess it was more realistic but not really the same. they also couldn't be combined into devastator, unless I was just stupid as a kid.
That was a later thing where they were sold separately, in yellow, with no combiner kibble. I had Mixmaster in green that a friend sold me with no kibble and then got Scrapper myself, but in yellow, and had no idea how to combine them because they are both legs... and I didn't have the bit they attach to,. They were then re-issued in yellow at some point as a G2 set, with the kibble. If you still have them all then try hit up ebay for the bits and you can finally combine them.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

to me they should have made all the masterpieces much bigger because my brain feels a lot better about spending £100 on a 1 foot tall robot than a 9" tall robot.

Arquinsiel posted:

That was a later thing where they were sold separately, in yellow, with no combiner kibble. I had Mixmaster in green that a friend sold me with no kibble and then got Scrapper myself, but in yellow, and had no idea how to combine them because they are both legs... and I didn't have the bit they attach to,. They were then re-issued in yellow at some point as a G2 set, with the kibble. If you still have them all then try hit up ebay for the bits and you can finally combine them.

i wish i still had them, but I lost most of my early transformers years ago, probably at the point that they were just old toys and not yet priceless heirlooms. i recently lost a bunch of my old transformers when i discovered that the insanely lovely house we lived in was infested with black mold and it had gotten into the transformers too. i'm still trying to save a couple who have sentimental value but im probably going to get rid of the rest.

there's a couple of transformers from my childhood I really wish I still had:

- a big plane with a viewfinder on the back you could look in. I thought he was a G2 megatron or something but apparently not.
- a purple and transparent pink winged mini dino thing that breathed sparks
- a mini car with a colour changing front
- that grimlock hasbro sent me (some part of him broke and he vanished 'to be fixed' and never returned)

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 1, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Captain Invictus posted:

Newer masterpieces are generally trying to be in scale with each other.

but true fans don't care about scale and go for the biggest one they can find

That isn't even the biggest Prime you can buy right now
https://www.thechosenprime.com/LWAtlas

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that wording was specifically a layup for you to link the Big Boy. :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't even own that! You guys need to stop stereotyping me!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

to me they should have made all the masterpieces much bigger because my brain feels a lot better about spending £100 on a 1 foot tall robot than a 9" tall robot.

i wish i still had them, but I lost most of my early transformers years ago, probably at the point that they were just old toys and not yet priceless heirlooms. i recently lost a bunch of my old transformers when i discovered that the insanely lovely house we lived in was infested with black mold and it had gotten into the transformers too. i'm still trying to save a couple who have sentimental value but im probably going to get rid of the rest.

- a big plane with a viewfinder on the back you could look in. I thought he was a G2 megatron or something but apparently not.

the big plane is probably Skyquake. if MPs were bigger they'd be even more expensive, not just materials cost but shipping.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Then you'd be paying £170 for that 1 foot tall robot, though.

quote:

G2 Skyquake, one of the most notorious sufferers of Gold Plastic Syndrome.

quote:

- a purple and transparent pink winged mini dino thing that breathed sparks

G2 Sparkstalker

quote:

- a mini car with a colour changing front

This is one of the Color Changers. Either Gobots:

Or Drench:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

the big plane is probably Skyquake. if MPs were bigger they'd be even more expensive, not just materials cost but shipping.

hell yes, look at this big bobby!

man i thought he was so awesome. his forearms and the front of his hips broke off though, the plastic just rotted. is there an updated version anywhere?

edit:

Keldroc posted:

Then you'd be paying £170 for that 1 foot tall robot, though.

G2 Skyquake, one of the most notorious sufferers of Gold Plastic Syndrome.

G2 Sparkstalker

This is one of the Color Changers. Either Gobots:

Or Drench:

oh drat you got pretty much all of them. that wasn't the car, but googling him got me to his teammate, who is the one:

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 1, 2019