Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Paper Kaiju posted:

The first Star Trek film has also gotten a lot of positive reevaluation lately, especially for being the only film in the series to retain the actual tone of the show.

I feel like Voyage Home is close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

wdarkk posted:

I feel like Voyage Home is close.

It is, but it also veers a bit too much into comedy for me to consider it tonally consistent with the show.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The show, whose tone was consistent with precisely gently caress-all

the one with the gunfight at the ok corrall
the one with the swinging sixties spy
the one where kirk reads the constitution
the one with the space hippies

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Khan, Undiscovered Country, and Beyond.

Voyage Home is fine too though.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

hexwren posted:

The show relied heavily on what props/sets they could get access to that week

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Khan, Undiscovered Country, and Beyond.

Voyage Home is fine too though.

For me: Khan, Voyage Home, and Undiscovered Country. Search for Spock, First Contact, and Beyond are okay but nothing more.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

zenintrude posted:

I really wish there was a sci-fi show around today built around this concept.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Star Trek 4 is absolutely similar to some of the corny time travel shenanigans episodes they did on the show. Whereas Star Trek 1 is also similar to an episode of the show, because it actually literally is almost the same plot as several of them. But with a bunch of special effects scenes added, and kind of a more serious tone.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

zenintrude posted:

I know that, I'm saying that trying to use the original series as a barometer of seriousness is a fool's game

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

hexwren posted:

I've been watching a lot of The Andy Griffith Show lately for a podcast and this seems pretty true of most scripted TV in the 1960s. I think there were a lot of rules about content (what you couldn't say or show) but absolutely no rules on editorial/style - plus a lot of writers had been taken from radio and no one really knew/had standards for writing for television yet. Plus, they weren't writing to be re-watched or binged, the idea of syndication was still brand new, so they thought they were creating something mostly ephemeral, making continuity a secondary priority. Plus, as previously mentioned, a lot of it was just "what studio resources can we get this week?"

The plot of Andy Griffith Show Episode 1: A little boy is sad because his new caretaker doesn't know how to play stickball.
The plot of Andy Griffith Show Episode 2: There is an escaped convict prowling through the woods outside Mayberry, there is a state-wide manhunt for his arrest, he has stolen an officer's gun and he is taking hostages, and only Andy has the knowledge of local landmarks that can take him down.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

feedmyleg posted:

bring back sliders

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Peanut President posted:

bring back sliders

Go to White Castle

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Waffleman_ posted:

Go to White Castle

eurgh gross

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Peanut President posted:

bring back sliders

Honestly I'm baffled it's not back yet. The CW seems like a completely ideal place for it alongside Legends of Tomorrow and whatnot.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

jisforjosh posted:

My gf caught me completely off-guard and surprised me with a 3+ week late birthday present

That's :krad:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Doctor Who still is a little bit.

They're really both equivalent to each other in that they're a show that's designed so that they can be any genre and any setting any week; whatever the writers want, they can just do on the next planet.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

MikeJF posted:

Doctor Who still is a little bit.

They're really both equivalent to each other in that they're a show that's designed so that they can be any genre and any setting any week; whatever the writers want, they can just do on the next planet.

I'm a huge DW fan, but I'd love a 22-episode season show doing this kind of thing. It just brings a different tone to the whole thing.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

This, my dear, is The Zybourne Clock

My exact same thought.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Vargo posted:

I've been watching a lot of The Andy Griffith Show lately for a podcast and this seems pretty true of most scripted TV in the 1960s. I think there were a lot of rules about content (what you couldn't say or show) but absolutely no rules on editorial/style - plus a lot of writers had been taken from radio and no one really knew/had standards for writing for television yet. Plus, they weren't writing to be re-watched or binged, the idea of syndication was still brand new, so they thought they were creating something mostly ephemeral, making continuity a secondary priority. Plus, as previously mentioned, a lot of it was just "what studio resources can we get this week?"

The plot of Andy Griffith Show Episode 1: A little boy is sad because his new caretaker doesn't know how to play stickball.
The plot of Andy Griffith Show Episode 2: There is an escaped convict prowling through the woods outside Mayberry, there is a state-wide manhunt for his arrest, he has stolen an officer's gun and he is taking hostages, and only Andy has the knowledge of local landmarks that can take him down.

Upstairs, Downstairs ran in the UK (and worldwide) in the 1970s. It wasn't initially written to be shown in reruns, but was written meticulously as there were still many people still alive from its timeframe - roughly 1905-30 - and it wanted to be accurate as possible.

It also had to handle a small budget. It was rare to have all the main characters in a single episode. Besides money, many had theatrical and other commitments. Before any episodes were written each year, the showrunners came up with episode topics and characters to be used in them, based on who was available. The show rarely went outdoors because of budget constraints. There was a whole season about World War I and not a single battlefield was seen as it instead focused on the homefront.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Guess what movie this is about from the poster.

Every poster I saw for this looks so sinister.

A bit better.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...CM Punk is gonna be in a movie with Siobhan from Banshee? Huh, I'm interested.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

...CM Punk is gonna be in a movie with Siobhan from Banshee? Huh, I'm interested.

Yeah he's been in a couple horror movies now and TONIGHT he's gonna be at ALL OUT

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The trailer for Tall Girl is hilarious, it's like Gandalf in the Shire.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Veib posted:

The trailer for Tall Girl is hilarious, it's like Gandalf in the Shire.

Yeah, they overdid it quite a bit. The girl is 6'1 and they have her looking like Lisa Leslie or something.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Did anyone else get real excited at the big SHANE CARRUTH and then crashed back down when it just said "starring"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Why do I feel like this movie had already come out three or four times?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Trying to remember... there was Laika yeti movie, smallfoot, I think there was some other yeti movie was out at the same time if those and was the "bad one", mixed with memories of monster Inc yeti and other yeti and not remembering if they were ads for more yeti movies i did not want to see or something i actually watched

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Why do I feel like this movie had already come out three or four times?

Other people have pointed out that this is the third major yeti/bigfoot cryptid movie to come out in a year but also it being a big friendly blue thing with a pronounced lower jaw and large rounded teeth is something Wonder Park and the next Pixar movie are doing around the same time.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Angepain posted:

Did anyone else get real excited at the big SHANE CARRUTH and then crashed back down when it just said "starring"

:same:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Oh diablo canyon two, why can't you be more like diablo canyon one.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Angepain posted:

Yeah, that was a rollercoaster. I'll probably check it out though anyway.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Sleeveless posted:

Other people have pointed out that this is the third major yeti/bigfoot cryptid movie to come out in a year but also it being a big friendly blue thing with a pronounced lower jaw and large rounded teeth is something Wonder Park and the next Pixar movie are doing around the same time.

I swear I started seeing posters for Abominable in January with no explanation for what the movie was supposed to be. Just a set of eyes and some fur you could touch with the title emblazoned across the bottom. Now, after several months of near radio silence, I'm getting bombarded constantly with ads for it.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Is abominable the one where they refused to release a trailer? I'm sure we talked about it in here before.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yes, that was the one where the poster was released and there was absolutely no trace of the trailer on the internet.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I could've sworn I saw that trailer in theaters. Maybe before Toy Story 4?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Which one was the Zendaya is Michee one?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Vincent posted:

Which one was the Zendaya is Michee one?

Smallfoot

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Rageaholic posted:

I could've sworn I saw that trailer in theaters. Maybe before Toy Story 4?

I was gonna say I saw one before I saw Lego Movie 2 but that was actually the Missing Link which looks Aardman as hell.

I saw the trailer for Wonder Park that night too and it seems like it was just vignettes about rides at a park. Like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory but without the mind numbing horror, so I bet there's a small subset of parents already wearing out a DVD of it for their under 3 yo

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'm assuming TERMINATOR gets so many story credits because it's, you guessed it, part of a planned trilogy. Those names are basically the writing room that Cameron put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

They're preparing us for the reveal that big foot is real and also real friendly.