Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Just a heads up, the person who was accused of the abuse that led to the "games industry #metoo" movement that's been happening for the past week committed suicide. This is going to be weaponized by really disingenuous people any time an accusation pops up for years to come. So get ready for that poo poo.

And for the record it is genuinely sad that this guy killed himself despite his horrible behavior.

Noted shitstain The Quartering already did a video on it calling him 'another innocent victim of cancel culture'. So yeah, weaponization is already in full swing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Flytrap posted:

Noted shitstain The Quartering already did a video on it calling him 'another innocent victim of cancel culture'. So yeah, weaponization is already in full swing.

Gamergators are already victim blaming HARD, by calling the victim a murderer and poo poo like that.

:sigh: Twitter is gonna be hell for the following months or so.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This world is very bad.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Skwirl posted:

What's the story behind that? Was it supposed to be a Vertigo book or something?

The story I have heard from my FLCS owner, who I have known for 25 years and has no reason to lie to me, is that Wood wanted to wrap up DMZ in 60 issues but DC/Vertigo had him under exclusive contract for another year and insisted that he do another 12. As soon as he was done he went off to Image and pitched Starve, in which a chef is forced to do one more year of a TV show he no longer wants to do because he feels it's exhausted its potential after the female station runner tells him he's contractually obliged to do it.

Yep, no parallels with Karen Berger here, no sir.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Desperado Bones posted:

Gamergators are already victim blaming HARD, by calling the victim a murderer and poo poo like that.

:sigh: Twitter is gonna be hell for the following months or so.

This is despite the accused's sister flat-out saying "gently caress you to anyone who tries to use this as an attack on the victim"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

This world is very bad.

It is unbelievably terrible and I just can't figure out how to cope with this kind of horrible stuff that's now being spewed everywhere.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

This is despite the accused's sister flat-out saying "gently caress you to anyone who tries to use this as an attack on the victim"

No surprises they aren't listening to a womam

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Zoe Quinn deleted their Twitter, it seems.

I can't imagine the amount of undeserved hate and bile that's being spewed their way right now. :sigh:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ImpAtom posted:

You think their gonna listen to a different woman?

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Skwirl posted:

You think their gonna listen to a different woman?

There was some pretty scary posts that I reported, that were, "She must be stopped by any means necessary" and, "She needs to be put down," and "We need to take the laws into our own hands" sort of stuff.. It's pretty loving scary. They've whipped themselves into quite a fervor.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

All this time these abusive bigots denied up and down that harassment, doxxing, and encouraging people via social media and forums to en masse pile on someone they didn’t like had nothing to do with real life consequences like suicide, but the moment someone they support is impacted suddenly oh! it’s totally the victim’s fault?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

All this time these abusive bigots denied up and down that harassment, doxxing, and encouraging people via social media and forums to en masse pile on someone they didn’t like had nothing to do with real life consequences like suicide, but the moment someone they support is impacted suddenly oh! it’s totally the victim’s fault?

I guarantee no more than a tenth of these very upset thumbdicks have played Night in the Woods, a narrative-focused, largely non-violent indie game that ends up being largely about the necessity of learning how to gracefully adapt as the world changes around you.

This is all entirely because it's another chance to pile on Quinn, and out of seething resentment over the usual "men's rights" horseshit. It's a lot like Renfamous, really; Quinn became the generic face of the enemy for these people, despite her relative lack of influence in the industry they're ostensibly very concerned about.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Wanderer posted:

This is all entirely because it's another chance to pile on Quinn, and out of seething resentment over the usual "men's rights" horseshit. It's a lot like Renfamous, really; Quinn became the generic face of the enemy for these people, despite her relative lack of influence in the industry they're ostensibly very concerned about.

For the original gamergaters, Quinn is hate figure #1. Much like with everything the chuds get involved in, by this point they have their own narrative and history that has nothing to do with facts, but is the outcome of years of talking bullshit to one another.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Renfamous locked her twitter account because people are openly talking about how she needs to be "taken care of" in Quillette's The Quartering's mentions (they were among the first to weaponize Holowka's suicide against Zoe Quinn).

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 2, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Renfamous locked her twitter account because people are openly talking about how she needs to be "taken care of" in Quillette's The Quartering's mentions (they were among the first to weaponize Holowka's suicide against Zoe Quinn).

Hambly is the worst. He doesn't so much join fandoms as infect them.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I know a lot of women in games development and/or coverage who've gone dark because of that. If you said a thing about Holowka and Quinn, you've apparently gotten back on the chuds' hit list.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Do these people just think that sexual assault doesn't ever happen?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

E the Shaggy posted:

They know it happens, but they don't think it should be a crime. Because, if its a crime, then they will go to jail. So, they either normalized their own abuse internally and think this isn't a crime or they are fully aware that they're abusive and don't want to be punished for it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

E the Shaggy posted:

They don't think women are people, so it's not assault. They only think it's bad if the woman is attached to a man, in which case assaulting the woman is an affront to that man's masculinity.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/Dominique_Skye/status/1168574803051261954?s=19

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

E the Shaggy posted:

They think it happens, they think it happens a lot. They've just got a more dramatic variation of what most people think of sexual assault: when it happens, it involves a dark alley and a stranger. Also, the stranger is always a minority. In that perspective, they believe that there's an epidemic of rape, but all our hands are tied because these villainous manipulators who can't take a joke or are deliberately trying to target innocent men to ruin their lives.

Odds are, you can probably find someone in your life who believes that, likely a lot of people, though most know that saying it so bluntly could get them in trouble. The difference between Your Republican Aunt and your average chud is partly saying the quiet part loud, partly the chuds have a more relentless and seething hatred of women, but when you get to the nitty gritty, their worldview isn't that out of step with the norm.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/shane_holmberg/status/1168891743816900610

There really aren't words at this point, although I am eager to see how Blackface Lawyer tries to spin withdrawing the affidavits.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
So it turns out that Ty Beard's incompetence in amending his petition was to cover up his fraud.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I can't believe he was dumb enough to notarize something he didn't even see the guy sign. This whole thing is a comedy at this point.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Monaghan posted:

I can't believe he was dumb enough to notarize something he didn't even see the guy sign. This whole thing is a comedy at this point.

How has this dude managed to be an attorney for this long? Is this his first case?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

E the Shaggy posted:

How has this dude managed to be an attorney for this long? Is this his first case?

Trying this kind of lawsuit, yes. It seems his firm strictly specialized in probate stuff and the like before this so he's kind of flying blind.

He's in Mensa, though! That's.... a thing!

PST
Jul 5, 2012

E the Shaggy posted:

He's previously been sanctioned for filing false subpoenas.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Like, that has to rise to the level of Vic being able to sue for malpractice, right?

PST
Jul 5, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Like, that has to rise to the level of Vic being able to sue for malpractice, right?

Lawtwitter has had multiple discussions on it which until this last week came back to it being hard tondo because the entire suit was stupid so it's tough to argue any lawyer could have reasonably prevailed.

However there's been a bunch of things in the last 5 days which have shifted that to 'yeah a malpractice lawyer could get something out of this'.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

PST posted:

Lawtwitter has had multiple discussions on it which until this last week came back to it being hard tondo because the entire suit was stupid so it's tough to argue any lawyer could have reasonably prevailed.

However there's been a bunch of things in the last 5 days which have shifted that to 'yeah a malpractice lawyer could get something out of this'.

is there somewhere I can read a good summary of this legal clusterfuck

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

is there somewhere I can read a good summary of this legal clusterfuck

Yeah, I'd love a good rundown that's not a twitter thread.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-09-04/updated-law-and-disorder-mignogna-counsel-files-rescinds-affidavits-in-3-days/.150613

Probably the best outside of Twitter.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Farms have apparently turned on That Umbrella Guy pretty hard, once again eating their own. They say they've fund his picture and his workplace, but honestly it's not like his real name isn't common.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

The Farms have apparently turned on That Umbrella Guy pretty hard, once again eating their own. They say they've fund his picture and his workplace, but honestly it's not like his real name isn't common.

WTF? He was an anti-bullying therapist!? This poo poo can't be real.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Probably why he knows how to do it so well.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I wouldn't recommend seeing what those people say about anyone, for any purpose, unless it somehow contributes to shutting them down.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

I would not imagine Chuck Huber was a flat earth crackpot. That really says a lot about the people who are coming to Vicks defense.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I know his name is the same as one of the actors in Harry Potter because he accidently doxxed himself when someone said something about that actor that he interpreted as a personal attack. Not one of the famous ones.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Skwirl posted:

I know his name is the same as one of the actors in Harry Potter because he accidently doxxed himself when someone said something about that actor that he interpreted as a personal attack. Not one of the famous ones.

No, it was even dumber than this. Someone's twitter handle had the actor's name in it and his WIFE took it as a personal attack, thereby doxxing her own husband in the process.

They still managed to blame Renfamous for this even though she wasn't even involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Viridiant posted:

No, it was even dumber than this. Someone's twitter handle had the actor's name in it and his WIFE took it as a personal attack, thereby doxxing her own husband in the process.

They still managed to blame Renfamous for this even though she wasn't even involved.

I just can't, I loving can't.